Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man, that is quite the long-distance flight. I wouldn't want to do that without (level)autopilot and time acceleration. What altitude are you flying at?

About 550 meters through dense cloud the whole way. Haven't seen a single allied fighter he, knock on fuselage.

On approach to the factories. I don't imagine the flight out will be as easy.

Our flight got hit by a couple nieuport 17s and we downed them. My pilot got wounded and the right radiator is out. The engine is at about 80% throttle and I think the cloud cover is the only thing keeping it from totally overheating.

I have lost sight of my squad but Nieuport is below. We're finally almost in friendly territory.

Edit: Added quote because posting on a phone is slow and missed a page.

The engine poo poo out finally when I was approaching the base and it tumbled out of the air from 50m killing all the crew.

A+ Would Gotha again. :v:

BillyJoeBob fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh also, we should really do what myself and some guys I know did in IL-2, which was to have two fully-crewed (with humans - or as close to fully-crewed as possible) Heinkels and (try to) duke it out with each other high in the skies; except obviously in RoF's case we'd be doing it with Gothas, or something similar.

Best outcome: When one gets damaged and/or desperate enough (and still has its payload) and attempts to fly directly over the other plane, dropping its bombs on the way, in an attempt to blow up the other bomber and HOPEFULLY make it out themselves!

EDIT: vvv Forgot about that. But yeah, definitely no Brenners. And no dual-MGs either, possibly?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 10, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gothas can take 20mm becker cannons with HE shells, so assuming someone is a decent shot, lining up for broadsides is gonna end really quick.

Might be better to use Handley Pages. Or just a "No Beckers" rule.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Then that just means I have to nail someone midair with a Davis gun. I do want to gun for a fully equipped Felixstowe though, I have the pleb model still.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Davis gun, at least on the Felixstowe, has a really limited angle of fire due to the backblast needed to clear the top of the wing.

If people really wanted, I could use PWCG to generate a Felixstowe sea patrol for multiplayer. It'd potentially be a bit boring though because they tend to be longish flights with no promise you'll run into ships.

It'd almost certainly be boring and end in Goons shooting eachother before we got halfway there.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 10, 2014

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Oh also, we should really do what myself and some guys I know did in IL-2, which was to have two fully-crewed (with humans - or as close to fully-crewed as possible) Heinkels and (try to) duke it out with each other high in the skies; except obviously in RoF's case we'd be doing it with Gothas, or something similar.

Best outcome: When one gets damaged and/or desperate enough (and still has its payload) and attempts to fly directly over the other plane, dropping its bombs on the way, in an attempt to blow up the other bomber and HOPEFULLY make it out themselves!

EDIT: vvv Forgot about that. But yeah, definitely no Brenners. And no dual-MGs either, possibly?

I was actually going to try to get 2 full Felixstowes going, but we only had 5 or 6 people, which is only one planes worth. Also if you're flying low enough, the Handley Page's 1300kg bomb has a big enough blast and long enough delay to blow whoever's chasing you out of the sky. Ask Galaga about it!

Edit: I'll get a steam group up. We could just randomly hop onto servers and gun for each other. The problem I'm running into right now is an abbreviation for the group. Everything seems to be taken.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 10, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Minimum crew for a Felixstowe is 4 (Pilot, Nose gunner, Dorsal Gunner, Waist Gunner) and honestly the Waist gunner has such a lovely FoV he's not worth manning. I guess if you insist on mounting the top-wing turret bin and a co-pilot with a lewis gun, the crew requirement goes up to 6, but ehh. 2-3 goons to a Felix would be enough. Unless the Felix gets jumped by aircraft, the only gunner who'd be doing anything anyways is the nose gunner operating the bombsight or the Davis-gun (if mounted).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Major Isoor posted:

Just reply. This VVVVV thing is dumb.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
Is there any good way to attack two seaters in this game? The predictable damage model seems to favor them to the extreme since all they need to do is be in the air at all to be a serious threat. The gradually worsening condition that shooting nearly always tends to cause in this game means you need to do a lot of sustained damage on them to bring them down and there's not really such a thing as one lucky hit on the gunner/pilot, it seems to always take 4. Meanwhile they really only need to hit me once as doing so worsens my condition and I need every inch of performance to fight them with. I thought attacking them from below sounded good but then I get hit like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrFMAr5rTLw because the gunner is able to fire at this angle.

