Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What race should goons play for PvP shenanigans?
This poll is closed.
Furry Dominion 352 27.24%
Orc Covenant 464 35.91%
Lizard Pact 476 36.84%
Total: 1292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Gammon posted:

The beta was level locked, and plenty of stuff was intentionally disabled, like going back to Coldharbour. Plus, closed beta people have hit 50, and I really doubt they got there solely from PvP stuff post level 17 (which is where open beta content stopped).

That's exactly how they got there, provided I'm reading you right. They farmed the PvP-PvE quests for two days straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Orv posted:

That's exactly how they got there, provided I'm reading you right. They farmed the PvP-PvE quests for two days straight.
There are 2 betas. He is talking about the on going closed beta that is not weekends only.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wadjamaloo posted:

There are 2 betas. He is talking about the on going closed beta that is not weekends only.

Reading comprehension offline. :downs:

Sureal
Nov 12, 2010

Orv posted:

There were 50s in open beta who, I'm sure, did exactly this. My hunch is some of the closed beta guilds will be poopsocking the PvP-PvE quest hubs during early access/launch and have 50s/Veterans within days.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sureal posted:

There were 50s in open beta who, I'm sure, did exactly this. My hunch is some of the closed beta guilds will be poopsocking the PvP-PvE quest hubs during early access/launch and have 50s/Veterans within days.

IF ZO haven't fixed some "bugs" involving Cyrodiil quests, that's exactly what they will be doing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Extra posted:

IF ZO haven't fixed some "bugs" involving Cyrodiil quests, that's exactly what they will be doing.

Didn't they hotfix the abandon bug last weekend?

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

Pasco posted:

Well, there are at least 5 other major landmasses in the Lore, 2 of which are major continents in their own right (Atmora and Akavir)...

Although I'm not that bothered about the various lore impacting implications of ESO, it would basically be a crime to debut Akavir in an MMO that inherently has less lore depth than the main series. I'd still love to go there, just not in ESO.

Khaba fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 9, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

Didn't they hotfix the abandon bug last weekend?

It seemed that way, though it doesn't change some other factors. There is an alternative plan or two if indeed it is fixed. Unless the PTS/launch is very different I would expect people to hit 50 quite quickly. Though it wouldn't be the first time leveling speed was pulled out from under the rug of beta players expecting a much smaller grind.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
We have probably not scratched much of the surface for ways to get experiences fast in there. We found another way, and there are probably more.

I am going to go ahead and say that bringing 5 or 6 people to a solo dungeon in cyrodiil and not being in a group might be an alright way to level up.

Sureal
Nov 12, 2010
Is there any intention to start a private thread or forum for ESO for coordinating the guild and so forth?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sureal posted:

Is there any intention to start a private thread or forum for ESO for coordinating the guild and so forth?

Private forum heh.

I hope that never happens.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Stanley Pain posted:

Private forum heh.

I hope that never happens.

How else are we going to keep out the undesirables?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sureal posted:

Why? We're not ever going to have enough people to take this poo poo ultraserious, a single thread here will be fine.

Extra posted:

How else are we going to keep out the undesirables?

You're still here! :v: (I keed.)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Khaba posted:

Although I'm not that bothered about the various lore impacting implications of ESO, it would basically be a crime to debut Akavir in an MMO that inherently has less lore depth than the main series. I'd still love to go there, just not in ESO.

Interaction with Akavir was still kind of a thing by this timeframe in TES lore so probably will.

I mean they are pulling out all the more obscure stuff like Maormer and sload (I think?) so I wouldn't be surprised at what they do allow people to explore. Im just wondering what they're release schedule will be like for opening up more of Tamriel and if you already have a 1-50 character does this mean the new content will be endgame or just more to explore and do quests in.

edit: because if 3/4 of Tamriel just ends up "YOU MUST BE THIS MAXED OUT TO EVEN START GOING HERE" that's going to be lame.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Berke Negri posted:

edit: because if 3/4 of Tamriel just ends up "YOU MUST BE THIS MAXED OUT TO EVEN START GOING HERE" that's going to be lame.

I've got my fingers super crossed for Cyrodiil style level scaling in some form across the entire game world. It's going to be extremely lame if content becomes un-fun because you've either out leveled it or aren't high enough level to do it. It's reducing the amount of content to do in the game therefor reducing the time a player will stay subscribed. The reason many of us did our tromp through Cyrodiil with goons was because we could all participate, all have positive effect on the group, and all get rewards useful to us in some way. Further replayability is gained by experiencing all this scaled content as each class. Especially when players can pick up and play each class with their friends at any time and still be useful. For example in APB players leveled both a criminal and an enforcer character because of the unique aspects of each faction. From the second the character in APB is created that character is fairly viable against and can group with any other players.

More MMO companies need to realize that people are going to play for and pay for their game if they can easily pick up and play with their online and/or real friends. One of the reason I'm so excited about ESO is that like GW2 it may pave way for new attitudes toward progression in MMORPG development.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 9, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Right now my biggest concern with TES:O is that you're still for all intents and purposes being guided along a set path in a way no main-title Elder Scrolls game has done before (spin-offs like Redguard and Battlespire don't count). If you deviate from that path you will find monsters too tough for you to defeat and too numerous for you to evade. It's hard to say 'ooh, I want to go see Mournhold' because you haven't gotten to the level where a trip to Mournhold is easy.

