Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

"Oh thank god, I'm finally out of The Gutter. No more of those stupid stat- GOD loving DAMNIT!"

Then you see The Rotten putting the head back on one and you're like stop right there. Dark Souls 2 has given me an irrational hatred of statues, rats, and mages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

alf_pogs posted:

Here are some dumb questions regarding the superhard rings. If anyone can answer them, go for it.

In a no-bonfires run, can you die and respawn without it counting as 'resting at a bonfire'?

In a no-deaths run, can you use the Ring Of Life Protection and cheese a bunch of deaths?

Death is death. :colbert: can't cheese the no death run.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Is the Old Whip really that hard of a pull from the crows? Because after a couple days and about 20 smooth and silky stones I have three of them.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

"Oh thank god, I'm finally out of The Gutter. No more of those stupid stat- GOD loving DAMNIT!"

I think I'm about to run out of places to go that don't have poison all over all the place.
There is way too much poison poo poo in this game. Which wouldn't be as bad if it were like poison in DaS1.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

alf_pogs posted:

Here are some dumb questions regarding the superhard rings. If anyone can answer them, go for it.

In a no-bonfires run, can you die and respawn without it counting as 'resting at a bonfire'?

In a no-deaths run, can you use the Ring Of Life Protection and cheese a bunch of deaths?

Are these runs self imposed challenges or is there some sort of reward for completing them?

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Holy poo poo Velstadt. I might have a new favorite boss.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fuligin posted:

Holy poo poo Black Gulch. "I can't take this..." indeed.

Go to town and buy 99 Lifegems from the backpack merchant for 30k souls. It trivializes that area and a lot of other areas of the game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

turnways posted:

Is the Old Whip really that hard of a pull from the crows? Because after a couple days and about 20 smooth and silky stones I have three of them.

It's all easy to get with the stones, it's hard when people want to base a run around it and restart with Petrified Somethings trying to pull it right away.

e: doublepost :argh:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Tracula posted:

Are these runs self imposed challenges or is there some sort of reward for completing them?

Super special rings that hide the left or right arm.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Mimic posted:

Then you see The Rotten putting the head back on one and you're like stop right there. Dark Souls 2 has given me an irrational hatred of statues, rats, and mages.

By the time I got to that boss and saw that part of the cutscene, I shouted "YEAH, gently caress YOU!" at my TV.

Also, I just beat Looking Glass Knight NG+ a little while ago, and his minions were not PVP summons. You guys lied!!! (OK, so he only had time to pop out one minion, and maybe no one was available to get summoned.) Pretty cool if this actually does happen, and wasn't just a scrapped idea.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 19, 2014

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I think I'm about to run out of places to go that don't have poison all over all the place.
There is way too much poison poo poo in this game. Which wouldn't be as bad if it were like poison in DaS1.

I wouldn't mind it so much if the Poisonbite ring was worth a drat. It's kind of annoying how the first rank of the rings with +1 and +2 versions are more or less pointless. The Cursebite ring only has one version and it works great. Why can't all the rings be like that?

*edit*

The base stats suck, yeah, but check out the scaling ratings on it.
VVVVVVVVVVV

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Aww. I'm at least a little disappointed that the sun sword isn't that impressive.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Boxn posted:

Super special rings that hide the left or right arm.

You've gotta be loving kidding me.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Link contains spoilers. You've been warned.

You all should take a look at this things I drafted and tell me if you think it would be useful.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Tracula posted:

I'm not, at all.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tracula posted:

Nope, that's it. Makes your weapons invisible... they're pretty much for bragging rights to a very small audience that probably doesn't even notice nor care. Even the Champions covenant max rank reward is better; a ring that "greatly increases" the damage of bare fist attacks.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

LuciferMorningstar posted:

You all should take a look at this things I drafted and tell me if you think it would be useful.

Thanks for this, it'll be really useful for me when I'm gonna do a Hex mage run and a Cirno run.

enojy posted:

Nope, that's it. Makes your weapons invisible... they're pretty much for bragging rights to a very small audience that probably doesn't even notice nor care. Even the Champions covenant max rank reward is better; a ring that "greatly increases" the damage of bare fist attacks.

poo poo, really? Where do you get Awestones, I need that reward now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have a feeling they're not going to make weapons completely invisible, anyway. Probably a ghostly, barely-seen translucent.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

enojy posted:

Calling for a punchy fist run of Dark Souls II.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Boxn posted:

Thanks for this, it'll be really useful for me when I'm gonna do a Hex mage run and a Cirno run.

poo poo, really? Where do you get Awestones, I need that reward now.

Not sure! I just skimped that bit of info out of the strategy guide. I imagine you get them from beating bosses, but that's just a guess.

In other news, I just hit Shrine of Amana in NG+ and I don't even care anymore. I know there are going to be black phantom casters peppered in there and I can't afford a new TV because I'd have launched a controller through it.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I acually got a bite summon into that rotten fight. Only reason was the cut scene played as the host stepped into the arena so he mustn't have had any idea what to expect.

