Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
The whole time he was sitting there he was clenching trying to force out a fart. It just ended up happening at the appropriate time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Svaha posted:

Randal: :stare: "~PHFFFAAAAaaaAARRrrrRTtTT~"

They're trying, but a few morsels of good stuff or catchphrases doesn't make up for the fact that, as far as the scenes that don't take place on a ship, this show is pretty mediocre.

Pet peeve: why the gently caress is everybody asleep in their dreams at the start of every goddamn scene? It's not dramatic, it's boring.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

pigdog posted:

They're trying, but a few morsels of good stuff or catchphrases doesn't make up for the fact that, as far as the scenes that don't take place on a ship, this show is pretty mediocre.

Pet peeve: why the gently caress is everybody asleep in their dreams at the start of every goddamn scene? It's not dramatic, it's boring.

I would kill for an app that could force other people to walk the plank on the Internet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, Flint is an rear end in a top hat. I don't think we're supposed to be rooting for him.

I think that the arc of the season was supposed to be us starting off rooting for him but recognising that he has a ruthless streak, to gradually getting less and less enthused with him (just as the quartermaster does. Who's name I now realise I don't actually know).

The problem is that the show is covering so many different groups so slowly that you stop noticing that progression.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I think that pirate captains, by trade, need to have a ruthless streak, or perhaps a set of ruthless streaks, in order to survive. Or get into the piracy trade at all.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
IRL Vane was universally hated by everyone, because he was so ruthless and crooked.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vorgen posted:

I think that pirate captains, by trade, need to have a ruthless streak, or perhaps a set of ruthless streaks, in order to survive. Or get into the piracy trade at all.

Well yeah, that's why you're not supposed to think anything of it at first. But the point is you then realise that there's something going on and Flint changes from anti-hero to possible villain.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Was that really true for the era though? As I've understood it the majority of the pirates of the era were deserters from the spanish, french and brittish navies. I have a hard time believing they would tolerate ruthlessness on their own ships when that probably was why they deserted in the first place.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I remember commenting after the pilot that one of the things I liked was that they hinted at Flint being a lot more selfish than he appears and that he isn't just some stereotypical protagonist or Pirate With a Heart of Gold, and I've really enjoyed that we get to find out more and more tidbits about him, just as the crew did.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Xoidanor posted:

Was that really true for the era though? As I've understood it the majority of the pirates of the era were deserters from the spanish, french and brittish navies. I have a hard time believing they would tolerate ruthlessness on their own ships when that probably was why they deserted in the first place.
Pirates didn't get their reputations just because rich dudes in Europe hated them. They could be pretty goddamn ruthless. Vane in particular sometimes executed prisoners whom he'd already promised to allow to join up.

As for desertions, sailors who became pirates were usually leaving behind authoritarian militaries that were pretty much dictatorships within the context of a captain and his ship. Not to mention many sailors would've been impressed into their respective navies rather than any kind of volunteer system. Flint's problem isn't that he's become too cruel or ruthless; it's that he's started thinking that he knows what's best for everybody else, typified when he compared himself to a general and a king.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AtraMorS posted:

Pirates didn't get their reputations just because rich dudes in Europe hated them. They could be pretty goddamn ruthless. Vane in particular sometimes executed prisoners whom he'd already promised to allow to join up.

I was thinking more in the line of how ruthless they were to each other rather then their would be victims. :v:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

eriktown posted:

Calling it now. After Flint and Guthrie bonded over their shared vision, he's totally going to dump Mrs. Barlowe for the younger woman who more closely buys into his deal.

I honestly thought they were going to gently caress in that last scene they had together.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Xoidanor posted:

I was thinking more in the line of how ruthless they were to each other rather then their would be victims. :v:
Fair enough I guess, but pirates didn't just solve all of their internal squabbles with measured debate and mutually respectful discussion. Besides, recent successes or failures usually speak far, far more loudly than any moral or philosophical concerns, so in that respect, pirate captains could be afforded a lot of latitude. As long as their decisions are profitting the majority of the crew, who's going to complain?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Lord Tywin posted:

I honestly thought they were going to gently caress in that last scene they had together.

You're not the only one; there was definitely a weird moment before he walked past her.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

While we're on the subject of necessary traits for a pirate captain, I refuse to believe that Captain FruitTitsPlant is as dumb as he lets on. There's got to be more to him for him to maintain position as an elected captain for any amount of time. Either that, or he represents some kind of easily manipulated compromise between more powerful factions in his crew. I'm interested to see how the writers play him out.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 10, 2014

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
The preacher was being a little sad there in the beginning. Don't you think he will start some puritan burn the witch party later and force Flint to ride to the rescue like Ivanhoe.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vorgen posted:

wesley was right

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
If Flint really is planning to use some of the Spanish gold to build defenses for the big pirate town and fight off the inevitable attack coming from England he kind of does have everyone’s best interests in mind. Of course from stuff said in this episode it seems like his primary motivation is “gently caress the English navy for kicking me out!”

