Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What race should goons play for PvP shenanigans?
This poll is closed.
Furry Dominion 352 27.24%
Orc Covenant 464 35.91%
Lizard Pact 476 36.84%
Total: 1292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

comatose posted:

You get poo poo all experience from killing things so theres really no point in grinding mobs. The bulk of your xp comes from completing quests.

I do agree that it really sucks going into an overcrowded public dungeon where all you do is just run through, get your quest objective then run out.

Really? I found grinding mobs to be multiple times faster than questing.

The amount of running for 15-25 mob kills worth of exp wasn't even close to worth it.

It should also be noted I'd spend half an hour doing multiple stages of a quest and have the final part not completable due to bugs. So quests were a really risky time investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe because of your low level? I dunno. I found that the higher my level the less noticeable the mob kill xp was whereas handing in a quest would give me a big chunk of xp fairly consistently.

I /bugged a whole heap of broken quests I got this weekend going through daggerfall areas even though I'm sure they already know about them.

Shags
Jun 16, 2010

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...

Rancid Liverwurst posted:

87% of the quests in the Daggerfall area are bugged to poo poo. This doesn't bode well for the launch in two weeks.

Hopefully they have them fixed otherwise they'll have some raging customers.

Shags
Jun 16, 2010

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...
Ok I did it, I signed up. I know I'm going to rage about the Lag but I did enjoy what I could play. The quests weren't so bad. Anything planned for Goon guilds yet?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shags posted:

Ok I did it, I signed up. I know I'm going to rage about the Lag but I did enjoy what I could play. The quests weren't so bad. Anything planned for Goon guilds yet?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I now know how Reggin feels.

:siren: Goon Guild(s) :siren:

The goon guild to end goon guilds will be Daggerfall Covenant. Since you can be in the same guild regardless of faction, that can serve as our only guild. Any Aldmeri or Ebonheart alts can join that guild and still talk to goons, interface with the bank and all that jazz. PvP poo poo will happen on Daggerfall, but you can make as many AD/EP alts as you want and still talk to goons.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 17, 2014

Rancid Liverwurst
Jan 26, 2009

comatose posted:

You get poo poo all experience from killing things so theres really no point in grinding mobs. The bulk of your xp comes from completing quests.

I found exploration is a good way to get XP also. This weekend's test I started fresh and leveled up faster than the previous tests, even with the bugged quests in Daggerfall. I started from Coldharbor and by the time I goto Glenumbra I was almost level 8.

It could be I'm getting used to the game, or having read up alittle or a combo of both. I added a skill point in each one of the 3 class skills, and had that skill on my bar even if I didn't use it. Then added points in two different weapon skills and keep both on the bar. Both leveled up even though I only used one. I only added skill points into the basics I needed.

I'm not sure if auto leveling the skills up add to overall XP, but it seemed to. I also equipped a few of each armor type and leveled up those skills. Also crafted my armor after level 6, 8 and 10. It didn't seem like gaining crafting levels added to overall XP, but again I could be wrong.

In the end, I think after trying out various class skills, races and weapon types I've found something that worked well for me. I'll do this same thing at launch and it should get me to level 15 with a good mix of leveled up skills.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I'm really torn because I can at most see myself dabbling in this game occasionally, probably months or years down the road when it's free, but I also feel pretty strongly about locking down some character names I like, and that would mean pre-ordering and getting in the head start thing. I don't really feel like buying the game right now, but I also feel like it's now or never.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Unless you want some super terrible game of thrones name or some other awful popular fantasy name you should be ok since the naming restrictions are pretty relaxed. So you could have Darth Lannister if you wanted! Or if someones taken that, just chuck in some dashes and apostrophes when you do decide to buy it, whatevs.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I actually found that kill experience varied depending on the mob, and not so much it's level. A level 12 werewolf in Glenumbra would give me 82-88 xp per kill, but a level 12 Bloodthorn cultist would only do 50-60 xp per kill. FTC is a handy mod for that, if nothing else. I really want more advanced information about your various derived stats and that honestly shouldn't be something I have to install a mod to get. Numbers without context are a pet peeve of mine, especially in MMOs. There's no good telling me I have X in a stat if I don't know what effect that has.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Orv posted:

The goon guild to end goon guilds will be Daggerfall Covenant. Since you can be in the same guild regardless of faction, that can serve as our only guild. Any Aldmeri or Ebonheart alts can join that guild and still talk to goons, interface with the bank and all that jazz. PvP poo poo will happen on Daggerfall, but you can make as many AD/EP alts as you want and still talk to goons.

