Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I guess they haven't invented wedging your keys/bottle opener under the handle in other countries yet huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

^^^When I lived in Maine I used my wallet shoved in sideways. (Ones without stops also turn off automatically too.)

Angela Christine posted:

What stops morons from leaving it in too long and spilling gas everywhere?

It clicks off automatically when the tank fills up. This is not new technology.

Bombadilillo has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Mar 14, 2014

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me

Kenny Logins posted:

Further to this, it would depend on the state. I think there are still states where you can't legally pump your own gas much less do it on auto.

I think New Jersey does this. I remember driving through there a few years ago and the attendant freaked out about it being illegal when he caught me pumping it myself.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Kenny Logins posted:

Further to this, it would depend on the state. I think there are still states where you can't legally pump your own gas much less do it on auto.

New Jersey is like this. All gas stations are full service only.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Alien Arcana posted:

New Jersey is like this. All gas stations are full service only.

And Oregon. Its awkward driving through, do you tip? Car equivalent of a bathroom attendant.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Shampoo posted:

Sounds like getting gas in New England sucks balls.

We have lobster, pretty leaves sometimes, and it's not the south :shrug:

Angela Christine posted:

Know how when you fill the tank the handle clicks and it stops pumping even though you hold the trigger down? That.

Funny picture:

The model plane did not hit/kill the horse. He was rolling around scratching his back

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Angela Christine posted:

In the US you pre pay for gas and it stops when you hit what you've paid for.

Tater Tot 13
Nov 14, 2003

Making the best of a goon situation.

Bombadilillo posted:

And Oregon. Its awkward driving through, do you tip? Car equivalent of a bathroom attendant.

Kinda, but I've never had a bathroom attendant hold my hose for me.

I normally would tip 2 bucks when passing through NJ.

Also they have the little wedgey things here in NC.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

cubicle gangster posted:

Definitely not the way you have to do it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Did too many people blow themselves up? Is that why some states don't have them?

Angela Christine posted:

All it takes is a couple of major environmental remediations and bam! There goes your pump freedoms.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dialhforhero posted:

If I understand you correctly: yes. There is this little wedge that is attached to the trigger that can be set up against usually 2 or 3 different 'stops' and it holds the trigger up for you. Thank you simple machines.

In fact, you get so used to using this little wedge that when you hit a gas station that has them removed you can get pretty annoyed. Hold my own gas trigger in with my hands? Ain't nobody got time for that! #1stworldproblems

Fake edit: Some states removed this. I think it may have had something to do with forgetting to put the nozzle away and driving off, ruining the pump, or gas station mishaps.

Most stations around here removed them after some shithead kids decided it would be fun to put the trigger on the stop on the inactive pumps.

The next poor sucker pays, selects octane, picks up the handle and gets gas everyfuckingwhere.

Thanks a lot, you good-for-nothing shithead dumbass poorly-raised kids! :argh:

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Most places I know people use cards to pay at the pump or have cards that will start the machine so they can pay afterwards.

Even in those places where you exclusively have to pay before pumping the machines are going to have a built in system to know when the tank is full.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

That's pretty cool and all but what keeps me from driving away with it still in my car?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Solice Kirsk posted:

I guess they haven't invented wedging your keys/bottle opener under the handle in other countries yet huh?

Us old timers use the gas cap. Only works with older cars with no silly gas cap tether.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
No gas lock lever must suck for any one with a large diesel tank or stuff like welders/generators to fill up.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

//edit: that's not a funny picture, though.

How about Ghost Rider on a shark, bear, or flaming elephant?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Darth Freddy posted:

No gas lock lever must suck for any one with a large diesel tank or stuff like welders/generators to fill up.

It does. I was a coach bus driver for my unit in Hawaii, and when I first started driving that behemoth (221 gallon tank), then diesel nozzle at the base's fuel farm didn't have the lock. At some point, they did install one, which made filling that thing up from halfway (where we tried to keep it) so much better.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Decrepus posted:

That's pretty cool and all but what keeps me from driving away with it still in my car?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Kenny Logins posted:

All it takes is a couple of major environmental remediations and bam! There goes your pump freedoms.

Don't worry. I'm typing up a chain e-mail right now to send to all my relatives and friends about how Odumbo is "Taking away are freedom at the pump."

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Darth Freddy posted:

Most pumps also have a little button that makes it pump 4-5x faster. Don't use it in your car though because at that pressure the locking mechanism let slip half a gallon or so.

Glad I could be of help in the gas nozzle discussion thread.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

newreply.php posted:

Most pumps also have a little button that makes it pump 4-5x faster. Don't use it in your car though because at that pressure the locking mechanism let slip half a gallon or so.

Glad I could be of help in the gas nozzle discussion thread.

Where is this secret button? I'm going to use it on my motorcycle!

If it ever gets warm out.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012
PYF gas station practices

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

captainOrbital posted:

Where is this secret button? I'm going to use it on my motorcycle!

If it ever gets warm out.

