Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
So is there any reason why this game runs at such a low resolution? It's really noticeable and makes the game look really, really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
This game got a lot easier once when I rerolled off of deprived. I am a coward. :negative:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Hivac posted:

So is there any reason why this game runs at such a low resolution? It's really noticeable and makes the game look really, really bad.

Because the PS360 are 8 years old!

It's the same as DeS and DaS, right? 1024x720 with 2xMSAA?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hipster Occultist posted:

Yeah that dude. He hits like a truck but once I sorta figured parries out he died to two of'em and a couple swings. He drops a decent sword iirc.

He also has no poise you can just spam then roll away. And you get what looks like the rear end 2.0

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

DeS and DaS never looked like they were stretched out to this extent. It's to the point where everything looks kind of blurry.

Edit: Never mind, I'm retarded and forgot to check 480/720p :downs:

Reco fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 11, 2014

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Genocyber posted:

He also has no poise you can just spam then roll away. And you get what looks like the rear end 2.0

I know exactly what you mean but this acronym owns.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Failboattootoot posted:

This game got a lot easier once when I rerolled off of deprived. I am a coward. :negative:

While I wait the 25 Sony(c) brand Minutes plus an unknown install time, mind telling me what's so bad about it? Like are you forced to fist every enemy for five minutes for the first hour of the game or something? All I really care about is whether or not a weapon I can 2h will be available before I start having to fight stuff. I'm fine with no armor but if Deprived == tedium then screw that.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Mailer posted:

While I wait the 25 Sony(c) brand Minutes plus an unknown install time, mind telling me what's so bad about it? Like are you forced to fist every enemy for five minutes for the first hour of the game or something? All I really care about is whether or not a weapon I can 2h will be available before I start having to fight stuff. I'm fine with no armor but if Deprived == tedium then screw that.

You can get a (pretty bad) sword without fighting a single enemy by taking the path of least resistance and exploring the hub.

E: this is because you can just completely skip the tutorial area, by the way.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
First boss down.

Like the first game, Sorceror seems really strong at the beginning, was easily able to beat up the White Knight and first boss with basically no effort at all. Go Soul Arrow.

That being said, I did die a lot of the random chump knight zombies awakening after you run past them. You'd think I'd learn the first 10 times I die to that, but nope.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mailer posted:

It's 2 things. The first is that the early gearing options are fairly worse than your potential starter weapon from other classes. At least this is the case for warrior, knight, and swordsman. You also probably won't have the souls required to level your poo poo up to actually use the drat things you do find either. The other big thing is that every stat boosts hp now, so starting at SL 1 versus sl 10-13 for the others is a significant hp disadvantage. So if you die a bunch and drop down to that half health area you pretty much die in 1 combo from a standard hollow. There is no full physical block shield in the first areas as of yet either and the lack of armor hurts.

Deprived will have to wait until I become a god of parrying because that's the only efficient way to do it in the beginning.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
After stylin' all over Dark Souls thanks to watching half of Geop's LP of it, I now understand the appeal, the allure, the confusion of playing a Souls game right away with no help. I killed one boss (with help from a white phantom) and I'm otherwise unsure where to go or where to find good gear. I'm just scrounging souls and hopin' for the best

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Anyone else get a more DeS vibe with how many enemies they like to throw at you at once? Not to the extent of the bridge in 1-1, but I do find myself getting that vibe from the Forest. Also, the badass sword throwing dwarf chillin' on giant a sword from an early gameplay trailer is gone and in his place is some boring normal enemies. That really sucks.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
I decided I didn't want to wait another two days until the Japanese release and tried to download it off the PSN store but keep getting "an error has occurred" messages thrown at me while trying to check out.

God drat it, take my money!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I started off as deprived because I'm dumb, and it took me a couple hours to upgrade from a lovely dagger to a lovely broken short sword to a real short sword and suddenly I can kill stuff in two heavy attacks. It took me way too long to realize that you keep the starter robes, I must have ran around naked for a good hour before I finally got a piece of armor and noticed I had them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
So Deprived is similar to SL1 runs - challenge mode tedium. Pass.

Million Ghosts posted:

<thing> from an early gameplay trailer is gone and in his place is some boring normal enemies. That really sucks.

I noticed the enemy changes in the network test area. Kinda sad about those. Hopefully that's a NG+ thing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It's 720p with FXAA. It's gonna look a little blurry.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The shortsword that the sword class starts off with has some really nice 2H attacks if anyone's looking for something relatively quick that isn't a dagger. The R2 is a straight thrust with nice range, and you can spam skill combo it for repeated stabs on anything that doesn't have the poise to recover and hit you back.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

Anyone else get a more DeS vibe with how many enemies they like to throw at you at once? Not to the extent of the bridge in 1-1, but I do find myself getting that vibe from the Forest. Also, the badass sword throwing dwarf chillin' on giant a sword from an early gameplay trailer is gone and in his place is some boring normal enemies. That really sucks.

