Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Latest Episode: Episode 30: Disconnected in Antarctica feat. Kaubocks

I recognize like one person in this picture.

What is Saints Row?

Saints Row is a goofy as hell franchise developed by Volition, Inc, formerly published by THQ before they went under and currently published by Deep Silver that is dedicated to saying :fuckoff: to what’s acceptable and realistic in video games. You play as the leader of a gang/massive media mogul named The Third Street Saints and the main conflicts of the games involve bids for power in whatever city is the main setting of the game. It started as a serious GTA clone, but then it got a little goofier with Saints Row 2 (don’t quote me on either, I haven’t played the first two). Saints Row the Third decided that any of the seriousness left in Saints Row 2 had to go to make room for crazy awesome and/or stupid stunts, like skydiving a tank or taking a chainsaw to hordes of luchadors for the spectacle. People took pretty fondly to the craziness, which is presumably why the series got crazier and crazier. That said, what was Volition to do after the insanity that was SR3? They made this.

Saints Row IV decided that Saints Row the Third wasn’t crazy enough and took a sledgehammer to what was left of the rationality of this franchise. That gang leader you play as? They're the president of the USA. Your main competition for power? A loving alien empire. Your tools? Superpowers. This game is all kinds of :krad: and I’m here to hopefully show that off. This game was meant to be DLC for Saints Row the Third but for whatever reason, the DLC plan was scrapped and rolled into a whole new game. As such, it feels more like an expansion to the Third than an entirely new game, but it's still good fun.

So how will this LP work?

One of the best features that the franchise has is its co-op. Your co-op partner is seamlessly added into the story by being completely ignored so no one questions why this second person came out of nowhere but is on equal terms to the boss. That said, this will be a co-op LP that I’m opening the floodgates to for viewer participation. Got this game on PC? Send me a PM or ask nicely in the thread and come join me in various shenanigans! (EDIT: Don't worry about having a fully decked out boss, the game locks you out of using powers I haven't unlocked.) Alternatively, I have a twitter that I can be reached at. Also, because this game has a fantastic character creation tool, you can request I turn my boss into various characters, so long as you provide me with a reference picture! (EDIT: Please wrap your images in [timg] tags) I'll try to run it as one episode of progress and the next of side missions and stuff. Let's have a good time!

Spoilers?

:siren:I'd rather not see any regarding the story, but if you must, use spoiler tags.:siren:

Table of Contents

Homie Conversations - When you have two homies together on the field, chances are they'll have a quick conversation with each other! I'm uploading them as we unlock each homie and there'll be transcriptions too, for those who can't use tindeck for whatever reason.

VIEWER SUBMISSIONS AND OTHER THINGS
Special guest Tiggum shows us how screwy co-op can be with select clips from his guest episodes.

Jobbo_Fett knows how to exit a Zamboni in style. :krad:

Jobbo_Fett and I did something terrible
Retsupurae Gamingo

Panzer Skank has found that maybe she's not the only one who has game breaking powers.

So this is what it's like to be orbital launched! Thanks Panzer!

Panzer and I are amazed at this dude backing up.

Follow my example. Don't jump into cars that are being flipped over.

Panzer Skank demonstrates that she might be seeing things differently on her end than on the player's...

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Boss Requests
  • Shrek
  • Doctor Manhattan
  • Any Doctor Robotnik of my choice (with one vote for 2006 Eggman)
  • Shinya Arino
  • Kaine
  • Kane
  • The Boss
  • A US President of my choice
  • Kanji Tatsumi
  • Carmen Sandiego
  • The Medic
  • Kazuhira Miller (Still wondering why he changed his name to MacDonell, Kojima!)
  • Travis Touchdown
  • The Mask
  • Captain Walker
  • Pam Poovey
  • Vince McMahon
  • Ace Ventura
  • The Ultimate Warrior
  • Kate Archer

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 3, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, this looks crazy. Can't wait for it to turn out to just be a movie.

