Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One thing you really want as Jinx is a suppor twith some form of CC. If they hit their hook/binding/stun you can throw down your Chompers to chain the CC and get in some good harass (or even a kill).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Freaksaus posted:

One thing you really want as Jinx is a suppor twith some form of CC. If they hit their hook/binding/stun you can throw down your Chompers to chain the CC and get in some good harass (or even a kill).

CC on any ADC is huge! I absolutely love dropping with a Taric because he has the slows and stuns and heals and buffs but yeah, when a support can lock down the enemy it is usually game over for them. One thing I cannot stand as an ADC is passive supports. People that just sit there walking back and forth and not doing anything is a pretty surefire way to lose your lane especially when the other team is aggressive.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I've been trying out Singed and he's pretty fun even though he's really passive. Is there any tips I should keep in mind when playing as him?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tired Moritz posted:

I've been trying out Singed and he's pretty fun even though he's really passive. Is there any tips I should keep in mind when playing as him?

If you aren't farming between the two towers of your enemy you are doing it wrong

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tired Moritz posted:

His passive gives him additional HP based on your total mana. This makes Rod of Ages and Tear>Seraph's Embrace great items on him, but getting both of them is overkill.
A Rylai's Crystal Scepter followed by Liandri's Torment makes his poison trail very nasty. However, it's useless if you melt in teamfights. Unless you are ahead you should invest your gold in resists. Singed isn't about burst damage, he wants to stay alive as long as possible while poisoning/flinging/slowing enemies.
The glue costs a lot of mana to use early on. It's usually best to put more points in your Q until level 6 and thus wait with your W for a bit.
Ghost is usually better on him than Flash. Also consider Teleport instead of Ignite.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Jayce levels Q->E->W->R right? Or is it W then E? Cause I've been playing Q then E but I've seen a higher level player do it W then E and be just fine. :shrug:
I've been going Q-W->E because of the tower sieging aspect of his W. Not to mentioning leveling E doesn't really give you much.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

my pog boyfriend posted:

When ganking, 90% of the time you initiate the gank with your W, not your Q. By doing that, you are better prepared for a counter attack(shielded) and if they flash you still have a way to go in hard on them. If you are really thinking of pulling an Insec then this tactic is less advised, but it's useful.

On Lee Sin, if you're running for your life try to use your Q to jump to nearby jungle camps. It can be the extra bit of distance you need to survive. Alternatively, you can pull a Dunkey and Q into a nearby camp, then walk into a bush and make it seem like you jumped to the camp and then walk away. Lee Sin has a ton of potential to juke.

When jungling, press :siren:ONE:siren: button, attack twice, press button again, attack twice, press different button, attack twice, repeat. This maximizes your passive so that you are always enough energy for an entire combo. Later on you can ignore this advise if you are flash farming but early game it's very important.

The thing about Lee Sin is you can fight basically anyone early game so you want to use that to your advantage. Take your mobility to their jungle. Try to eke out a small lead for yourself and springboard that into very successful(read: guy you are ganking with is not forced to back) ganks so that you can use your high base damage and passive to shred towers.

Aside from that, along with other mechanically intensive champions just try to remember your options instead of trying to make the flashiest play ever. As you get better, you will have more mechanical skill and have more options available to you.

Starting a gank with Q is fine if you hit it. Just saying! Playing this champion safe is a fasttrack to a sub 50% win rate. You need to take big risks so you can teach yourself the limits of this champ, because Lee Sin is one of those champs where his limits can potentially spike for fractions of a second and you have to have the game savvy and the technical skill to use his kit to it's full potential.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Shadow225 posted:

Free Heimer? This is the week the LoL dies. It will erupt in a glorious blaze of nerd rage.

I'm expecting a metric ton of Vel'Koz mids this week and I expect he's gong to be able to clear out the turrets in a snap.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flipswitch posted:

I've been going Q-W->E because of the tower sieging aspect of his W. Not to mentioning leveling E doesn't really give you much.