Usually on the pump itself. It's often marked with an image of a truck to make sure people don't use it on for example their motorcycles.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

might be wrong posted:

PYF gas station practices

I always take a little sip before pouring it in the tank, which is also why I only buy premium.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Stay classy, wikihow.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Bombadilillo posted:

Its awkward driving through, do you tip?

gently caress no.

Gas station attendants are the worst. Even if I were in the habit of tipping for good service I never get tip-worthy service from them.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

May Contain Nuts posted:

gently caress no.

Gas station attendants are the worst. Even if I were in the habit of tipping for good service I never get tip-worthy service from them.

What the hell kind of poo poo are you expecting? You give them an amount of money and they turn that money into gasoline and put it in your car. Should they dance while they do it?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Did too many people blow themselves up? Is that why some states don't have them? My state does. :smug:

content

This would have been capped off perfectly by Tiger holding a bundle of hundred dollar bills, flicking a few of them off onto the ground. He pretty clearly doesn't give gently caress #1 about the guy on the ground.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I live in New Jersey and I don't think I've ever seen someone tip a gas station attendant

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Modern Day Hercules posted:

What the hell kind of poo poo are you expecting? You give them an amount of money and they turn that money into gasoline and put it in your car. Should they dance while they do it?

It's one guy for as many pumps as the station has, always on his phone, usually with only a loose understanding of English (including numbers and the words associated with pumping gas) who will take his sweet rear end time getting to your car even when you're the only one at the station, will take his sweet rear end time coming back to your cat after the pump finishes, will attempt to top of your tank even if you tell him not too. And one of them broke the door off of my gas tank one time and didn't tell me so I didn't realize until I got home.

That's just the worst case scenario guy, but most of the attendants will exhibit several of the practices described above, especially the taking of their sweet rear end time. And you can't just decide to go to a station with better service because 95% of the guys are like this across the state.

I work in retail, I would be fired in a second if I dealt with customers like has station attendants deal with the general public.

That being said, the guys who work at the rest stops on the highways are very good, so if you're just passing through the state you'll get good service. But once you get to the local stations the quality of service just drops through the floor.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Did too many people blow themselves up? Is that why some states don't have them? My state does. :smug:

content

Can I get the background on this? It kind of looks like, Tiger went off and hit a guy so hard he started bleeding. e/n has taught me that he probably deserved it though, since some of the guys appear to be clapping.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

CzarChasm posted:

Can I get the background on this? It kind of looks like, Tiger went off and hit a guy so hard he started bleeding. e/n has taught me that he probably deserved it though, since some of the guys appear to be clapping.

Tiger hit him right in the face with a drive. First drive of the tournament, I believe. Golf ball bounced off the guy's skull like it'd hit a cart path. I'm pretty sure he required medical attention.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
It's tradition to give the guy a signed glove and ball or something, but the look on Tiger's face is pretty hilarious to me

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's tradition to give the guy a signed glove and ball or something, but the look on Tiger's face is pretty hilarious to me

To be fair, Tiger's experiencing a fair amount of back pain these days.

To be unfair, he could show a bit of sympathy, yeah. :v:

iverson
Apr 25, 2012

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
That dude just got pinged.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

dialhforhero posted:

If I understand you correctly: yes. There is this little wedge that is attached to the trigger that can be set up against usually 2 or 3 different 'stops' and it holds the trigger up for you. Thank you simple machines.

In fact, you get so used to using this little wedge that when you hit a gas station that has them removed you can get pretty annoyed. Hold my own gas trigger in with my hands? Ain't nobody got time for that! #1stworldproblems

Fake edit: Some states removed this. I think it may have had something to do with forgetting to put the nozzle away and driving off, ruining the pump, or gas station mishaps.

I always just stick the gas cap under the trigger if the wedge thing is removed

e:fb

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Mar 15, 2014

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Evil Crouton posted:

I think New Jersey does this. I remember driving through there a few years ago and the attendant freaked out about it being illegal when he caught me pumping it myself.

I wasn't born here but I learned to drive here. I've never pumped my own gas. I drove to philly once and was out of gas and pulled in and waited five minutes before I realized what side of the river I was on and that nobody was coming to help me. I took my chances and drove over that bridge on fumes. I am a rank coward and would do anything to avoid that situation, that whole, how do I make it do? Are there instructions? Do I look dumb looking around for instructions? Do I pay now or later? There was a rich character on the simpsons who never pumped her own gas and marge lifted a thing to make it work. What if there's no thing to lift? What if the simpsons lied to me and I waste time looking for a thing to lift? God willing I'll never have to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

^^^^^
EDIT: LMFAO at all of this

Polaron posted:

Tiger hit him right in the face with a drive. First drive of the tournament, I believe. Golf ball bounced off the guy's skull like it'd hit a cart path. I'm pretty sure he required medical attention.

Am I the rear end in a top hat if I think that this is fine? I mean, it's a loving game of golf and you're standing around the green, that poo poo wouldn't fly during casual play so why do they allow spectators at these pro events?

• Locked thread