Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

For the record: this is what our new tank looks like. Well, before we strap the main gun to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh.

Then I change my vote to The Quad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gracias, king of tanks.:yum:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Whenever the main character does his elipses routine I can only read it as him just staring at whoever he's talking to, unable to believe what he heard, or just glaring at them.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You know what that thing with a gun reminds me of? Borderlands. And that reminds me of Claptrap.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
So our first tank is, in point of fact, not at all a tank, but a junked up hotrod you loot from a scrap heap.

This game :allears:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Interceptor :colbert:

Alternatively, Ford Falcon

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

For the record: this is what our new tank looks like. Well, before we strap the main gun to it.
Slightly less impressive than I expected. Very well, in that case I am changing my vote to Herbie.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I recall reading about this at the same time as Steambot Chronicles. I was waiting for it so long but it was never released in Scandinavia.:(

I also vote for Tetanus, since that is what we'll likely aquire if we drive around in that junker.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
That's quite the sandbuggy, there. I do like The Quad.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Mors Rattus posted:

You do name your character first. I just named him Hunter on the first run. In the second run, she calls him Max.

D'oh, yep you actually showed the 'please enter your name' screen and I missed it.

Derek Barona posted:

It's been years since I played this game, but wouldn't Doombuggy be a good one for the first vehicle?

Thirding this.

Bart Roberts III
Jun 28, 2008
I'm going to agree with The Quad.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
I was originally going to suggest the Guderian, but yeah, after actually seeing that tank, I'll throw in behind The Quad

Confused Enormatons
Apr 12, 2007
Doombuggy has a nice ring to it. I also like The Lancia or Stratos.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Rangpur posted:

Slightly less impressive than I expected. Very well, in that case I am changing my vote to Herbie.

It does get replaced in rather short order, if you know what you're doing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Updates fast this week because I'm on break.

Update Three: Oops, I Died

Okay. Let's head to Junk Mountain! You can get there via Junkyard or the World Map. Once inside, we find a kid who is very important right now.

Boy: There's not much left, so you'll really have to look around. Lemme know what you find. I'm willing to trade for some good junk.

This kid is correct - there isn't much treasure to be found in Junk Mountain. He's also important for when we finish. We'll be trading Junk to him for items.

Soldier: Don't bother me... I'm trying to plan my revenge.

This is a hint: if you run into three Junk Zombies, run the gently caress away. They are the only mob that shows up in trios, and they will kill your rear end dead. Speaking of fighting, let's take a look at it!

System's fairly simple. We can attack, defend to reduce damage, run the hell away, use items or use skills. Drive is grayed-out because we have no vehicle. It would toggle whether we are in or out of the vehicle. This enemy is a Psycho Cycler. It is a robotic kitchen knife on a unicycle. In the upper right, you will see icons. The icon furthest right is the person who gets the next turn.

It is the weakest enemy in the game and is not even able to break our Protector, which reduces the damage to 1.

On death, it explodes. Every enemy explodes. Even the biological ones.

And we get our rewards! We head on and take a fork early in the dungeon. There is no map for Junk Mountain and the place is a giant mess of brown, so I won't be trying to chart my path here at all. We find this guy.

Hunter: Th-There's no treasure past here, OK? Just turn around, already!

We can't get past him now - Max is too polite to shove him out of the way. So we turn and go. For now.

This is what treasure in Junk Mountain is. You find chunks of rubble that are slightly different than the ones that make up the walls, and you shove them in your pocket. After we get through the place, we'll return to the kid at the front of the dungeon and trade them for items we can use to make things later. We head through the dungeon, fighting monsters. Most are simple enough, but some are annoying.

Monsters of Junk Mountain

Giant Slugs are your best bet for farming cash in Junk Mountain. They have one attack: Spew. They spit damage at you.

Spider Tanks aren't - they might be the bounty mob right now, but they're very annoying before you get a vehicle. They can take two hits from Max on foot, see. This is a problem, because they don't attack. Rather, they either use Wander About, which makes them walk in place, or Flee, which gets them out of the fight without any rewards.

Psycho Cyclers are, well, trash.

Scrap Zombies are also trash. They can attack, but they also often use Groan, a move that makes them do nothing.

Their recolor, the Junk Zombie, is much more dangerous. Do not face them without a vehicle. Eventually, after fighting monsters and gathering Junk, we find this guy.

Hunter: Well, if I were you, I'd turn around right now. Seriously.
: ......
Hunter: Trash Heap's over there, y'see? You've heard of it, right? I thought I'd make some extra cash by killing it, but there's no way I can do that all by myself. Now, if I could just find a vehicle, it'd be a different story. I could equip it with the cannon I found back there a ways and... ...Well, I don't have a vehicle, do I? So it doesn't look like I'll be killing Trash Heap any time soon.

