Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Yodzilla posted:

I liked No Time to Explain. :saddowns:
Also, that was like... years ago. They've done a ton of stuff since then. And I kind of liked it too, it was kinda neat for the time. :(

Regardless. It's an ENTIRE GAME themed around various instances of "he got me wit' his wire 'ting!". That... it kind of skips my filters and forces me to open my wallet. Come on, just:

This is

YES

EDIT: The 'indie multiplayer" thing is rough, this is true. I want to believe, I guess.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm still not entirely sure how that's going to work as a fun, playable game though. Also, uh, indie multiplayer games don't usually fare too well community wise.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:gizz:

This tickles the go-fast go-anywhere centres of my brain. But then it's an indie multiplayer-only game. :flaccid:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Also, that was like... years ago. They've done a ton of stuff since then. And I kind of liked it too, it was kinda neat for the time. :(

Regardless. It's an ENTIRE GAME themed around various instances of "he got me wit' his wire 'ting!". That... it kind of skips my filters and forces me to open my wallet. Come on, just:

This is

YES

EDIT: The 'indie multiplayer" thing is rough, this is true. I want to believe, I guess.

It looks so fun but I know it's going to die in a week even if it comes out and is good. :smith:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Gifs are an invaluable marketing tool.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

It looks so fun but I know it's going to die in a week even if it comes out and is good. :smith:
Maybe they'll do a stretch goal for "decent single player AI", and thereby sidestep the paradox that you need a robust multi-player community to attract people to the game, but no one wants to buy a game without an existing multi-player community...

Rinkles posted:

Gifs are an invaluable marketing tool.
That is absolutely, un-sarcastically the truth. A Kickstarter with a few GIFs (that better load quickly) makes me want to keep scrolling to see the next one. It's a pitch video that I don't need to commit five minutes to watch.

I really hope they do well. The cartoon-y art style is great, and this has the potential to be a great "GO FAST! GO FASTER!" type of game.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Shalinor posted:

This is

YES

Those are pretty pictures and all but well, how would it play? Part of my concern is that for this game to work it'd live and die by its controls. They put front and center "From the makers of No Time to Explain!" which for me really failed due to the controls, I never got past that awful mole boss, but I wasn't really having fun anytime before that. The other concerns are if you strip the fancy angles away and the cinematic show off, then what actually is going on. Which has some open arena combat. Now if I need to hop onto the roof of plane to kill persuers, then should they not have already killed my plane? Assume they do, I then manage to jump to their plane. This other player do they automatically lose their plane? Or is there a quicktime? Or does the enemy just hang on my roof waiting for a friendly or nearby target, which could take who knows how long, but a bad idea is to force a player to rely on a stranger teammate for anything. From reading the KS pitch it will rely on tons of planes all in close proximity. This will not be the case for two reasons, one is Indie Multiplayer problem, the other is that if I have a fast ship the LAST thing I EVER want to do is be right in the middle of chaos. From reading the pitch it seems they took that initial idea spark of "Just Cause 2 and Battlefield together!" and well just stopped there. That's it. Given the time of inception around 2012 and now, you'd think there'd be a bit more they could put down on paper, or even have a demo, however simple, of some kind.

If we want crowd funding to exist as a viable route towards game production then frankly there needs to be more vetting and critical reflection on Kickstarters that are promoted. Because sooner or later donators will sour on the whole premise if they keep throwing money at games that look great in their mockup gifs, but ultimately fail to deliver, and I think it could be argued sooner, but I am just pulling that out of thin air. I'd love to see actual data regardless of the conclusions.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

JossiRossi posted:

you'd think there'd be a bit more they could put down on paper, or even have a demo, however simple, of some kind.
Agreed. To me, this looks like one of those Kickstarters with an intentionally vague/pretty launch and a bunch of staged reveals set to hit later in the campaign. I'm into it now, but it's going to live or die by how much they show, and how quickly.

