Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

teagone posted:

I'm kind of remember reading or watching an interview with Evans saying he wasn't really keen on being put in the limelight of an establishing franchise. He basically said something along the lines of not being able to cope with the fame for that long or something. Maybe he was joking, no idea.

Well, before Cap he wasn't exactly getting leading roles, he was mostly a supporting actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chris Evans does a fine job as the MCU version of Cap, but once he leaves I wouldn't mind seeing the role go to someone who can pull off more of a leaderly/fatherly vibe, like the comic version of Cap. Y'know, someone who doesn't look 25. But I guess that'd be a totally different Cap.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Chris Evans does a fine job as the MCU version of Cap, but once he leaves I wouldn't mind seeing the role go to someone who can pull off more of a leaderly/fatherly vibe, like the comic version of Cap. Y'know, someone who doesn't look 25. But I guess that'd be a totally different Cap/

Why wouldn't he look 25? He was young when he became cap, and then he was frozen. Depending on the sliding timescale and super soldier serum also slows aging anyways he should maybe look younger than 25.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Why wouldn't he look 25? He was young when he became cap, and then he was frozen. Depending on the sliding timescale and super soldier serum also slows aging anyways he should maybe look younger than 25.

I know he got super soldiered when he was quite young, but he always looked more like a mid-30s guy (or slightly older), and definitely acts like one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of this is going to be wait and see on what Marvel does after they lose pretty much everyone after Avengers 3.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I'd wager its more how exhausting the schedule is since you're pretty much constantly making movies for Marvel. He's going from Cap 2 to Avengers 2 to Cap 3 to Avengers 3 in the span of something like 3 years.

He's said in the past that he's only proud of like 3 movies he's made and I doubt Captain America or the Avengers were included in that.

muscles like this? posted:

Well, before Cap he wasn't exactly getting leading roles, he was mostly a supporting actor.

Not really. He's pretty much always been the leading man, it's just most of his movies have been pretty meh (which breaks my heart because I really enjoy Chris Evans on screen and will watch most any of these bad movies).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Lurdiak posted:

I know he got super soldiered when he was quite young, but he always looked more like a mid-30s guy (or slightly older), and definitely acts like one.

But Chris Evans is in his 30's? Though I guess he'd look it more without the hairpiece.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

But Chris Evans is in his 30's? Though I guess he'd look it more without the hairpiece.

I'm specifically talking about the look here. Chris is one of those guys who could be on one of those 90s drama shows where a bunch of 30 year olds play high schoolers. And the makeup/hair job he gets as Cap makes him look even younger, which makes sense since he's meant to be at most in his mid-20s.

Movie Cap is more of a relatable idealistic kid instead of a leader figure, and that's ok. I'm just saying it'd be cool to see grizzled veteran cap on the movie screen someday. Assuming the superhero movie bubble doesn't explode and take Marvel Studios down with it or something.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 14, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is gonna be the first real look at Cap's character. Not an origin story where he's coming to terms with what happened to him, not sharing the stage. What I'm saying is maybe this movie will alleviate some of your concerns.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chris Evans is a babyface, and although I buy his childlike earnesty, I never bought him as a supreme tactical genius with the authority to shake the boots of men, which is what someone like Brubaker's cap was. I'd like to see that more weathered take on the character down the line. Maybe the second movie will move in that direction, but I still don't expect it to fully commit to that just yet. Also I'm not sure Evans will ever be able to pull that off - of all the Marvel main cast, he's the one I have the least amount of faith in.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 14, 2014

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
With Crossbones in Cap 2 (in some capacity) and Agents of SHIELD supposedly not dead, what are the odds that we'll see Taskmaster anytime soon?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Cap 3 going up against BVS seems like it might require a little extra wow-factor oompf, even if Winter Soldier does well. Perhaps it could include the Hulk?

In terms of big Cap stories left to tackle, how about his time as Nomad and the various alternate Caps? Maybe make the next movie about his importance to the world and what his absence meant for America? That could allow them to include the Hulk and make it a movie about the super solider programs over the years too. Could include Isaiah Bradley, Nuke, Abomination, U.S. Agent, etc..

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

I'm specifically talking about the look here. Chris is one of those guys who could be on one of those 90s drama shows where a bunch of 30 year olds play high schoolers. And the makeup/hair job he gets as Cap makes him look even younger, which makes sense since he's meant to be at most in his mid-20s.

