Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Das_Bass posted:

on the topic of GTA stock markets, what ever happened to the GTAO having it's own Stocks? Do they not want us making money with it or something?
Cash card sales are down! We can't have something like stocks where they can make money for free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Also, when did they add new car horns?

I really, really hope they patch the online mechanic/car storage systems into singleplayer. Even if only with the story DLC.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mokinokaro posted:

Also, when did they add new car horns?

I really, really hope they patch the online mechanic/car storage systems into singleplayer. Even if only with the story DLC.

On the business pack update I believe.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Timeless Appeal posted:

The early stuff in GTA IV makes it hard to really get into when you've already played it, but I really do like the beginning of the game. I liked pretending that I was just an immigrant trying to make a go of it before things go to poo poo. And I like how vulnerable you feel at the game's start. And I liked that the first time you straight up murder someone seems important. GTA IV fails at some poo poo, but I really don't like how easily it gets written off or some of the things it attempts are seen as intrinsically bad.

Honestly, the thing I really really want them to bring back and expand on is something like the club management stuff from Gay Tony. It was just really nice having this legitimate job that you go to in the evenings. I'd do a mission or just gently caress around during the day then go to the club. It gave this nice structure to everything and really made Luis seem like he had a real life.

I do respect that IV's protagonist isn't just a quipping power fantasy, but part of the problem is that the game wants you to take it easy at first and have Nico just get caught up in Roman's problems, yet there's so little to do beyond advance to the next mission that within a handful of days you're fresh off the boat to killing drug dealers by the dozen while the game still plays it off like the humble immigrant just starting a new life. The missions in both GTAV and Gay Tony are immediately crazier by degrees, but there's also a lot more random stuff to do, whereas at the beginning of IV the only thing there is to do outside of missions (and causing general mayhem, obviously) is go on dates with Michelle or do low-paying taxi jobs for Roman, neither of which is terribly interesting. Oddly enough, the game introduces you to what you'd think would be early game missions when you start collecting cars from Brucie, but you don't even meet Brucie until all the poo poo with Faustin and Dimitri is about to hit the fan.

The pacing is just all over the place, really. I almost wonder how well it would work if Rockstar was able to go back and do what they wanted from the start, having you switch between Nico, Johnny and Luis the way you do in GTAV.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on getting the combat pistol early, goons! The weapon dealer managed to get one shot off even when I was hitting him with the bat, so when the three guys burst in unexpectedly I barely escaped with a sliver of health. Probably the highlight of the game so far :shobon:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As an aside, I finally restarted the campaign since none of the goddamn patches fixed the "can't progress past Surveying The Score" bug, even if I reloaded from a save before the mission BEFORE that. This time, I picked all the "dumbest" options for the first heist (Go In Loud, picked the guys with the lowest stats). The heist went better and gave me more money then when I picked the "smart" options. Is Rockstar trolling or what because :confused:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

precision posted:

As an aside, I finally restarted the campaign since none of the goddamn patches fixed the "can't progress past Surveying The Score" bug, even if I reloaded from a save before the mission BEFORE that. This time, I picked all the "dumbest" options for the first heist (Go In Loud, picked the guys with the lowest stats). The heist went better and gave me more money then when I picked the "smart" options. Is Rockstar trolling or what because :confused:

Guys with lower stats receive a lower cut of your total, meaning you earn more money overall. Somebody went through and determined the maximum amount you can earn from each heist and which combination of stuff gets you the best net result.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crappy Jack posted:

Guys with lower stats receive a lower cut of your total, meaning you earn more money overall. Somebody went through and determined the maximum amount you can earn from each heist and which combination of stuff gets you the best net result.

Well yeah I knew that part, but the low-stat guys also didn't gently caress anything up (well, I did have to shoot somebody and there was a throwaway line about "good job with crowd control, dumbass!") whereas when I did the heist with the high-stat guys, all kinds of poo poo got hosed up.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

On the business pack update I believe.

Can anyone confirm this?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Fayez Butts posted:

Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, the new car horns came with the Business Pack.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Fayez Butts posted:

Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52202/The-Business-Update-for-GTA-Online-Is-Now-Available

quote:

This update adds three new blazing fast cars to the Legendary Motorsport roster, the Albany Alpha, Dinka Jester and Grotti Turismo R. And for those who subscribe to the idea that "if you've got it, flaunt it", there are also new vehicle horn and wheel-smoke options available at LS Customs to give these new rides some additional flair.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Oh I was referring to the car storage thing. I guess it's the same old same old?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

precision posted:

Well yeah I knew that part, but the low-stat guys also didn't gently caress anything up (well, I did have to shoot somebody and there was a throwaway line about "good job with crowd control, dumbass!") whereas when I did the heist with the high-stat guys, all kinds of poo poo got hosed up.