I take it this will be on the US megaserver?

Orv
May 4, 2011

A Tartan Tory posted:

I take it this will be on the US megaserver?

:doh: Yes, my bad.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone done an :effort: post on leveling crafting yet ?

I've collected some information if y'all want it.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

Just...wow. How he's able to finger those strings with those claws for fingernails I don't know.

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012

Haven't found anything in the last pages so here goes.
This is all based on Clothier/Blacksmith, and is still pretty raw. I did not count the materials you get back from deconstructing (seems highly random) nor the effect of crafting with aspects (if any), but the basic principle should hold.

From what I've seen, crafting and deconstruct xp is only based on the produced item level.
So, outside of crafting your own equipment:
- Craft the maximum level object for your material tier (you can craft above your character level)
- Craft the object using the least amount of raw material
e: As mentioned below, deconstructing the stuff you crafted gives less xp than deconstructing loot and gear crafter by others.

It changes the amount of raw material needed quite a bit.
From memory, upping clothier from level 3 to 4 can take roughly 300 jute with lvl 12 belts, or 600 with lvl 1 belts.
Skyrim's blacksmiths will feel at home, crafting a poo poo-ton of iron daggers.

For a crafting alt, maxing a crafting branch takes 21 skill points.
You can take that down to 18 if you don't take the shiny material skill, which I don't find very useful (especially if your main does the collecting).
For a maxed out crafting alt, counting quests and shards, we're talking lvl 10-12, without any weapon/class skill.

That's all for now :tipshat:

Llyd fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 17, 2014

Cnaiur
Jan 14, 2013
Soooo, will EU Goons be playing on the US megaserver as well, or will there be a spinoff on the latency heaven that the EU server will be?

Sureal
Nov 12, 2010

Llyd posted:

Haven't found anything in the last pages so here goes.
This is all based on Clothier/Blacksmith, and is still pretty raw. I did not count the materials you get back from deconstructing (seems highly random) nor the effect of crafting with aspects (if any), but the basic principle should hold.

From what I've seen, crafting and deconstruct xp is only based on the produced item level.
So, outside of crafting your own equipment:
- Craft the maximum level object for your material tier (you can craft above your character level)
- Craft the object using the least amount of raw material

It changes the amount of raw material needed quite a bit.
From memory, upping clothier from level 3 to 4 can take roughly 300 jute with lvl 12 belts, or 600 with lvl 1 belts.
Skyrim's blacksmiths will feel at home, crafting a poo poo-ton of iron daggers.

For a crafting alt, maxing a crafting branch takes 21 skill points.
You can take that down to 18 if you don't take the shiny material skill, which I don't find very useful (especially if your main does the collecting).
For a maxed out crafting alt, counting quests and shards, we're talking lvl 10-12, without any weapon/class skill.

That's all for now :tipshat:

What I've heard/read is that if you deconstruct your own crafted gear there is an xp penalty, I have not heard confirmation of or if that is tied to your character or account.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Llyd posted:

crafting
Deconstructing items that other people craft or world drops gives significantly more skill gain than deconstructing items you craft.
If 2 players really wanted to min/max they would mail each other their crafted junk for the other to deconstruct.

e;fb sorta. I can confirm it. Its pretty easy to see the difference between drops and self crafted stuff, and I tested one item crafted by another person and it gave similar exp to a drop.

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012

Sureal posted:

What I've heard/read is that if you deconstruct your own crafted gear there is an xp penalty, I have not heard confirmation of or if that is tied to your character or account.

I haven't checked deconstructing you own craft vs loot, but the former does not give a lot xp compared to crafting the gear.
Something like ~240 for crafting gives ~60 for deconstruct.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

comatose posted:

Unless you want some super terrible game of thrones name or some other awful popular fantasy name you should be ok since the naming restrictions are pretty relaxed. So you could have Darth Lannister if you wanted! Or if someones taken that, just chuck in some dashes and apostrophes when you do decide to buy it, whatevs.

I have a longstanding fantasy RPG tradition of using an extremely common "normal" first name, and with millions of people sharing one megaserver I'd be racing the clock even more than usual on that one. For starters I'd be up against countless dudes actually named that. In the past, if it wasn't the first guy I made on pre-launch day, I was out of luck. Sure I could just cheat it later by giving him a last name, but it would eat at me a little. The simple unadorned plainness of the name is kinda the point, you know?