That's what I really like about it, having W leveled has let me ram top all the way to the inhibitor cause I just eat towers alive. Really playing Jayce is like having a second ADC except he isn't completely made of paper. I really think Trinity Force was unnecessary after all, having gone without last game. Right now my build is something like BT -> Brutalizer -> Last Whisper -> Black Cleaver. I think after that I might just build Randiuns/Spirit Visage since I can eat towers alive, but with those I won't be made of paper either.

Also it feels good to play a game where I get camped early and give up two kills, pretty much write the game off, but my jungler comes up and gets me a double kill so I can get back in the game, to the point where by the end their Lee Sin (who had dominated me early) couldn't duel me at all. Learning, slowly but surely, not to give up and play from behind is really helpful. :unsmith:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm expecting a metric ton of Vel'Koz mids this week and I expect he's gong to be able to clear out the turrets in a snap.

Or select Syndra and throw those turrets back at him...

Seriously Riot, it's nice of you to feature more AP mages in the free rotation but that's just plain mean.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Finally tried Vel'Koz. Early game he's awesome. Mid-Late game when people have items and stuff..not so much. His lack of escape is crippling in my opinion.

Logicone
Nov 3, 2012

Fur proud service to ze Axis, I hereby avard myself und mein subordinates ze Better zan Herp Ribbon!

You get ze ribbon! Und YOU get ze ribbon! EVERYONE gets ze ribbon!

Except Herp. Arschloch.
I've been doing a lot of Ziggs lately, and while I love the little bastard, I feel like I'm not quite doing something right. I tend to win in lane really hard, but I'm having problems figuring out what to do after that. I'm used to playing roaming mids, and I've been trying to roam with Ziggs once I force my opponent out of lane, but I'm not finding that to be very effective. Should I stick with shoving my lane forever, or is there a certain way to roam with Ziggs and still be highly effective? Additionally, should I be saving my ult for when people are low during/after a teamfight, or should I be leading off with it? Do I throw my Ws into teamfights to pile on my damage and disrupt formations, or do I save it for disengages/repositioning running enemies?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Ziggs has excellent shoving ability and a ultimate that can extend his influence a great deal. Roaming is up to you, however I suggest you look into working with your junglers in the future to take advantage of Ziggs and his wave clear. Shove mid into the sun and go terrorize their jungle. Control buffs using your long reach and level advantage. (You need to win mid ideally though). Controlling the enemy jungle aggressively is low elo kryptonite because players simply don't want to admit that their side of the map is unsafe that early.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flipswitch posted:

I wouldn't worry. I've been playing ADC a bunch recently with mates and picked up a few of them very quickly but I tend to struggle with Jinx a bit and I can't seem to figure out why myself. I think I just sort of stumble along how smooth her Q weapon change is and it fucks me over.

If you have at least two champs you're comfortable with for each role though, I'd prioritize T3 runes mate to be honest, the difference they make is massive.

Jinx's weapon change doesn't really bother me except when I forget to switch or accidentally switch when I shouldn't. Besides that and that I tend to send her ultimate flying off into the abyss for no reason (besides that it amuses me; I have gotten kills with it though) I actually got the hang of her in general pretty fast.

Topic of champions, though, at the moment Caitlyn's the only ADC I have (besides some I got from non-IP sources who I suppose I should mess with sometime), so Jinx as a second champion there wouldn't be a bad pickup. Despite Vel'Kox and Lulu being people I also want to try this week, though, I probably won't be picking up either of them soon since I already have Veigar, Annie, and Lux (the latter two also working as supports sort of). Meanwhile Garen's the only toplaner I can use and I don't know jack about jungling, but, whatever. I'll work on those sometime later.

Freaksaus posted:

Shath Hole posted:

CC on any ADC is huge! I absolutely love dropping with a Taric because he has the slows and stuns and heals and buffs but yeah, when a support can lock down the enemy it is usually game over for them. One thing I cannot stand as an ADC is passive supports. People that just sit there walking back and forth and not doing anything is a pretty surefire way to lose your lane especially when the other team is aggressive.

Oh yeah, I learned this when playing Caitlyn. Thresh in particular has become one of my favorite supports; best one I had assisting me kept hooking enemies and dragging them to us, letting me shoot the crap out of them. We got a few kills in the early game and did well throughout.

