Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Horsebanger posted:

##Vote Old Romans

No Seriously are we close to restoring the Roman Empire? Roman Ideas in EU4 are awesome

CK2 wiki is down so I can't double-check, but we're nowhere near close to forming it yet. Since we still need two more pentarchs just the reform the Schism (and with the content Trajan in charge, CBs are a bit thin on the ground).

We'll be using custom ideas that reflect the particular history we see in CK2 (and the actions of the Senate!) in EU4, so we won't just be using the Roman Empire straight out of the exporter even if we do hammer that reform button eventually.

Whether we're called Byzantium or Rome in EU4 probably has a lot more to do with the Senate than anything else, really. Have you noticed how in all these years of New Byzantine rule, we've started to see "Byzantine Empire" slip into the contemporary historians? Well, maybe not, since we just got through like fifty years of Anna Anatolike, who I wrote as an Old Roman die-hard, but that's supposed to be a thing, anyway.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009

##Vote Old Romans

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

##Vote Old Romans

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Remember to vote Old Roman for imperial restoration!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWVgQYN37yk
Because Rome doesn't need unwashed Sunni's and Genoese traders at her gates!

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

##Vote Milvians

##Vote Phanariotes

My cousin has managed to gain the position of First Theologian at the University of Constantinople (perhaps due to my esteemed grand-uncle sponsoring the bill that led to its reconstruction), and it must be noted that a great deal of good has come out of it. A greater understanding of our ancestors and our religion, as well as the continued expansion of imperial economic power. I understand the engineers in the University have come up with several novel ideas for reinforcing the Theodosian Walls, though as to how practical they are, I am not sure.

We Milvians have proven that policy devoted to the expansion of belief in Christ and the knowledge of the world God made is wise, and I must advocate for my party now. With our brothers and fellow-members the Fraternalists, the delegation of power to members of the church and trade republics has weakened the relative position of the douxes, and left Emperor Traianos presiding over a peaceful, powerful Empire. Should we not continue in these wise ways?

j00rBuDdY
Sep 11, 2001
Let me be your friend.

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

While I am sorely tempted to join the Pragmatists, I shall stay with the New Byzantines, like my father, his father before him, all the way back a few centuries. Though we New Byzantines may not have a truly clear goal right now, I believe that if we keep going, we'll find something new and good to do.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

##Vote Old Romans

##Vote Expansionists

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013

##Vote Komnenians

Best party/parties.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

After much consideration, I feel I must leave the Old Romans for their new subsidiary.

##Vote Unitas

##Vote Expansionists

Senators, I urge you to consider the practical benefits of a monocultural, monolingual, and monoreligious state. Administration would become far simpler if nothing else. After all, did not our ancestors make speaking Latin a requirement of Roman citizenship? Until Caracalla ruined it, that is...

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

##Vote Komnenians

Ain't no party like the Komnenian Party cause the Komnenian party don't stop! Yeah!! :2bong:

Well...except for that time when a eunuch was running the empire because the Empress was a two year old, and that time that Alexios got captured by the Doukes and castrated...and a number of other times now that I think about it...er...

##Vote Phanariotes
... Universities! FRAT PARTIES! YEAH!! :2bong:

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

##Vote Old Romans

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

##Vote True Religion's Advocates In Time Of Rebellion & Strife

Even with the Bishop of Rome ostracized from Rome itself, the usefulness of reconciling and working with the Latins has not abated. At the very least, I would recommend we start taking a more Western-oriented approach, consider moving the capital back to Rome, and maybe even switch back to the tongue of our forefathers and properly become Romans once more. Via console, I suppose. Don't think there's any in-game events or decisions for it. It'd help in dealing with the Italians and Franks, at least, since Latin's the language of their administrations and intelligentsia anyways.

Of course, the greatest potential boost to our diplomatic ability would be to reconcile with the Bishop of Rome himself.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
##Vote Guiding Light

It is absolutely necessary for the Emperor to covert to Sunni Islam; if he does not we shall lose the blessing of Allah and will never be able to truly restore the Roman Empire. Barbarians will conquer us if we do not convert. Once more, just as it was before, Barbarians will topple Rome. The only way to avoid this is to immediately convert to Islam and establish a new directive requiring all Douxs and Douxesses to immediately convert as well.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

##Vote Milvians

##Vote Phanariotes

May His light illuminate our thoughts and teach us how to best face what the future holds.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

##Vote Fraternalists

##Vote Phanariotes

Down with Pisa, embargo the Somali and establish a trade republic in the Levant!

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

While new parties are tempting, my family has been New Byzantines since their inception. Byzantium forever!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

##Vote True Religion's Advocates In Time Of Rebellion & Strife

Even with the Bishop of Rome ostracized from Rome itself, the usefulness of reconciling and working with the Latins has not abated. At the very least, I would recommend we start taking a more Western-oriented approach, consider moving the capital back to Rome, and maybe even switch back to the tongue of our forefathers and properly become Romans once more. Via console, I suppose. Don't think there's any in-game events or decisions for it. It'd help in dealing with the Italians and Franks, at least, since Latin's the language of their administrations and intelligentsia anyways.