Seeing how I just got mobbed by six hollow soldiers, yes

they're also a lot more aggressive, which is good

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I bought two caestuses(caesti?) from the merchant and my life has changed forever

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Hipster Occultist posted:

Yeah that dude. He hits like a truck but once I sorta figured parries out he died to two of'em and a couple swings. He drops a decent sword iirc.

I used that sword for a little bit until I found a Fire Longsword. Then I pushed that thing to +3 and I'm pretty much just wasting fools now.

So far The Last Giant and the Dragon Rider are total loving pushovers. I don't think either of them hit me once.

And holy loving poo poo adaptability is so, so necessary.

So far the level designs have been as interesting/fun as DkS1. I've only been to two areas outside tutorial zone and Majula, but they look gorgeous and have some tricky stuff.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 12, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Genocyber posted:

Seeing how I just got mobbed by six hollow soldiers, yes

they're also a lot more aggressive, which is good

I've come up behind a fair share of deaf/blind mob groups already, but for the most part the AI is very good.

I wonder if the sex change coffin has any other uses?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
This message system is ridiculous, holy poo poo.

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
It's everything I wanted oh god I'm going to lose so many nights sleep

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Failboattootoot posted:

I've got another few hours before local stores open and I can pick up my copy and kick off playing; how have others felt about rolling Deprived for their first character? Equally as challenging as implied above?
God I can't wait to dive into this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Any goon streams?

I'd get one up if anyone can tell me wtc I'm doing wrong with my Elgado

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590713&pagenumber=24&perpage=40#post426811398

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Random observations:

I'm feeling a real lack of a sense of place in a lot of these level designs early on. The areas outside of majula seem less intricate and more broad and sweeping. Things have much larger proportions from the get go.

Elevators reset when you hit a bonfire or die.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 11, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Merauder posted:

I've got another few hours before local stores open and I can pick up my copy and kick off playing; how have others felt about rolling Deprived for their first character? Equally as challenging as implied above?
God I can't wait to dive into this.

It's pretty satisfying once you get rolling, but it's not forgiving at all. You've got to spend quite a while dodging every attack and doing piddly amounts of damage.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's 720p with FXAA. It's gonna look a little blurry.

Hmm, I guess they had to to keep up with all the other changes.

Not that it really helped :mad:

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
The White Knight in the first part of the forest killed me at the same time I killed him. He dropped something but when I got back there was no item. I have an ok sword right now but the completionist in me is telling me to restart.

Also this game is awesome. Seems even tougher than Dark Souls 1. You're definitely a lot more likely to get mobbed by enemies in this. Feel like a scrub going with my normal sword and board combo but I've always been bad at parrying and dodging.

Deprived start is pretty tough. You can get a dagger early on but it takes 4-5 hits to kill an enemy. I died a bunch and literally couldn't do part of the tutorial (the 3rd mist door I think) because of my lack of health, shield and damage. Once you find a piece or two of equipment things get easier though, and it's pretty fun going from struggling super hard against normal enemies to wasting a big group of them with no problem.

Blisster fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 11, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So how exactly do you access the Black Armor stuff? I looked around on the page and saw nothing, and I don't have anything in-game.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So it's out here on the 14th and have been considering buying it, from what people seen so far is it worth a day one purchase if I am only playing it offline?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Good God did they seriously just make me scroll through the whole EULA?

:darksouls:

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Over 100,000 deaths already. Good work everyone!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Blisster posted:

Pft, look at all these casual baby scrubs dying :smug:

I swear I totally could've made that jump :(

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Blisster posted:

I did my part for our country :suicide: I first saw the counter at 40,000 something, and the next time I looked it had jumped up to 80,000.

Anyone have any predictions on how long a million will take?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I've been killing myself repeated in Heide's Tower of Flame. Is there another location I can go to? I have yet to find one.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I was like "What are these goons talking about, sex change coffin?? Hey wait a sec, where'd my sweet mustache go- oooohhhh...."

edit: oh sweet christ it's 6am!

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
well poo poo. I preordered the PC version and I really don't have time to play it this weekend but welp I think I'll cave in and get it for the PS3

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
So am I supposed to go to the Lost Bastille after the Forest of Fallen Giants? Because I don't seem to stand much chance against the enemies here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Million Ghosts posted:

I did my part for our country :suicide: I first saw the counter at 40,000 something, and the next time I looked it had jumped up to 80,000.

Anyone have any predictions on how long a million will take?

It's no doubt moving at a snails pace with the small amount of people playing it over night; I'd set an over/under for 1mil deaths at 4pm PST day one, giving most time zones time to die after business hours and the like.
I'd still probably take the under on that bet. :v:

• Locked thread