SpaceDrake posted:

This is, if nothing else, a very characterful way to play Jinx and a good indication you are playing her right :v:

While I have occasionally killed people with it, I think my best moment is when I fired it off but hit nothing; a second later the enemy's (seemingly stealthed, possibly across the map given how long it took before he showed up afterward) Teemo says in allchat "wth jinx, that almost got me".

I was actually aiming at Master Yi, who was maybe one screen away from me.

But on that topic, while Jinx's lore is kind of dumb (~WACKY~ criminal who goes around blowing things up for no reason), they did a really good job in getting her personality to come across in her abilities, especially that ultimate. That's pretty neat, I think.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 11, 2014

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Man, though, it's hard not to fire her ultimate off across the map at the slightest provocation while cackling madly. Which usually results in spectacular misses, which only make me laugh harder. At least it's on a short-ish cooldown.

This is, if nothing else, a very characterful way to play Jinx and a good indication you are playing her right :v:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So I tested my CD Boots (Furor)/BT/LW/BC/Randiuns/Spirit Visage Jayce build and it was awesome. It wasn't really a "normal" game, necessarily, but the build itself seems perfectly viable on him and I was eating towers faster than our Jinx. :stare:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I am rededicating myself to mastering Kayle. I love the fricken future-angel, and she's practically the swiss army knife of roles. I can be a top lane bully, a midlane sustained damage carry, a jungler (admittedly haven't seriously tried this yet) or support in a pinch. I was having great fun in teambuilder tonight with her as support. I play her as a lane bully, only I don't have to worry about farming.

Respect the Q + E. Disrespect everything else. :black101:

GoldenSeraph
Mar 8, 2006
reincarnation time!
Oh man, provisionals are giving me a headache.

I am 3 for 6 out of the 10 right now. If I were to win the rest what would be my placement?

Of course I give myself breaks, Stick of Truth is good for that lol

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, I need to turn LOL Recorder back on. I've been having some great games recently, last one being one where I managed some awesome rocket snipes, including one where the guy has out of my vision, several seconds away, and moving at an angle to me, so I had to try to calculate his position and blind fire it. That was also my fiftieth win, so that's a milestone for me I guess.

Edit: Jinx may be my new favorite character. Even when I'm doing badly she's fun, and when I'm doing well (which fortunately is more often) it feels awesome and frequently hilarious (missile shots still amuse me far too much, especially now that I'm better at hitting things with them). Couple of my friends are really good supports, too, so when we team up things go really, really well.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 12, 2014

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

GoldenSeraph posted:

I am 3 for 6 out of the 10 right now. If I were to win the rest what would be my placement?

It can vary depending on the ELO of the matches you fight and other factors. I know a person who just went 5/5 and was placed into Silver V. So long as you break even you will probably avoid the "bottom of the barrel".

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm trying jungle Yi now, but I'm not sure which spirit stone upgrade to stick with. I'm used to tanks and feel safer with the golem. It becomes my one defensive item, I just wish I didn't have to get it before most of my damage items.

Is there a case to be made for the lizard stone? I'm under the impression that the DOT doesn't stack, so it seems wasted on a super fast auto attacker like Yi.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
So I picked up Satan Teemo on a whim but don't really have any clue what to do with him other than MUSHROOMS EVERYWHERE! Any advice on how to build him, since the guides I've looked at seem kind of contradictory.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Crazy Larry posted:

So I picked up Satan Teemo on a whim but don't really have any clue what to do with him other than MUSHROOMS EVERYWHERE! Any advice on how to build him, since the guides I've looked at seem kind of contradictory.

Liandry's, Sorc Shoes, Morellonomicon or Nashor's Tooth (preference, I like Morello), Deathcap, Void Staff.

Your first buys should be Haunting Guise and Sorc Shoes. Finish Liandry's ASAP. Second item the cooldown option, third is either DC or Void Staff, then the opposite.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

I'm trying jungle Yi now, but I'm not sure which spirit stone upgrade to stick with. I'm used to tanks and feel safer with the golem. It becomes my one defensive item, I just wish I didn't have to get it before most of my damage items.

