Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

zachol posted:

Just putting this out there: some freaky otherworldly demon thing said he's going to consume the world in fire and we're dicking around with this Barnabus chucklefuck, trying to help out Richard with something he really should be able to figure out himself.
I am still not entirely sure why we can't just go, kill Barnabus, and bribe the dwarves to ignore it. Barnabus is in a fairly privileged position to take over the Society that I don't think some other guy could repeat, and Richard is, like, an important hero person who should be able to smooth it over.

I mean, should we be escalating this "heads up the world is literally going to end" business up to someone... more important than Richard? Or what?

The whole point of us belonging to a benevolent but ultimately legal paramilitary organization, is that we kind of have to at least try to follow some vague interpretation of the laws of the society we're operating in. Marisa's working on a plan to skirt the law on it's edges, because that's what we were asked to do.

If you guys want to set the city on fire trying to stop a guy because you think he's a villain, and it turns out you were wrong, the rest of this game is probably going to end up with us running from marshalls. Even if you're right, I remember Doom particularly emphasizing how hard Richard had to work to keep everybody out of jail, and Barnabus is more connected than Carbon was. If you all want to be the A Team let's at least take a vote on it?

I do want to point out, though, we are kind of now and always have been working for Richard, and the devils we are chasing are a whole lot smaller in stature than Ostorn's wall. (The best thing you guys have right now is an overheard conversation and some vague insinuations, Doom could be throwing us a curveball) At the very least if you guys want to convince Marisa to get on board with this please come up with a plan that doesn't involve us all having a last stand in a barn on the edge of Geareg and 50 Dwarven Defenders with torches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
My Dwarven plot might work. If its taken seriously, the guard will tromp all over the brewery and be forced to inspect every batch of Goldenbrew, repeatedly, for any taint/poison. Given how slow the dwarven system works this will likely take weeks, delaying any distribution of the brew AND making any already distributed brew suspect. At the very least it will set their time table off, and the second part will cause the guard to increase security for the diplomats meeting and search suspicious people.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Well I don't really mean in relation to the recent stuff about his plan, I just mean in general it feels like dealing with Barnabus shouldn't be our highest priority or really our responsibility at all.
I don't think Barnabus is the big villain. If anything, I'm not sure why Richard is the "good guy." He's a blackmailing, power-grabbing jerk, and the Society's basically just propped up vaguely blundering murderers (us) and seized and gathered dangerous flayer tech. The only reason Barnabus is worse is because he's (apparently) going to kill people while trying to seize control of the organization itself. If he'd stuck to legal methods and not hired psychotic freaks who blew up a train I'd... have a hard time seeing a problem with the situation, I guess?

It's more that it feels a little tiresome when the other side can blow up a train while nothing happens, while we have to put up with being questioned for being near attacking and destroying some blood orbs. Barnabus (or at least his side) is the one who escalated to blowing things up first, and it's irritating that we can't respond in kind.
Like, if we're doing sneaky politics I'd wish it had just stayed at sneaky politics.

e: Blarg, I'm not trying to be a butt about this. I probably should've just started with "it's kind of irritating that Barnabus can do all this nonsense while we can't really approach it" in the first place.

zachol fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 14, 2014

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Everyone else gets arrested, Lefty and Marisa continue to save the world thanks to some airtight alibis.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rtwo posted:

Everyone else gets arrested, Lefty and Marisa continue to save the world thanks to some airtight alibis.

What about those in the ghost house?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Tinsy gets harvested, Hecate gets possessed by her evil aunt or something, Runebot gets rebound and is the same old loveable, bumbling robot but "evil".

e: Or buddy cops.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Hey y'all I've been feeling slower than usual and kinda burnt out on DMing a bit, but not in a "well here's why I'm cancelling the game or going on hiatus" bit. I feel like this current arc started out as a really strong and exciting idea but has gotten mired down in some tedium.

Granted I also think some player directions have been pretty bad on causing this. Like Marisa's original plan of "take 2 goons, have a solo-venture, sell some items to bait out some low-level fish to hunt big-fish" becoming "rerecruit my entire gang", or Hecate and Tinsy's teleport(though I made an overall story-telling decision that I think has let me recover strongly from that), or trying to keep things interesting for Thad/Tinsy as the new guys, or trying to keep the pacing on Lefty's stuff consistent and interesting.

Of course maybe I'm over-thinking it all and in a crappy mood this week and shouldn't feel bummed that I slow updated once over the course of a year. Wondering what anyone else thinks.

Also idly considering just setting things a bit more on rails and using forward momentum to clear the bog. Granted, once you guys contacted Richard with what you knew, he did have good reason to tell you all to go storm the Goldbrew Brewery. I might've ruined the wording on what he said though... "don't get caught before you're done" meant raid the place, but finish the raid before the Guard arrive. Not "don't raid it if you'll get caught at all."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Awww, really? I'm sorry if I helped pull the group apart...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

It's fine, Hecate/Tinsy is the arc I've recovered from the best. Secret DM reasons.

Well, the not-so-secret DM reason is that I originally planned for the Blood and Empire group to fight more dramatically with the Ashen Witch, but then that group completely died. It has been a good recovery of material.

I plan for a lot of things to varying degrees.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
I honestly kind of thought giving the deed as a plot hook with someone who knows Teleport in the party was intentional. :shobon:

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Sorry we've been kinda slow. Thadius is just trying to get the last pieces he needs to hide a bomb in the brewery. Because even if we raid the place and the guard is called in, its no guarentee they'll find anything wrong with the brew. The package and note, along with the bomb part of it coming true, should make them take the tainted brew part seriously and stop it from being consumed.

Then when we raid he is going to plant the bomb and after we leave send the package to the guard.

