Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

That's an actual translation of what the girl is saying, yes. She's saying "do you know how I make myself cry for people" because she is faking crying. I mean you could rephrase it as like "Do you know how I make myself cry for people?" but it isn't necessary and in context is a correctly translated line.

Literal translations are not good translations. There are better ways to say that in a less... awkward sounding manner, I'm sure. That was my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Yeah, she's a former child actor, crying on demand is what she does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Literal translations are not good translations. There are better ways to say that in a less... awkward sounding manner, I'm sure. That was my point.

No, this isn't a case of being "literally correct." It is a 100% correct translation. She is a former child actor. People pay her to cry. She literally, in-game, cries for people. This also is neither the beginning nor the end of the dialogue but two snippets taken from the middle of a conversation.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

No, this isn't a case of being "literally correct." It is a 100% correct translation. She is a former child actor. People pay her to cry. She literally, in-game, cries for people.

I take it back, I underestimated the game's stupidness then. :downs:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I think it's worth mentioning that Lightning is just flat-out explicitly a dick in LR 90% of the time. Not even a subtle one.

There's an entire mission line based around a dude who lost his girlfriend and who is mourning her and wants someone to watch fireworks with. Lightning agrees but only on the condition she gets a free steak. Throughout the rest of the mission she continues to remind him that she's only there for the steak when he tries to monologue about his sadness.

This owns.

It almost sounds like a parody of itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

This owns.

It almost sounds like a parody of itself.

I can not tell you when LR is trying to be serious and when it is trying to be a parody. Half the time it is impossible to tell. You'll do a sidequest and then Lightning will complain to Hope over radio how stupid and inane it is. It's clearly trying to be funny sometimes and serious sometimes and it is so stupid I can't tell you which is which for the most part.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SO I hear FFX/X-2 HD is coming out this week? Is there a leaked trophy list? Please say there isn't one for winning the Chocobo Race :ohdear:

Or completing the sphere grid and maxing stats, that would just be ridiculous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

SO I hear FFX/X-2 HD is coming out this week? Is there a leaked trophy list? Please say there isn't one for winning the Chocobo Race :ohdear:

Or completing the sphere grid and maxing stats, that would just be ridiculous.

The Trophy List is out. You are going to be very disappointed.

Perfect Sphere Master – Complete the Sphere Grids for all Main Characters

Weapon Master – Obtain all Celestial Weapons

Chocobo Master – Get 5 treasure chest during the Chocobo Race at Remiem Temple and win the race

Chocobo Rider – Win a race with a catcher chocobo with a total time of 0:0:0

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Krad posted:

"Do you know how I cry for people?" That seriously sounds okay to you guys? Okay. :geno:

Remember that you're in a JRPG thread before you judge on what sounds stupid. Stupid and outlandish poo poo is the name of the game. The sequence basically boils down to:

1st meeting:
Girl: Want to see me cry? It'll only cost you 10 gil!
Lightning: :what: Why would I want that?
Girl: It'll totally be worth it, trust me!
Lightning: Fine, what the hell. Cry for me, kid.
Girl: Hmm, no, can't do it. Not for you. Sorry.
Lightning: But you already took my money.
Girl: It's ok, I'll tell you a story instead. [Monologues about her business]

2nd meeting:
Girl: Want to see me cry, it's only 50 gil!
Lightning: Get lost, you already pulled this con once.
Girl: No really, it'll be worth it this time! I swear!
Lightning: Fine, whatever. Do it.
Girl: Ohh, gee, still can't do it. Not for you.
Lightning: You little poo poo.
Girl: How about I tell you how I cry for people? What I think about.
Lightning: Something sad? Like your pointless existence?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I can confirm that literally evey task that you hate is a trophy. I am only half joking.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Hahaha don't worry, there's nothing crazy like maxing out stats... (5 chest chocobo races, unlocking every node for every character, beating the final optional boss, obtaining all the celestial weapons, and getting all the slot reels? Sure that's not as bad right?).

X-2 has a trophy for completing the bestiary which is catastrophically boring to do. The last time I 100%'d X-2, I hit maybe 50% bestiary completeness. Also there's a trophy for getting a 99 chain, which will be terrifyingly frustrating to do I'm sure.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 18, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I never came close to completing the sphere grid for even a single character. Just so mind-numbingly grindy. Let alone the people who go through the entire sphere grid deleting "suboptimal" node and replacing them with new nodes to have perfect stats. gently caress. That.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Schwartzcough posted:

Remember that you're in a JRPG thread before you judge on what sounds stupid. Stupid and outlandish poo poo is the name of the game. The sequence basically boils down to:

1st meeting:
Girl: Want to see me cry? It'll only cost you 10 gil!
Lightning: :what: Why would I want that?
Girl: It'll totally be worth it, trust me!
Lightning: Fine, what the hell. Cry for me, kid.
Girl: Hmm, no, can't do it. Not for you. Sorry.
Lightning: But you already took my money.
Girl: It's ok, I'll tell you a story instead. [Monologues about her business]

2nd meeting:
Girl: Want to see me cry, it's only 50 gil!
Lightning: Get lost, you already pulled this con once.
Girl: No really, it'll be worth it this time! I swear!
Lightning: Fine, whatever. Do it.
Girl: Ohh, gee, still can't do it. Not for you.
Lightning: You little poo poo.
Girl: How about I tell you how I cry for people? What I think about.
Lightning: Something sad? Like your pointless existence?

