Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Add threads=1 to the FFVideoSource / FFAudioSource: v= FFVideosource("ALP.mp4", fpsnum=30, seekmode=0, threads=1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It should also be fixed in the newest version of FFMS2, which is now on github despite the first result on Google still linking to the old Google Code page.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is there a way to do a batch of images from Irfanview that have a transparent background while still retaining their transparency?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Unfortunately, Irfanview sucks at transparency, so I don't think so. ImageMagick definitely works if you know your way around a command line.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

code:
loadplugin("E:\VideoEditingStuff\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\FFMS2.dll") 
loadplugin("E:\VideoEditingStuff\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ColorMatrix.dll") 
FFIndex("C:\Fraps\Movies\E001Video.avi")
FFVideoSource("E001Video.avi", fpsnum=30)
ColorYUV(levels="PC->TV")
ColorMatrix(mode="rec.709->rec.601", clamp=0)
spline36resize(1280,720)
So now that I've got a working script. I'm sidestepping audio by putting it in at the muxing stage and leaving it out of the avs script. However now my issue is of course, 30mins of raw 1080p FRAPs footage is a ghastly 85GB in size. This appears to be causing FFMS2 to choke as it attempts to FFIndex the clip. Should I bite the bullet and cut the video down to more manageable chunks?

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Xerxes17 posted:

code:
spline36resize(1280,720)
So now that I've got a working script. I'm sidestepping audio by putting it in at the muxing stage and leaving it out of the avs script. However now my issue is of course, 30mins of raw 1080p FRAPs footage is a ghastly 85GB in size. This appears to be causing FFMS2 to choke as it attempts to FFIndex the clip. Should I bite the bullet and cut the video down to more manageable chunks?

Define "chokes". It's supposed to take a long time to index a file; just sit around and wait for it to finish. While it's indexing, it will just look like it's frozen, but it isn't.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

The T posted:

Define "chokes". It's supposed to take a long time to index a file; just sit around and wait for it to finish. While it's indexing, it will just look like it's frozen, but it isn't.

Well as you said it doesn't hard freeze, but it does stop me from just pushing it to render which is annoying since I now have a process running with no indication when it will be finished. I then have to kick it again to get it rendering and as such I am wondering if there is a more effective way of doing things.

The T
May 29, 2010

Xerxes17 posted:

Well as you said it doesn't hard freeze, but it does stop me from just pushing it to render which is annoying since I now have a process running with no indication when it will be finished. I then have to kick it again to get it rendering and as such I am wondering if there is a more effective way of doing things.

You only have to index the file once and then it's indexed. Just don't delete the index file. When you drop your avs into VirtualDub or what have you to preview it, it will be indexed then and you won't have to worry about it again when you render.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

The T posted:

You only have to index the file once and then it's indexed. Just don't delete the index file. When you drop your avs into VirtualDub or what have you to preview it, it will be indexed then and you won't have to worry about it again when you render.

Ah so, if I just make an avs with just this:

code:
FFIndex("C:\Fraps\Movies\Clip.avi")
And open that up with virtual dub it will index it and save it? Do I need to specify say an index file to load it later or will it automatically find it?

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Read the OP, still have this question

I want to listen to game audio and voice chat simultaneously through my headphones, but record the audio streams separately. I want to do this without lag. What do I do? I'm willing to spend money. I've already tried Virtual Audio Cable but that poo poo lags.

Current hardware available-

Logitech G930 headset
Hauppauge HD PVR2 Gamer whatever
Avermedia Live Gamer HD internal
Motherboard has Realtek audio

Are you sure VAC is the one lagging? If you're using Hauppauge like I do, you've got it going passthrough to your TV. The audio from the game is going to naturally be at a delay because of the PVR and not the game. If this turns out to be your problem, you can potentially use a male-to-male line from your TV back to your computer to get the audio from the passthrough at less of a delay.

