Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

MinibarMatchman posted:

How the gently caress is this remotely like gears of war? You're retarded.

*Best Hayter snake voice*

GEARS?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Forget Kiefer Sutherland, Robin Akins Downes is the real start of the show and my God does he shine in deja vu. Jesus, he does impressions of the entire MGS1 cast. Except Mei Ling.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Spaceman Future! posted:

Some of the new animations are killer, crawling and then aiming a gun sideways will result in a natural leaning position where in earlier titles you could just kinda spin like a rotor, if you are trying to aim around a corner even if it looks like you have a clear shot sometimes the gun barrel is still partially obstructed, instead of just letting you waste ammo the game actually gives a hud indication that your bullet wont go where the cross-hair is. Hell gunplay in general is just cleaner while still keeping you just slow enough to be vulnerable. It may not be a full game but its really making me want one badly.

Yeah, they really have basically everything animated. I was prone once, on my stomach looking forward, and decided to rotate the screen left to follow a guy or something and ended up looking pretty much the opposite direction from where I started. When I left first person mode, Snake was laying on his back aiming over his stomach :stare: it is so awesome when games nail the little things like that, instead of just rotating your prone model on the ground.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spaceman Future! posted:

if you are trying to aim around a corner even if it looks like you have a clear shot sometimes the gun barrel is still partially obstructed, instead of just letting you waste ammo the game actually gives a hud indication that your bullet wont go where the cross-hair is. Hell gunplay in general is just cleaner while still keeping you just slow enough to be vulnerable. It may not be a full game but its really making me want one badly.

Peace Walker does this also and I'm really happy to hear it's in this too. After experiencing it I couldn't believe it wasn't already a standard in shooters years ago.

I'm glad to hear they have leaning animations and stuff for when you're on the ground. The way Snake/Raiden would lean slightly when shooting from offhanded cover in MGS2 and such blew me away at the time. But very few games actually put that kind of detail into their cover system, having you just spin out instead like you say for when you're laying down in old MGSes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I keep trying to do the CQC slam from a standing position but he always grabs the guy first to restrain him and then he does the throw. The manual says I can do it without restraining the guy first. What gives?

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

blackguy32 posted:

I keep trying to do the CQC slam from a standing position but he always grabs the guy first to restrain him and then he does the throw. The manual says I can do it without restraining the guy first. What gives?

I was having trouble with this until I realized prolonging your R1 (R2 on PS4) will make Snake restrain the guard. So to do CQC slam only, you need left stick in any direction + very very brief R1 tap. I had a problem with this because in the old games, R1 (regardless of press length) plus left stick direction would cause a CQC slam, so in GZ I was actually holding R1 down without realizing it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Trico posted:

I was having trouble with this until I realized prolonging your R1 (R2 on PS4) will make Snake restrain the guard. So to do CQC slam only, you need left stick in any direction + very very brief R1 tap. I had a problem with this because in the old games, R1 (regardless of press length) plus left stick direction would cause a CQC slam, so in GZ I was actually holding R1 down without realizing it.

This explains everything. Thanks.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Speedball posted:

Forget Kiefer Sutherland, Robin Akins Downes is the real start of the show and my God does he shine in deja vu. Jesus, he does impressions of the entire MGS1 cast. Except Mei Ling.

The "key?! Alright!" kills me every time.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Took 174 minutes of having a great time until I got the main mission over with, that's the kind of MGS player I am. 9% completion from that.

I actually liked these 60fps cutscenes, as for the ending: CSI quickly got gorier than that, not to mention films. People on other forums are loving special.. The wait is going to be long.

iDroid makes me want to get the cheapest 10" tablet required to run it, for the sake of TPP.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Did anyone else notice that the side ops form an arching storyline about the base itself? They're called "Pseudo-Historical Recreations" so I assume we're meant to see them as things that say the US military did (since BB would be in a coma by then) with certain dramatic alterations (originally there was a spy in there, but it wasn't Kojima, etc.). They take place over a specific period of time, too, starting in 1974, close to the events of Ground Zeroes, climaxing in 1975 with the destruction of the base. There's also a progression in the missions from "Is this place a new black site?" to "It's a black site, but what are they doing?" and then to other branches of the government finding out and wanting it restructured or destroyed. It gave the side ops a little more importance/interest than rather if they were just random missions like the Monster Hunter ops in PW.

