Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Jack posted:

They missed the GB3 window like 15 years ago. For better or worse, I don't want one anymore. The first two films and even the XBOX game were complete creations... I feel the same way now, without Ramis, that I did when Murray was out - if you can't do it right, don't do it at all.

Sadly, now that Ramis is gone, I imagine the others will feel obligated, in some way, to do the film... Ugh.

I wonder if they'll try to shoehorn in some Egon appearance using old footage or something. Like he appears Star Wars style as a ghost but he doesn't talk. That would be so tasteless though and I always thought of the guys involved as having more class than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if they'll try to shoehorn in some Egon appearance using old footage or something. Like he appears Star Wars style as a ghost but he doesn't talk. That would be so tasteless though and I always thought of the guys involved as having more class than that.

Slimer was the ghost of John Belushi, so it's not like they haven't already set a precedent or anything.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
I wrote a mildly funny thing for The Toast: "Selections from the Stay Puft Marshmallows Corporate Twitter"

http://the-toast.net/2014/03/10/selections-stay-puft-marshmallows-corporate-twitter/

Also, I mentioned this in the Harold Ramis thread, but my campaign to get Ghostbusters into the National Film Registry is still marching on. Surely given both Ramis' death and the film's special anniversary this year this would be a great time to get some stuff going. If you have not yet written an e-mail in 2014 explaining why the film is important and ought to be preserved forever, please consider doing so. (If you wrote in previous films, write again, they wipe all the votes every year.)

http://www.runleiarun.com/ghostbusters/nfr.shtml to learn what this is all about.

I am attending a screening of the movie tonight at the Tribeca Cinemas, all but a stone's throw from guess-which-fire-house. Can't wait. :3:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Icon-Cat posted:

I am attending a screening of the movie tonight at the Tribeca Cinemas, all but a stone's throw from guess-which-fire-house. Can't wait. :3:

Dammit! Wish I knew about this before it was sold out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've said it before, but I really hope that if they DO go with the currently-hot comic actors (namely Jonah Hill, who I actually like usually), they don't descend into offensive humour. Yeah, the ghost bj scene in GB1 is really a :wtc: moment, but in terms of language, the worst you hear is 'poo poo' once in a while. I know times have changed, but I hope this doesn't. I'm far from a prude, but when it comes to Ghostbusters, no one needs Judd Apatow-levels of swearing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've said it before, but I really hope that if they DO go with the currently-hot comic actors (namely Jonah Hill, who I actually like usually), they don't descend into offensive humour. Yeah, the ghost bj scene in GB1 is really a :wtc: moment, but in terms of language, the worst you hear is 'poo poo' once in a while. I know times have changed, but I hope this doesn't. I'm far from a prude, but when it comes to Ghostbusters, no one needs Judd Apatow-levels of swearing.

Miller and Lord are attached to direct, and while they did the offensive humor thing with 21 Jump Street, they also did the family friendly Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and Lego Movie. I can't imagine they'd want to turn it into a Tarantino film or anything.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
I don't think anyone would go into the creative side of Ghostbusters thinking "how am I gonna get some fucks in here", and especially not the rumored directors/re-writers. Then again they did apparently do a take in the original film with Egon exclaiming "gently caress me!" when he sees the Stay Puft Marshmallow man for the first time, which probably would've been my second favorite line from the film if it had made it in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Soulwrangler posted:

Then again they did apparently do a take in the original film with Egon exclaiming "gently caress me!" when he sees the Stay Puft Marshmallow man for the first time, which probably would've been my second favorite line from the film if it had made it in.

This footage exists somewhere and it is now my goal in life to find it, and I will find it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Soulwrangler posted:

I don't think anyone would go into the creative side of Ghostbusters thinking "how am I gonna get some fucks in here", and especially not the rumored directors/re-writers. Then again they did apparently do a take in the original film with Egon exclaiming "gently caress me!" when he sees the Stay Puft Marshmallow man for the first time, which probably would've been my second favorite line from the film if it had made it in.

Your favorite line being?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DoctorWhat posted:

My uncle thought he was St Jerome...

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

effectual posted:

My uncle thought he was St Jerome...

I'd call that a big yes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Why am I dripping with goo?

Edit: yes, gb2,I know.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
Well, in terms of what someone said before about everyone feeling obligated, I'm pretty sure Murray is still as "I don't want to do this" as ever, and, from what I've heard, Hudson was quoted as saying something along the lines of "It won't be Ghostbusters without Harold [Ramis], it might be something, but it won't be Ghostbusters". So it seems like the only one still dead-set on making it happen is Aykroyd. I hate saying it, but I'm in the crowd with a lot of people that just don't think it would be as successful with Ramis gone.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Aykroyd made Blues Brothers 2000, he'll make anything no matter how bad an idea it is if he can get away with it. :smith:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

...Then, during the Third Reconciliation of the Last of the Meketrex Supplicants, they chose a new form for him, that of a giant Sloar! Many Shubs and Zulls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of a Sloar that day, I can tell you

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You're right. No human being would stack books like this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SublimeDelusions posted:

Well, in terms of what someone said before about everyone feeling obligated, I'm pretty sure Murray is still as "I don't want to do this" as ever, and, from what I've heard, Hudson was quoted as saying something along the lines of "It won't be Ghostbusters without Harold [Ramis], it might be something, but it won't be Ghostbusters". So it seems like the only one still dead-set on making it happen is Aykroyd. I hate saying it, but I'm in the crowd with a lot of people that just don't think it would be as successful with Ramis gone.