The T
May 29, 2010

Xerxes17 posted:

Ah so, if I just make an avs with just this:

code:
FFIndex("C:\Fraps\Movies\Clip.avi")
And open that up with virtual dub it will index it and save it? Do I need to specify say an index file to load it later or will it automatically find it?

EDIT: Oh, didn't even bother to look at your sample avs; FFIndex will actually tell it "index it again", I think (never used it), so what you'll want to do is just load it normally with FFVideoSource; that way the first time it will index it, but after that it won't re-index it.

The T fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 12, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Xerxes17 posted:

code:
spline36resize(1280,720)

Why are you using FFMS2 on Fraps files? Unless I'm missing something important, you should just use AVISource.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

EntranceJew posted:

Are you sure VAC is the one lagging? If you're using Hauppauge like I do, you've got it going passthrough to your TV. The audio from the game is going to naturally be at a delay because of the PVR and not the game. If this turns out to be your problem, you can potentially use a male-to-male line from your TV back to your computer to get the audio from the passthrough at less of a delay.

I don't have any problem at all with audio sync plugged directly from the source to the capture device whether it's TV or PC. The lag is introduced when I try to duplicate the audio stream for multiple outputs. Whether I do this with VAC or with the Stereo Mix option in my sound settings, I get lag. It's only like .2 seconds, but that poo poo is very noticeable.

Ultimately what I want is like the below image. Like I said I can throw money at this but I just don't know how to make it happen. I don't mind buying another sound card or whatever. I just need to know that whatever I come up with is going to work. I want audio from games in my video and nothing else. I want audio from my voice chat in another recording and nothing else. I want audio from all sources through both my desktop speakers and my headset, so I can swap between them however I want. Currently I don't even know how to isolate the game audio from non-game audio. The only option I've been able to come up with involves using multiple outputs and using a physical coupler to combine all the sources and then a Y-splitter to pipe it through to my speakers and using a standalone mic and headphones. I'm not cool with that much physical cabling involved.

This is on Windows 8.1 btw.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 12, 2014

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

frozentreasure posted:

Why are you using FFMS2 on Fraps files? Unless I'm missing something important, you should just use AVISource.

You are, you're missing the entire discussion of how the FRAPS AVI codec doesn't deal with colors quite correctly if it recorded using its YV12 mode. (It always converts back to RGB32 and does a bad job of it.) Using the FFMpeg codec deals with that.

The T posted:

EDIT: Oh, didn't even bother to look at your sample avs; FFIndex will actually tell it "index it again", I think (never used it), so what you'll want to do is just load it normally with FFVideoSource; that way the first time it will index it, but after that it won't re-index it.

All FFIndex says is "do a complete index of this file if one hasn't been done yet." By "complete" I mean that if you use FFVideoSource FFMS2 won't bother indexing the audio stream, so if you then use FFAudioSource it then has to reindex the entire file. You can use FFIndex to ensure only one index is done.

Once an index has been done, it won't be redone unless you delete the .ffindex file.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

signalnoise posted:

Ultimately what I want is like the below image. Like I said I can throw money at this but I just don't know how to make it happen. I don't mind buying another sound card or whatever. I just need to know that whatever I come up with is going to work. I want audio from games in my video and nothing else. I want audio from my voice chat in another recording and nothing else. I want audio from all sources through both my desktop speakers and my headset, so I can swap between them however I want. Currently I don't even know how to isolate the game audio from non-game audio. The only option I've been able to come up with involves using multiple outputs and using a physical coupler

If you're using a capture device, wouldn't that automatically take care of segregating the game audio from the non-game audio? Or are you using the capture device to capture your PC where it's also mumbling?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

judge reinhold posted:

If you're using a capture device, wouldn't that automatically take care of segregating the game audio from the non-game audio? Or are you using the capture device to capture your PC where it's also mumbling?