I also loved how in the conversation between the quartermaster and the accountant the accountant basically said that they didn’t mind Flint killing that guy in the first episode because he was kind of an rear end in a top hat, but killing Billy (which everyone suspects he did,) went too far. Being popular seems like its really important on a pirate ship, and everyone loves Billy.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I never really followed John Silver when I was younger, has he always been this big of a douche?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I never really followed John Silver when I was younger, has he always been this big of a douche?

In Treasure Island (which chronologically is supposed to take place many years after the show), John Silver is Long John Silver of peg-leg and parrot-on-the-shoulder fame. He was apparently quite a badass IIRC, and Flint was a giant douche gently caress. But as to whether John Silver was this big a douche, I think he was feared, but not exactly well-liked when we meet him in Treasure Island.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

life is killing me posted:

In Treasure Island (which chronologically is supposed to take place many years after the show), John Silver is Long John Silver of peg-leg and parrot-on-the-shoulder fame. He was apparently quite a badass IIRC, and Flint was a giant douche gently caress. But as to whether John Silver was this big a douche, I think he was feared, but not exactly well-liked when we meet him in Treasure Island.

To add on to this he was also very conniving and cunning. Seems like an ok characterization of a young him as far as I remember. I don't think it will matter much though. This show takes place like 20 years before treasure island.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
So did they release the finale a day early? I thought Black Sails aired Saturdays, but now I'm seeing all these spoilers for it.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Yeah looks like it's out.

Holy poo poo that was good. I'll post more about it tomorrow.

CODChimera fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 15, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah, that was awesome.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Oh well shame it's over. Got to wait another year for more:(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yup certainly not even risking spoiling that for those of you who haven't seen it yet. What a ride. :stare:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

:suspense:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That owned so much.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
The :asoiaf: moment of the episode: http://i.imgur.com/NOi2RQI.png

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
That was one hell of a way to end the season, I can't wait for the next one.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The spanish accents were terrible , Silver speaking should have hosed all up but who cares ship on ship action was awesome.When the spanish man-o-war prepares to shoot the broadside my balls crawled up my torso

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Jesus gently caress that finale. :suspense:

Although I'm pretty drat upset that Billy and Gates - the best characters n the show - are now both dead :fuckoff:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Jesus gently caress that finale. :suspense:

Although I'm pretty drat upset that Billy and Gates - the best characters n the show - are now both dead :fuckoff:

For some reason i'm still not convinced Billy is dead even though that's a pretty big stretch at this point.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Photex posted:

For some reason i'm still not convinced Billy is dead even though that's a pretty big stretch at this point.

The reason being that you've read Treasure Island?

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Flatscan posted:

The reason being that you've read Treasure Island?

That combined with no footage of said death makes it one of 2 options: he's not dead, or that's a very poor choice in ways to kill him since people will think he's not dead.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Scissorfighter posted:

That combined with no footage of said death makes it one of 2 options: he's not dead, or that's a very poor choice in ways to kill him since people will think he's not dead.

Wasn't he also credited with being in one more episode this season than he was actually in, and people were expecting him to turn up in this last one somehow?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I was thinking he was the out of focus person that Flint saw when he woke up on the island, but then it turned out to be glasses man.

the fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 15, 2014

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

the posted:

I was thinking he was the out of focus person that Flint saw when he woke up on the island, but then it turned out to be glasses man.

Yeah I thought the exact same thing. Thought it was gonna be a holy gently caress moment where Billy has somehow washed up on the same island and is now in charge.

Turkina_Prime fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 15, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, guys, I suppose it's partly my fault for insisting on reading this thread, but can we try to keep the spoilers masked until it airs on TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I don't know why, but after Dufresne went all crazy on that dude's neck, I just immediately stopped liking him. At the time, I was super hype about it, because I did NOT see that coming, and was looking forward to him becoming a more badass character gradually. Instead, he kills one dude and turns into a macho confident douchebag character who is completely unconvincing given the instant turnaround time. The finale kind of exacerbated that, because I was so conflicted about who to back. Flint was a sack of poo poo for what he did to Gates, but still somewhat sympathetic because he really was sorry and has, in his mind at least, been doing things for the crew's sake. But Dufresne is actually more concerned about the crew's welfare and obeying the pirate code, and yet he was going to be a sack of poo poo by (I assume) leaving The Ranger to deal with those Spanish pirates alone. In fact, the number of characters there are to actually root for has been dwindling rapidly, because everyone is devolving into a 'gently caress you, got mine' sack of poo poo. Gates and Billy were the most sympathetic of the entire cast, I think, with only a few hanging with them in the genuine, 'I want good things for this character' sense.

Pretty great finale, though, all things considered. Can't wait for season two! Poor Jack, though.

• Locked thread