Stop trying to make me buy this game.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Does X/X-2 have cross-buy between the PS3 and Vita or are they separate?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Krad posted:

Stop trying to make me buy this game.
It's a fun game that I choose to interpret as the people in charge giving them all this stupid poo poo to write and then everyone actually making the game making it a complete parody of itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

Does X/X-2 have cross-buy between the PS3 and Vita or are they separate?

100% separate. It has cross-play but not cross-buy.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Excels posted:

So which FF game have you all put the MOST hours into total?

For me it would have to be FFXII, mostly because the original game is so slow it literally takes that long to do most of the sidequests. After 130+ hours I don't think I even hit Lv80 with all six characters. Then again I only used Fran, Ashe and Basch for most of the game.

If we're talking single file, it's FFXII. It's the first one I ever got more than 100 hours into. If we're talking total time, though, it's IX. I've replayed that game at least 12-15 times, and at least 30 hours per file. It's never gotten old.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I predict there will be a lot of FFX/X-2 talk in the upcoming days and weeks and even though I am poor and can't get the game right now, I wanted to say one of my favorite bits from X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIOAmRsU4eQ

Maybe it's because I played X when I was young and genre blind but this whole trial bit really sticks out to me. I can't remember thinking Yevon were the good guys or whatever but all of them turning on you and revealing the true nature of Yevon will forever stay in my memory as a high point of the game's drama.
Plus you gotta love the way Seymour reacts to Kelk staring at him after learning about his patricide. "Hm? Hadn't you heard?"

I guess it also has a big place in my memory because Auron is kind enough to hammer home the SYMBOLISM. Spiral of Death. Spira. Themes And Ideas Explained To You. Not that I mind - I was young and dumb and didn't expect that kind of stuff in my video games and I'm pretty sure FFX was meant for people like me so they were just being smart about their audience.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 18, 2014

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
The only reason I've been able to stop myself from buying the FFX/X-2 remake is because I don't like the music changes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I forgot I pre-ordered X/X-2 but it's coming tomorrow I guess. I will probably be playing Dark Souls II for at least another few months but I'm glad I have a copy of this to play. X was the first FF I ever played, but it was only through my friend. Still remember the opening scene pretty vividly and I'm interested in playing the game again.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

There's an entire mission line based around a dude who lost his girlfriend and who is mourning her and wants someone to watch fireworks with. Lightning agrees but only on the condition she gets a free steak. Throughout the rest of the mission she continues to remind him that she's only there for the steak when he tries to monologue about his sadness.

To be fair he doesn't mention this until halfway through the date. He only tells her he got stood up and asks her to watch the fire-works with her because "she'll do". I don't really blame her for being more interested in the steak.

ImpAtom posted:

I can not tell you when LR is trying to be serious and when it is trying to be a parody. Half the time it is impossible to tell. You'll do a sidequest and then Lightning will complain to Hope over radio how stupid and inane it is. It's clearly trying to be funny sometimes and serious sometimes and it is so stupid I can't tell you which is which for the most part.

I was really disappointed when Lightning turned Snow back to normal with some healing spell instead of continuing hitting him until she'd beaten the Cie'th out of him. That would have been amazing. At least the scene was so overwrought it still made me laugh.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 18, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

scissorman posted:

In time with the Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD release, BradyGames is re-releasing the FFX and FFX-2 guides packaged together with some new info.
I'm interested in maybe picking it up, especially since I never played the games before, so I want to ask you if anyone has experience with the original books.

I have both of the original guides. I can see them there, sitting right next to my TV. They were pretty good, although the X one was mostly unnecessary, it did help with finding poo poo like the al byes books and anima and a few other things.

In spite of the above, I pre-ordered the new guide (International Version it must be different right? Right?) and both a PS3 and Vita copy of the game. Cross-save functionality!

I'm really dumb with my money sometimes.

E: also, someone asked if it's coming out this week. The answer is yes as I just got a shipment notice from my online game store.

Re: achievements, it's like they decided that to make up for LR's relatively sane trophy list they would go full retard on X/X-2.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 18, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I have both of the original guides. I can see them there, sitting right next to my TV. They were pretty good, although the X one was mostly unnecessary, it did help with finding poo poo like the al byes books and anima and a few other things.

In spite of the above, I pre-ordered the new guide (International Version it must be different right? Right?) and both a PS3 and Vita copy of the game. Cross-save functionality!

I'm really dumb with my money sometimes.

I can't decide which one to buy but there's no way I'm buying both.

EDIT: As in the PS3 or Vita versions.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 18, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Renoistic posted:

I can't decide which one to buy but there's no way I'm buying both.

They're packaged together for the re-release. I think it was like $30.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Renoistic posted:

I was really disappointed when Lightning turned Snow back to normal with some healing spell instead of continuing hitting him until she'd beaten the Cie'th out of him. That would have been amazing. At least the scene was so overwrought it still made me laugh.