If they can produce a free online demo that even remotely delivers on being fun, I think they've got it in the bag... but the video looks entirely canned to me, so who knows. Maybe the entire pitch is a fabrication, and this is all they have, which'd be disappointing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So Anita Sarkeesian stole a female game developer's fanart to use as part of her kickstarter campaign. She then has refused to engage with the artist to remove the image from promotional materials which the artist has requested she do. Not to mention the 150k in funds Anita made in part off of material that wasn't hers.

Oh and Anita is refusing to comply with the artists requests claiming that tropes v women is a nonprofit, while also refusing to provide any proof whatsoever to that claim and at this point refusing to engage with the artist in any form.

There's so many layers of hypocrisy and irony here it's difficult to figure out where to start, so you mine as well just read for yourself.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

No one cares. Please don't poo poo up the thread with more bullshit about Tropes vs Women in Video Games.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Instead of talking more about TvW I'm going to continue talking about Dysfunctional Systems. With $9000 (Canadian) still to raise and 8 days to go they're on track to fund but it's going to be close. If the typical final-48-hour rush is a good one we might actually see a stretch goal!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fedule posted:

Instead of talking more about TvW I'm going to continue talking about Dysfunctional Systems. With $9000 (Canadian) still to raise and 8 days to go they're on track to fund but it's going to be close. If the typical final-48-hour rush is a good one we might actually see a stretch goal!

I want to fund this game, but my card keeps getting declined :( I have no idea why.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CommissarMega posted:

I want to fund this game, but my card keeps getting declined :( I have no idea why.

Dysfunctional (payment) Systems

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Occupation posted:

:qq:Anita Sarkeesian:qq:

Go away.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

“Oh, yeah, we really want your stuff. But, ah, we just… don’t think it’s worth anything. Oh, but it’s worth enough to be used by us. Just… it’s not worth… you know, money.”

Kind of funny that the creator of Dresden Codak is supporting that self-entitlement, given that he raised a very successful Kickstarter to finance his comic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nobody cares about the stupid reddit bullshit, please don't poo poo up the thread with it.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Although I think the legal aspect is kind of interesting (whether it's okay for her to use that image) this probably isn't really the right thread for it. Also, just because something is discussed on reddit doesn't mean it isn't allowed to be discussed here, that's really dumb.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orzo posted:

Although I think the legal aspect is kind of interesting (whether it's okay for her to use that image) this probably isn't really the right thread for it. Also, just because something is discussed on reddit doesn't mean it isn't allowed to be discussed here, that's really dumb.

He was using 'reddit' derogatorily to denote MRA and other petty bullshit, not as a firm exclusionary.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orzo posted:

The legal aspect has been discussed elsewhere in other terms. If you like I'll find some and PM them to you to avoid filling up the thread with the discussion. There's a lot going on here and the point of view presented in the original post is, intentionally or no, regurgitating crappy stuff from a specific part of Reddit. Considering the subject matter and issues involved, it really feels like putting it into the Kickstarter Gaming thread would be a good way to make the thread devolve into pretty crappy arguments. It's a complex issue and emotions are incredibly high on all sides of the argument which rarely leads to something that doesn't devour a thread whole.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick or anything like that and if I misunderstood the original post then I apologize, but there's basically no way it can end well in this thread and at least a large part of that is due to the actual legal issues involved being filtered through a lot of the actual assholes on Reddit.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 16, 2014

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Less butthurt. more cool games.
Proven Lands looks kickass.
Don't Starve!
In!
SPAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That Planets3 Kickstarter copied a tree design from a big artist friend of mine, pretty blatantly. It happens.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The art style reminds me of Cortex Command. Hopefully it doesn't have the same development lifespan. :ohdear:

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

mutata posted:

That Planets3 Kickstarter copied a tree design from a big artist friend of mine, pretty blatantly. It happens.

