Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

nutranurse posted:

So this just came out on steam and, being really interested in the period, I bought it and played it into the wee hours of the morning.

It's pretty good and I suggest y'all check it out. It plays like a boardgame and the developers clearly get what the cold war was about (read: not nuking everything while you handcraft your navy so that they can navigate all the straits). It's not a pdox game, but it's something that pdox fans might like!!!

The manual's in the downloads section so you can check out how the game works.

I cannot wait for it to come out. Warlock 1 was a really good wargame, imo. It scratched a certain itch.

I've purchased Us and Them as well. Trip report later this evening. So far it crashed halfway through the tutorial, loving up my display, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
ART is expensive but gives good return for the investment, torpedoes are horrendously broken and can be stuffed onto almost any ship model. Apart from that, you won't ever need to brigades, they're too situational/costly.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dibujante posted:

Laissez-faire is only really good in one context: you are an already-industrialized country with good techs, good literacy, lots of capitalists, and you're early enough to the industrialization scene that everyone else is buying your industrial products at steep prices, giving your capitalists the cash they need to invest in mind-bogglingly stupid things. Once competition appears on the scene, laissez-faire just loses.

Basically, laissez-faire works like in real life.

I've seen people be #1 with laissez-faire (especially as Russia) because the sheer size of the industry negates any bankrupt factories. You won't have as great an economy as a perfectly micromanaged one, but you'll always win against the AI.

Chump Farts posted:

What percentage of my drooling bearmen need to read before building factories is worth it? With three national ideas and full funding I am at like 14 or 15% in 1850. Is 20-30 the magic number or should I just start making factories and be ready to piss away cash on subsidies?

Just as a sidenote: You can click a pop to get a detailed pop view and see promotion rates (among other things). There it'll say how much your literacy impacts capitalist promotion, for example.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What constitutes a "good" economy? As Sweden I usually go for a furniture factory and steel + tools in Svealand. Then I branch out with consumer goods like canned foods and clothing but I never really know where to go from there. Is there a good resource for what you should absolutely get going for most nations?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

I've purchased Us and Them as well. Trip report later this evening. So far it crashed halfway through the tutorial, loving up my display, though.

Update on Us and Them.

It has a definite board game feel which adds accessibility, but the UI is pretty lacking. It has no resolution options, running at 1024 x 768 on my 1900x1200 screen. I keep looking for the options or an ini to change it because even the UI doesn't seem like it's designed for that resolution. The country and agent lists, for example, just trail off at the end of the screen.

The fundamental issue I have is that despite its boardgame style, you're managing a pretty long list of agents with no easy way to manage them all. When you're putting out like 5-10 agents per turn and every agent makes a move each turn, things get time consuming. The only way to see your agents is either to refer to the master list or to check each country individually. Likewise, every turn you get popups detailing what actions enemy agents took, but after the popup there's no way to refer back to the event.

The gameplay itself is interesting--different agents do different tasks like sabotage, spying, causing a revolution, etc. But it's just a pain in the rear end to manage them all, which is a shame because 1) managing them is the entire game and 2) you're playing against a computer, which will have a distinct advantage in micromanagement.

It's less than :10bux: right now, so I guess I shouldn't expect too much, but it doesn't feel that fun to me.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If I feel I can spare the IC I'll attach art to all non-speedy units but that's it. Maybe SPART for tanks and motorized but they're pretty pricey already. 30+ divisions in a province will prevent the germans from winning the battle or cripple their attacking force so heavily you'll retake it easily. Really if you want to do a 'realistic' eastern front war as the Soviets you have to gimp yourself by leaving the front lines weak* enough for the Germans to break through.

*I haven't seen them have too much trouble fighting 25 or less divisions per province but I'd hardly call that a weak line.