Wait, what? From when I played it, it totally looked like that's what happened. I didn't notice any healing spell thing at all, maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Either way, it's cooler without it.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anyone know if the FFX/X2 Hd Remix games are up on the ps3 psn?

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
It's not on the web store in any form I can find.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Is it really 23gb? That has got to be the biggest single item on the psn store right? I changed my mind about a digital version when I saw that, not enough free space.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Brasseye posted:

Is it really 23gb? That has got to be the biggest single item on the psn store right? I changed my mind about a digital version when I saw that, not enough free space.

Nope, The Last of Us ended up nearer to 30 when installed and its dynamic download completed. When you think about it, it's really got the data for two full games, not just one, so not that crazy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brasseye posted:

Ni No Kuni is 23 gigs (a 5 gig demo and another 18 gig download) and it's only one game.

edit: Also, Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition is up there, I think it's around 20 gigs and it's just a drat 2D fighting game.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm looking to download the X/X-2 remaster from PSN on my vita this week (it's out on Friday in europe) but I will be at work all day and travelling after that, to a place with terrible internet facilities no less. Downloading games at work is frowned upon, so is there any chance that the games will be available after midnight on Thursday? I have very little experience with PSN, i'd still love to have the games by the weekend.

Also, as i'm asking, does anyone have a confirmed filesize for each game? I think I read somewhere that X will be 3.5GB which is just about the size of the remaining space on my memory card and my new 16GB one won't arrive until next week probably. (I should have planned things better. :( )

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It didn't go up at midnight for the US release, so I really doubt it will for the EU release.

X/X-2 combined is 7 gigs for the Vita version, so I would assume it's a fairly even split and 3.5 sounds about right.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I was planning on finishing my series runthrough before X/X-2 HD came out but I hit a snag with FF8. It's funny, I love the game but I've never made it past the last dungeon of disc 3. I just get so psyched out because it's a huge chunk of gameplay and then another huge chunk and you're done. I haven't even started 9 yet, either (although I do love 9 and have beaten it before).

My poor backlog :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silver Striker posted:

I was planning on finishing my series runthrough before X/X-2 HD came out but I hit a snag with FF8. It's funny, I love the game but I've never made it past the last dungeon of disc 3. I just get so psyched out because it's a huge chunk of gameplay and then another huge chunk and you're done. I haven't even started 9 yet, either (although I do love 9 and have beaten it before).

My poor backlog :(

It takes only as long as it takes to mash X and get snacks while cutscenes play assuming you have Enc-None and the traditional over-optimized party. You can do it.

As a kid I never finished FF8 because I got the Ragnarok and just played card games for like 20 hours and then bought FFIX. Went to a friends house to watch FF8's ending and was like, yep, that sure is some poo poo.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

It takes only as long as it takes to mash X and get snacks while cutscenes play assuming you have Enc-None and the traditional over-optimized party

This just in games become trivial when you over-optimise your party.

But really, I think you mean "mash triangle until you hear the limit sound and kill everything with Renzokuken".

edit: It's a shame, really, because the final dungeon is honestly one of the best parts of the whole game. One of the best parts of the whole PSX era Final Fantasies, really.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 18, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've never made it past disc 2 anytime I've tried to replay FF8. My memories of Disc 3 are... not good, either. I even bought them all on PSN whenever I was feeling nostalgiac, but just... eh.

I am however having a lot of fun with the newly-translated, balanced and enhanced version of FF7 for the NES. It's seriously a lot of fun, and kind of has a more interesting equipment/magic system than the original.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

morallyobjected posted:

This just in games become trivial when you over-optimise your party.

But really, I think you mean "mash triangle until you hear the limit sound and kill everything with Renzokuken".

edit: It's a shame, really, because the final dungeon is honestly one of the best parts of the whole game. One of the best parts of the whole PSX era Final Fantasies, really.

I'm not a huge VIII fan by any means but I will admit that the final dungeon comes together really well. It doesn't seem like it should be in VIII but it's quite a cool design with the music and visuals.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are there any videos that compare the audio quality of the Vita and Ps3 version of FFXHD? I heard the vita one is kind of lacking but I'd really like to play it on the go but don't to be stuck with a bad sounding OST.

I tried googling but I could only find PS2-->ps3 comparison things.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I can't decide which Sphere Grid I want to use. On one hand I want to try out something new, on the other I want to relive going through the game mostly the same as it was (I had been wanting to play through it again but news of the re-release stayed my hand every time). I mean, eventually you end up going into everyone elses sphere grid, anyway.

The nights I spent getting everything for King Cactuar, Overdrive->AP, and the damage-to-overdrive-charge are a blur to me but I remember that pretty much being the end for any challenge to completing the sphere grid. 99 sphere levels per battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

Tone is a problem that most FF games have trouble with, in much the same way that the Star Wars prequels do. A lot of the game takes itself so seriously and is so melodramatic and its interspersed with comedy bits that are rather stupid and the end result is just a jarring mess.