Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

raditts posted:

Wait, "millenials" are supposed to cover people born in 1980? That's pretty far removed from the millenium.

There isn't a consensus Gen X/Millennial stop/start year but 'early 80s' is generally regarded as the start of the millennials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I missed the daily sow (RAW was THAT awesome tonight) Any segment's worth going back for later?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
One of the better definitions of the Millennials, in my opinion, are the generation who developed technological prowess throughout their youth as the technology we have today developed. The AOL and dial-up generation, as it may be.

The current generation is immersed in technology. It's a new paradigm.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pardon me if I'm not sold on my generation doing anything other than loving everything up more than they already are, because the most influential ones are already well-connected. Look around entertainment- the Millenial generation is rife with nepotism there. Just look at Robin Thicke (son of Alan and someone whose babysitter was Wayne Gretzky), Miley Cyrus (son of Billy Ray), and the entire main cast of Girls. I won't be surprised if in 30 years, Congress ends up being made up of mostly of around 20 families with power and influence.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Neil deGrasse Tyson on Colbert! I don't usually stay up for the interview, but I'll make an exception for him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Y-Hat posted:

Pardon me if I'm not sold on my generation doing anything other than loving everything up more than they already are, because the most influential ones are already well-connected. Look around entertainment- the Millenial generation is rife with nepotism there. Just look at Robin Thicke (son of Alan and someone whose babysitter was Wayne Gretzky), Miley Cyrus (son of Billy Ray), and the entire main cast of Girls. I won't be surprised if in 30 years, Congress ends up being made up of mostly of around 20 families with power and influence.

Yea three entertainers prove we're hosed, good work ace.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

I won't be surprised if in 30 years, Congress ends up being made up of mostly of around 20 families with power and influence.

The more things change the more the stay the same....

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

That's not a Christian cross, it's a Latin cross :smuggo:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Haha their logo is an atom with an A in it?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gently caress internet atheists AND evangelical Christians.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

gently caress internet atheists AND evangelical Christians.
A disproportionate number of internet atheists come from evangelical families.

The one thing they take away from their families, almost without fail, is to stubbornly refuse to listen to any opinion but their own.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Neil :swoon:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I missed it, who was Neil talking about?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

I missed it, who was Neil talking about?

Sagan

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You also have the church gleefully watch in him burn you rear end.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

How exactly did NdGT get super popular? I remember him as being some guy from a planetarium who was on the Daily Show, and I was like, huh, he's pretty cool. And then he kept coming back and being awesome - is that just it, and he went with it, or am I missing something?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

(Colbert returns from commercials, Tyson is actually tied up to a post with kindling at his feet)

Neil DeGrasse Tyson: This certainly escalated quickly!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

JT Jag posted:

A disproportionate number of internet atheists come from evangelical families.

The one thing they take away from their families, almost without fail, is to stubbornly refuse to listen to any opinion but their own.
Ah, a "one hand washes the other" sorta thing. Except in this case they're washing their hands with boiling acid.

I can't get too excited about Neil like I used to because internet nerds have canonized him as being bacon-level epic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OneTwentySix posted:

How exactly did NdGT get super popular? I remember him as being some guy from a planetarium who was on the Daily Show, and I was like, huh, he's pretty cool. And then he kept coming back and being awesome - is that just it, and he went with it, or am I missing something?

He's very good at branding and a highly intellectual man with buckets of charisma.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

I can't get too excited about Neil like I used to because internet nerds have canonized him as being bacon-level epic.
He's a very smart man who is also pretty funny, so I'm happy whenever I see him around regardless of what other dorks think of him.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

OneTwentySix posted:

Well, he's from the planetarium at the Museum of Natural History, which I think is at least more significant than just being from some random planetarium. He also hosted a Nova spinoff called Nova Science Now for a number of years.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Colbert, comic book and Tolkein nerd: gets very excited when Multiverses are mentioned.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You also have the church gleefully watch in him burn you rear end.

Do you have to poo poo up 2 god drat threads?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Winkie01 posted:

Do you have to poo poo up 2 god drat threads?

"The Romans did it not the church" was such a handwave if he wasn't on a comedy show he'd have been called on it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This is the same sort of thing that would make me angry and disgusted enough to take a break from TDS/TCR but the "WE NEED ALL THE RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS WE CAN GET" bit was so over-the-top I honestly could not stop laughing. It's seriously something Colbert would do as a joke.

edit: I really thought that Tyson interview lead-in was going to end with "and then I decided not to go to Cornell."

Hazo fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 11, 2014

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012
I am loving tired of hearing the media paint the entire Millennial generation with a single goddamn brush—and it's made worse by people within that demographic actually agreeing with that bullshit, but in a way like, "Yeah, my loving generation, right?" As though to say, "I'm one of the good ones!"

Ironically, that response actually adds credence to the self-important stereotype of the generation. It's all so aggravating!

Cranbe fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 11, 2014

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
^^^^^This guy gets it.

Is there anything more ludicrous and constant than older people spouting off about the younger generation? gently caress man, just ask people that age rather than having some older guy research millenials like they're a new species. I can't wait to bitch about the younger generation when I get old.

I hope people will stop paying attention to this clickbait type of discussion. It always reminds me of a terrible standup set "Millenials live like this and Generation X lives like this, wakka wakka"

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 11, 2014

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, from the moment that guy sat down on TDS, he was openly broadcasting a sunny, self-assured cluelessness that made it seem like he'd not actually talked to anyone in their 20s over the course of writing a book.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The thing with the Church and the treatment of scientists is that its ultimately rather convoluted, even after the points it wasn't hilariously corrupt (and that's even speaking as a Catholic). Some parts gave to the progression of science, others have tried to hold it back. Unfortunately, not everyone can be Georges Lemaître, and many of those who espouse themselves as Catholic (like old Papa Bear) don't seem to realise what the modern day Church's views on a lot of issues actually are. Not that one can't disagree with the Vatican, but if people are going to claim its part of their religion, they might want to be sure what that religion actually says.

But yes, Neil is awesome, and I hope his work helps to inspire others to better map out the universe and such as we step into the future. I wonder if he's ever met Brian Cox, because it feels like such an obvious meeting but I'm not sure that its ever come to pass.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

twistedmentat posted:

So what am I? I was born in 1977, so too old to be a millenial, and too young to be gen X. Star wars baby?

You can remember the Reagan presidency, so you're Gen X.

Y-Hat posted:

Pardon me if I'm not sold on my generation doing anything other than loving everything up more than they already are, because the most influential ones are already well-connected.

Things are definitely going to get interesting in the next 10-15 years or so, especially when non-Hispanic whites become a minority in most of the South some time around the middle of the next decade.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 11, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Someone who is not a millennial explaining millennials to Jon Stewart.

He could have done more to express how we actually aren't that happy with living with parents and our inability to find entry-level full time work. Alright, I'll stop venting here; that D&D thread is still around, right?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They get a lot of mileage out of the shirtless equestrian Putin picture.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Is it me or does Putin have only one facial expression?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jon is real bad at analysis if he just keeps saying the same joke that end s in "he's crazy!!!!"

He literally was using the same segment as if everyone is talking about body languages.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Long interview with this nut oh joy.

How does he walk around with that dye job?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
What the gently caress? :stare:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh my God 20 minutes of this?!

Sair
May 11, 2007

What an rear end in a top hat.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Didn't he just have this loving rear end in a top hat on like a few weeks ago? Why does Jon think we want to watch him lob softballs at him again?

My wife on that clip they just showed: "There were more facts in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter than we just saw there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Oh poo poo...this is not going to be fun...

• Locked thread