Now, for our president. The world is in peril! Who will save us from this commiealien menace?

The one!

The only!

e: I guess too many of those full size would be a bit much.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 19, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

say vary your boss's appearance.
Simply because the option to exists.

All the time shrek.

Because Shreks are forever.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 19, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shrek's first on the queue since I apparently signed a blood pact in the sandcastle, Doctor Manhattan's coming up after. Also, for anyone who wants to request a Boss, please use [timg] tags instead of [img], I didn't realize how big these pictures would get. Added a note about that to the OP.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why isn't Oleg on that title picture? I hope he's fine. :ohdear:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I pretty much lost it at 'No Infidels beyond this point' and kept laughing till the end.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Air is lava! posted:

Why isn't Oleg on that title picture? I hope he's fine. :ohdear:

Oleg doesn't ride in regular cars, silly.

I'm sure he's tailing the motorcade in the presidential pick-up truck.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
If you let the last alien ship formation form up they make a box and start sliding back and forth while moving down a little every time they change direction, Just like the aliens from Space Invaders!

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
The character customisation in SR3 and SR4 were kind of disappointing in that you were unable to make anything less than someone who spent all of their time in the gym or all of the time in a bakery. Never again shall Smack McDaniel, the worlds most British Heroin addict, rampage though an imaginary city.

Good start to the LP.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'd like to see your finest Robotnik.

No reference picture for this one, because REALLY.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Are we talking Classic Era, Modern Era or Sonic Boom Robotnik?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Are we talking Classic Era, Modern Era or Sonic Boom Robotnik?

Any given Robotnik you like, which is part of why I hesitate to provide an image. Go hog wild!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ChaosArgate posted:

This game was meant to be DLC for Saints Row the Third but for whatever reason, the DLC plan was scrapped and rolled into a whole new game. As such, it feels more like an expansion to the Third than an entirely new game, but it's still good fun.

People keep saying this but it's absolutely not true. Firstly, SR4 adds more new content than SR3, so the idea that it's a glorified expansion is pretty ridiculous right off the bat, but the basic idea that it's the planned Enter the Dominatrix expansion for SR3 expanded into a full game is wrong as well. It contains elements of that planned expansion as they had already started on it, but it's a different thing. The Enter the Dominatrix DLC for SR4 shows off some of what they had planned for the SR3 expansion, and it includes different characters, different enemies and a totally different villain to SR4.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Tiggum posted:

People keep saying this but it's absolutely not true. Firstly, SR4 adds more new content than SR3, so the idea that it's a glorified expansion is pretty ridiculous right off the bat, but the basic idea that it's the planned Enter the Dominatrix expansion for SR3 expanded into a full game is wrong as well. It contains elements of that planned expansion as they had already started on it, but it's a different thing. The Enter the Dominatrix DLC for SR4 shows off some of what they had planned for the SR3 expansion, and it includes different characters, different enemies and a totally different villain to SR4.

Well, what I meant was that the planned DLC got some of its elements rolled into Saints Row IV when it got cancelled. I still maintain that SR4 kind of feels like an expansion pack to SR3 though. It totally isn't, but it kind of feels like one to me.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Before I request a Boss, do you plan on using any mods or DLC? My Boss ideas may not be possible in the vanilla version.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm not planning on using mods, but I'm willing to get DLC for the sake of the LP! :v:

Also I found this yesterday, thought it was fitting.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

In any case, I recommend having Arino's next challenge to be defeating Zinyak.

You may have to take liberties with the outfit.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mr Tastee posted:

In any case, I recommend having Arino's next challenge to be defeating Zinyak.

You may have to take liberties with the outfit.

Fixed your imgur links there, you forgot to append .jpg to the end of your links. In any case, I'll try my best to get the Kacho aboard!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm not planning on using mods, but I'm willing to get DLC for the sake of the LP! :v:

Also I found this yesterday, thought it was fitting.