Not with that attitude, you won't! We head on further in and find a tank.

It's completely busted.

SPECIAL BONUS EDIT: If you examine the busted tank again...

On second inspection... It's still a scrapped vehicle.

And again...

It's junk, OK? That isn't going to change, no matter how many times you look at it.

And again...

It looks more run down each time you look at it.

And again...

Staring at trash is kind of a stupid way to waste time.

And again...

Maybe you could use it to build a fort!

And again...

No, wait... It's just junk.

And again...

There's nothing hidden in there, so you might as well stop looking.

Well, that's no good. As I head further, though, we have a problem.

(Click here for video!)

I ran into some Junk Zombies. They got the drop on me, too - Max is usually fast enough to go first, but sometimes you don't get lucky. Especially since I haven't healed yet, so I am in prime position for these guys.

They manage to reduce me to exactly 0, between three Scrap Guns. The screen fades to black.

But Igor is there to save us!

: Would you look at that... It actually worked!
: I respect Dr. Mortem. He continue research no matter what people say. He is not type to live with half a heart.

Surely so, Igor. We head back to the mountain, making our way around again. This time, we make it to our goal.

I went with Sam because the Buggy is going to be our little buddy! It's fast, light, not very good at taking hits compared to other tanks and it kills things pretty dead. To get into it, we use the Drive option from the pause menu.

We can have one tank per character, plus one tank we drag behind our actual driven tanks. Let's look at tank equipment!

Tanks have a Chassis, an Engine, a C-Unit, a Sub Gun and a Main Gun. (Some have other slots, but this is the simple version.)

The Chassis determines what slots it has for weapons and how much ammo the main gun has. That Durability determines how likely the thing is to break in combat. Like all tank gear, it has a weight in tons. It also gives us +5 Defense while in the tank. Handy!

The Engine determines how much the tank can carry. The Donkey provides 8 tons of Load. That means it can carry total tank gear up to 8 tons of weight. Durability applies to each tank part seperately.

The C-Unit is the computer that runs the tank, which is why each tank only needs one crewman. Its main job is to provide bonuses. In this case: +19 defense.

The Sub Gun is your main weapon for most combats - it has infinite ammunition. The 7.62mm Gatling is significantly stronger than our Slingshot.

He's a beauty, that car. Let's see him in action.

The armor is good enough that none of the enemies can deal damage to us - not even the Junk Zombies.

And we can kill any of them in a single shot.

Catharsis! Now, we backtrack and head down another path.

This is our new main gun.

Unlike the Sub Gun, it has ammo - 20 shots, total, before it needs to be refilled. It also has a higher weight and a much higher Attack value. Putting it on has made us overweight and rendered Sam unable to move.

So we dump armor tiles. Every armor tile is one HP for the tank. Tank HP is there to absorb damage before it can get to your tank parts. As long as you end an attack above 0 SP - that's what they call tank HP - then your tank parts are safe.

And it looks cool, too. We head on now, to confront Trash Heap.

Soldier: You'd better be really sure that you wanna fight that thing. By my estimation, you'd have to be at least level 3 to even survive. ...Any lower than that, and you're just asking for trouble. I value my life, though, so I'm gonna head back. See you... I hope.

Wimp. We move on and find Trash Heap.

(Click here for the boss fight.)

Trash Heap is a very simple boss. He hits things.

Like so. He goes first, and that's all he does for a bit.

Now that we've got a Main Gun, though, we have an option, too. That 20 is our ammo tracker. We have 20 shots. More than enough.

Even if it's not the most impressive gun. Eventually, Trash Heap will do something new.

I believe what this means is that he is now willing to use his special attack. However, I've never been sure what it is actually telegraphing. I defended a few times in case he was about to launch it, but no luck.

He does throw rocks, but thanks to my defending, it doesn't do anything. Eventually he does for the special, though, Super Strike.

While I get lucky for a bit, he eventually manages to take out all my SP.

I got lucky, though - he only damaged the C-Unit, he didn't break it or damage a gun. So, yeah, I get fewer benefits from the C-Unit - I've never been sure how much it degrades, but there is some. I got lucky - none of his later hits damaged anything else, so I could pound him down. I'd still have been able to if he head, but I might have had to get out of Sam. Max would be at risk then.

But he goes down, right enough.

Monsters

On the way back, I decide to show off Remote Laser. 200G is only a handful of fights, after all.