The arc itself expands on the ending text in the Ground Zeroes mission about how everyone starts eyeing the place up after MSF is destroyed.

Similarly, it's why Deja Vu is separated from the missions as an "Extra Op" - it doesn't fit with the arc.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 20, 2014

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Just finished Deja Vu side op. Goofy fun. Only had to cheat for a few questions, I guess my MGS knowledge is pretty decent. I glanced at the hard mode quiz, though, and wow. Some of those questions :psyduck: Oh well, 36% completion now and I've probably played 5+ hours. Definitely getting my money's worth. I'm constantly blown away by how pretty the PS4 version is, too.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Took 174 minutes of having a great time until I got the main mission over with, that's the kind of MGS player I am. 9% completion from that.

I actually liked these 60fps cutscenes, as for the ending: CSI quickly got gorier than that, not to mention films. People on other forums are loving special.. The wait is going to be long.

iDroid makes me want to get the cheapest 10" tablet required to run it, for the sake of TPP.

Yeah I still haven't beaten the game in less than 15x minutes. Granted, the second time I decided to extract all the guards to see if anything cool happens, it doesn't.

I just find myself compelled to keep playing this and trying to beat my last score/time. For me that's what this game does well, it's engaging enough that I'll keep playing it over and over. The soldier ai really helps to make each play through somewhat different from the previous, so that each time, the same tactic may not work. Granted, it still has the "oh well, we can't find the guy that shot our friends in the face, back to normal." Which still irks me a bit, but it's a game. I do think it'd be cool if there was option/mode to have persistent alerts. It'd help me to further suspend my disbelief.

The companion app is really a great addition. You probably don't need a 10" tablet unless you're blind. I'm running it on a Nexus 7 and it's perfectly legible. I can also run it on my phone a Galaxy S3, but the text is a bit les legible, however it's still incredibly convenient being able to run around and fiddle about in the idroid simultaneously.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

dog nougat posted:

The companion app is really a great addition. You probably don't need a 10" tablet unless you're blind. I'm running it on a Nexus 7 and it's perfectly legible. I can also run it on my phone a Galaxy S3, but the text is a bit les legible, however it's still incredibly convenient being able to run around and fiddle about in the idroid simultaneously.

I mainly want a higher than what the cheap small units carry resolution.

The GZ Android/iOS app minigame of Mother Base benefits nicely from playing GZ. You can build freaking Gekko in AFV factories!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MrLonghair posted:

The GZ Android/iOS app minigame of Mother Base benefits nicely from playing GZ. You can build freaking Gekko in AFV factories!

Oh man it benefits from playing GZ? That's amazing!

I wish I had a bigger screen than my iPhone 5 to play it on, my eyes hurt having to look at the tiny font and I end up tapping things I don't want when I'm trying to call a helicopter or something.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Too bad your soldiers die on every single mission unless you grind them up in the most tedious way possible.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

Nexus 7 tablets are pretty cheap and high quality. The original model of Nexus 7 runs mostly everything available on the Android Market still, though it is showing its age a little. The newer models which I believe are the only commerically available ones should run basically everything. It runs the companion app without hassle.

I've just finished my first run of the game and I'm hyped for the next game. I'm going to jump into the side ops later today, or possibly tomorrow. I'm eager as hell to experience them, but sadly, I've got a pretty bad cold and can't quite give them the concentration they deserve at the moment. :(

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Since most people seem to have one of the PlayStation versions I figured I'd give a little synopsis of the Xbox mission. A couple of mechanics really change up the way Jamais Vu plays compared to the rest of the game. The first thing is that Raiden's sprint is significantly faster than Snake's, so as long as a guard isn't already looking in your direction you can run directly up to him and grab him without the guard even having a chance to turn around and trigger focus mode. Raiden also has enhanced CQC strength, so a single punch will send a guy flying like twenty feet and knock him out.