Is there a case to be made for the lizard stone? I'm under the impression that the DOT doesn't stack, so it seems wasted on a super fast auto attacker like Yi.

While the DoT doesn't stack it does keep refreshing the duration. It's probably your best bet right now, until they release the upgrade to Wriggle's Lantern (sadly not in the upcoming patch).

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GoldenSeraph posted:

There's no way to say for certain where you'll end up. It depends on what your S3 MMR was before you started combined with who you end up getting matched with. I was Gold V in season 3 and had a horrible placement series going 2-8 and ended up in Silver V. My MMR was still high silver though because I ended up in Silver III after my promos skipping Silver IV entirely.

Just play them out, stop playing if you get multiple losses in a row and you'll do fine.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well that was weird. I queued up for a blind pick game, and after an attempt to get in where no less than three people rejected it, I found a game, and... It was draft. Someone ended up queue dodging (which is good because we were confused as heck and couldn't keep straight who was playing what), but after the game ended I went back and checked and the option I chose was indeed blind pick. I have no idea what happened. Could it be related to team builder apparently being gone and some weird menu bug since my client was open all night?

GoldenSeraph
Mar 8, 2006
reincarnation time!
Welp, got into Bronze 1. Better than I expected actually. Gonna call it a night on the ranked games, time to fool around on some normals lol

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Donnerberg posted:

Eldar Lizard is, in general, better than Golem, because it gives AD as well as its true damage burn, which synergizes pretty well with Yi's E. If you get Golem you'll be attacking fast but your attacks won't be doing anything of note. Defensive items for Yi, as well as most ADCs and assassins, should be ~fourth in your build, unless you're very behind I guess (in which case you're basically useless anyway), or super fed. This also depends on what you're getting, too; you can get something like a Scimitar or Maw earlier than a Banshee's or GA.

Really though Yi prioritizes Lizard -> Lifesteal (BOTRK/Hydra) -> crit chance (Shiv/Ghostblade, IE) -> Armor Pen (Last Whisper). Essentially, standard ADC path, for the most part.

quote:

While the DoT doesn't stack it does keep refreshing the duration. It's probably your best bet right now, until they release the upgrade to Wriggle's Lantern (sadly not in the upcoming patch).

I really don't have high hopes for the new Wriggle's upgrade, to be honest, cause it doesn't have mana vamp like the spirit items. Unless that scaling they put on its magic damage is infinite. I wasn't exactly clear on how that worked from the patch notes.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
So, whats the deal with Alistar? He only has a 44% win percentage and most people seem to think he sucks. I tried him today because people say he counters Leona, and he was a blast. He has an AOE knock-up, plus a nice headbutt. His heal kind of sucks and his ult isn't the greatest for a support, but it isn't bad at all. It was fun knocking the enemy ADC way behind my minions and tearing her apart, or sending the ganking jungler back down the river from whence he came.

What am I missing here?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
If you miss a headbutt or pulverize early you're likely going to lose lane if punished. His mana costs are high and his cooldowns are punishing. Plus you can W people to safety if you mess up your W Q combo.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

The Dregs posted:

So, whats the deal with Alistar? He only has a 44% win percentage and most people seem to think he sucks. I tried him today because people say he counters Leona, and he was a blast. He has an AOE knock-up, plus a nice headbutt. His heal kind of sucks and his ult isn't the greatest for a support, but it isn't bad at all. It was fun knocking the enemy ADC way behind my minions and tearing her apart, or sending the ganking jungler back down the river from whence he came.

What am I missing here?

He's not as good as Leona. To get in range of Pulverize, you either need to spend flash, or master Headbutt-Pulv, and when you do that you've just eliminated your only other form of crowd control.

That being said, outside of super professional play he's still perfectly viable in normals if you get good enough with him.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012

So um. I guess I won a ranked game today?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

seizure later posted:

He's not as good as Leona. To get in range of Pulverize, you either need to spend flash, or master Headbutt-Pulv, and when you do that you've just eliminated your only other form of crowd control.