Man, even MATH hates Pierce.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Can you wear berets in Saints Row 4? I was irrationaly disapointed, when I found out, there weren't any in 3.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChaosArgate posted:

Fixed your imgur links there, you forgot to append .jpg to the end of your links. In any case, I'll try my best to get the Kacho aboard!

Also going for the Kacho Arino

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

Can you wear berets in Saints Row 4? I was irrationaly disapointed, when I found out, there weren't any in 3.

Sorry, but berets still aren't a thing. :(

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I second but raise you by this: Recreate Sonic 2006 Eggman :getin:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Female Boss 1 is a Laura Bailey voiced murderous sociopath with a heart of gold and a vocabulary of purest sewage.

So, pretty much Kaine from Nier with more access to firearms and better people skills.

On these grounds, I vote Kaine.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Talking about Kaine, you know who we really need as a boss? Kane.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Man, I have two requests and I'm not sure which one I want more.

Option 1: The Boss, that is from MGS3.

Option 2: Any US president of your choice. Hell, if you weren't taking lots of requests already, I'd say start with George Washington and keep working your way down the line.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I reckon there's a good case to be made for trying to recreate any character that one of the voice actors has previously portrayed.

(The 7 voices are: Troy Baker, Robin Atkin Downes, Kenn Michael, Laura Bailey, Diane Michelle, Sumalee Montano and, well, Nolan North)

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
^In that case. Kanji Bossumi. :getin:

Also I demand a Carmen Sandiego boss. It'd fit perfectly.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Fedule posted:

I reckon there's a good case to be made for trying to recreate any character that one of the voice actors has previously portrayed.

(The 7 voices are: Troy Baker, Robin Atkin Downes, Kenn Michael, Laura Bailey, Diane Michelle, Sumalee Montano and, well, Nolan North)

- The Medic from TF2
- Kazuhita Miller from Peace Walker
- Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes

The only downside to this is that, regardless of the choice, they'd have to be inexplicably cockney.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 21, 2014

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
I feel that The Mask would fit into the Saints incredibly well.

Not only that playing dress-up with him is great because you know there is not an outfit in the world he wouldn't wear with style.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Fedule posted:

Captain Walker

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Bluhman posted:

- The Medic from TF2
- Kazuhita Miller from Peace Walker
- Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes

The only downside to this is that, regardless of the choice, they'd have to be inexplicably cockney.

You know, at some point I was going to do Travis anyway. :v: Also, sorry to say, but I don't have the DLC TF2 heads so I'm not going to be able to use the Medic mascot head. I'll try to make my boss look as close as I can though!

SaDiStz0r
Mar 9, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

Talking about Kaine, you know who we really need as a boss? Kane.

Seconding this for sure!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alright, the list of boss requests has been updated! Also I just picked up the two story DLCs, so they'll be covered in the LP at some undisclosed point in time. That being said, should I show off a blind run of those DLC missions (they'll be done with a co-commentator who's familiar with them), or should I play through first off camera and basically just do them like the rest of the LP?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Can't comment on that. However, please change the voice of the boss every couple of missions to show off each personality.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I don't care what he looks like, I just love Troy Baker (the current Voice Actor you're using) and will be super happy the more you use his voice. :allears: Looking forward to this, just on account of the fact that I will never play these games but I kind of wonder what they're like because of the hype surrounding them.

Edit: Double Nine is right though, in reality. From what I can see, the voices they got for the Boss are all really cool, so I wouldn't be too disappointed hearing them all.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh no, I am definitely going to show off all of the Boss voices to match their appearance, don't worry about that. Although, there should probably be at least one more female boss on the request list!

Edit: Quick, someone check my math. I did Pierce's question with his planar lamina and found the center of mass to be (sqrt(2), 6/5).

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 21, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ChaosArgate posted:

Although, there should probably be at least one more female boss on the request list!

Pam from Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Seconded.

• Locked thread