Most of the base has been taken over by Snatchers, but there's still a few normal guards left over. You can identify if a guard is a human or a Snatcher by either tagging them, which will either show you the normal blue human skeleton or a green Snatcher skeleton. You can also interrogate an enemy to find out if they're human or Snatcher, because the grunts Snatchers give out has a robotic filter over it. Snatchers are immune to tranquilizers and physical combat, so you have to either use lethal guns or slit their throats, which will make them burst into flames like the FROG soldiers in MGS4, and their bodies will disappear so there's no threat of a Snatcher corpse being found by other patrolling enemies. Although they can't be knocked out by CQC, they'll still be knocked over like any regular guard, they just start getting up immediately.

The mission requires you to eliminate all twelve enemies in the area, though you can just knock out or tranq the few humans that are left. After you have the chopper comes down to get you, but more Snatchers show up and you have to fight them off and protect the helicopter. There's an achievement for getting through the whole mission with zero alerts, which I haven't done yet because I always get noticed at some point during the forced combat section, but it's definitely doable. There's some fun dialog referencing both Snatcher and Metal Gear Rising, but watching a playthrough of Deja Vu to compare it to Jamais Vu has a lot less fun in-jokes. There's still some decent stuff though, like Miller telling Raiden he can't take self-repair units from the Snatchers and Creeping Silence playing the first time you tag a Snatcher, and the entire intro cutscene is pretty hype. The music is mostly switched to instrumental music from Metal Gear Rising, which is a really nice touch, and the helicopter you come in on has the PlatinumGames logo which made me fanboy out a bit. Nice to see them get their props despite not having any involvement in Ground Zeroes.

I wish they'd done a bit more with the mission though. Aside from the new sprint Raiden plays exactly like Big Boss, just tougher. One thing that really sticks out to me is that he still uses the same night vision as Big Boss instead of the AR Mode from Rising. He also never talks throughout the mission, despite them seemingly having gotten Quinton Flynn for his interrogation lines. (It's a bit hard to tell, Raiden's voice has a robotic filter over it for some reason) Snatchers also act exactly like normal guards, which makes sense when they're trying to disguise themselves, but not once the alert has been raised at the end of the mission and you're only fighting Snatcher reinforcements. And of course it's extremely disappointing that you don't get to use Raiden's sword, though somewhat understandable. Beating the mission on normal unlocked Raiden's white armor, and on hard you get the green commando armor.

Overall it's a pretty fun mission, but a bit disappointing. Still pretty happy with it, but I wish they'd done some more custom work to make Raiden and the Snatchers feel different, and had a bit more plot to it and a few more fun references.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 20, 2014

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

So it turns out that 40 Kills and an E Rank can earn you free reign over the base in the GZ Mission on Normal. Enemy radio chatter went silent and I stood in the middle of the map and listened to all my tapes while Chico, Paz, and the POWs sat in the cave waiting for me to come and call the chopper.

Silver Striker posted:

Just finished Deja Vu side op. Goofy fun. Only had to cheat for a few questions, I guess my MGS knowledge is pretty decent. I glanced at the hard mode quiz, though, and wow. Some of those questions :psyduck:
I managed to ace both the normal and hard quizzes without cheating. :smuggo:

Also, I'm going to echo the general sentiment that the iDroid app is tempting me to get my hands on a cheap smart device.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Speedball posted:

No he does Mei Ling too IIRC.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The first thing is that Raiden's sprint is significantly faster than Snake's, so as long as a guard isn't already looking in your direction you can run directly up to him and grab him without the guard even having a chance to turn around and trigger focus mode.
Yeah the same is true for Grey Fox, the skin you unlock for beating Déjà Vu on Hard.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The music is mostly switched to instrumental music from Metal Gear Rising, which is a really nice touch, and the helicopter you come in on has the PlatinumGames logo which made me fanboy out a bit. Nice to see them get their props despite not having any involvement in Ground Zeroes.
:aaaaa:

Is it the music from MGR's title menu? Or one of the boss battle themes?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terror Sweat posted:

Too bad your soldiers die on every single mission unless you grind them up in the most tedious way possible.