IIRC the soviets get very good org/moral boosting events once the Germans hold a certain % of territory. Just pull all your infantry back to modern Russia's borders and start the steamroll

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Emanuel Collective posted:

IIRC the soviets get very good org/moral boosting events once the Germans hold a certain % of territory. Just pull all your infantry back to modern Russia's borders and start the steamroll

If anybody was wondering, this does not work for Czarist Russia! I tried a quick game of the 1914 scenario and the Germans did NOT declare war on Belgium and just stared at the French from across Alsace-Lorraine while they poured troops into the Eastern Front, hitting me with multiple +dissent events as I lost Warsaw and then Riga and then Minsk and onwards and it just kept getting worse and worse!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The Soviets also have some combat penalties that slowly go away over time. I believe they start with a 50% (defensive?) penalty in '36 which will be gone by ~'43. Since Germany can attack in '40 this can be problematic.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

If anybody was wondering, this does not work for Czarist Russia! I tried a quick game of the 1914 scenario and the Germans did NOT declare war on Belgium and just stared at the French from across Alsace-Lorraine while they poured troops into the Eastern Front, hitting me with multiple +dissent events as I lost Warsaw and then Riga and then Minsk and onwards and it just kept getting worse and worse!

This happened to me the first and only time I tried the 1914 scenario too. Germany and France just sat there and chilled out while Germany overran Poland, and then I quit because it was stupid.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
The 1914 scenario isn't very good and is a disaster when it comes to modeling the first year or so of the war.

uPen posted:

The Soviets also have some combat penalties that slowly go away over time. I believe they start with a 50% (defensive?) penalty in '36 which will be gone by ~'43. Since Germany can attack in '40 this can be problematic.

That was in HoI2, now the soviet land doctrine techs directly increase ground defense efficiency.

E: also I want to say it tops off at near 70% GDE.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The 1914 scenario isn't very good and is a disaster when it comes to modeling the first year or so of the war.

You almost had it. If anyone wants to play a WW1 game get Commander: The Great War or Stratcom: WWI.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That was in HoI2, now the soviet land doctrine techs directly increase ground defense efficiency.

E: also I want to say it tops off at near 70% GDE.

I knew it existed but it's been so long and none of this poo poo is properly documented anywhere. Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

In my defense I've never made it past 1915 without going gently caress it and playing a non broken scenario.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
But no other scenario let's me play as Pancho Villa, Venustiano Carranza or Emiliano Zapata :saddowns:. Even if it is boring as gently caress and you really can't do anything since you have no IC and are on the other side of the world. I kind of wish that the Mexican Revolution was a stand alone scenario, if only because it's not represented in any game I've ever played.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Emanuel Collective posted:

Thst is the thing uPen mentioned that is in HoI2. In DH the Great Patriotic War just gives you a very large IC bonus.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
That moment in Victoria 2 where California has a population that's 40% Irish and 10% Greek (and 8% Armenian).

:psyduck:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Westminster System posted:

That moment in Victoria 2 where California has a population that's 40% Irish and 10% Greek (and 8% Armenian).

:psyduck:

Don't worry, they'll assimilate in 2 months.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

Don't worry, they'll assimilate in 2 months.

Oh well yeah of course. The Greeks held on for a few decades though. Wish I could of made them an accepted culture.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Westminster System posted:

Oh well yeah of course. The Greeks held on for a few decades though. Wish I could of made them an accepted culture.

It's just one line in the save file. I like removing all accepted cultures and watching literally every POP assimilate into Yankees :getin:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

GrossMurpel posted:

It's just one line in the save file. I like removing all accepted cultures and watching literally every POP assimilate into Yankees :getin:

Really the correct thing would be to make all cultures accepted and watch as nothing gets done in America. Just like in real life! :v:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

JGBeagle posted:

Really the correct thing would be to make all cultures accepted and watch as nothing gets done in America. Just like in real life! :v:

Help I'm playing USA at the 2009 start date and can't get these Tea Partiers to assimilate :argh: How do I get them as an accepted culture?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dibujante posted:

Help I'm playing USA at the 2009 start date and can't get these Tea Partiers to assimilate :argh: How do I get them as an accepted culture?

Get them to revolt, move your troops out of Washington, and let them stage a revolution. :v:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Get them to revolt, move your troops out of Washington, and let them stage a revolution. :v:

I try, but their stacks keep occupying Arizona and then not moving :qq:

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Here we go again

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Set your national focus to better posting.