Yeah, that's all in there. Every possible hire has an effect on the heist, sometimes it's negligible, sometimes it affects your difficulty, and sometimes it ends in complete failure. Hiring a low price guy doesn't necessarily guarantee a bad outcome; check out a guide, people have written on exactly what each hire will do.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Mokinokaro posted:

And insurance. And the quick GPS. And Merryweather. And snacks to heal. And the thing where you can make the map huge instead of just zooming out a tiny bit.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Fayez Butts posted:

Oh I was referring to the car storage thing. I guess it's the same old same old?

yep

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just made 600k on LCN since redwood was ridiculously low at $8ish, drove round a bit, did some chute jumps and ended up with it nearly $20 per unit.

It's fun, but it's really not fast enough to get me anywhere near enough to buy mike all the cinemas and frank the golf club.

Maybe I'll join the hordes going back to 4 and hope the dlc adds some more moneymaking options...

e: also just discovered you can walk up to any pedestrian and chat to them by pressing right on the d-pad. Fun!

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 17, 2014

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Scyron posted:

My roommate spend 3 real life hours doing the Save->cancel->time advances 6 hours(x4 per day)(x7 days in a week) for the income checks from his properties.

He never saved the Lester missions and only had Franklin take some advantage of the BAWSAQ changes.

It's a waste of time. You won't get ROI on most of the properties even if you put in like 200 game hours. So properties that generate nothing but cash is just a waste of time unless you're a completionist. Just google for the charts people have made.

Also if you sleep as Trevor time advances 12 hours. Franklin: 8hr. Michael: 6hr.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Ringo R posted:

Also if you sleep as Trevor time advances 12 hours. Franklin: 8hr. Michael: 6hr.

:aaa: I had no idea. I'm guessing it's because Franklin is a normal person, Michael has stress dreams from his life falling apart, and Trevor doesn't 'sleep' so much as 'finally pass out after his body fully succumbs to whatever drugs he's doing'?

It's a neat detail, anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
6 hours is a more "normal" amount of sleep than 8 :eng101:

But yeah, that is a cool detail. Franklin gets that good weed sleep, Trevor only sleeps when he's been up for 4 days on meth, and Michael wakes up screaming every night

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Which means if you were going to try the 'sleep / collect property income' route, Trevor would be the best person to do it with. Although I see what you mean, for the hassle and RSI of getting in and out of bed for a few hours, you might stand a chance of making about what you would by playing the stock market.

Is there any way of transferring money between characters?

Das_Bass
Feb 11, 2014

Croccers posted:

Cash card sales are down! We can't have something like stocks where they can make money for free!

I didn't want to come out and say it, but that's how it feels. Not sure what I would have done with billions that was given to me out of the blue, but I do miss blindly modding cars and buying all new ones. If you were allowed more than 1 building I would have bought more. I just want more ways of making money that don't make me buy poo poo in an online store.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Ringo R posted:

It's a waste of time. You won't get ROI on most of the properties even if you put in like 200 game hours. So properties that generate nothing but cash is just a waste of time unless you're a completionist. Just google for the charts people have made.

He slept and managed to buy the golf course, however I think he was already pretty close. He was well aware of making money when it didn't matter anymore and gave up on the 100% road at 90.4%

I managed 100% just fine, but my cell phone is broken in game so I can't do anything with the save. I have to in fact use another new save just for online, otherwise if I try to use the internet on my phone, even in GTAO, I have a phone crash.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

When I played GTA IV the first time, I was impatient and frustrated at my lack of progress until the Faustin betrayal started really opening up the game.

Every other time I replayed it, I took my time and role played it to the point where I had Niko taking the train or a taxi instead of stealing cars and obeying traffic laws in non-emergencies*. I used the starter pistol as his main firearm for most of the game since who has a Pocket of Holding to carry around a whole arsenal in? I actually found it much more enjoyable to play the game at a relaxed pace and just absorb every little thing they put into it.

Unfortunately this doesn't work quite as well for me in GTA V. I think it has to do with the world not being as dense with detail as IV was.

*Did you know that any passenger you have will comment on this? Some people, like Packie, get frustrated you're taking so long. Little Jacob enjoys how chill you're being. I really liked when I was driving Phil Bell around like this once and he commented something along the lines of "Keeping it low key. Smart. I like it."

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Promoted Pawn posted:

Unfortunately this doesn't work quite as well for me in GTA V. I think it has to do with the world not being as dense with detail as IV was.