In general I feel like the short, catchy names are gonna go FAST in this game, even just from people putting random letters together. It's that million monkeys on a million keyboards scenario. And they'll all be used up by assholes who will quit after the free month. Myself potentially among them! I'm sure some of the more fanciful ones I like will still be up for grabs in the future, but losing my #1 favorite would take the wind out of my sails. Enough that it's a factor in my decision.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man that 3 way gangbang at Roebec?? was something to behold last night.

Watching Red and Yellow fight over who got the take over our keep for 2 hours was glorious. Hearing Extra squeal with glee was even better :shobon:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I only just found out buying from GMG (with the 20% coupon) does give you the explorer pack, which allows you to create a character of any race within any alliance (except for Imperial, off course).

For some reason I always thought this was reserved for Imperial Edition.

I'm happy now. No matter what Faction my Euro Pubbie friends choose I can play with the race I want to play.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Cnaiur posted:

Soooo, will EU Goons be playing on the US megaserver as well, or will there be a spinoff on the latency heaven that the EU server will be?
I'm planning on going to the EU server - apart from latency it sucks to always play during off-times due to timezone differences (especially once the inital rush wore off).

Sureal
Nov 12, 2010

Rancid Liverwurst posted:

...This weekend's test I started fresh and leveled up faster than the previous tests, even with the bugged quests in Daggerfall. I started from Coldharbor and by the time I goto Glenumbra I was almost level 8...

It could be I'm getting used to the game, or having read up alittle or a combo of both. I added a skill point in each one of the 3 class skills, and had that skill on my bar even if I didn't use it.

I'm not sure if auto leveling the skills up add to overall XP, but it seemed to. I also equipped a few of each armor type and leveled up those skills.

I did exactly this in this beta and was able to get to level 20. I quested to level 15 before entering Cyrodiil. I skipped the starter island and found myself constantly about 3 levels below the current content I was working on, which made it slightly more of challenge. I did not go out of my way to explore or search for quests but grabbed every one I saw on my radar/compass. I only encountered one bugged quest last night which a relog didn't address.

Adding one point in each class tree and keeping abilities on the bar did seem to work very well. The multi-armor type trick also worked but becomes less viable as you start to invest in one of the trees and the benefits are based on number of pieces equipped.

Barring some gimmick or exploit it would appear that questing is a pretty decent way to level. I don't consider my play time this weekend as poopsocking and didn't feel like I was pushing myself to level, just some decent playing time Friday night and Saturday morning.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I have a longstanding fantasy RPG tradition of using an extremely common "normal" first name, and with millions of people sharing one megaserver I'd be racing the clock even more than usual on that one. For starters I'd be up against countless dudes actually named that. In the past, if it wasn't the first guy I made on pre-launch day, I was out of luck. Sure I could just cheat it later by giving him a last name, but it would eat at me a little. The simple unadorned plainness of the name is kinda the point, you know?

In general I feel like the short, catchy names are gonna go FAST in this game, even just from people putting random letters together. It's that million monkeys on a million keyboards scenario. And they'll all be used up by assholes who will quit after the free month. Myself potentially among them! I'm sure some of the more fanciful ones I like will still be up for grabs in the future, but losing my #1 favorite would take the wind out of my sails. Enough that it's a factor in my decision.

You can always ask some early access goon to "hold" it for you. He creates a character by that name and then sits on it until you buy the game. Then he deletes it just before you create yours.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
code:
CE1WXQ-2PQZSH-UDJEQS
That code should get you $12 off TESO on GMG. Worth a shot if you're on the fence. You shouldn't be, this game's PVP owns hard. Do it!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Debating on Imperial or standard. The cheap horse is neat, although they didn't seem terribly fast to me. I don't really care about the Imperial race to start, but I might later.

Having an extra 2 days early would be nice, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

Debating on Imperial or standard. The cheap horse is neat, although they didn't seem terribly fast to me. I don't really care about the Imperial race to start, but I might later.

Having an extra 2 days early would be nice, though.

Do the math on Standard from ZOS versus Imperial from GMG. The Bretons and Imperials share the same model with slightly different skin tones and body morphics. If you buy either version from ZOS you get 5 days headstart, so if that's your main concern you should look into that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

ZOS = Zenimax Online Store?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZOS = Zenimax Online Store?