Edit: since stone shape is illegal, what if we bought a scroll of summon monster II, used it to summon a small earth elemental, the gave it the bomb stuff and had it sink into the brewery floor?

Quornes fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 21, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Man if only I hadn't rebuilt to get rid of my infinite Summon Monster 2 ability. I didn't really expect a situation where we would need the earth glide to come up.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Sleeping on this post made me rethink it

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 21, 2014

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Sleeping on a post sounds really uncomfortable, anyway.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Quornes posted:

Sorry we've been kinda slow. Thadius is just trying to get the last pieces he needs to hide a bomb in the brewery. Because even if we raid the place and the guard is called in, its no guarentee they'll find anything wrong with the brew. The package and note, along with the bomb part of it coming true, should make them take the tainted brew part seriously and stop it from being consumed.

Then when we raid he is going to plant the bomb and after we leave send the package to the guard.

Edit: since stone shape is illegal, what if we bought a scroll of summon monster II, used it to summon a small earth elemental, the gave it the bomb stuff and had it sink into the brewery floor?

Just so you know, you already have enough dynamite to destroy the Brewery if you get in nice and deep and set it at a nice spot. Dwarven Beverages being Ridiculous Percent Proof and all(even the bad ones.)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
You guys all forgot you came to the lower city to find that Drow girl didn't you? :allears:

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Nobody told Thadius :shrug:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
What? Nessa told Thad like at least twice we were trying to get some info about a drow girl.

I mean I'm pretty sure that happened.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Oh you're right my bad.

Edit: Ok so Thads plan right now is to meet up with Marisa, have her make the bomb timer, then meet back up with Vanessa and go raid the brewery, plant the bomb set to go off the next day at midnight, and afterwards terrify someone off the street into delivering the package to the Guard

Quornes fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 21, 2014

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Zachol, opposed strength test to see if the whip breaks free or gives up and returns to Thadius?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

What? Does this thing even have a strength?
I mean conceptually I was imagining a grapple vs the whip's CMD. Presumably the thing is lashing at Nessa for 1d4ish damage (1d4+1d6-2?), but even with the AoO Nessa would have +14 against its CMD of, like, 11 or something.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
It acts as Thad's animal companion, I gave it the same stats as the constrictor snake. Which gives it an insane 26 strength. It also has improved grapple. Plus, its a 15 feet whip that can stretch into 25 feet. I'm not really sure how you could grapple it when it can just tie itself around you.

But mechanics wise it gets +16 for grapple attempts and the CMD is 25. So you could grapple it yeah.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 25, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Oh, it's your AC?

24 which I guess is a miss against CMD 25.
e: It's presumably much less with the AoO damage.

zachol fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 25, 2014

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
AoO damage?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Attempting a grapple without the feat draws an aoo. The snake will almost certainly hit and deal its damage, and that damage subtracts from Nessa's maneuver result. It'll end up like under 10 or so.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Eh let's just say it didn't do a AoO and simply wriggled free from under your foot.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Thad pushed the wrong button

FTR doom; This should be the first that Margo and Kitten have ever heard of how Martin died.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
How old is Marisa anyways that shes saying Thadius was in diapers? I never specified his age but I've been thinking of him as ~25

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Now that I think of it, I've been imagining Vanessa as in her late 40's while also somehow thinking she got involved in war around 13-14. Which doesn't quite make sense but presumably she was doing stuff before the proper flayer war started (dealing with "war" in general before then).
Hm.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
The war only lasted 7 years though. We're in year 902, and the Illithids invaded in 895

Quornes fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 27, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

That's it? Huh. I guess Nessa's in her middish 30's then (still youngish and idealistic at the start etc).

Anyway, Marisa must just being snarky or something.

zachol fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 27, 2014

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Quornes posted:

How old is Marisa anyways that shes saying Thadius was in diapers? I never specified his age but I've been thinking of him as ~25

Marisa is around 90 years old and was living in Geareg before the war. She doesn't have a great grasp of human aging because you guys seem to go from being babies to being old men really rapidly. She's the equivalent of somebody in their late 20s or just into 30 by naga standards.

Having said that, most of it's snark. The point is that when you were a teenager still backtalking your mom she was working as a mechanical engineer helping Geareg's manufacturing corporations build and design heavy weapons, and she doesn't appreciate the condescension. I am going to warn you out of character - if you keep going down this road, one of us is going to end up dead. This is really bad territory to be walking with Marisa, the war is a sensitive issue for her.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Taking a small break, updates resume Saturday.

quote:

I am going to warn you out of character - if you keep going down this road, one of us is going to end up dead. This is really bad territory to be walking with Marisa, the war is a sensitive issue for her.

clam down drama hounds

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Haha, fair enough. I'll exit Marisa from the situation.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sorry about the delays y'all, I should have my cards in order now.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

^^^ haha yeah right you DM, you!

So the day my vacation started I nearly got the flu. I was slacking before then but I was supposed to catch up Tuesday, drat it.

Catching up by Friday night, promise!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
You don't make a single in character post in days and the first post you make after coming back is loving up negotiations by attacking for no reason?

Are you loving kidding me, dude? This was our first and possibly ONLY opportunity to find out what was going on. You could have at least consulted us.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Going on hiatus.

No wait I'm just tired as always and going slower than usual.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 20, 2014

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I was thinking of shifting to 4th Edition D&D, I've got some complaints that Pathfinder isn't the best/most fun system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

To be honest I'm liking as it is on Pathfinder, but if enough people want it to change...

E: Also I have no idea how to translate Hecate's build unless I make a hybrid or something. And there's another whole thing with magic items and stuff.

• Locked thread