It's weird, I feel like there's still a load of detail in V, from the boards marking trails in the hills to the Playboy Mansion complete with bare-bosomed ladies and grotto in the back. There's a lot of life in select bits, like around Not-Grauman's on Vinewood Boulevard or across the beach with all the joggers, cyclists, sunbathers, dog-walkers, etc. while the industrial areas rightly feel cold and abandoned. It's just that... I guess there are a couple of areas that feel so lifeless in comparison. Like, it's so weird how barren places like the racetrack or the arena feel when you know how lively the game can be. I think in comparison, IV had fewer of these empty areas because it was more compact, succinct even (which might be why there's no Yankee Stadium or Madison Square Garden, at least according to my memory?). It had parks and the industrial part of Alderney, but they worked well enough for what they were.

Will have to see where the possible DLC goes, I suppose!

One thing I will definitely vouch for in V over IV though is the sound. There's a lot of ambience when you walk around the docks, the airport or other industrial areas in particular. I don't remember IV's being quite that detailed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Promoted Pawn posted:

Every other time I replayed it, I took my time and role played it to the point where I had Niko taking the train or a taxi instead of stealing cars and obeying traffic laws in non-emergencies*. I used the starter pistol as his main firearm for most of the game since who has a Pocket of Holding to carry around a whole arsenal in? I actually found it much more enjoyable to play the game at a relaxed pace and just absorb every little thing they put into it.

I think that was certainly the intended way to play it. There was even talk, before release, about how it would be very hard/virtually impossible to "just steal any car you want", but I guess they realized players would bitch endlessly about that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If they really want to make taking cars prohibitive they should just give drivers random chances at fighting back against a jacking.

I am R* mark number 1. I can't connect to anyone to play GTAO and yet I still spend my nights trying to beat the missions, survivals, and testing out verified races by my lonesome in solo mode :smith: Thank goodness they haven't nerfed the exp from golfing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I am R* mark number 1. I can't connect to anyone to play GTAO and yet I still spend my nights trying to beat the missions, survivals, and testing out verified races by my lonesome in solo mode :smith: Thank goodness they haven't nerfed the exp from golfing.
I'm in a similar boat thanks to the horrible upstream here. Every few months it craps out and I can only join games, which puts me at the mercy of the random idiot generator that is matchmaking.

I designed two deathmatches, but I very rarely get a chance to play them.

Bully is ridiculously cheap on xbl at the moment though so I'm thinking about revisiting that.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Promoted Pawn posted:

When I played GTA IV the first time, I was impatient and frustrated at my lack of progress until the Faustin betrayal started really opening up the game.

*Did you know that any passenger you have will comment on this? Some people, like Packie, get frustrated you're taking so long. Little Jacob enjoys how chill you're being. I really liked when I was driving Phil Bell around like this once and he commented something along the lines of "Keeping it low key. Smart. I like it."

I don't know if that's a point in its favor though, because it almost sounds like they encouraged you to play it as boring as possible and you essentially resigned yourself to it. I do understand it, to an extent, and I don't play any GTA as a complete mass murdering psychopath, but just sitting in traffic behind four other cars and hitting every other red light is so anti-fun that it's hard to believe it was intended that way. Hell, the in-game conversations don't even really last long enough to play that way, so I think the developers knew players would be blowing past everyone on the road for the most part.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If they really want to make taking cars prohibitive they should just give drivers random chances at fighting back against a jacking.

Have you looked into the probable causes of this? Like checking into your NAT type and trying to change it, putting your 360 into the DMZ of your router and other stuff like that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't know if that's a point in its favor though, because it almost sounds like they encouraged you to play it as boring as possible and you essentially resigned yourself to it. I do understand it, to an extent, and I don't play any GTA as a complete mass murdering psychopath, but just sitting in traffic behind four other cars and hitting every other red light is so anti-fun that it's hard to believe it was intended that way. Hell, the in-game conversations don't even really last long enough to play that way, so I think the developers knew players would be blowing past everyone on the road for the most part.

People have different definitions of fun. I consider driving an actual car to be fun even though I obey traffic laws, how crazy is that?!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Aurain posted:

Have you looked into the probable causes of this? Like checking into your NAT type and trying to change it, putting your 360 into the DMZ of your router and other stuff like that.

Yeah I've futzed around with all the usual stuff up to and including trying a few runs with the xbox connected directly to the modem and it just won't stay connected for more than 15-20 minutes. Slightly longer if all I'm doing is a 2 man session with one of my brothers.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah I've futzed around with all the usual stuff up to and including trying a few runs with the xbox connected directly to the modem and it just won't stay connected for more than 15-20 minutes. Slightly longer if all I'm doing is a 2 man session with one of my brothers.
That's exceptionally strange. Especially if it's only GTA V giving you this hassle.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If it's only GTA that is weird. Are there any other games that are OK?

The alternative is that it's a problem with your line, in which case you need to phone your provider. I have upstream issues which, as I said, means I can't host, but when it gets bad enough that I can't connect at all they send an engineer out.