Nothing is make from or in vacuum and everything everyone make is related to other stuff other people make before.
It would be helpful if you post the image your friend draw and Planets3 implementation of the supposedly the same thing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sethmaster posted:

Nothing is make from or in vacuum and everything everyone make is related to other stuff other people make before.
It would be helpful if you post the image your friend draw and Planets3 implementation of the supposedly the same thing.

http://www.planets-cube.com/img/website/FR/ConceptTree_high_rez.jpg

versus

http://cghub.com/images/view/29465/

And, yeah yeah, I get the "everything is a remix" concept, but it's a spectrum between "cool homage to" and "obvious ripoff of", and giving credit to the original is ALWAYS worth it. In the case of your tree design, there, that obviously falls somewhere on that spectrum in the middle. The concept art is actually technically owned by Disney.

Whatever, my original point is that it happens and oh well, artists can take action and let the issue rule their lives for a time of just point out the silliness/shitiness of it and move on. There's all kinds of legal things that can be done and plenty of precedents but sometimes just pointing and laughing and moving on is the way to go.

Edit: vvv Disney technically owns that one too, so HANDS OFF!

mutata fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 16, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

mutata posted:

versus

And, yeah yeah, I get the "everything is a remix" concept, but it's a spectrum between "cool homage to" and "obvious ripoff of", and giving credit to the original is ALWAYS worth it. In the case of your tree design, there, that obviously falls somewhere on that spectrum in the middle. The concept art is actually technically owned by Disney.

Whatever, my original point is that it happens and oh well, artists can take action and let the issue rule their lives for a time of just point out the silliness/shitiness of it and move on.

I see they didn't copy the dick tree your friend put in behind the big tree though :v:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mutata posted:

versus

Whatever, my original point is that it happens and oh well, artists can take action and let the issue rule their lives for a time of just point out the silliness/shitiness of it and move on. There's all kinds of legal things that can be done and plenty of precedents but sometimes just pointing and laughing and moving on is the way to go.

Edit: vvv Disney technically owns that one too, so HANDS OFF!

Shows a lack of creativity on the part of whoever created the Planets3 concept image.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

The legal aspect has been discussed elsewhere in other terms. If you like I'll find some and PM them to you to avoid filling up the thread with the discussion. There's a lot going on here and the point of view presented in the original post is, intentionally or no, regurgitating crappy stuff from a specific part of Reddit. Considering the subject matter and issues involved, it really feels like putting it into the Kickstarter Gaming thread would be a good way to make the thread devolve into pretty crappy arguments. It's a complex issue and emotions are incredibly high on all sides of the argument which rarely leads to something that doesn't devour a thread whole.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick or anything like that and if I misunderstood the original post then I apologize, but there's basically no way it can end well in this thread and at least a large part of that is due to the actual legal issues involved being filtered through a lot of the actual assholes on Reddit.

I got aware of this through reddit's frontpage yeah but haven't read a single opinion On the actual site, for obvious reasons. The links I linked are literally the only things I have read on the subject.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
My brother-in-law has a game up on Kickstarter called Toby's Island.

Kotaku did a writeup on it called "A Very Lonely Cross Between Pokémon and Harvest Moon", describing is 'a PC RPG where you try to survive by farming, crafting, raising monsters and building a settlement all by yourself on a dangerous, untamed island.'

At this stage, it looks like they might fall in short of their CAD$20,000 goal, but I'd appreciate it if some people had a look at it even if it was just to give some feedback.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

KuroKisei posted:

My brother-in-law has a game up on Kickstarter called Toby's Island.

Kotaku did a writeup on it called "A Very Lonely Cross Between Pokémon and Harvest Moon", describing is 'a PC RPG where you try to survive by farming, crafting, raising monsters and building a settlement all by yourself on a dangerous, untamed island.'

At this stage, it looks like they might fall in short of their CAD$20,000 goal, but I'd appreciate it if some people had a look at it even if it was just to give some feedback.
Here's my thought about it, no need to take these personally.

