Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 27s

“@NBCdianna: Per Redskins sources Washington has agreed to terms with Tracy Porter #Redskins” >> CB wasn’t in #Raiders plans, vice versa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Boy I bet he's sorry he left the Raiders now!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

I'd be surprised if the offer sheet doesn't become binding once it's signed

Now if they gave him an offer sheet he was going to agree to but never got around to signing and then heard the Bengals would match, then they could probably change it around to make it harder

Yeah I think that is what happened. I don't really know how RFA stuff works but I'm getting the sense the Bengals should have kept their mouth shut (and not have given him the lowest tender jesus christ)

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
A lot of possible unrest in Cincy. Devon Still posted a congratulatory picture of Collins and his deal on Instagram and Rey Maualuga commented:

"He would of never got that kind of money here... Happy for him! That's why we lose a lot of guys. Cuz they won't pay the guys what they deserve!!!"

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Goetta posted:

So did the Browns change their offer once they heard the Bengals were going to match it? All this happened before they even sent in an offer sheet so I wonder what exactly is going on.

Can a team (hypothetically) send in another offer sheet if the original one is matched?
I assume the Bengals either had a change of heart or they only loosely agreed to match based on the parameters they heard rather than the exact structure.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So what do the Raiders do now? Give Jared Allen and Julius Peppers monster contracts? Is that what Oakland has to look forward to??

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Atticus Finch posted:

A lot of possible unrest in Cincy. Devon Still posted a congratulatory picture of Collins and his deal on Instagram and Rey Maualuga commented:

"He would of never got that kind of money here... Happy for him! That's why we lose a lot of guys. Cuz they won't pay the guys what they deserve!!!"

Remember when Jonathan Joseph left the Bengals and part of his culture shock with the Texans was stuff like "Holy crap you don't have to pay for your own Gatorade or parking"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Eh? You mean outside the top 10? Because uh.. just in the last couple of years, Michael Floyd, DeAndre Hopkins, Dez Bryant, Torrey Smith, Randall Cobb, Demaryius Thomas. That's just 1st/2nd rd receivers too.

Let me tell you I like awake shuddering at those 283 receiving yards Demaryius Thomas had as a rookie.

He's talking about in the first year, you can see a list since 1980 here.

e: They are getting better though, imagine looking at that list in 2000 or so.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 13, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Take that Jared and meat head brother! We have __________ now!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Keenan Allen was pretty terrible as a rookie

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Eh? You mean outside the top 10? Because uh.. just in the last couple of years, Michael Floyd, DeAndre Hopkins, Dez Bryant, Torrey Smith, Randall Cobb, Demaryius Thomas. That's just 1st/2nd rd receivers too.

Now let's just look and see who those receivers were playing across from...

Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Anquan Boldin, had Tony Romo or Aaron Rodgers throwing to them...

Intruder posted:

Keenan Allen was pretty terrible as a rookie

Philip Rivers vs. Cam Newton.

GO!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

anime gently caress pillow posted:

So what do the Raiders do now? Give Jared Allen and Julius Peppers monster contracts? Is that what Oakland has to look forward to??

So the Raiders can fail them in their physical? I doubt it.

-Longtime depressed Raider fan.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

sportsgenius86 posted:

hahahaha it's going to be Lamarr "One Leg" Woodley

He had almost the same amount of sacks on one leg as our premier FA defensive end.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Blitz7x posted:

Raider fans are cool and collecte

After delving into Raiders fan sites to follow FA news, I fully understand why everyone hates Raider fans. We're almost as insufferable as Seattle fans.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chichevache posted:

GO!

That would be a legitimately tough choice to me

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Atticus Finch posted:

I can understand being pissed at losing a lot of your teammates to FA but loving Rey Maualuga of all people shouldn't be bitching.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chichevache posted:

GO!
Cam Newton is good, the gently caress are you going with this.

Plus one of the Eagles receivers is on that list so clearly I'm validated :smug:

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
So my understanding of how the cap works isn't that great. With the recent revelations about Revis's contract does that mean the Pats have room to sign Browner AND a WR (like Edelman or a Steve Smith or a Nicks) in addition to having enough left over for rookies? Or is it more of a one or the other situation?

Psmith fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 13, 2014

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

These guys definitely didn't produce what you'd need to use as your primary plan:

Michael Floyd - 45 / 560 / 2
Dez Bryant - 45 / 560 / 6
Randall Cobb - 25 / 375 / 1
Demaryius Thomas - 22 / 283 / 2

Hopkins and Smith did better, but still. There haven't been many rookie WR's to even hit like 60 receptions or 800 yards receiving, which if you're going to be making that the focus of your offense this year, is a scary proposition.

I mean yeah, the Panthers should probably draft whichever WR is available to them, but they should really have like, I dunno, two more WR's that can ostensibly catch a pass so Cam doesn't spend the next year getting called a mega cancer again.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Luminous Cow posted:

After delving into Raiders fan sites to follow FA news, I fully understand why everyone hates Raider fans. We're almost as insufferable as Seattle fans.

We have a good collection here, there are like three good ones on the Raiders SubReddit and 1 OK one on 4chan

yeah i've cataloged every Raiders fan on the internet, what of it?

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Luminous Cow posted:

The past few days have certainly been a rollercoaster on Raider sites.

3/8/14: "I hope we resign Jared Veldheer and Lamarr Houston! Cornerstones to build our franchise around!"