Movie Cap is more of a relatable idealistic kid instead of a leader figure, and that's ok. I'm just saying it'd be cool to see grizzled veteran cap on the movie screen someday. Assuming the superhero movie bubble doesn't explode and take Marvel Studios down with it or something.

Part of that was that, as fun as Avengers was, there was right next to zero time for real character development (not to say that Joss Whedon didn't do well with such a crowded stage). It's basically Loki Opening Scene -> Team Assembly -> Fight Loki on airship -> Fight aliens in NYC. It was really a lot like 2-3 issues of a crossover event.

My hope is that Avengers 3 has the Hulk as the threat, because we still haven't ever seen a movie Hulk have a proper superhero battle.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

theflyingorc posted:

Part of that was that, as fun as Avengers was, there was right next to zero time for real character development (not to say that Joss Whedon didn't do well with such a crowded stage). It's basically Loki Opening Scene -> Team Assembly -> Fight Loki on airship -> Fight aliens in NYC. It was really a lot like 2-3 issues of a crossover event.

My hope is that Avengers 3 has the Hulk as the threat, because we still haven't ever seen a movie Hulk have a proper superhero battle.

Fighting the Abomination didn't count?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dacap posted:

Fighting the Abomination didn't count?

I want him to punch something that isn't another Hulk. :)

Hell, I just remembered that the Edward Norton movie set up The Leader. I wonder if they just decided to table that since they seem to have no interest in Hulk movies.

edit: I guess I just want to see the Hulk's strength level in context. His previous battles have been against:

1. A weirdly-defined set of powers Absorbing dad
2. Basically himself
3. Giant space monsters

I'd love for them to just show how dominant his power level is.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 14, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well he fought Thor.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

DangerKat posted:

Not surprising since Evans is a guy who treats acting as just A Job. I'd be curious to know if he even likes playing Captain America.

That is weird news to me because by my count Evans has played at least four different comic book characters in films, which led me to believe he was seeking the roles out because he loved the source material. Did he just get typecast after playing Johnny Storm?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

qntm posted:

That is weird news to me because by my count Evans has played at least four different comic book characters in films, which led me to believe he was seeking the roles out because he loved the source material. Did he just get typecast after playing Johnny Storm?

At least four?
I know about Johnny Storm, the dude in Scott Pilgrim, and now Cap.

What are the other comic character(s)?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Error 404 posted:

At least four?
I know about Johnny Storm, the dude in Scott Pilgrim, and now Cap.

What are the other comic character(s)?

Losers

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does Push count? I can't remember if that was a graphic novel first.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

I want him to punch something that isn't another Hulk. :)

Hell, I just remembered that the Edward Norton movie set up The Leader. I wonder if they just decided to table that since they seem to have no interest in Hulk movies.

edit: I guess I just want to see the Hulk's strength level in context. His previous battles have been against:

1. A weirdly-defined set of powers Absorbing dad
2. Basically himself
3. Giant space monsters

I'd love for them to just show how dominant his power level is.

He fought Blonskey with super soldier enhancements before Sterns transformed him too.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kingtheninja posted:

I totally forgot about that. I don't know if it was a comic, but that was a pretty ok movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Push was an original IP.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

What about voicing Casey Jones?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Comic book Cap was around for the entirely of the Western front of World War II. I think it makes sense to imagine him as being 30 by the time the war ends.

The biggest problem with The First Avenger is that it's an origin story that very lazily broadens its horizons by shoving in a vague montage of Cap doing stuff so it can bring itself to its necessary endpoint. Part of the reason the first act stands out so much is because it allows itself to be its own movie and not worry about setting up Avengers.

Captain America should have just been an origin story with Bucky dying at the end. It should have been a movie about the idealistic Steve Rogers being able to reconcile his ideals with the reality of war.

Ideally, Avengers should have began with Cap in World War II appearing more weathered and pragmatic, but still a beacon of democratic ideals. He freezes in the beginning. You introduce the Cosmic Cube in the beginning too because it didn't need to be in Captain America. You let time pass, you quickly establish Cap having grown and having gone on more adventures since the last time we saw him.

It would make Avengers a different movie, sure, but maybe not in a bad way. It would add a nice symmetry with Tony's act of sacrifice and it would not make Tony's line about Steve being a living legend ring a little more true. It would ultimately make Captain America a better standalone film.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If you watch Cap, then Avengers right after it feels like like that somewhat.