Firstly for the good thing, the trailer start up nice which is good.
The trailer music is also pretty good.
I think the pitch video is well done.

Now, the criticism,
The combat feel bare bones with no juice at all.
While there is a tech demo video, there is no demo to people to play with.
Most importantly,
the game art style feel too "deviantart-like" for some people which may turn people off.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So today I ran across a game that was Indiegogo'd a year back called Factorio. After playing the demo and reading their forum to check out what mods folks are making, it was an insta-buy for me at $13. To put it simply, it's like The Incredible Machine combined with Spacechem with a touch of Tower Defense/Survival Mode ala Starforge. You start small, gather resources, then build a factory system to produce the things you used to gather and craft, then build meta-facilities to enhance your factories, and so on and so forth. There's also a research tree, combat, and vehicles. Also programmable trains.

The trailer is old and all the art assets have been updated so it doesn't look like complete rear end but to get the basic gist, here's their trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1qOCAM9Syw

The game has some ridiculous scale to it, too. Technically, the world can go on forever similar to Minecraft, though limits and map making (and modding) are available options. Here's a couple shots I took to show the current art and scale and that you can zoom way out.

This is just a simple factory. I'm only 1/10th of the way through the tech tree at this point. A more complex late-game setup would look something like this:

So I'm spending hours just playing the campaign and freeroam when I start to wonder if there's a thread on SA about it. Not only did the guy making the game register here just to shill it, he got probated for linking to his Indiegogo here with a rather low-content post. Poor guy unfortunately didn't fully understand the rules (or how scammy Indiegogo can be) but that shouldn't detract from the fact that this game is scratching an itch that only OpenTTD had been scratching for a long time. It also helps that Factorio includes programmable rail systems similar to OpenTTD.

They're still accepting money to get into their alpha, which is supposed to have multiplayer sometime in the next few months. Though they've been developing for a year now, it feels like a mostly-finished product. Nab their demo here: https://www.factorio.com/download It stops JUST short of getting your first vehicle.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 16, 2014

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Not only did the guy making the game register here just to shill it, he got banned for linking to his Indiegogo here

Wait a second, linking a indiegogo will get you banned? I never heard of this

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sethmaster posted:

Wait a second, linking a indiegogo will get you banned? I never heard of this
Oh, it was a probation, not a ban. My bad. Editing my post to reflect that fact.
But yeah, looking at the OP, Indiegogo seems entirely too scammy and having a reg date of 1 hour, linking to it, and saying "hope you like it" is kinda low-content-post enough for a probation.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
How did this happen.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Someone asked mom.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, whoever chucked in the $500 didn't even take a tier reward. I really don't get why people go through kickstarter just to mooch the money off friends and family though, that like - 8% already gone to kickstarter and amazon?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

Someone asked mom.

Before reading

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah, whoever chucked in the $500 didn't even take a tier reward. I really don't get why people go through kickstarter just to mooch the money off friends and family though, that like - 8% already gone to kickstarter and amazon?

I had assumed that someone asked mom to give them $500 to back this kickstarter, not for $500 to back their own kickstarter. Not sure which is funnier.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

DaveKap posted:

They're still accepting money to get into their alpha, which is supposed to have multiplayer sometime in the next few months. Though they've been developing for a year now, it feels like a mostly-finished product. Nab their demo here: https://www.factorio.com/download It stops JUST short of getting your first vehicle.

I tried this out and I really enjoy it, thanks! Nice to see some indiegogo projects doing well, too.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/714585684/inexistence-a-brand-new-retro-rpg-platformer
Was hoping this goes somewhere, looks fun and I love the genre in general.
30k is a lot of money though, even if it looks pretty darn good.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

This is without an exaggeration one of the worst anime-inspired "art" I've seen. Also, :laffo: the race names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fedule posted:

They've put up the first episode on sale for 0,99$ on Steam and their website for those who aren't sure if they'll like it.