Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

##Sponsor the Imperial Army Act
##Sponsor the Illyrian Reconquest Act
##Sponsor the Tri-Lingual Literacy Act
##Sponsor the Next Stop, Africa Act
##Sponsor the Merchant Levant Act

Although this may seem a more New Byzantine than Old Roman idea, it is my opinion that the empire was brought to the lowly state in which Alexios I found it due to its inability to properly deal with new peoples, cultures and ideas. So-called barbarians, who could have helped to restore the power of the empire after the ravages of plague, were made our enemies needlessly. Potential alliances with the old Persians were cast aside over our cultural and religious differences, leaving both our empires the weaker for it - with the rise of the Islamic powers, we have seen the damage that this has done. The ancient empire was a multicultural and cosmopolitan place, and I feel that it will be to our advantage to restore this atmosphere of cultural tolerance. As such, I ##Propose the Cosmopolitan Empire Act: the empire must promote cultural tolerance within its borders, and must be willing to work with other powers when feasible to achieve our goals, even if those other powers have cultures unlike our own. Romanness should be defined only by adherence to the law and loyalty to the emperor. Although I am certainly for the continued spread of the Orthodox church, this must be achieved through proper persuasion, for a conversion at the point of a sword is not a conversion at heart.

Also, the strength of the empire absolutely relies on its continued unity and economic prosperity, and so I will ##Propose the Imperial Infrastructure and Centralization Act: the emperor should continue to build up the empire's cities in whatever ways will most benefit the imperial coffers and the prosperity of the people, and should take whatever steps are available to further reduce the power of the duxes and other vassals to act without imperial consent.

Finally, although it does not require a new act as it falls under the Italian Re-Conquista Act, I would like to propose that the reconquest of Pisa should be our next goal within Italy, as this would not only connect our Italian holdings with our Lombardian exclave, it would eliminate a trade rival and give us access to the lucrative markets of the western Mediterranean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##Sponsor the Expansion of Orthodoxy Act
##Sponsor the The Imperial Army Act

OOC: Is it bad that our Serbian/Croatian border angers me in real life?

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

##Sponsor the Evangelism Act

Right now, this is the only bill that feels sensible enough to support.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

## Sponsor the reconquest of Pisa
An excellent point, Pisa must fall too.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

## Sponsor the Expansion of Orthodoxy Act

## Sponsor the Imperial Army Act

I very much like these two acts, in that they don't come from the parties you think they would: the latter Milvian and the former Populares . I think it shows the good faith both of us have put into our little coalition.

## Sponsor the Amended Nomenclature Act

And for the Phanariotes

## Sponsor the Tri-Lingual Literacy Act

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

##Propose the Jewish Reward Act
That the Jewish people, in reward for their financial backing in our Empire's darkest hours and in recognition of Rome's role in repressing them in the days of old, be granted an independent Kingdom or Republic in Africa or Iberia.

##Propose the Naval Reforms Act
Our navies have ruled the Mediterranean with the gift of Greek Fire, but technology may eventually threaten our advantage. Let us invest in naval advances, and ensure that we have sufficient ports!

(OOC: This is an attempt to ensure we're in a good position to colonize come EU4)

##Sponsor the Cosmopolitan Empire Act
Let all people - not just the Greeks, but the Armenians, Italians, Turks, and all others - be citizens of Rome.

AdventFalls fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 23, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

##Sponsor the Assimilate the Theme of Genoa Act even though I'm pretty sure Genoa falls under the whole 'conquer Italy' thing and all.
##Sponsor the Church Tax Break
##Sponsor the Ducal Education Act

Whoo, I'm all about the sponsoring today. I'm happy to tolerate different cultures and their different ideas once their land belongs to us, y'see...

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

MacRomanGuy
Jan 2, 2013

I, MacRomanGuy,
##Sponsor The Imperial Army Act
##Sponsor the Expansion of Orthodoxy Act:
because increasing the power of our Pious, Happy, Renowned, Victorious and Triumphant, ever August Emperor cannot be but a wise and good decision.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

YF-23 posted:

Senator Nightingale! We are Milvians, and we may well not get another chance to propose legislation. We as a party have an agenda to propose, but I fail to see what part of your proposed act is Milvian at all!