That being said, outside of super professional play he's still perfectly viable in normals if you get good enough with him.

I'm running move speed quints and swiftness boots plus maybe zeal to help with this. We'll see if it works!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Emery posted:

So um. I guess I won a ranked game today?

Your twisted treeline team has won 3, and your 5s team has won zero of 1. How are you figuring you won a game today? I don't follow. It's not even showing you on the team, so I guess it's a visual bug? Didn't think you could have sub-30s on ranked teams anyway.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Your twisted treeline team has won 3, and your 5s team has won zero of 1. How are you figuring you won a game today? I don't follow. It's not even showing you on the team, so I guess it's a visual bug? Didn't think you could have sub-30s on ranked teams anyway.

Well I only played one game with one guy on the team and then it showed up, and we won that game, so I just kinda figured I guess.

And now it's gone, so it must have just been a bug.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
The air client gets confused when looking at teams and ranked leagues all of the time. I often click on the Leagues tab of other players and it shows information for my own league instead. It's a bad client.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What would be a good champion to upgrade to after mastering Ashe? I've been trying out all kinds of champions because it gets dull playing the same one again and again.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tired Moritz posted:

What would be a good champion to upgrade to after mastering Ashe? I've been trying out all kinds of champions because it gets dull playing the same one again and again.

Caitlyn is generally seen as a solid ADC pick that might play a bit like Ashe, as far as being mostly autoattack reliant goes (disclaimer: I haven't played Caitlyn, but I know she's good; she may or may not be similar to Ashe in practice, but she's worth learning anyway). Otherwise, what kind of ADC you want to play really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to be a relatively mobile hypercarry who can shootmans and win teamfights? You could try your hand at Tristana (who's free!) or Vayne, though neither one of them is in a great place right now. Do you want to eat towers? Try Jinx. There's also Lucian, who's essentially an AD caster with good burst in lane, pretty mobile, and is able to push towers effectively.

Other ADCs that are more niche, like Twitch and Graves, I'm not really familiar with, but you could also try them out to see if you enjoy them.

Edit: All that said, while she might be the "lame" 450 ADC option who's seen as plain and boring I wouldn't dismiss Ashe, she's got one hell of a teamfighting ult and her crit potential in lane with her passive shouldn't be dismissed lightly.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Tired Moritz posted:

Do you like Ashe's playstyle? What about her do you like? If you like ad carries aka marksmen, Varus plays similar to Ashe with an initiation type ult and poke. I prefer Sivir and Graves for newbies, because a lot of their damage is AOE and based on their skills rather than autoattacks, but most people recommend Caitlyn as the most forgiving/easy mechanics ad carry.

If you just like the huge fuckoff arrow ulti part of her kit, there are lots of champions with big aoe initiation ults. Try Amumu, Leona, Sona, Wukong, Malphite, or Zyra. All of those champions have very different playstyles in different roles, so try them out and see if you like their kits better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Obscurity posted:

For any newbie junglers, if you have a second monitor..this is awesome: http://ertu.de/jungle/

This is from a couple pages ago, but it's relevant so I'm going to reply! A couple months ago I made a windows-only app for myself that interfaces with the built-in windows voice recognition software and drops a tiny timer overlay onto the LoL screen for timers when the person playing says a phrase. Takes about 3 minutes to set up and lets you use voice chat to trigger those same timers, then sticks em wherever you want em over the actual LoL client.

It's pretty awful in every way right now because I only wrote it for myself and didn't care that it's the code equivalent of :effort:, but if this is a thing some people want, I can spend a few days cleaning it up and throw it up on Sourceforge or something so everyone can use it/view source code.

It will never trigger any sort of anti-cheat Riot code because it has absolutely nothing to do with that client, no hooks, just relies on someone saying a pre-configured phrase into a mic to start each timer. I'll open source it if people actually want to use it so everyone can see it's not stealing your logins or hooking the client and waiting on a mass ban wave. It literally does nothing except display a translucent overlay that tracks timers based on what you tell it to do over a mic

• Locked thread