This is, in my experience, alleviated by the fact that the cities in Morrowind, at least, aren't particularly or notably different from each other, which is a problem all on its own. In every game, each city has a feel and a character to it. In Skyrim Riften is the super-corrupt crime capital, Solitude is the Imperial capital with dark secrets, Windhelm is the proud city of "true Nords". I found nothing to differentiate between, say, Davon's Watch and Ebonheart.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is going to sound extremely dickish, and I apologize, but you're looking in the wrong place for that. That's what I wanted from ESO too. I wanted to see the rest of the continent without having to go province by province over the next 20 years, and see Morrowind with modern graphics. This isn't that. It's an MMO with vague Elder Scrolls trappings, which is unfortunate, but what can you do.

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

Orv posted:

...see Morrowind with modern graphics...

If they released morrowind redone in a modern engine I would preorder the collectors edition so fast. That was such a great game but it's so ugly now.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shakra posted:

If they released morrowind redone in a modern engine I would preorder the collectors edition so fast. That was such a great game but it's so ugly now.

Not sure if you have seen this thread but Morrowind can look pretty dang amazing with mods

I've been hard up to find a game with the same atmosphere and grungy art style Morrowind has. Silly as it sounds ESO's Morrowind regions look cartoony to me.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
This is why to me, Morrowind was the best game ever created. The art, music, atmosphere, and sheer size just sucked me in.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

And the random generated chance to fail an attack or spell.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Also the hilarious ways you could "hack" the game. Like how you could drink an infinite number of stat boosting pots from the pause screen, all with like a 1s duration, and then use that 1s to enchant items with stupidly strong effects. Tired of no fast-travel, I made myself some boots that let me jump thousands of feet high and then feather-fall back down, effectively letting me fly anywhere I wanted.

Sureal
Nov 12, 2010
List of tips that appears to be updated frequently.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1493169-tips-i-wish-id-known-when-i-started/

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

403 forbidden

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

Extra posted:

Not sure if you have seen this thread but Morrowind can look pretty dang amazing with mods

I've been hard up to find a game with the same atmosphere and grungy art style Morrowind has. Silly as it sounds ESO's Morrowind regions look cartoony to me.

Every time I've tried mods always crash or mess things up. I never get them to work right.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It worked for me, and some of those things contradict each other, like the leather medium armor bit.

But the part that says if you up stamina, your stamina abilities get more damage, same with magica, that part is cool.

Shakra
Jul 30, 2004

DrDork posted:

Also the hilarious ways you could "hack" the game. Like how you could drink an infinite number of stat boosting pots from the pause screen, all with like a 1s duration, and then use that 1s to enchant items with stupidly strong effects. Tired of no fast-travel, I made myself some boots that let me jump thousands of feet high and then feather-fall back down, effectively letting me fly anywhere I wanted.

Oh man I remember doing something like this. It took minutes to come down from a jump.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

It worked for me, and some of those things contradict each other, like the leather medium armor bit.

But the part that says if you up stamina, your stamina abilities get more damage, same with magica, that part is cool.

Okay it works for me too in Chrome, might be an Opera issue (or my aggressive filtering).

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Watching some closed beta streaming and I got to say, the high level content does look pretty nice. I'm reserving judgment still until I pay it myself, but it does give me high hopes.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Anyone know of a place still selling the Physical Imperial edition and has actual stock of it? Was going to go through Amazon but they seem to be out for now.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I would really like to find some side-by-side comparisons of Oblivion's Cyrodiil versus ESO's Cyrodiil. I'm willing to bet Oblivion, a game that came out 8 years ago, has a better game engine than ESO. ESO does natively support all the pre-requisite shaders and effects though, even if it all looks like rear end and the artists should be shamed out of the industry. My gut tells me they are using very short distance fog effects to hide how terrible their world design is.

Here are two from plain vanilla Oblivion with no mods whatsoever:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I haven't played Oblivion in years so I can't comment on that, but that fog gotta go.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

CountingWizard posted:

I'm willing to bet Oblivion, a game that came out 8 years ago, has a better game engine than ESO.

How so?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
The close proximity of the fog is there primarily to significantly lower the system requirements for older PC's and the Xbone + PS4.

Batham fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 10, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Settings/Visual/Distance Fog Yes/No - PC Master Race :smuggo:

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

CountingWizard posted:

ESO does natively support all the pre-requisite shaders and effects though, even if it all looks like rear end and the artists should be shamed out of the industry.

Honestly don't know what you're talking about here.

I took a ton of screenshots while running around Cyrodiil during the weekend beta because it looked so interesting and pretty.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
So I got my code from green man gaming after purchasing the imperial addition at the discounted price, I was just wondering if any of you did this at other places and actually have you're account labeled with the imperial addition, mine just says preorder like it s the normal edition. I also received an email from Bethesda that stated I was registered for the explorer's pack but said nothing about imperial addition.

Bishop01 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 10, 2014

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Bishop01 posted:

So I got my code from green man gaming after purchasing the imperial addition at the discounted price, I was just wondering if any of you did this at other places and actually have you're account labeled with the imperial addition, mine just says preorder like it s the normal edition. I also received an email from Bethesda that stated I was registered for the explorer's pack but said nothing about imperial addition.
According to what I've read elsewhere, you are supposed to receive the code for the Imperial stuff later on, near the official launch day.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
I see, Well that makes sense I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you preordered directly from the devs then I think your account gets marked immediately. If you ordered from a retailer then you wait till launch.

• Locked thread