Of course, the greatest potential boost to our diplomatic ability would be to reconcile with the Bishop of Rome himself.

This man is quite clearly a fool. As everyone knows, even in the time of the old empire, the eastern half was administered in and spoke the tongue of Greece. Incidentally, this history lesson serves as a wonderful preface to my change of allegiance. I may be a pragmatist at heart, but I have no interest in a party that is going nowhere in two different directions at once.

##Vote Old Roman

##Vote PHanariotes

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

##Vote Old Romans

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

##Vote Old Romans

My family has long dreamed of the restoration of the Roman Empire, and I see no reason to abandon that ideal when we have come so far.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

##Vote New Byzantines

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Ofaloaf posted:

But we are reconciled to the Bishop of Rome. His place within the Pentarchy has been restored, and the orthodoxy of his faith is beyond reproach. Why are you not satisfied with your greatest wish?

##Vote Milvians

##Vote New Marians

##Vote Expansionists

##Vote Phanariotes

I remain a loyal servant of the Emperor and stand with the Milvians, and maintain my family's strong support for inter-party initiatives on an inclusive basis. I represent the ΑΙ υποσημειώ Ιμπυ lineage, although I fear I may not live throughout the entirety of your glorious reign, O Emperor. My children watch proceedings and will replace me in due course, but I have no desire to retire just yet.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Rejected Fate posted:

##Vote Fraternalists

##Vote Phanariotes

Down with Pisa, embargo the Somali and establish a trade republic in the Levant!

##Vote Fraternalists

##Vote Phanariotes

Well said by my fellow compatriot, we need a Levant trade republic to compete with Somali and we need to disrupt the flow of trade from Somalia

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

Ratoslov posted:

Alrighty. I've been consulting with some of my besties from college, ex-boyfriends, and some of Dad's old friends, and a few starving artist types that kind of showed up on my couch, and I've got a proposal. I've got some other ideas, but I think everyone can get behind this one, for sure.

The first is the Academy of Weights and Measures Act. Commerce in the Empire is chaotic, bros. When you go to the wine mechant and buy a bottle of wine, you have no idea how much wine, precisely, is in that bottle. It's all over the place. Same with bolts of cloth. One seller's selling by the old Roman foot, one by the digit, one by the reed even. And everyone's rulers are different lengths, even for the same units! It's madness, right?

So, I'm proposing a single bureaucracy to regulate weights and measures, ensure fair and equitable sales, and to produce precise tools for such measurement. 'Course, the selection of the units will be left to the Emperor himself and his appointed executors. Pretty cool, huh?

Also, every wine or beer glass in use in public houses, cafes, restaurants, tea-houses, or whatever will be required to have a line showing a standard volume of wine or beer. None in the empire shall fear a short pour again!

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

Because I want to be in a party with these ideas....Though she might want to work on her timing.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

##Vote Steppes and Republics

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

##Vote Komnenians

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

##Vote Old Romans

For the Glory!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

##Vote Old Romans

##Vote Expansionists

Why do the New Byzantines not have a platform grr most of you are just bandwagon-voting for the cool insignia anyways I know the truth :argh:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

##Vote Unitas

##Vote Expansionists

##Vote Phanariotes

As we expand, I feel that it is important to educate our subjects, to teach them their new Roman history, Greek, and Orthodoxy. Education is the best, I think, of the many tools we could use to assimilate the populace.

@EightDeer: Welcome to the party! We will convince this Senate yet.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 21, 2014

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

Having returned from my visit to Kiev, I also want to thank the Emperor for the continued work on trying to convert the Golden Horde, as they are the greatest threat to the True Faith up north.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

##Vote New Byzantines

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Why do the New Byzantines not have a platform grr most of you are just bandwagon-voting for the cool insignia anyways I know the truth :argh:

We're working on it, jeez! I'm trying to articulate poo poo as fast as I can, but it's hard to write with these nails. 'But Iouliana, you could hire a scribe! Or just cut your nails short!' I hear. But I'm both hard-working and fabulous, and I refuse to compromise my ideals in the face of adversity! Or something!

D3m3 posted:

Because I want to be in a party with these ideas....Though she might want to work on her timing.

Thank you! I'm glad to be breathing new life into a party losing direction!

Woah, that sounded cool when I said it.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

Arshak I Qutuzid

You claim we Byzantines don't have a program, yet you can't be any more wrong. Our program is rather simple, yet nonetheless grand: Inclusion. The rights of every citizen of our glorious Empire, the Byzantine Empire, shall be equal. No matter their gender, no matter their tongue, no matter their religion, all shall stand equally before the state and the law. Many of my fellow senators, not only from my own party but from the other parties as well, see to my idea with open eyes. Even the Unitas, in their own peculiar way, want this to happen. With this in mind I want to show my support to a fellow member of the New Byzantines, Senator Blackunknown, and his Divided as One Act. While it does not fit my own idea of what should be done, it perfectly suits its purpose as a compromise should one ever be needed.