I quite liked that boss, but I'm a sucker for 'Legion' type bosses ever since Symphony of the Night.

I kind of wish that when your host lights a bonfire it counts for your world. I've had six or seven dry runs of the shrine of amana and really don't want to solo it, but I view summoning help as a weakness because I'm a GRIMDARK HARDCORE MAGIC USER

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

This is beautiful and I think it belongs in the OP. Some folks won't be familiar with prezi(like me). Is there any way you could stick version numbers on this as you populate it and save it as an image?

Also as a design headsup, if you plan to fully populate it, it'll be important to distinguish NG+ enemies and items from NG. I might suggest starting with a completed NG version and then creating an NG+ addendum.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Well, I hadn't seen anyone post about this particular topic yet and searching for the weapon doesn't bring up anything so here goes: my partner and I just finished testing something neat but tedious with a weapon called the Spear of Santier. It's some really lousy weapon you find in the Doors of Pharos that is more or less a spear stuck in a big chunk of stone.

Sure enough, if you break it, all five hundred durability of it, the stone on the end breaks and it turns into a regular big-rear end spear with some flashy movesets except it still doesn't seem to scale at all so I'm not sure how good it will be long-term. The one-handed attacks are pretty bad but if you two-hand it you turn into a crazy Dynasty Warriors character spinning around and doing crazy poo poo. If there's a quicker way to break it, go hog wild and have a look. The change is permanent, you can sit down at the bonfire and it'll refill the durability but stay changed.

So that's kind of cool.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

First time I went to Smooth and Silky (I will never call them Dyna and Tillo :colbert: ), and I got the Old Whip! Might use it since this character is either gonna be a quality build or a Pure Str one.

BlackFrost posted:

Aww. I'm at least a little disappointed that the sun sword isn't that impressive.

But it is very impressive, especially with Lightning Imbibed into it.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Fresh off my first pass at Dark Souls 2, here's my spoiler-free, post-credits initial reaction:

The gameplay is more fun than ever. Feels like there are lots of things to do and mess with and try out. The weapon movesets feel varied and interesting and it seems like there will be something to suit any play style. The level layouts are fun enough, with plenty of variety in enemy type and strategy. The areas do not connect and intersect as well as DS1, but it feels like DS2 was trying to feel more like an expansive kingdom than a tightly woven region with multiple intersecting paths. I appreciated the varied environments and the ways they tried to make a different zone *play* differently. The random Black Phantoms and NPC invaders kept things interesting too.

The bosses seem to fall more towards the Artorias/O&S/Queelag/Manus style of fighting. I can't think of any Bed of Chaos style fights, to be clear. Just on NG, bosses seem aggressive and in your face for the most part. I found them mostly fun, although I tire of certain status effect gimmicks quickly on one or two. Luckily, at this stage in DS2's lifespan, summoning is easy everywhere.

My favorite part of Souls games, playing Pretty Princess Dress Up, is great this time. LOTS of clothing options, including some absurd poo poo. The addition of some fun hair and beard styles means you can be whatever weirdo you want this time around. I haven't found a hat as cool as the Xanthous Crown yet, but certain bosses heads become sweet-rear end hats which I appreciate.

As I've said before, the music is underwhelming. I can only remember a couple boss fight tracks. There's nothing wrong with an understated soundtrack, but I loved DS1's unique and compelling score, so DS2's is kind of a let down.

The plot in DS2 is disjointed and thrown together. Since it IS a souls game, it's fine since it passes for mystique. But for 75% of the game I didn't really have an idea of what I was doing or why. Even in DS1, which was stingy with details, I basically understood the initial premise trying to reignite an Age of Fire or else reigning over an Age of Darkness, and the lead up to that decision as a test of merit for a Chosen Undead. In DS2, I get that I'm cursed, but it doesn't mean much and the stakes were clear at first. I think this thread and future supplementary details will help enrich the story and I like the idea of cyclicality implied by the plot, but it's just not as tight as DS1. There are some fun, evocative side stories in the game though. Like The Embedded item/incident. Nothing major in the game, but great flavor.

The social aspect of the game, PVP and Co-op, is great so far in DS2. Not all of it is working as intended yet, but the game is young so once there are two or three "generations" of player, I think the Sentinel/Blood Brotherhood feud will be a lot more dynamic. The Ratbros was a great riff on the Forest Covenant. I didn't mess around in the Belfries, I'm sure it was a pain, but it's something to do I suppose. It's fun relying on messages and player ghosts again and I think the shared experience aspect of the souls game is a revolution in design.

Dark Souls 2 fixes a lot of little annoyances with DS1 and goes off in a different direction instead of just rehashing more of the same. It's not perfect, it does certain things worse than DS1, but when it comes down to the physical experience of *playing the game*, I think Dark Souls 2 is a worthy successor and a welcome replacement. Having played through once as a Beefsteak STR build, Dark Souls 2 beckons with promises of varied play styles as well as new experiences in NG+, beyond just HP and Damage modifiers.