Ah, well, permit me to clarify: the douxes are degenerates, and their power relative to the clergy in this empire is, to my mind, precisely backwards to its natural position. I wish to see them utterly neutered, that men and women in the empire will turn only to holy God and his appointed emperor (and, of course his clergymen).

In addition, we have the conquest of the holy land on our agenda, and I meant what I said about our current army structure being inefficient-- I suppose I should also have noted that those inefficiencies saw good Christian men cut down by Arabs, and lost us battles we need not have lost. This bill is as much about preserving Christian lives as anything else-- I fail to see what is "not Milvian" about that!

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

AdventFalls posted:

##Propose the Naval Reforms Act
Our navies have ruled the Mediterranean with the gift of Greek Fire, but technology may eventually threaten our advantage. Let us invest in naval advances, and ensure that we have sufficient ports near or on Iberia!

(OOC: This is an attempt to ensure we're in a good position to colonize come EU4)

If we conquer a portion of Persia/something near Basra, we'll be in an excellent position to colonise Africa and Asia; which, quite frankly, seems far more historically plausible than Eastern Rome colonising the New World. And even so, we might be in a position to at least colonize portions of the Americas, if we pursue a campaign of African expansion heavily enough.

We could even just get a port on the Red Sea, which should eventually suffice for colonisation, albeit at the cost of aggravating the Somalian Lion.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

I hereby
##Sponsor Expansion of Orthodoxy Act
##Sponsor Next Stop, Africa Act
##Sponsor The Imperial Army Act
##Sponsor Tri-Lingual Literacy Act

The best Acts. Let the comedy ensue.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Old Romans
Heraclius Act(Liberate Armenia, Syria, Palestine, and Egypt. Repeal Pilgrimage Protection Act)
Lord Cyrahzax

Illyrian Reconquest Act (Fix our hideous northern border by conquering Serbia and Croatia.)
Skyfinder
--Third Murderer
--Aeromancia

Expansion of Orthodoxy Act (Look for claimants to Catholic thrones, invite them, convert them, and then press their claims)
JT Jag
--DivineCoffeeBinge
--Adept Nightingale
--NewMars
--StrifeHira
--occipitallobe
--AJ_Impy
--Samuel
--YF-23
--Ghostwoods
--Alexey
--Freudian
--Aeromancia
--Skyfinder
--MacRomanGuy
--Lynneth

Next Stop, Africa Act (Put Alexandria and Tunis on the chopping block after Italy and the Holy Land)
DivineCoffeeBinge
--StrifeHira
--occipitallobe
--JT Jag
--Horsebanger
--Ubern00b
--Ghostwoods
--Third Murderer
--Lynneth

Assimilate the Theme of Genoa (Conquer the smoking ruins of the former Republic of Genoa from the Bulgarians mercenaries squatting in the ashes)
Samuel
--DivineCoffeeBinge

Amended Nomenclature Act (Rename all provinces in Greek or Latin. Rebrand Old Romans as Populares and probably get some sort of related EU4 idea or event or something if it lasts until 1444.)
Ubern00b
--Skyfinder

Cosmopolitan Empire Act (Promote cultural tolerance within borders and work with other powers even if they're different cultures)
Third Murderer
--AdventFalls
--DivineCoffeeBinge

Imperial Infrastructure and Centralization Act (Build up holdings to optimize income)
Third Murderer

Jewish Reward Act (Establish an independent Jewish state in Iberia or Africa)
AdventFalls

Naval Reforms Act (Advance in naval technology, finally upgrade our ports, etc.)
AdventFalls

Milvians
The Imperial Army Act (Put our money towards increasing retinues (i.e., +retinue size buildings, etc.)
Adept Nightingale
--Ratoslov
--DivineCoffeeBinge
--NewMars
--j00rBuDdY
--StrifeHira
--JT Jag
--AJ_Impy
--Samuel
--Ubern00b
--Ghostwoods
--Freudian
--Third Murderer
--Aeromancia
--Skyfinder
--MacRomanGuy
--Lynneth

Church Tax Break (Lower Church taxes with whatever goofy thing PB named that realm law)
occipitallobe
--YF-23
--DivineCoffeeBinge