The weirdest part is in the interview Reitman gave about him backing out of directing GB3, he says that Ramis got sick three years ago and they kept hoping he'd get better enough to do the movie. That just feels ghoulish ... like, couldn't they have just told Ramis to enjoy his few remaining years?

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
My favorite line/moment is "This man has no dick."

I don't feel like its ghoulish of Reitman and Aykroyd to carry that torch but its hard not to picture the execs at Sony breathing a sigh of relief when Ramis passed, realizing that one of their biggest franchises just became a litttttle bit easier to move forward on a reboot with.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Soulwrangler posted:

but its hard not to picture the execs at Sony breathing a sigh of relief when Ramis passed, realizing that one of their biggest franchises just became a litttttle bit easier to move forward on a reboot with.

Yep, since Ramis was one of the guys with veto privileges over any new film. "Oh, thank God, one fewer person who can say no."

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
GB3 is inevitable. I bet it will be a January/February cash-grab that is mostly low-hanging metahumor fruit. Just make sure to take a look at Starsky and Hutch, Dukes of Hazzard, and the Green Hornet when it comes time to set your expectations...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

i hope its the big bang theory cast as the new ghostbusters.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

DoctorWhat posted:

Aykroyd made Blues Brothers 2000 Nothing But Trouble, he'll make anything no matter how bad an idea it is if he can get away with it. :smith:

*shudder* That should have been the first sign that Ackroyd needs someone like Ramis or Murray to reign him in.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

*shudder* That should have been the first sign that Ackroyd needs someone like Ramis or Murray to reign him in.

Every time Nothing But Trouble comes on TV, I end up watching it. I don't know why. It's so bizarre and terrible.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Every time Nothing But Trouble comes on TV, I end up watching it. I don't know why. It's so bizarre and terrible.

Dan Aykroyd's Pennsylvania Chainsaw Massacre is a truly wonderfully odd film. Penis nose.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It smells like São Paolo.

... Is the only funny line in the entire movie

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Best part of that movie is when Digital Underground shows up for no reason and performs "Same Song"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why am I dripping with goo?

Edit: yes, gb2,I know.

"Egon! Your mucous."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It's bizarre and terrible in a way that fascinates. But also it's just straight up weird. You don't know if you're watching a movie that was filmed as a prank or what.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Nothing But Trouble is one of those things that you can't really judge in terms of anything else. It's kind of its own sort of thing.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

DoctorWhat posted:

Easily would be
"That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me"
Fav scene would be the elevator when Egon switches on the pack and starts backing into the corner

Yeah, Ramis was my favorite actor in the movies, mainly because of his scientific approach that could break into something randomly funny.

With Reitman dropping out, GB3 is screaming disaster to me. Just let the idea die and leave the franchise where it is

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 22, 2014

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Aykroyd made Blues Brothers 2000, he'll make anything no matter how bad an idea it is if he can get away with it. :smith:

I actually liked Blues Brothers 2000... though I was in my early 20s. I guess I'll go give it a watch and see if I change my mind.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Timby posted:

The weirdest part is in the interview Reitman gave about him backing out of directing GB3, he says that Ramis got sick three years ago and they kept hoping he'd get better enough to do the movie. That just feels ghoulish ... like, couldn't they have just told Ramis to enjoy his few remaining years?

I don't know if that's what they honestly believed was going to happen. He had near recovered once and then relapsed. Perhaps they thought he'd get better enough again instead of living only another 3 years

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Blues Brothers 2000 is Dan Ackroyd conning an major movie studio into allowing him to get some of his favorite blues performers and songs on film before they died and were forgotten. It might be a lovely movie but I'll always respect him for that.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Delzuma posted:

Blues Brothers 2000 is Dan Ackroyd conning an major movie studio into allowing him to get some of his favorite blues performers and songs on film before they died and were forgotten. It might be a lovely movie but I'll always respect him for that.

Its not that lovely, just can't compete with the original and had some stupid parts, but it was great to see Aretha Franklin selling cars. It does suck it set up for a sequel that will never happen though.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

My favorite line?

"SUBCREATURES! Gozer the Gozerian, Gozer the Destructor, Scourge of the Glethestements, Volguus Zildrohar, the Traveler has come. "
At least that's how it went in an early draft.

Alternately, "Then, during the Third Reconciliation of the Last of the Meketrex Supplicants, they chose a new form for him, that of a giant Sloar! Many Shubs and Zulls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of a Sloar that day, I can tell you."

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

Soulwrangler posted:

My favorite line/moment is "This man has no dick."

Well, that's what I heard!

Bill Murray nails the hell out of that line.

Zombie Tsunami fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 22, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
"I'm gonna send you a..nice fruit basket. I'm gonna miss him!"

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The edited for television version was something like:

"Until the power grid was shut off by Wally the Wonder Weasel."
"Is this true?"
"Yes, this man is some kind of rodent."

Edit: found the clip - it was actually "Wally Wick" which makes even less sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDOi034BEJY

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

The edited for television version was something like:

"Until the power grid was shut off by Wally the Wonder Weasel."
"Is this true?"
"Yes, this man is some kind of rodent."

Edit: found the clip - it was actually "Wally Wick" which makes even less sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDOi034BEJY

This was actually the version I grew up with, taped from TV. When they bust out of the ballroom, I swear Peter says "What a knockabout great fun THAT was!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My favorite line (and how the hell do you even pick that in this movie?) is Winston's "If someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!"

• Locked thread