Regarding Laissez-Faire in V2, the important thing is that it makes poo poo cheaper for your capitalists. They're able to build and upgrade a lot, and even if they don't always chose the optimal factory, assuming you're big enough they choose factories that do what you want often enough that it doesn't matter. In my most recent super-exploitative mega-Germany game I was covered in ridiculously huge factories, had unemployed craftsmen only in the most recently conquered provinces, and was producing more than enough tanks to support 40 armor brigades. And all without having to care about the details at all. Basically if you're big enough that micromanaging your economy sucks (to do the same as my capitalists I'd have had to be doing hundred of build orders a year) then Laissez-Faire can do it well enough for any practical purpose.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

maev posted:

Here we go again

Paradox Games: Serious Business

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

thatdarnedbob posted:

Set your national focus to better posting.

Regarding Laissez-Faire in V2, the important thing is that it makes poo poo cheaper for your capitalists. They're able to build and upgrade a lot, and even if they don't always chose the optimal factory, assuming you're big enough they choose factories that do what you want often enough that it doesn't matter. In my most recent super-exploitative mega-Germany game I was covered in ridiculously huge factories, had unemployed craftsmen only in the most recently conquered provinces, and was producing more than enough tanks to support 40 armor brigades. And all without having to care about the details at all. Basically if you're big enough that micromanaging your economy sucks (to do the same as my capitalists I'd have had to be doing hundred of build orders a year) then Laissez-Faire can do it well enough for any practical purpose.

On the other hand, subsidies get you big numbers

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

grancheater posted:

On the other hand, subsidies get you big numbers

I guess if you don't have the social reforms to have good unemployment benefits you could do this. But this hurts my soul.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fintilgin posted:

Paradox Games: Serious Business

Its a strategy game.

Fun is not allowed.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its a strategy game.

Fun is not allowed.

Only the quiet satisfaction that comes with fixing the world's borders piece by piece and restoring Serbia's Bulgaria's the Byzantine's Basileia Rhomaion's proper clay!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
And whatever you do don't make inside paradox jokes in the paradox thread.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
There's no paradoxes in Paradox. I want my money back.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Cantorsdust posted:

Only the quiet satisfaction that comes with fixing the world's borders piece by piece and restoring Serbia's Bulgaria's the Byzantine's Basileia Rhomaion's proper clay!

I think you mean Basileia Rhōmaiōn.:smuggo:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Puella Magissima posted:

I think you mean Basileia Rhōmaiōn.:smuggo:

Oh come on, you should just go full out and Βασιλεία Ῥωμαίων it up.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry to bring it up again but from what I gather from the comments on the USSR I need to:

-Immediately expunge any starting dissent, then start building infantry/HQs.

- Focus entirely on dissent lowering again, after the great purge, taking care to spend money on research.

- Resume building infantry, reinforce old units but avoid upgrading them.

- Annex Finland in the winter war.

-Fall back slowly after Barbarossa so I get free IC/manwpower events kick in.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

SkySteak posted:

Sorry to bring it up again but from what I gather from the comments on the USSR I need to:

- Resume building infantry, reinforce old units but avoid upgrading them.

In DH you shouldn't reinforce anything during peace time, the mobilization event gives strength to all of your units.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

SkySteak posted:

-Fall back slowly after Barbarossa so I get free IC/manwpower events kick in.

Don't expect to be able to fall back slowly, expect your lines to crumble.

Battle Hamster
Mar 21, 2007

SkySteak posted:

- Annex Finland in the winter war.

Is this actually the case? I thought it was better to just take the normal surrender event and avoid the dissent/relations penalty for trying to annex them fully. Yeah they'll likely flip to Germany, but even if you annex them you'd still border occupied Norway so it's not like you're getting rid of a front.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Battle Hamster posted:

Is this actually the case? I thought it was better to just take the normal surrender event and avoid the dissent/relations penalty for trying to annex them fully. Yeah they'll likely flip to Germany, but even if you annex them you'd still border occupied Norway so it's not like you're getting rid of a front.

I'd imagine that the Finnish-Norwegian border is a hell of a lot easier to defend than the Russian-Finnish one, but I've never played Russia.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Battle Hamster posted:

Its a much bigger pain in the rear end to defend the whole finnish border than it is just Petsamo, especially if Germany lands a few divisons in Finland. But in my games the Finns rarely ally with Germany for whatever reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

It's fairly easy to push down to Narvik and sit for the rest of the war with a few divisions. If the Germans come close to retaking it, parking a boat offshore will cancel the invasion because that's a strait for some reason.

• Locked thread