Not too shabby, but not usually worth the cost of renting the death laser.

This is the area that guy stopped us from entering before. It contains a Shotgun and some Camo Fatigues. I put the fatigues on Max immediately, but hold off on the Shotgun. It is actually weaker than the Slingshot...but it hits every enemy on the field. Since we're going to be inside a tank, that's not that useful right now. Now, let's head back to the garage.

: Oh, Max. You found a vehicle already, huh?
: ......
: Now that you have a vehicle, you're a real rookie hunter. ...I guess I should explain how to use the garage. Most towns oyu come across will have a garage. Some have Repair Shops where you can fix damage to your vehicles. Or, there may be a Service Station where armor tiles and shells can be replenished. There are also Mod Shops to upgrade chassis and other parts. The garage is an important facility for hunters to use, so look for one whenever you enter a new town. Our garage has something called a Parking Lot. You can park vehicles there. It should be pretty obvious. If you park here instead of outside, you won't end up with bird poo and mushrooms all over your vehicles. Your father says you can use it freely, so make good use of it. I'll send an eMessage repeating everything I just told you... ...In case you forget. In any event, good luck!

Yes, we can get bird poo poo and mushrooms on our tank. Bird poo poo is no real problem, but mushrooms add additional weight to no benefit. If we get them, we have to remove them down at the Tank Wash. Now, let's get repaired.

I ask for repairs.

: *sigh* Son, nothing in life is free, you know that. Besides, if you can't afford things like this, you should probably think twice about this whole hunter thing.

God, fine, Mom. I'll pay! We get the C-Unit repaired, but we still have no SP.

The Service Shop is where you go for that. They can reload your main gun ammo and replace your lost tiles, which provide your SP. You can refill them all, as I did, or you can custom-order less if you want. Always be sure to do this last at a garage - changing up your tank gear will usually mean shedding some weight, and that's a waste of cash.

Speaking of shedding weight...this is the Storage Room. You only have 64 Inventory slots, see - and you can't store tank gear in them. Tank gear must be carried on a tank, where it adds weight even if unequipped. Thus, we'll be offloading anything we don't need here. I drop off the stuff we grabbed in last update, plus what we got for the Junk - a mix of Claw Blades, Drill Sheaths, Drill Blades and Assault Barrels. Those are all parts to construct items later. We head downstairs next and grab a Healing Capsule, then visit the Mod Shop.

Here, you can pay cash to alter the stats on your tank parts. All mods increase weight at least some. You can icnrease Durability and Ammo on a Chassis, Durability and Max Load on an engine, Durability and Attack on weapons, and so on. Right now, we won't be changing anything - Sam's good to go for a little bit.

Once the intro is over, we can also come to Rent-a-Tank to get preloaded tanks, if we need any. We won't be renting too many tanks unless we have to.

Tank Wash: Dirty vehicle? Not a problem for Shiny's Tank Wash. Bird poo got you down? Not at Shiny's Tank Wash! Is there fungus among us? There isn't at Shiny's Tank Wash! Come back whenever duty calls!

On the other side of the garage, we can head down to the Parking Lot. Looks lonely right now, but we'll fill her up eventually. Now, off to the Hunter's Office!

Oh, right, we can't drive tanks indoors.

Not a bad haul, all things considered.

Next time: we finally leave Junkyard.

Emails

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 30, 2014

Matthews
Feb 24, 2012
You didn't show off the extra text for the busted tank.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Matthews posted:

You didn't show off the extra text for the busted tank.

I only examined it once - I forgot it had any. I'll go back and grab it.

E: there.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 20, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
If you didn't watch the boss fight, you should; this game has a phenomenal soundtrack.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sadly, we haven't gotten that track on our Satcom yet - if we did, I'd be playing it all the time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That laser cannon was a disappointment. 200G seems to be a tidy amount at this point, so you'd think they'd at least let you go into the triple digits for that price tag.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hits all enemies on the field, I'm guessing. Probably enough damage to wipe out any encounter in the scrap heap. I imagine it's there so you've got a desperation move to save your skin. But then you'd miss out on the Doc's services, so why would you want to?

Matthews
Feb 24, 2012
Nope, the laser only hits one enemy.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Yep, I think I love this game. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, what does the Doc's resurrection do for you, exactly? Does it take half your money or something, or are you just kicked out of the dungeon?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Glazius posted:

Yeah, what does the Doc's resurrection do for you, exactly? Does it take half your money or something, or are you just kicked out of the dungeon?