Most people I know who didn't like Cap 1 say the same thing, the first act is really good up until the montage of his doing awesome stuff. They felt that should have been the movie.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Crossposted from the CD thread:

Grain of salt, but Bleeding Cool is claiming that Trank and Kinberg are suddenly off the Fantastic Four reboot entirely, and that Fox may even be recasting.

Somehow, even if true, this still probably won't end with Marvel getting the rights back.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Barry Convex posted:

Crossposted from the CD thread:

Grain of salt, but Bleeding Cool is claiming that Trank and Kinberg are suddenly off the Fantastic Four reboot entirely, and that Fox may even be recasting.

Somehow, even if true, this still probably won't end with Marvel getting the rights back.

I wonder if the studio panicked when the cast reveal was met with a lot of mediocre "eh...okay, I guess" sort of responses. Even the "bu-bu-but Johnny Storm is white!" rage was kind of low effort.

The studio should just sell the rights back to Marvel Studios for a nice sum. I'd imagine that option would at least be considered if they are actually dumping everything they've done so far.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 14, 2014

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I can still dream of them getting the rights back, at least. Although of the properties held outside of Marvel, I feel like FF is fairly low in terms of importance--certainly nothing compared to Spider-Man or the X-Men.

Also, I'm pretty sure we need something with Iron Fist and Luke Cage. I mean, a movie would be great, but I feel like they'd probably lend themselves pretty well to a TV-series too, at least budget-wise.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

The Lord of Hats posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure we need something with Iron Fist and Luke Cage. I mean, a movie would be great, but I feel like they'd probably lend themselves pretty well to a TV-series too, at least budget-wise.

You know they're getting a Netflix series, right?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

DFu4ever posted:

You know they're getting a Netflix series, right?

I do now! Thank you, Retroactive Genie.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I'll believe it when Variety or someone like that reports it, not Johnston.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I can still dream of them getting the rights back, at least. Although of the properties held outside of Marvel, I feel like FF is fairly low in terms of importance--certainly nothing compared to Spider-Man or the X-Men.

Marvel don't want Spider-Man or the X-Men rights back. They want the Fantastic Four for their space stuff.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

DFu4ever posted:

The studio should just sell the rights back to Marvel Studios for a nice sum. I'd imagine that option would at least be considered if they are actually dumping everything they've done so far.

I'm not sure that Marvel would necessarily pay Fox's asking price. They're doing just fine with the properties they have, and while I'm sure they'd love to have FF back (maybe more so than X-Men or Spider-Man), they don't need FF like Fox "needs" another tentpole franchise that they can ineptly try to integrate with their X-Men universe.

...and Slashfilm claims it's false.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 14, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Trank has apparently deleted his Twitter account where he previously debunked several Fantastic Four rumors. So I dunno. Seems like there might be something to it.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Waterhaul posted:

I'll believe it when Variety or someone like that reports it, not Johnston.

Marvel don't want Spider-Man or the X-Men rights back. They want the Fantastic Four for their space stuff.

Maybe not so much X-Men, but you had better believe they want Spiderman back.

However though I feel they all fare far much better in their own little movie company universes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

I'm not sure that Marvel would necessarily pay Fox's asking price. They're doing just fine with the properties they have, and while I'm sure they'd love to have FF back (maybe more so than X-Men or Spider-Man), they don't need FF like Fox "needs" another tentpole franchise that they can ineptly try to integrate with their X-Men universe.

...and Slashfilm claims it's false.

So does Devin Faraci, straight from Fox.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm sure the rumors are false, and I doubt Fox is even entertaining selling them back, but getting the Fantastic Four back would be pretty great for Marvel, especially with Guardians of the Galaxy opening the cosmic door. There are some villains tied up with Fantastic Four that would be great to see in the Marvel U, and of course the Fantastic Four themselves would be better served in that Universe than one only potentially shared with the X-Men.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fix would probably make more money just selling the rights back and taking 1% of gross or something than they ever will with solo FF films, and tying it to the XMen is going to be weird and jumbled.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Has any moment of the x-men cinematic universe thus far been anything but weird and jumbled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ignite Memories posted:

Has any moment of the x-men cinematic universe thus far been anything but weird and jumbled?

There have been a few that were pretty cool. The Nightcrawler vs White House scene is my personal favorite.

• Locked thread