I'm tempted to remove these things from campaign, I doubt a gunner shooting through his own fuselage to hit me is historical and it's getting to the point where I'm just going to ignore any I see as it's way too dangerous in which case they might as well not exist. I can easily kill them only if I decide to pull right up on their tail and unload into them for a phyrric victory that kills my engine and wounds me which isn't that fun.

I'd also be very open to a mod that makes pilot hits more deadly and maybe slightly increases damage across the board if I could figure out how to do it. I think a 50% chance of being wounded and a 50% chance of being dead in one hit, and a 100% chance of being dead on the second would be more accurate to the experience of getting shot with a machine gun than 3 guaranteed wounds before death.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 10, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Shine posted:

Just reply. This VVVVV thing is dumb.

Oh, sorry I didn't realise is was an issue - I'll refrain (or at least attempt to, heh; old habits die hard..) from doing so immediately.

Also, if I may ask, what's the main issue with it? I normally bold it to differentiate it better (didn't that time though, as I'm at work and need every second (although that isn't stopping me from posting in/reading this thread now and again, heh) as I can get, so I didn't bother typing the tags.) from the rest of the text, but is there another issue that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for the heads-up, and not being merciless! :shobon:

(EDIT: Re-read your post and OK I kinda get you there for that particular instance you quoted. But what about my saddowns one, where there's not really enough to warrant a new post? Or if it's just an acknowledgement where it doesn't really matter if they see it or not, like if you're asking them a question?)

..and on a related note, I forgot about the Felixstowes! They also seem to be able to endure quite a lot of punishment too, which will potentially make fights more interesting/drawn out.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 10, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Is there any good way to attack two seaters in this game?

Have a period training poster that answers this question:

First Step
Attacker: Attack machine directly behind and below.
Defender: Enemy gun unable to bear on you.

Second Step
Defender: Enemy machine banking in attempt to bring his rear gun(s) on you.
Attacker: Turn in opposite direction of enemy bank to foil them from getting their gun(s) on you.

Third Step
Attacker: Regain a favorable attacking position by turning into the enemy.
Defender: Enemy machine trying to come out of bank as the evasive maneuver has failed.

Fourth Step
Go back to First Step

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

The way gunners are in the game right now you get hit during step two. They fire very sparingly but when they do it's very accurate and frequently at absurd angles.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I was attacking Halberstadt CLs (same plane as in your picture) just fine in my SE5a PWCG campaign yesterday. In fact, I think they only hit me once or twice, and apparently nothing serious. Granted, I was mostly bouncing them from above and trying to never stay at the same speed or level as them. It also helps to attack in a group.

This is helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTTgN05_1ZM

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
There are mods that will restrict the gunnery on the AI a bit more so they can't do dumb AI stuff like being able to fire through their own aircraft's wings and structure to get at you.

Here's the compilation that includes it, might help.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I use a few pieces of that, mostly cosmetic stuff and removing ambient flak (which seems silly and unrealistic to me). I used to use the damage model changes, but after taking them off, I honestly prefer the normal version.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Hm, I tried that mod but it caused me to get hit at an angle that looked just as weird to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfzxxcxvms and also caused the veteran se5 I brought to help get killed nearly instantly from the greatly increased density of fire he was putting out, as the ai doesn't seem to know how to use either attacking from underneath or bouncing. Bouncing seems more viable than attacking from underneath but I'm still getting hit in both the dive and while zooming away (1 or 2 bullets is often all it takes to give me the oil face of slow engine death) and it's difficult to deal much damage as well. What exactly is the situation here, am I doing something wrong, or were two seaters really this deadly and I'm having historical problems, or was I correct in assuming that two seaters being this deadly is a quirk of the game's ai and damage model? If the former I'd like to know but I still expect to address it with mods as no matter how much I perfect my strategy they're still going to be a huge problem for my ai teammates. You seem knowledgeable about this pixelbaron, I'm curious if you're able to consistently destroy two seaters without damage?