The Varangian Reward Act (Give Jerusalem to the Varangians when/if we get our filthy paws on it)
WilliamAnderson
--Samuel
--YF-23

Evangelism Act (Court Chaplain should always be trying to convert largest pagan state in range, except in cases of heresy or heathenism in our pentarchies)
AJ_Impy
--j00rBuDdY
--YF-23
--OddObserver
--Alexey
--Frozen_flame
--Caustic Soda

Church Inauguration Act (All newly-built holdings must be churches.)
YF-23

Merchant Levant Act (Establish a merchant republic in the Levant)
Rejected Fate
--Third Murderer

No Pally of the Somali Act (Embargo Somalia)
Rejected Fate

Phanariotes
Tri-Lingual Literacy Act (Make Greek, Latin, and Arabic co-equal as the languages of science and scholarship. Get a cool national idea based on this in EU4!)
Ratoslov
--Bart Roberts III
--NewMars
--j00rBuDdY
--occipitallobe
--YF-23
--Ghostwoods
--Alexey
--Third Murderer
--Aeromancia
--TheFlyingLlama
--Skyfinder
--AdventFalls
--DivineCoffeeBinge
--Caustic Soda
--Lynneth

Ducal Education Act (The Emperor, his heir, or an appropriate courtier should educate child douxes whenever possible)
AJ_Impy
--DivineCoffeeBinge

Imperial Wisdom Act (All Born in the Purple children must receive an ecclesiastical education)
YF-23

Paint it White Act (Ban the Black Chamber, which totally exists and is not a fake conspiracy theory)
Rejected Fate

Meaningless Procedural Business (Not votes required)
--New Marians dissolve! Sorry guys, maybe you'll be back when we're playing a game where we can actually meaningfully affect the overall composition of our military. :v:
--Italy now to be conquered in a totally Old Roman way.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 23, 2014

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

I sponsor the
##Expansion of Orthodoxy Act
##Next Stop, Africa Act

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

##Sponsor Jewish Reward Act
##Sponsor The Varangian Reward Act

I feel like actions speak louder than words. Why say we will tolerate someone when we can actually foster diversity, within and outside?

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 23, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Passing the Jewish Reward Act would cause an outbreak of collective apoplexy amongst our assorted Douxes, Episkopi, Old Romans, and all other Imperial worthies of rank and prominence.

How marvelous.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

DentedLamp posted:

If we conquer a portion of Persia/something near Basra, we'll be in an excellent position to colonise Africa and Asia; which, quite frankly, seems far more historically plausible than Eastern Rome colonising the New World. And even so, we might be in a position to at least colonize portions of the Americas, if we pursue a campaign of African expansion heavily enough.

We could even just get a port on the Red Sea, which should eventually suffice for colonisation, albeit at the cost of aggravating the Somalian Lion.

Noted, changed the proposal.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

##sponsor Assimilate the Theme of Genoa
##sponsor Imperial Infrastructure and Centralization Act
##sponsor Jewish Reward Act
##sponsor The Imperial Army Act
##sponsor Evangelism Act
##sponsor Tri-Lingual Literacy Act

Of the acts thus proposed, I believe that these five will lead to the strongest and most enduring Empire. From earning the favor of the downtrodden and disenfranchised to securing new sources of income, these acts would lead to the might of the Empire not fading from this Earth.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

I come late to the proceedings, but for what it's worth I ##Propose the Franco-Roman Alliance Act: While the Franks were once our bitter enemies, they are now one of the truly great powers in the former lands of the Western Empire, and we need allies where we can find them. Their assistance was valuable in the past, and if we must embark on so many wars of conquest, why not let some of the blood spilled come from Paris instead of Constantinople? We should re-establish this alliance as soon as possible to ensure their military support.

I also ##Sponsor the Assimilate the Theme of Genoa Act, ##Sponsor the Imperial Infrastructure and Centralization Act, ##Sponsor the Ducal Education Act and ##Sponsor the Cosmopolitan Empire Act.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

## Sponsor the Amended Nomenclature Act
## Sponsor the Tri-Lingual Literacy Act
## Sponsor the Cosmopolitan Empire Act
## Sponsor the Paint it White Act
## Sponsor the Naval Reforms Act (Chicks dig boats , man.)