Good to know I'm not the only one having issues with that.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Platform-exclusive DLC is stupid.

Also can you import your own music? I want to show the guards that out here only the strong survive.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh man it benefits from playing GZ? That's amazing!

Big thing is that it unlocks the five hour speed-up timer and makes it seemingly infinite, it also adds a good charge of hours. The Gekko seem to automatically drop into the build list of any AFV factory you have, 120 unit cost. Just a question of time until maximizing everything then making sure the save data stays safe, it's going to add something for TPP.

It was worth the pain it was to get PS4 and phone to play nice with the cheap wifi router I have. Maybe a 7" tablet could do a good job at future titles takes on this after all, was disappointed to find my VITA couldn't do anything but do glorious beautiful OLED remote play.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The speed-up timer was unlocked for me as soon as I unlocked the app, even without having linked the game and app.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Metal Gear Rising is the only game disc I've actually lost in like 5+ years and it's loving killing me. That game is so drat great.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

MinibarMatchman posted:

How the gently caress is this remotely like gears of war? You're retarded.

There's a cover system man. Total ripoff!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If anything it reminds me of Far Cry 3, which is a good thing.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:aaaaa:
Is it the music from MGR's title menu? Or one of the boss battle themes?

The title menu. There aren't any boss themes unfortunately. :(

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
So I found a music cassette (if I hear Here's To You one more time I'm going to kill Paz myself) which I wasn't expecting, and leads me to a very important question: can I find the ZEKE battle version of Love Deterrence? I was pretty disappointed that the one you start with was the acoustic version. Heavens Divide is working pretty well as my chopper theme, but I gots to have that j-pop.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Strange Quark posted:

The title menu. There aren't any boss themes unfortunately. :(
Aw man, running around Camp Omega as the Cyborg Ninja while Rules of Nature plays in the Déjà Vu mission would be loving killer.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 20, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kak posted:

There's a cover system man. Total ripoff!

Speaking of which, weren't Winbackon N64 and MGS2/Headhunter (they released in like the same week) the first 3D games ever to even do that?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Metal Gear Rising is the only game disc I've actually lost in like 5+ years and it's loving killing me. That game is so drat great.

I lent my PS3 copy to a friend who lives quite far away and haven't heard from him for a while, even though he said he was going to send it back. I have it on PC so it's not the worst thing ever, but I share your pain a little.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah the same is true for Grey Fox, the skin you unlock for beating Déjà Vu on Hard.

Do you have to get a certain rating to get this? I beat it on hard and didn't get it...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which, weren't Winbackon N64 and MGS2/Headhunter (they released in like the same week) the first 3D games ever to even do that?

Ahem, MGS1 let you take cover behind walls. :colbert: It wasn't meant for combat, mind you, but MGS1 is totally a 3D game and it has cover. According to Wikipedia though, System Shock was the first 3D game to have a cover system.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So where can I find what unlocks what? Specifically Why I should bother with hard mode, being nonlethal, stuff like that aside from trophies?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AllisonByProxy posted:

Do you have to get a certain rating to get this? I beat it on hard and didn't get it...
Just recreate every scene and then ace the quiz at the end of the mission.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

AllisonByProxy posted:

You've got to complete the hard version of the quiz that you get when you reenact all the scenes.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Haha so I'm going to have to beat the entire MGS series in one go to complete Ground Zeroes after all!

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I'm having issues with some text in the game showing up as blocks- mostly the rank and credit text. I hope my PS3 isn't overheating :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Oh my god, a Metal Gear game where I'm not fighting the controls :syoon:
Normally I find the alert phase kind of terrible, but it's actually pretty fun to play cat and mouse in the tent villages, it's really tense, and the guard chatter makes it extra cool.

• Locked thread