You just get kicked out of the dungeon (or wherever you are) to Junkyard. If you had a vehicle, it would get left behind and you'd have to go get it unless you had a way to recall it to your location. You lose no money or anything - Mortem just really enjoys his work.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I'm not seeing the image (images?) for the satellite laser.

EDIT: Ah, it's an animated gif. Not sure why I wasn't seeing it before.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Picayune posted:

Yep, I think I love this game. :allears:

I don't know why, but it really never ceases to amuse me that Dr. Wily and Igor Man are your revival characters in this game.

Also, agreeing with the bandwagon that I love this soundtrack so bloody much. We haven't heard my favorite track yet, though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

your evil twin posted:

Oh my god this is fantastic. I have been literally laughing out loud.

Hilarious character dialogue options, your first weapon is a Kill-Sat, you have the option to "finish" the game whenever you want and it is treated as a legitimate ending, and the ability to respawn after death is justified by Dr Frankenstein resurrecting your corpse. (Plus Laura, "the world's most beautiful brain" makes me think of Steve Martin's The Man With Two Brains.)

Also, LOL WUT at some of the gameplay clips in the intro movie.

They should have had the "name your character" thing be first though, since it's a bit silly that when you mother is trying to persuade you to become a mechanic she keeps calling you Hunter, as does your sister and father if you choose that option. Though I guess it's nicely ironic that your parents actually named you Hunter and you didn't become one.

Did a bit of googling, turns out that there is an English version of "Metal Max Returns", the SNES remake of the original NES Metal Max. Apparently Metal Saga's plot is the reverse of Metal Max; in that your dad wanted you to be a mechanic and he disowns you when you say you want to be a Hunter.

There was actually a LP of that game maybe a year ago or so, which got me really confused. The introduction and town is basically entirely the same, too, to memory.

... And we called the guy Max there, too.

It pettered out after about four updates, sadly.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

There was actually a LP of that game maybe a year ago or so, which got me really confused. The introduction and town is basically entirely the same, too, to memory.

It pettered out after about four updates, sadly.

It was a real shame too, I had such high hopes of seeing it finished. :(

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Koorisch posted:

It was a real shame too, I had such high hopes of seeing it finished. :(
Yeah, the person doing the LP was pretty good about showing secret/goofy stuff too, like using the rocks in battle and stuff like that.

Also, are we going to have contests for tank customization? I remember the customization tool being pretty involved.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I personally am poo poo at the customization tool, but I am pretty sure I can import custom tank patterns you make if you can provide me with the save file for the paint job. I think. I'd have to test it?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Yeah, if someone can send Mors a custom paintjob or two, that'd be pretty neat, but aside from that I think it may just be a huge pain in the tail, especially since every vehicle in the game has their own unique skin that requires a separate save for each one to load in. This is one of those games that inadvertantly made you eat through almost an entire memory card if you absolutely had to roll out custom colors for all of them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I hope you get into the same situation I always do whenever I replay this game, where I ALWAYS accidentally run into that one loving Outlaw (you know the one) right at the start of the game, and then I can never ever find it later when I'm actually capable of killing it. That goddamn thing is the bane of my existence.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Oh god, if you're talking about the one I think you are, that thing can go to hell.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Are you guys talking about the outlaw that always loving escapes? Because that's what pissed me off the most. Grinding to get the random encounter? Whatever, it's XP and cash for upgrades. But having the bastard escape before you can barely do anything?

Speaking of random monsters, do regular bounties really expire based on time? Because in Metal Max returns the regular bounty only changes when you level up. I always assumed it worked the same way in Metal Saga. Not that I really bothered with regular bounties in either game...

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I know in Metal Max Returns it was based solely on your level, which made it a tragic process to sit there and grind out ten or twenty of whatever little bastards were on the list only to get back and find out that the bounty had expired because you wanted to get that last extra one or whatever. Saga, I know it's not solely level based, but that's about it.

Veris
Jul 5, 2007

I made some portrait backgrounds transparent for you, check out this album http://imgur.com/a/DM8xv

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Updates will come over the weekend - my brother's birthday is coming up and I don't have time right this second, but will afterwards.

Those are some great pictures - how'd you do it? Just taking the time to erase out all the non-head parts? That's the only way I could figure out and I decided it'd be too much work for the benefits provided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veris
Jul 5, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Those are some great pictures - how'd you do it? Just taking the time to erase out all the non-head parts? That's the only way I could figure out and I decided it'd be too much work for the benefits provided.

Yeah, you delete the cruft; you can select a whole bunch of pixels at once with the lasso or magic wand. Here's a new batch http://imgur.com/a/UbO91

• Locked thread