Blackunknown posted:

After hearing Unitas prattle on about "assimilation" senate session after senate session, I would like to counter propose a solution other than "ALL MUST BE GREEK BLARG". I propose the κατανέμονται ως ένα Act(divided as one). This act would allow the fusing of minority culture with Greek culture. This would allow them to become "Greek" while keeping their cultural heritage and language while combining it with Greek heritage and language. This would allow the cultural unity that Unitas so desires without force-assimalating other cultures at sword-point.

OOC: What i'm trying to state here is that when we convert to EU4 instead of having a bunch of non-accepted cultures in our provinices we make them a new culture in the Byzantine culture group( which has very few cultures in it anyway). Cumans and Pechanegs become Greco-Altic, Turks become Greco-Turkic, Arabs become Greco-Arabic, Italians become Sicilian, etc. As the Byzantine Empire is already the cultural union of the Byzantine culture group we would get no penalties from said cultures.

In addition to our main pillar of Tolerance we, as one of the biggest blocks for the Phanariotes, have a large platform regarding knowledge and understanding. The amassing of Knowledge from far and wide, the allowance of everyone to attend and study at our Valerian University, the learning and teaching between customs and religions. This platform, called Enlightenment, gives the second pillar upon which the rest of the New Byzantine party stand upon. With Tolerance and Enlightenment the inclusion of every thought and idea fits the party ideal. Every man or woman is equal before the law, even the Basilleus himself. He may be our blessed ruler, but not even he should be immune to the laws of his own Empire.

To Annex the Levantine in order to protect pilgrims of every creed trying to get to the Holy City. To annex the Old Rome in order to get hold of the Papal Archives, and the knowledge stored therein. To annex the Black Sea Coast to cement our Bulgar Merchants' reign over the sea, and to further spread the ideals of the Christian Church and the Byzantine State. Wherever we go we go not as conquerors, but defenders. Protecting the weaker states from those that would seek nothing but to pounce upon them, and allowing them to live in peace in our Empire in exchange for their loyalty to the Crown, while learning of their ways and what they have to teach us in return, that is the New Byzantine platform. The TRUE New Byzantine platform, and the one my family have supported for more than a century and a half.

:siren:I would love to hear my fellow Byzantines' thoughts about my statement. Is this our Platform? Tolerance and Enlightenment? The Protection of the smaller states from their hungry neighbours? To defend the People of the world from those who seek to impose on them?:siren:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

OOC: Are you kidding me? The Old Romans have the best flag around! I vote for the Libertarian-Modernizer Party because it is obviously the most fun party. Besides, if I didn't play a Turkish minority I wouldn't be able to have these hilarious squabbles with Cyrahzax.

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!

##Vote New Byzantines

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

##Vote Pragmatists

##Vote Phanariotes

One might ask what we must be afraid of. They might look to our Empire and say, "Who can topple us?"

The West is too weak to even dint our armor, though the rise of France is to be watched warily. But the East remains a land locked in mystery and veiled in dangers. Who knows what forces might come swarming over the eastern border next? And can we do anything to stop the armies that are already entrenched into their positions? Not just these "Mongols," but also those that had once stolen Anatolia from us.

We must remain strong. We must not waste our energy on frivolous invasions, but instead focus our energy on blunting the might of our enemy and any of their potential allies. Join the Pragmatists. Stand in preparation of the coming age.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

##Vote Milvians

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Luhood posted:

:siren:I would love to hear my fellow Byzantines' thoughts about my statement. Is this our Platform? Tolerance and Enlightenment? The Protection of the smaller states from their hungry neighbours? To defend the People of the world from those who seek to impose on them?:siren:

If that is your platform, why not call it what it is: the betrayal of everything Rome has ever stood for. Constantine I, first Christian Emperor, first banned construction of pagan temples then ordered existing ones torn down. Theodosius I, the last Emperor to rule over East and West both, declared paganism outlawed in no uncertain terms and executed pagan priests. Justinian's famous legal code bars pagans from all government offices and allows for the seizure of their property. The matter has long since been settled: Christianity is the only path to salvation.

Now you would invite all manner of heathens and heretics to parade past the Great Palace, possibly even make sacrifice to their blasphemous gods in the Forum of Constantine right in front of the Senate building? You disgust me.

As for "The Protection of the smaller states from their hungry neighbours" and "[defending] the People of the world from those who seek to impose on them", don't make me laugh. Let's be completely honest: we did not build the greatest empire the world has ever seen by asking nicely; we took that land with sword and spear and entire lakes of spilt blood. We never, not once, spared a single thought as to whether those conquered wished to be ruled by Rome. The results, well, they speak for themselves.

The path to greatness lies not in benevolent defence of our neighbours, greatness is achieved by crushing those neighbours under the boots of our soldiers.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

##Vote Komnenians

##Vote Phanariotes

Let us continue our technological endeavors, so that we might discover news ways to get wasted. Also contraception, let's discover more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

##Vote Milvians

• Locked thread