03/11/14: "gently caress Jared Veldheer and Lamarr Houston! Those money hungry assholes were overrated anyway and weren't TRUE RAIDERS!"

03/12/14: "Saffold might be better than Veldheer. Veldheer was better suited at RT anyway. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt IN REGGIE WE TRUST!"

03/13/14: "gently caress REGGIE MCKENZIE gently caress VELDHEER AND HIS MEATHEAD BRO IM BURNING MY JERSEY"

:cripes:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
With Tracy Porter signing with the Redskins and Nolan Carrol signing with the Eagles, the second tier CB market seems to be moving quickly now. Hopefully, the Vikings won't let Captain Munnerlyn leave Winter Park without making a deal. It also seems like the 2nd tier corners are signing reasonable deals. Carrol was a 2-year $5.2 million deal and presumably Porter would be in the same range, so hopefully Munnerlyn can be had for a similar deal.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Bengals officially not going to match the Hawkins offer. Bye bye, baby Hawk. You are the best.

Intruder posted:

Remember when Jonathan Joseph left the Bengals and part of his culture shock with the Texans was stuff like "Holy crap you don't have to pay for your own Gatorade or parking"
They've turned a lot of that around since then but, yeah... yeah...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Psmith posted:

So my understanding of how the cap works isn't that great. With the recent revelations about Revis's contract does that mean the Pats have room to sign Browner AND a WR (like a Steve Smith or a Nicks) in addition to having enough left over for rookies? Or is it more of a one or the other situation?

I have no idea what Browner is worth and what his suspension / salary forfeiture does to his cap hit, but considering the WR market is a fair chunk lower then expected with Decker coming in as cheaply as he did, I'd say yeah, they could swing both probably without restructuring Wilfork (which will probably happen regardless).

Addendum question:

Browner is suspended for 4 games and faces an additional 4 game salary forfeiture because the NFL are dicks.

Does this affect any bonus money? IE, could he just take a base vet salary and the rest as a signing bonus for a 1 year deal, and only end up losing half the base salary while keeping the entirety of the bonus?

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 13, 2014

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

FizFashizzle posted:

He's going to be in Denver so loving fast and will have the year of his career.
Smith and Talib on the same team :laffo:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aniki posted:

With Tracy Porter signing with the Redskins and Nolan Carrol signing with the Eagles, the second tier CB market seems to be moving quickly now. Hopefully, the Vikings won't let Captain Munnerlyn leave Winter Park without making a deal. It also seems like the 2nd tier corners are signing reasonable deals. Carrol was a 2-year $5.2 million deal and presumably Porter would be in the same range, so hopefully Munnerlyn can be bad for a similar deal.

They were speculating on the radio that it might take 10m guaranteed to sign him which I'd be ok with if he can be good for that instead of bad for less :v:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
IIRC Gatorade thing was Marvin being pissed that players were taking like cases of it home with them every day or something. Which is somewhat different than the ordinary Mike Brown cheapness, like charging for towels and training camp TVs and poo poo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kalli posted:

I mean yeah, the Panthers should probably draft whichever WR is available to them, but they should really have like, I dunno, two more WR's that can ostensibly catch a pass so Cam doesn't spend the next year getting called a mega cancer again.
Their choices are kinda limited at this point though. Nicks is not a reliable target. Miles Austin and Santonio Holmes are out of gas. Darrius Heyward-Bey is.... do I even need to explain his problems. The Jets are already pushing for Jones. That leaves you with....

- Julian Edelman
- Jason Avant
- bringing Ted Ginn back
- Lance Moore
- Sidney Rice

They should have just not cut Steve Smith.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
The Bengals are going to lose so many games next year.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
James Harrison officially released

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Atticus Finch posted:

The Bengals are going to lose so many games next year.

Oh yes what will you do with your excellent defense and your offense loaded with young talent in your division filled with bad to mediocre teams

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

So there's rumors that Woodley, Tuck and Hatcher had breakfast together in Oakland this morning.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Also I'm going to ask this again: why aren't there more teams talking about Dominique Rodgers Cromartie? I feel like he should have been signed within the first two days of free agency.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

IcePhoenix posted:

They were speculating on the radio that it might take 10m guaranteed to sign him which I'd be ok with if he can be good for that instead of bad for less :v:

I just noticed that typo. Anything $4 million per year or under I'd be happy with. Munnerlyn would be a big upgrade as a slot corner and he can play RCB in base formations. I'd still want to add another corner in the draft, but Munnerlyn would be valuable considering how often the Vikings line up in nickel or dime sets.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Goetta posted:

James Harrison officially released

Ok now we know what the Raiders move was

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Toymachine posted:

So there's rumors that Woodley, Tuck and Hatcher had breakfast together in Oakland this morning.
Hahahaha called it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Also I'm going to ask this again: why aren't there more teams talking about Dominique Rodgers Cromartie? I feel like he should have been signed within the first two days of free agency.

He probably thinks he's gonna get Revis-paid. And he's probably going to continue in that vein for another week or two. What's the rush? When he's the only CB available and there are plenty of teams that need him, he'll get some money.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Intruder posted:

This crap will not die. What happened was Marvin Lewis stopped players from doing bullshit like loading their cars up with cases or it.

I am not sure about the parking part.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Donald Penn released by the Bucs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

Wasn't he talking about retiring? Maybe he just hasn't made up his mind about that yet so he's not signing anywhere until then

• Locked thread