Now that one of their people has actually been out and tested the line, they have a note on my account about the upstream, and when I complain, they now listen.

Das_Bass
Feb 11, 2014

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's weird, I feel like there's still a load of detail in V, from the boards marking trails in the hills to the Playboy Mansion complete with bare-bosomed ladies and grotto in the back. There's a lot of life in select bits, like around Not-Grauman's on Vinewood Boulevard or across the beach with all the joggers, cyclists, sunbathers, dog-walkers, etc. while the industrial areas rightly feel cold and abandoned. It's just that... I guess there are a couple of areas that feel so lifeless in comparison. Like, it's so weird how barren places like the racetrack or the arena feel when you know how lively the game can be. I think in comparison, IV had fewer of these empty areas because it was more compact, succinct even (which might be why there's no Yankee Stadium or Madison Square Garden, at least according to my memory?). It had parks and the industrial part of Alderney, but they worked well enough for what they were.

Will have to see where the possible DLC goes, I suppose!

One thing I will definitely vouch for in V over IV though is the sound. There's a lot of ambience when you walk around the docks, the airport or other industrial areas in particular. I don't remember IV's being quite that detailed.

GTA4 didn't have a few areas of the Metro NY area. Both Yankee and Shea ( before they tore it down IRL) and MSG. Rockefeller Center as far as I remember was gone. They did put detail into some things, but I hated how every licensee plate just read "liberty city." And the NJ of the game didn't have it's own plate. I remember even GTA:SA having pates for each city and their own cops. Given how big R* likes making maps maybe adding some of the suburbs of Long Island would have been nice too. I like the map fine in 4, but even when I first played it felt like something was missing, maybe having gone to the real city my whole drat life made me want to fine things I know; in the game. Like the once famous arcade in Chinatown all the east cost fighting game pros played at, so I'll admit a bit of bais with that, but than in GTA5 I do like the map, but I really wish I could go to Las Venturas, the game could have had us do a Oceans 11 casino heist. I get asking for all 3 of the cities might be asking too much of them with that much detail, but even with out much I like it I miss doing a gone in 60 seconds police chase in San Fierro. More of a meta thing I always found it funny every city or state in GTA is a island 1000 miles away from shore.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm not saying it's how you or anyone else should have played it, just how I found it most enjoyable. I know it's an unusual style but I'm OK with that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Das_Bass posted:

GTA4 didn't have a few areas of the Metro NY area. Both Yankee and Shea ( before they tore it down IRL) and MSG. Rockefeller Center as far as I remember was gone. They did put detail into some things, but I hated how every licensee plate just read "liberty city." And the NJ of the game didn't have it's own plate. I remember even GTA:SA having pates for each city and their own cops. Given how big R* likes making maps maybe adding some of the suburbs of Long Island would have been nice too. I like the map fine in 4, but even when I first played it felt like something was missing, maybe having gone to the real city my whole drat life made me want to fine things I know; in the game. Like the once famous arcade in Chinatown all the east cost fighting game pros played at, so I'll admit a bit of bais with that, but than in GTA5 I do like the map, but I really wish I could go to Las Venturas, the game could have had us do a Oceans 11 casino heist. I get asking for all 3 of the cities might be asking too much of them with that much detail, but even with out much I like it I miss doing a gone in 60 seconds police chase in San Fierro. More of a meta thing I always found it funny every city or state in GTA is a island 1000 miles away from shore.

I appreciate the giant wilderness in 5 but at the same time I would kinda rather had them cut about half that wilderness to make the actual city larger, or give us another city. poo poo, they already had a giant model of LA for LA Noire, I wish they could have somehow imported some of that.

Alternatively, just give us GTA:LA set in the 40s and using the exact same map, I would buy the almighty gently caress out of that poo poo.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'd like to see them do a 'city of the future' GTA, I think it would be really interesting to see what they come up with.

Either that or another London.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'd like to see them do a 'city of the future' GTA, I think it would be really interesting to see what they come up with.

So, GTA2?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Capn Beeb posted:

Well you see realism and immersion and the artistic vision, :byodood:

It would have worked if it had cool melee fighting like Sleeping Dogs, just saying.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They did this already and it was awesome. Like a kind of cartoony 90's comic book style with claymation and 1940's-futuristic vehicles. They need to do it again.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 19, 2014

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I played GTA 2, and I never got that vibe from it. Although now I think on it, maybe I didn't play GTA 2 and just thought I did...

I think it would be interesting to see in the newer HD engines, although I maybe meant kind of retro-futuristic. Like the Jetsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
So yeah, just GTA2 in the RAGE engine. Which is something that needs to happen.

• Locked thread