In this case I'm specifically talking about output from a PC that is also using Mumble, yes. I won't be using voice chat on my consoles so that won't be a problem. The problem with the PC is that Windows apparently segregates audio streams by port or device, so for example I can't have Spotify running to both my headset and my desktop speakers. A bigger problem is the "Default Device" issue where you cannot specify where the audio stream goes, so it just goes to whatever is the default at the time. I don't how to specify where my game audio goes. I can however specify where Mumble goes, so that's just always on my headset. The problem comes around when you want to isolate streams for capture because all the capture devices I know of take audio from a plug somewhere, whether it's the Hauppauge taking it from optical or HDMI, or the Avermedia card taking it from a 3.5mm out of the sound card. So I know that at some point, I have to have the game audio stream isolated from everything to a single out which then goes into my capture device, and then join them later physically unless I can find some way to pipe a stream to my headphones independently, duplicated from the stream that goes to the capture device.

This might be a better picture. There could be multiple ways to address this issue but ultimately I need the below outcome.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 12, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Xenoveritas posted:

You are, you're missing the entire discussion of how the FRAPS AVI codec doesn't deal with colors quite correctly if it recorded using its YV12 mode. (It always converts back to RGB32 and does a bad job of it.) Using the FFMpeg codec deals with that.

That'll show me for not paying attention; thought that was a different conversation.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

signalnoise posted:

In this case I'm specifically talking about output from a PC that is also using Mumble, yes. I won't be using voice chat on my consoles so that won't be a problem. The problem with the PC is that Windows apparently segregates audio streams by port or device, so for example I can't have Spotify running to both my headset and my desktop speakers. A bigger problem is the "Default Device" issue where you cannot specify where the audio stream goes, so it just goes to whatever is the default at the time. I don't how to specify where my game audio goes.

Yea, Windows's native audio is inflexible. I'm basing this off my PVR experience. What I did was set Windows's default playback device to, say, VAC cable #1. Then, I'd open a VAC Audio Repeater (MME) and route Cable #1 to the TV. You could use Audacity to record VAC #1, which would only be Windows Audio. I'm curious why VAC lags for you, since it doesn't for me. Seems like something else is wrong since you said that the delay is there for other non-VAC methods of audio routing.

Apologies if this isn't what you're after, this sort of thing is difficult to describe/imagine without seeing it in person.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah I think I'm just going to be forced to use physical cables. Thanks

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Okay, I feel like I'm using Adobe Premiere's encoder wrong, because when I use it, it makes the video really blurry. I'm not sure why this is the case in this specific instance, since I've used it before to encode stuff from fraps and it's turned out fine. I don't hugely know what I'm doing, but using H.264 with Youtube SD preset has worked fine so far (I know it's not the best, but I'm bad at experimenting).

What am I missing?

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Crosspeice posted:

Okay, I feel like I'm using Adobe Premiere's encoder wrong, because when I use it, it makes the video really blurry. I'm not sure why this is the case in this specific instance, since I've used it before to encode stuff from fraps and it's turned out fine. I don't hugely know what I'm doing, but using H.264 with Youtube SD preset has worked fine so far (I know it's not the best, but I'm bad at experimenting).

What am I missing?

Noooooo don't do any of this. Check out debugmode frameserver and read the OP please.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah that's what I thought, good to know for future, I'll give it a second read.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You want this:

http://salp.wikia.com/wiki/Basics_on_editing_in_Adobe_Premiere_Pro

Particularly part 3. The default encoder is poo poo so the idea is either export to a lagarith encoded AVI and then re-encode in MeGUI or just frameserve directly to MeGUI with Debugmode Frameserver.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Had to get the new FFMS2, but it worked! So, thanks everyone!