I notice in the comments of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTTgN05_1ZM that the video poster notes that he's not willing to engage two seaters with ai gunners since they have perfect aim. The gunners in that video are apparently human.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 10, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Granted, it might be PWCG using different AI skill values than RoF Skirmish/Career standard, but I took down three Halberstadts CL.II in two sorties taking only extremely minor (as far as I could tell) damage. I'll start up a quick Skirmish and see what happens.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Now that I have successfully shot down biplanes in an Albatross I tried making a PWCG German campaign but all the available squadrons fly Fokker D.IIIs which I don't own. What am I doing wrong?

I could just fly Nieuports for Britain.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

My experience with pwcg is actually what I was actually basing my initial observations on. I started a career with no.24 squadron flying dh2s and the couple dogfights I got with fokker eindeckers were great fun but 90% of the time I only saw wings of 4-5 roland cIIs endlessly circling which are difficult and dangerous for me to deal with in an se5, let alone a dh2. I was thinking of just reassigning all the roland squads to fly eindeckers. But I want to see if I'm doing something wrong before I make such a big compromise to the authenticity of the game.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 10, 2014

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Is there any way to get gunner not to just call it a day when a plane exits their field of fire?

Dude just sits down and chills while the fighter sets up for another pass.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Major Isoor posted:

(EDIT: Re-read your post and OK I kinda get you there for that particular instance you quoted. But what about my saddowns one, where there's not really enough to warrant a new post? Or if it's just an acknowledgement where it doesn't really matter if they see it or not, like if you're asking them a question?)

IMO if somebody just edits in an emoticon or a "Thanks!" or something, then it's whatever. I think it's just weird to do when you're editing in a future-reply that contributes to the conversation/asks somebody a question, when doing the future-reply thing makes it less likely that the person you'll replying to will see the reply, y'know? That said, I will also freely acknowledge that this is basically my personal mod pet peeve, and if you asked AxeManiac for his opinion he'd probably just laugh and drink vodka and forget what you'd asked him.

I'm hella happy to see this thread getting so much activity already. This game is hella cool and I'm so glad this ridiculous Indie Gala deal came about and gave everybody a dozen keys or whatever. Gonna get everybody I know to buy a joystick and play this game :allears:.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, do what is fun for you, Owlsley. I'll say this though, the DH2 is a poor match up for a group of Rolands (which actually have a significant performance advantage over the DH2, such as 30kph of top speed over the DH2), especially if they're in a Luftbery Circle like you're describing.

Honestly I haven't had that kind of trouble, and I'm not really sure why. It could just be a difference in tactics, I mostly try to boom and zoom them, I only stay level if I notice their gunner is dead, and I certainly wouldn't attack a two-seater solo if I had a choice. I took 4 Veteran SE5s against 3 Average Halberstadts in the Skirmish a few times, starting my group with about 500m of altitude advantage and in 3 bouts I took down one in each fight, with one fight being ended by collision with a Halberstadt (not the one I was diving on, I should not have chosen the middle Halb to attack), second ended early due to snapping my own wings in an overly high-G maneuver (I don't believe I had been hit up to that point).

The third skirmish I critically damaged the first Halb when I my pilot took a hit on the zoom climb, I kept fighting, finishing the first halb though it scored a hit on my engine when I got sloppy due to the injury and fought in a much more horizontal approach. I was even able to keep nursing the engine long enough to put a few more rounds into it before my engine died completely. My wingmen were mostly useless, except as a distraction, as far as I could tell. That said, the Skirmish Halberstadts behaved pretty differently, in my PWCG they tended to stay close to eachother, but their formation kind of fell apart when we attacked. These three just played follow the leader in a line formation.