Verdict: DS2 lived up to the hype, it was worth my midnight purchase, and no I don't regret putting 50 hours into it over the course of 7 days. From Software has a fan for life and this game only solidifies my commitment to buying the next souls game at midnight again.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 19, 2014

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The Wharf sucks a lot and I hate it. I am only here because my coworker said there is some really rad loot somewhere.

Really wish I could have seen the look on my face when I was fighting that group of three dudes in front of the houses in the beginning of the level and OH gently caress WHAT IS THAT SCREAMING GREEN THING AAAAH :magical:.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Luceid posted:

Well, I hadn't seen anyone post about this particular topic yet and searching for the weapon doesn't bring up anything so here goes: my partner and I just finished testing something neat but tedious with a weapon called the Spear of Santier. snip

So that's kind of cool.

That's a fantastic find. Does the description change?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

NotAnArtist posted:

I kind of wish that when your host lights a bonfire it counts for your world. I've had six or seven dry runs of the shrine of amana and really don't want to solo it, but I view summoning help as a weakness because I'm a GRIMDARK HARDCORE MAGIC USER

There's an NPC summon in that area you're REALLY going to want to use if you value your sanity.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

God I hate Freja, that runback takes forever and I haven't found a reliable way to run past everything..

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Discendo Vox posted:

That's a fantastic find. Does the description change?

It stays the same, sadly.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Just got soul shower, and along with shockwave, yearn and chameleon I'm starting to wonder if no one tested sorcery in this game. As far as I can tell, all these spells do nothing and have no use. Soul shower's description says it "only works in certain places and against certain foes." What?! It takes about 4 seconds to cast and does no damage from what I've seen. I've got far more int than faith and yet lightning spear is doing 4x what any sorcery does.

Pyromancy is also garbage but it has extremely low requirements so that seems fair. Hexes are great mostly (except for dark hail which does about 14 damage.)

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

turnways posted:

It is if you're trying to do an All-Whip no other weapons except bare fists concept run, which means you have about 6 tries with savescumming to get the whip if you choose the Petrified Something and get the small stone at the beginning.

Edit: Chameleon is a PVP magic skill that camouflages you as set dressing in the environment to get the drop on fools. Yearn attracts enemies to it and it can be used to fool tons of enemies into attacking thin air.

laplace fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 19, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

enojy posted:

Not sure! I just skimped that bit of info out of the strategy guide. I imagine you get them from beating bosses, but that's just a guess.

In other news, I just hit Shrine of Amana in NG+ and I don't even care anymore. I know there are going to be black phantom casters peppered in there and I can't afford a new TV because I'd have launched a controller through it.

Regarding NG+ Amana: There actually aren't! IIRC there's only one black phantom enemy in the entire thing. If you still have the "obviously Gwyn's" soul from the Old Iron King, you can trade that in for a Dragonslayer Greatbow, which makes that entire area a cinch.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

This is beautiful and I think it belongs in the OP. Some folks won't be familiar with prezi(like me). Is there any way you could stick version numbers on this as you populate it and save it as an image?

Also as a design headsup, if you plan to fully populate it, it'll be important to distinguish NG+ enemies and items from NG. I might suggest starting with a completed NG version and then creating an NG+ addendum.

Yeah, it obviously needs a pretty large amount of revision. I'm sure various lists will allow me to change shapes of boxes and make things less cluttered, and there's still a lot of information to be added.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

laplace posted:

Edit: Chameleon is a PVP magic skill that camouflages you as set dressing in the environment to get the drop on fools. Yearn attracts enemies to it and it can be used to fool tons of enemies into attacking thin air.

I figured chameleon was for pvp but it's still a poor decision to have it do nothing for pve. And if yearn is supposed to do that then it's broken because I've tested it on the lowliest of enemies without any effect.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

NotAnArtist posted:

Imagine how I felt. I never found the second bonfire until after. Nearly frothing at the mouth by the time I finished, longbow and spear, like some sort of primal furious Rambo caster-killer.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
In regards to the Armor of Auros or whatever, what triggers the icon in the loading tooltip to change to the version you can see, rather than the ghostly outline? I thought that was a really cool little touch.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Yeah, it obviously needs a pretty large amount of revision. I'm sure various lists will allow me to change shapes of boxes and make things less cluttered, and there's still a lot of information to be added.

Do you think you could add next to the enemies what they drop if you kill them? I think it'd help a lot, like the Demon Pigs in Majula dropping Red Eye Orbs, and the Skeleton there dropping an Effigy.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Does summoning NPC help for a boss increase the boss's HP the way that summoning a player does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Great, now my ocd will kick in and I'll be bashing that spear into walls for half an hour trying to break that rock.

I wonder if the same is true for the old knight sets. The description text says something like 'in its final moments its true value shines through' or whatever, so if I dress in it and take an acid bath maybe I'll come out in animu armor

• Locked thread