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm getting a really weird bug in a video I recorded. I recorded it with VirtualDub+SCFH and used Lagarith for the compression codec. The AVI came out fine, I can view it on VLC, VirtualDub, hell even WMP can play it. For some reason though all of my editing software can't see it at all. I import it to Premiere Pro CS6 or After Effects and both get the audio but can't see the video at all so I can't edit it. I tried converting it with MeGUI into an MP4 and it goes through the whole process of grabbing it and converting it but nothing actually comes out. I have a feeling it's something to do with Lagarith because this is the first time I've used it as a compression codec.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Best Friend Skull posted:

I'm getting a really weird bug in a video I recorded. I recorded it with VirtualDub+SCFH and used Lagarith for the compression codec. The AVI came out fine, I can view it on VLC, VirtualDub, hell even WMP can play it. For some reason though all of my editing software can't see it at all. I import it to Premiere Pro CS6 or After Effects and both get the audio but can't see the video at all so I can't edit it. I tried converting it with MeGUI into an MP4 and it goes through the whole process of grabbing it and converting it but nothing actually comes out. I have a feeling it's something to do with Lagarith because this is the first time I've used it as a compression codec.

What were your lagarith settings.

e: Why are you using some weird japanese program like SCFH and not OBS?

MEAT! fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 14, 2014

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

MEAT! posted:

What were your lagarith settings.

e: Why are you using some weird japanese program like SCFH and not OBS?

OBS eats the game's framerate, SCFH is very light on CPU. I don't know how to check those settings but I didn't change them from their default.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Can anyone point me to software for pulling in multiple streams? Something like TotalBiscuit uses on the Co-Optional Podcast so you can replicate 3 (or more/less) other streams on yours and relay it out to viewers?

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

slowbeef posted:

Can anyone point me to software for pulling in multiple streams? Something like TotalBiscuit uses on the Co-Optional Podcast so you can replicate 3 (or more/less) other streams on yours and relay it out to viewers?

I know that you can use Xsplit to create multiple sources from streams on twitch/etc. Not sure if you're using OBS, but since the two are fairly close otherwise, I wouldn't see why not.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

slowbeef posted:

OBS mac support is still on its way, but if you are using OBS there's a chance that the video source plugin would work if you got the correct RTMP urls. There's also the browser source plugin that you could use to build a one-off page that embeds the streams you desired.

Side note: OBS v0.613b causes really weird slowdown for some people, if it is giving you this sort of trouble please visit the releases page and try the second most recent version to see if it still gives you trouble. You can install two versions of OBS along-side each-other, so don't install over your existing copy.

EntranceJew fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 14, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I figured out my poo poo and now I'm all set up as far as recording goes. Unfortunately I forgot that these videos take up a huge amount of hard drive space. So, now I want new hard drive(s). What do I buy?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
A big one.

To be serious, this is the type of question you should check out the PC parts picking thread for. They'll have better answers.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I figured out my poo poo and now I'm all set up as far as recording goes. Unfortunately I forgot that these videos take up a huge amount of hard drive space. So, now I want new hard drive(s). What do I buy?

I have a 1TB Caviar Blue as a disk that I use purely as a scratch recording disk, where my fresh screen recording/capture card videos go, away from my OS drive. It's pretty cheap, only costing ~60 bux.

I also have a 3TB Caviar Red as a storage, and use it as a place for the final encode of my videos. I use it over the Caviar Greens because the Reds are more robust, meant to be on constantly, and aren't anemic like the Greens are. But that's what I use; there's a 3TB 7200rpm Seagate drive that seems pretty popular too.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

signalnoise posted:

https://frapsforum.com/threads/best-fraps-performance-tips-afaik.559/

https://frapsforum.com/threads/recommended-hard-drives-for-fraps-recording.536/

Look at the table in the first link that shows the data rate for your desired format. Then look at which of the drives matches or exceeds that in the 2nd post. I've personally got a Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB setup with a 350gb short stroke partition that gets 180MB/s write speed and I'm really drat happy with that. The 2nd bigger partition can do 160MB/s for comparison.

And thanks for the help thread, got my two videos up on youtube now :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M628z8maKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5OIEi3LIY4

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Right on, thanks for the help, I should be set for a very long time now I think.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Xerxes17 posted:

I've personally got a Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB setup with a 350gb short stroke partition that gets 180MB/s write speed and I'm really drat happy with that. The 2nd bigger partition can do 160MB/s for comparison.