This was played with mods disabled, PWCG career has apparently been without mods as well. I forgot to turn the "Enable Mods" button back on when I helped Artless figure out servers a few days ago.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

I'd say about one per engagement with damage involved the majority of the time is about my success rate as well. I'm not very inclined to take odds like that in a career that I've invested time into, but considering they're by far the majority of what I see in 1916 campaigns the situation needs to be refined somehow. The circle they do is the only reason I'm able to intercept them at all and when I do it's usually like I said a phyrric victory. That makes sense to see in the world but it's not great when they're a vast majority of the enemies. I think I'll look into touching up the damage on guns a bit, maybe reduce the effectiveness of ai gunners a bit and maybe replacing a few roland squads with eindecker squads to make the campaign more fun for me personally.

Also, maybe I'll see if I can tweak the fokker dvii ai parameters until he can beat my sopwith triplane in a dogfight.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 10, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Shine posted:

IMO if somebody just edits in an emoticon or a "Thanks!" or something, then it's whatever. I think it's just weird to do when you're editing in a future-reply that contributes to the conversation/asks somebody a question, when doing the future-reply thing makes it less likely that the person you'll replying to will see the reply, y'know? That said, I will also freely acknowledge that this is basically my personal mod pet peeve, and if you asked AxeManiac for his opinion he'd probably just laugh and drink vodka and forget what you'd asked him.

I'm hella happy to see this thread getting so much activity already. This game is hella cool and I'm so glad this ridiculous Indie Gala deal came about and gave everybody a dozen keys or whatever. Gonna get everybody I know to buy a joystick and play this game :allears:.

OK yeah that's fair enough; I personally tend to keep that sort of edit to "low-priority" things like saying thanks (if I'm not including anything else), etc. as you mentioned. (since otherwise it's easily missed, as you said earlier)

But anyway, to whoever mentioned earlier that they were going to make a goon group for RoF, did you wind up creating one? If so/not yet, would you mind posting a link for it? I've gotta get in on some of that goon RoF action ASAP!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I think the Albatross D.V is my new favorite plane. I started a German career to see if it would be fun, and I got 2 balloons and a Nieuport on my first sortie. Then I landed in a field because my engine poo poo itself, but I'm just accepting that as standard now.

e: As far as I know, I didn't overspeed it (I put my throttle to about 5% do dive on the balloons) and I didn't get shot. It just seemed to spontaneously start pissing out oil after I shot the Nieuport. His friend was getting hosed up by my 4 squadmates about 2km away at the time, and there wasn't any flak.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 10, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I am averaging 1-3 kills per sortie with my Jasta 11 pilot, my most recent patrol had my flight of three Albatros face down 3x Nieuport 17s and a couple of Camels. Thankfully the Camel pilot was horrible and I was able to get an easy kill. I am much more familiar now with how certain planes perform so I feel like I am picking my fights better, which allows for more kills.

I have 13 kills now :colbert:

e: I still think the Albatros D.V is a dog, but overall it's pretty stable for shooting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Leo Showers posted:

I am averaging 1-3 kills per sortie with my Jasta 11 pilot

I have 13 kills now :colbert:

Speaking of Jasta 11. In my own PWCG career I got injured again and only returned to active duty two months later (again) in early March 1918. Out of curiousity I checked to see if Jasta 10 (the bastards who killed Captain Thomas and injured me) and Jasta 11 of JG1 were still in the region.

They are, and they're still stationed at the enemy aerodrome closest to my own. Jasta 11 is now exclusively equipped with the Dr.I Triplane, and Manfred von Richtofen is back in charge of Jasta 11 after being injured himself in late 1917. Also Germany has now begun its last-ditch 1918 Spring Offensive.

I am afraid, very, very afraid. :ohdear:

And yeah, the Alb D.Va isn't a stellar plane, but its very competent and good for beginners. If Jasta 11 is issued any, try giving the Pfalz D.IIIa a try. Also grats, 13 kills in how many sorties? My SE5a career is at 6 kills in 4 sorties (over 4 months, loving injures :cripes:) now. By the way, when is your career set if you're still regularly seeing Nieuport 17s?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 10, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It's now the end of July 1917 in my campaign and we've had a string of casualties among some of the poorer-scoring members of Jasta 11. Richthofen is back from a short stint away, I wish we'd have Kurt Wolffe or whoever back, because he was getting a ton of kills per mission. I'm just treading water until I can use that amazing Dr.I

e: 8 Sorties, and I've been forced down 2 times.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 10, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
A selection of reading material, for those that might be inclined:

Somme Success

Bloody April

Aces Falling

Winged Victory

Sagittarius Rising

Black Fokker Leader

The Red Fighter Pilot

Goshawk Squadron

Guns of August

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

When I do a German career I plan on starting in some other Jasta, and once I get some decent successes under my belt I plan to have myself transferred to Jasta 10. When Jagdgeschwader 1 was formed in June 1917 and Richtofen put in command, he was given free reign to transfer in and out basically any pilot he wished and became infamous for basically sucking up all the best pilots across the various Jastas, creating an elite unit in JG1 but lowering the average quality of most other units. Though JG1 itself suffered quality wise in late 1917 when the Luftstreitkräfte doubled the number of Jastas and put many of Richtofen's best pilots in command of their own units. A future career opportunity for you, perhaps?

After I get more success in Jasta 10, I'll throw myself in Jasta 11 and fly alongside the best. I'm being too roleplay-ey. :shobon:

13 in 8? Not bad. I'm on course to be roughly par for that, and I'm not facing quite as outdated competition on average I think. Actually, post your log book you dirty hun. I want to see how many of those kills are outclassed N17s. :v:

[edit] If we're gonna reccomend books, I have to throw out one from my childhood. This book is why I'm eagerly awaiting the day I can get the Hanriot HD.1 and I will immediately start a Belgian career. Good luck finding a copy though. :smith:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 10, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It's never really completely one-sided when flying a Albatros, seeing as the engine seems to die really quickly. I was also wounded so that's why there is a time gap. I also have the Pilots Badge, Iron Cross in 2nd and 1st classes, the Wound Badge and the Cross of Military Merit in Gold.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

But anyway, to whoever mentioned earlier that they were going to make a goon group for RoF, did you wind up creating one? If so/not yet, would you mind posting a link for it? I've gotta get in on some of that goon RoF action ASAP!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RoFGoons It's not public right now, so hop into the chat and I'll start inviting people.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 10, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, point about the N17, they aren't that worse than the Albatros D.V. Also, if it helps, according to a quick check of PWCG, Jasta 11 will start being issued Dr.Is in September. OF course, you may not get assigned to one if PWCG models the very limited quantities that were available even to Jasta 11 before 1918.

Also, good for you for the chestful of swag, the only medal I've been awarded is a wound stripe. :argh: That said, keep it up, two more injuries and you'll earn the wound badge in Silver (not sure if PWCG models different grades of it). That said, the Kaiser gives out Iron Crosses like candy, you need to set your sights on the ultimate prize:

Its a good movie too, I recommend it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efc6Y6LCuuc

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Man, the Nieuport just does NOT like to climb. Or move in a straight line. Or do much of anything, now that I think of it. I can take on the Eindeckers in my new career (US volunteer in the RFC) but any time a plane with a gunner shows up I'm forced to just take potshots and flee eventually. I cant muster enough of an energy advantage against them to allow any decisive bursts. 5 kills so far, only one of which was against a 2 seater (a Roland flying over No-Man's Land. Got his tailgunner in a lucky pass so was able to leisurely line up and smack his pilot in the back of the skull at 50 meters)

Oh, and the fact this thing carries a single overwing Lewis gun isnt helping :(

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

An interesting bit of trivia, the Blue Max is only awarded to officers, so technically I already have the Enlisted man's Pour le Merit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Leo Showers posted:

An interesting bit of trivia, the Blue Max is only awarded to officers, so technically I already have the Enlisted man's Pour le Merit.

I knew that, the solution is simple. Get promoted, get the Blue Max. :getin:

Also, these are apparently all the medals in PWCG:

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

I wonder what the conditions for a victoria cross are, I really want one.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Interestingly enough, this is my pilot's current medal tally, I was not aware my pilot had been awarded the Hollenzen whateverthatis.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

By the way, Pat Wilson's website is back up and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'd also like to take this time and request that our motto be "Flamerinos! Sizzle, Sizzle, Wonk!". I feel that those words capture the game perfectly.

• Locked thread