Zenimax Online Studios, but yeah. The versions found here.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The coupon at GMG didn't work, but honestly I don't I can justify the extra few bucks for a cheap horse.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

The cheap horse is neat, although they didn't seem terribly fast to me.

Your horse gets faster if you feed it or something.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I really enjoyed my time playing the beta. Definitely planning on pre-ordering now after getting a chance to taste PVP once I hit level 10.

I think on release I'll probably level to 15 in PVE before starting PVP. Having only one weapon equipped made it a bit tricky.

I was asking this on mumble a bit but can anyone help me logic through the best class to play Nightblade with that isn't a furry? It seems like Redguard is the way to go for Stamina if I am planning on doing primarily 2H Sword + Bow. but I'm open to recommendations. I'd like to at least hit 15 or 20 before having to worry about a respec.

Thanks to everyone who answered my dumb quests in guild chat and on mumble. Definitely made the experience better.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Batham posted:

Yeah I did that once, it's a very slow process. 250G per apple and like 36 hours in between/

I mean eventually it'll be nice, but at that point, I can probably afford a horse on my meager adventurer's salary, right?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Any chance this game is gonna get the pre-order treatment on Steam?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

MMD3 posted:

I was asking this on mumble a bit but can anyone help me logic through the best class to play Nightblade with that isn't a furry? It seems like Redguard is the way to go for Stamina if I am planning on doing primarily 2H Sword + Bow. but I'm open to recommendations. I'd like to at least hit 15 or 20 before having to worry about a respec.

The Redguard stamina on melee attacks passive is quite bad. You still get +9% Stamina regen in combat and +10% total stamina, though. I'd sooner pick Imperial, but since I'm not getting the Imperial Edition, Orsimer would be my first choice if I wanted some kind of stamina bonus.

Ultimately though, your class skills still use and benefit from Magicka, so any race with bonuses towards that is a fine choice. Breton for instance is my go-to race for any class or build, but that's mainly because I'm a big fan of the race, thematically speaking.

Scyantific posted:

Absolutely none.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Orv posted:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I now know how Reggin feels.

If you want people to stop asking this every page, you should probably add it to the OP, OP :ssh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

MMD3 posted:

If you want to play a Nightblade for rogue style burst, you have two options. You can play the Nightblade, and have a burst ready every 20 seconds or so (one rotation completely empties your mana and most of your stamina) or you can play a Sorcerer and be able to explode three or four people in a row. As for optimal racials for Nightblade you're not going to find anything wrong with any of the races. Getting down to min-max, your armor is going to be more important, considering that most of the "Stamina Regeneration X%" passives require you to be in combat, and you want to be in combat as little as possible as a Nightblade. If you really want to min-max race, there's nothing ostensibly wrong with being a cat, but I may be more prone to kick you from the guild for no reason. :v:

Scyantific posted:

Chances of it being on Steam until it goes F2P are basically non-existent and after that remain extremely slim.

Pasco posted:

If you want people to stop asking this every page, you should probably add it to the OP, OP :ssh:

Look at the top of the OP. :ssh:

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

The coupon at GMG didn't work, but honestly I don't I can justify the extra few bucks for a cheap horse.

There are other coupons. Try any of these:

AW3PEM-PTOQ6J-Z77C67
CE1WXQ-2PQZSH-UDJEQS
H799RH-7L8NPP-RCKKT8
USMHKP-MJME2L-71VXWX
S8JTAB-9MR960-R9PKJR

There's also a 20% off coupon for Gamefly, but I don't have it on hand. I know for certain it works, as a friend bought the game using it yesterday. The second to last one above worked for me but I think it's restricted to non-NA regions.

Alternatively, buy the game from Nuuvem. Either way you can get the Imperial Edition for roughly $64 and the standard edition for $46-51.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...

Batham posted:

I don't keep the mount in a PokeBall like other MMOs!? Neat, though, and I'm glad I have a notion of how to save up gold in ESO because of the beta.

Okay, end of beta report: only reached level 8, mostly because I was taking my time, crafting a lot of stuff, and getting killed again and again on 2 separate quests. One was in a place called Cheesemonger's Hollow and Sheogorath was messing with me!

Planning on having 2 or 3 characters at launch, but an Argonian Nightblade will still be my primary as it was in the beta.

Scyantific posted:

Now that I think of it, it's probably best this game has it's own launcher. Thinking back to Star Wars:TOR, that would suck if it needed Origin to launch.

• Locked thread