Same. Caviar Blacks are really good.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ok so I'm trying something new in this episode I'm editing and I want to have an image show up in the video for about four seconds. I'm following this guide in the OP and I'm at this part:

code:
boxart=ImageSource("boxart.jpg", pixel_type="RGB32", fps=video.framerate)
boxart=boxart.LanczosResize(video.width,video.height)
#substitute your resize function of choice

boxart=BlankClip(video).Layer(boxart)
#now boxart matches all of video's properties!

video=video.Trim(0,50)+image.Trim(0,15)+video.Trim(51,0)
...however when I try to open my code, I get the error "Layer: image formats don't match". I'm not sure what's causing it because I've never done something like this before. For reference, here is my code:

code:
video= AviSource("Session 16 Part 1.avi") +\
AviSource("Session 16 Part 2.avi") +\
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\Let's Play!\Saints Row 2\Session 16\Part 3\Session 16 Part 3.avs")

annoying=ImageSource("anditwasreallyannoying.jpg", pixel_type="RGB32", fps=video.framerate)
annoying=annoying.LanczosResize(video.width,video.height)

annoying=BlankClip(video).layer(annoying)

video= FadeOut(video.Trim(0,6677),10) +\
FadeIO(video.Trim(6678,23787),10) +\
FadeIO(video.Trim(32522,43581),10) +\
FadeIO(video.Trim(45225,48017),10) +\
FadeIn(video.Trim(50771,70528),10) +\
image.Trim(0,120) +\
video.Trim(76588,77026) +\
FadeOut(video.Trim(77078,82214),60)

return video

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Kaubocks posted:

...however when I try to open my code, I get the error "Layer: image formats don't match". I'm not sure what's causing it because I've never done something like this before. For reference, here is my code:

That means that the image formats to the clips you're trying to layer don't match. Intuitive, I know. To fix it, you'll need to figure out what video format your "video" clip is and convert your "annoying" clip to that format. You can either "return video.Info" and look at the colorspace line, or "return video", open it in VDub, and use the File Information menu option to see it.

Of course, you can also just comment out the line that has the layer command, since you never actually put that into the returned clip... unless "image" is supposed to be the same clip and you forgot to change it?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Kaubocks posted:

Additionally to the above, you could use the info filter have format info overlayed into your video (eg, return info(video)), in case the file info dialog doesn't give you the info you need.

If if isn't RGB32, you could slap in ConvertToRGB32(), or just not load the jpeg as RGB32 - you only really need to do that for a png with transparency that you want reflected in your video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Nidoking posted:

Of course, you can also just comment out the line that has the layer command, since you never actually put that into the returned clip... unless "image" is supposed to be the same clip and you forgot to change it?
I honestly don't know, I was just following the code written the guide because I don't really understand it.

EDIT: Okay, explain it to me like I've five I seriously have no idea what I'm doing.

EDIT2: All fixed! I had a friend help me out. Turns out colorspace was the issue. We turned the code into:

code:
video= AviSource("Session 16 Part 1.avi") +\
AviSource("Session 16 Part 2.avi") +\
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\Let's Play!\Saints Row 2\Session 16\Part 3\Session 16 Part 3.avs")
video= video.converttoRGB()

video= FadeOut(video.Trim(0,6677),10) +\
FadeIO(video.Trim(6678,23787),10) +\
FadeIO(video.Trim(32522,43581),10) +\
FadeIO(video.Trim(45225,48017),10) +\
FadeIn(video.Trim(50771,70528),10) +\
CreateImageClip("anditwasreallyannoying.jpg",120,video) +\
video.Trim(76588,77026) +\
FadeOut(video.Trim(77078,82214),60)

return video

function CreateImageClip(string path, int length, clip base) {
  return AudioDub( \