Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gyger
Feb 19, 2010

Thwomp posted:

So ummmmm.....I'm not sure i'd consider this a win.

:stare::stare:

Looks like Defcon on the Geoscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Notorious QIG posted:

This game looks pretty neat but I don't really want to plop down $4 on an impulse buy. Would you say it's worth it? It looks kind of shallow, is it?

Jesus Christ. Have you ever tried a new food or drink? It's a $4 risk.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
But .. butt... my pleasure per dollar ratio will plummet if its bad :(

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Notorious QIG posted:

This game looks pretty neat but I don't really want to plop down $4 on an impulse buy. Would you say it's worth it? It looks kind of shallow, is it?

I'd say wait for sale/price drop.

It's fun but there isn't too much to it right now.

You basically have two main weapons to work with: cruise missiles and nuclear weapons. Cruise missiles are mostly used to shoot down incoming nukes but that can also be used on the attack (they just aren't super effective).

Nukes come in two flavors: intermediate (IR) and intercontinental (IC). Depending on your starting country, you may start with ICs or have to research access to nukes from the beginning (at which point, you unlock IRs first). There's no real reason to build IRs as they have limited range and don't get any of the range upgrades you can research for the IC.

So you end up building at least one cruise missile per territory spot for defense, and then build as many IC nukes as you can while also watching for incoming nukes to shoot down. Fending these off while attacking/expanding and driving opponents into corners is pretty much the whole game.

Most games you can fend off one-off attacks easily allowing you to build up an arsenal and really attack when you're ready. There's always the chance an enemy could launch a First Strike, in which it launches every nuke at once that has the range to hit the target. These are generally indefensible (not for lack of trying though. The targeting for cruise missiles only attacks the nearest warhead so, when you've got a nice defense set up, it's wasted a bit if 20 nukes are inbound all at once).

Depending on your starting superpower, you'll have certain research unlocked already for you. USA gets satellite recon and ICs unlocked right away while North Korea gets no starting research. What research you start with as well as the number of starting territories belonging to your superpower at the start generally dictates the difficulty (although you can play with the number of other superpowers involved but, strangely, that has no effect on the stated difficulty). So the USA gets a bunch of research as well as 4 or 5 starting territories as its classified as 'Easy'. North Korea gets no starting research and territories outside of itself so it's classified as 'Impossible'.

I've encountered a few weird bugs where territory I own is unselectable. I'm not sure why it's happening and I can't replicate it with reliability.

Fractal Wave
Feb 7, 2009
My companies new game "Pork Chop Hero" is now out on iOS.

It's a top down shooter where you are a pig that shoots bacon at people until they explode (dual stick controls).
It has a survival mode and a campaign mode (with door/switch/ally type puzzles).

There is also a Pro version for $1.99 with no ads and all levels unlocked.
(the non pro version has 16 campaign levels and 1 survival map)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fractal Wave posted:

It's a top down shooter where you are a pig that shoots bacon at people until they explode

God bless you and your company. Sold.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The Dave posted:

The Dave posted:

Please tell me more about the current state of my finances, thanks.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They're awful. You're welcome.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Thwomp posted:

I'd say wait for sale/price drop.

It's fun but there isn't too much to it right now.

:words:

I've encountered a few weird bugs where territory I own is unselectable. I'm not sure why it's happening and I can't replicate it with reliability.
Thank you for a cool, useful, on-point response to a question I was having as well, where

The Dave posted:

was not terribly helpful at all.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I'm sorry ma, we can't feed the children. The harvest was not good this year and that 4 dollar cat simulator I bought turned out to be a bad investment. We will be hungry this winter.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Ok then, how about this:

Paying money for lovely games encourages developers to develop more lovely games.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

The Dave posted:

I rate this review a 4 out of 5. Low on content, but could easily be cross posted on a food and wine site.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

gigawhite posted:

I'm sorry ma, we can't feed the children. The harvest was not good this year and that 4 dollar cat simulator I bought turned out to be a bad investment. We will be hungry this winter.

I can't tell if this is being said by the game dev company or the consumer. Maybe both?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

The Dave posted:

:drat:

Just rub some dirt in it and walk it off. Getting owned happens to the best of us.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 14, 2014

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

MissMarple posted:

Basically Healing is the way to get deeper; especially Super Healing. Explosive Arrows are also one of the most efficient depth:durability things to have more of.

I also advise you use the deck to make a 5* combo of More Crates, Artefact Crate and Super Healing (or whatever your best distance increasing card is). With that combo I can harvest ~50 artefacts per run, which as well as giving me 2000+ cash is making me the office favourite of everyone for trading.

I have yet to uncover any healing cards besides 16% Healing Coal.

I'll keep digging. Thanks for the tips.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Helical Nightmares posted:

:drat:

Just rub some dirt in it and walk it off. Getting owned happens to the best of us.

Helical Nightmares posted:

So the guys who made Hero Academy (which I am enjoying) put out another iOS game a while back called Echo Prime.

Is it worth the $4? Any experiences with it?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think Helical Nightmares was being sarcastic.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

axleblaze posted:

I think Helical Nightmares was being sarcastic.
Maybe, but point is, everyone has times where they ask if a non-free thing is worth getting and it's cool to answer them because maybe someone else was thinking of asking the same thing. Then we can all buy the good games and not the bad games.

HN himself I know has done some good work for this thread with thorough write-ups and reviews and presumably his purpose is to steer us to the good things.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Notorious QIG posted:

I don't really want to plop down $4 on an impulse buy
Not expensive enough?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not expensive enough?

I hate you :vd:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Spend-shaming is real. Don't be a dick guys.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey the Crazy Taxi port that is free right now is pretty good.

Greyman
Apr 20, 2005

Free? I only buy games if they cost $4

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fix posted:

Okay

YA YA YA YA YA

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Does it really still have Offspring music?!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I was worried it doesn't but app description says it has Offspring and Bad Religion in it so probably yeah.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Does it really still have Offspring music?!
Yes it's the original soundtrack, which actually makes it one of the better ports that Crazy Taxi has ever received.

The Yum brands (Taco Bell, KFC, etc.) are not present, but who cares.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

bobfather posted:

Paying money for lovely games encourages developers to develop more lovely games.

He's cracked the case: there are so many lovely iOS games because everyone keeps buying them!. :psyduck:

If you ever released a game on iOS you'd know how incredibly crazy that sounds.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wow, hopefully the IAP won't be crazy. Now I'm jazzed.

As a side note, the latest Bad Religion album is their best, if you enjoyed them on CT.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jake Armitage posted:

He's cracked the case: there are so many lovely iOS games because everyone keeps buying them!. :psyduck:

You have a point for the general view but then you have Square Enix's "take" on iOS (or anything related to one of their JRPG properties, really) where his logic works.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Kenny Logins posted:

You have a point for the general view but then you have Square Enix's "take" on iOS (or anything related to one of their JRPG properties, really) where his logic works.

It's sort of hard to use Squeenix as an example as I'd argue that when you buy a Final Fantasy game these days you're not even buying the game as much as you're paying $20 for the nostalgia of remembering what playing the game was like. I'd loving love to see analytics of any of their games to see how many people launch the app more than once. That's something no one can duplicate, ever, on any level, aside from other publishers with equally revered classic IP.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Fix posted:

Goodbye, my weekend.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:h:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

io_burn posted:

It's sort of hard to use Squeenix as an example as I'd argue that when you buy a Final Fantasy game these days you're not even buying the game as much as you're paying $20 for the nostalgia of remembering what playing the game was like. I'd loving love to see analytics of any of their games to see how many people launch the app more than once. That's something no one can duplicate, ever, on any level, aside from other publishers with equally revered classic IP.
True, it gets kind of messy when you conflate high-handed pricing policy with having nostalgia-driven IPs with rabid fanbases.

I guess I can't really think of any devs who make bad games with high prices who don't also have classic IP going for them.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

diapermeat posted:

I have yet to uncover any healing cards besides 16% Healing Coal.

I'll keep digging. Thanks for the tips.

I had the healing crate card and I turned it into the healing coal card. That was a huge mistake.

Now I'm saving up for a rainbow crate. Should I just crack my three diamond crates instead?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

tuyop posted:

I had the healing crate card and I turned it into the healing coal card. That was a huge mistake.

Now I'm saving up for a rainbow crate. Should I just crack my three diamond crates instead?

I did the same thing. Fun fact : healing blocks do not spawn unless you have a healing crate card or any of the cards that upgrade healing blocks.

Also go for it -- you're guaranteed legendaries from rainbow crates. This was better back when you'd get things like Coal Galore from them instead of Topaz Industry or whatever the gently caress, but this applies to all crates now :argh:

I've been generally pleased with Pocket Mine, which is surprising considering how simple it is. The only complaint I have is how the new ore types are both rare as hell and have their own associated upgrade cards (more blocks, more nuggets, rigged, salesman, industry, galore) which really dilutes the number of actually useful cards you see and get. Even the touch cards seem to be depth limited -- I got a Topaz Touch card and only saw them start spawning after 300 depth, at which point I'm almost out of hits anyway.

Also regarding Block Legends -- I'm walking back what I said about agility being a trap. The fact that agility actually increases the amount of turns per swing for enemies is super huge, and way better than the increased crit / evasion rates (of which I never saw any). A pure magic / agility build can heal up to full easily, has 5 turns to prepare attacks, and is pretty good as long as you stay about the one-shot threshold for bosses. This means that Tony Meow is probably better than the Witch, just since his starting stats are more focused to AGI/INT

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I don't usually play iPhone games (other than Words with Friends for social purposes), but when I found out that Seanbaby's game "Calculords" was not just a joke, I had to try it out. Especially when I found out it was free.

I am really impressed. I think that a lot of the buzz about it was that it was a math puzzle game. It isn't really a math puzzle game, it is a strategy game with a math puzzle element. It took me a day or two of play to get beyond "play all my numbers" before I realized the deeper strategy of placing push units first, then attack units, etc. And then started editing my deck to not include every card I have in it!

So far, I've beaten all of the levels besides Hate Bit. I am guessing that even with good cards and a good deck, I am only going to beat Hate Bit with some luck.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

glowing-fish posted:

I am really impressed. I think that a lot of the buzz about it was that it was a math puzzle game. It isn't really a math puzzle game, it is a strategy game with a math puzzle element. It took me a day or two of play to get beyond "play all my numbers" before I realized the deeper strategy of placing push units first, then attack units, etc. And then started editing my deck to not include every card I have in it!
I hate editing my deck - I wish there was a clear deck button, and I wish the app was more touch sensitive. But it is a pretty fun game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

Also regarding Block Legends -- I'm walking back what I said about agility being a trap. The fact that agility actually increases the amount of turns per swing for enemies is super huge, and way better than the increased crit / evasion rates (of which I never saw any). A pure magic / agility build can heal up to full easily, has 5 turns to prepare attacks, and is pretty good as long as you stay about the one-shot threshold for bosses. This means that Tony Meow is probably better than the Witch, just since his starting stats are more focused to AGI/INT

I played block legends today and got the furthest I ever got pumping agi into a witch and it crashed. I really want to like the game but the constant crashes (always when I'm going well :argh:) and poo poo like equipment straight up not working is seriously holding it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Jake Armitage posted:

I've never released a game because I can't program, nor can I design assets, therefore it would be poo poo.

If I did make and release such a poo poo game and everyone made sure not to buy it, I would most assuredly not spend the time or money to make another.

On the other hand, if I made a poo poo game and lots of people bought it, I would be convinced that making games that were a bit poo poo was fine, and I would thus make more probably lovely games.

The classic case for this is the infamous 100 Rogues. A game that went through incarnations that ranged from "completely broken" to "workable" to "fixed, but with crazy levels of IAP". The fact that people even spent money on the game led to "100 Trials" being released in 2012. And whereas 100 Rogues has had 25 updates to fix the outrageously broken poo poo in the game, 100 Trials has never been updated. Because people learned their lesson and didn't pay money for what was probably a poo poo game.

• Locked thread