The Milvians want us to murder our way through half the known world, again, while building a larger army , but they won't enlist, they won't give up a single solidus to pay for this mess, and now they're begging the Emperor for a tax break?! :monocle:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

I come late to the proceedings, but for what it's worth I ##Propose the Franco-Roman Alliance Act: While the Franks were once our bitter enemies, they are now one of the truly great powers in the former lands of the Western Empire, and we need allies where we can find them. Their assistance was valuable in the past, and if we must embark on so many wars of conquest, why not let some of the blood spilled come from Paris instead of Constantinople? We should re-establish this alliance as soon as possible to ensure their military support.

##Sponsor the Franco-Roman Alliance Act

Also,
##Sponsor the Imperial Wisdom Act

Diplomacy is paramount for realms of every size, and we have been sorely lacking in alliances as of late.

Moreover, a good churchly education would do wonders for the possibilities of reconciliation.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

##Sponsor the Varangian Reward Act
##Sponsor the Naval Reforms Act

Fellow Senators, I must object to this Senate's unbridled bloodlust. Did not our noble Emperor bid us to take heed of the three bills still in force that direct him to conquer nearby territory? Old Romans, splitting our focus to yet more fronts is a recipe for disaster! Remember the folly of Romanos IV, who split his attentions only to suffer the greatest defeat Byzantium has ever seen! Let our unmatched armies complete their current objectives; then we can speak of seizing Africa, Illyria or Armenia.

Milvians, you say you stand for the primacy of our Orthodox faith, for the principles of our Lord, yet you hasten to vote for a proposal that had I not read the signature upon it I would insist was penned by our New Marian colleague. The Kataphraktoi are the vanguard of our forces and are certainly deserving of attention, but what of the spiritual welfare of our realm? It is well and good to demand we spread the Faith to every corner of the world, but pursuing these goals while neglecting our own piety seems a poor trade indeed.

As such I sponsor the Varangian Reward Act, to place the Holy Land in the hands of men capable enough to defend it and traveled enough to realize that any pilgrim is deserving of protection and access to their places of worship - assuming, of course, that the Varangians chosen to lead this new theme are faithful to our Orthodox religion.

I sponsor the Tri-Lingual Literacy Act. The Phanariote coalition's focus on enlightenment and progress is a welcome change from the bloody proposals forwarded by others, and I gladly support their proposal as a stepping stone to greater knowledge and equality for all of our Empire's citizens.

Finally I sponsor the Naval Reforms Act - for if the Old Roman and Milvian's desired conquests do come to pass a mighty navy will be necessary to knit such a fragmented realm together. The distance travelled between Alexandria and Rome on foot is antithetical to a united and powerful Byzantine Empire.

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 23, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I am frankly saddened by this senate. Before I speak of my grievances, however, I will revise my legislative support to include:
##Sponsor the Mechant Levant Act
##Sponsor the Paint it White Act

Now that that is done, I must say I am revolted at how this senate operates and at my own Milvian faction. Starting with Senator Nightingale.

Adept Nightingale posted:

Ah, well, permit me to clarify: the douxes are degenerates, and their power relative to the clergy in this empire is, to my mind, precisely backwards to its natural position. I wish to see them utterly neutered, that men and women in the empire will turn only to holy God and his appointed emperor (and, of course his clergymen).

In addition, we have the conquest of the holy land on our agenda, and I meant what I said about our current army structure being inefficient-- I suppose I should also have noted that those inefficiencies saw good Christian men cut down by Arabs, and lost us battles we need not have lost. This bill is as much about preserving Christian lives as anything else-- I fail to see what is "not Milvian" about that!

As Senator Mirdini pointed out, your act is little more than a New Marian proposal, and trying to weasel your way around to paint it Milvian is more indirect than the double entendres myself and your mother exchanged last night. And it is a great misfortune that your deception is not the only cause of my exasperation, for I am equally if not more mad at the rest of my fellow Milvians for not speaking out against this blatant abuse of power!

To my Milvian colleagues I pose this question: what is the point of our party? What are our priorities? Are they to expand the army? To neglect the moral and spiritual affairs of our Empire in favour of supporting a greater imperial retinue? Do we want to be remembered for our support of the army or the clergy? Are we to permit anyone to wear Milvian garb and erdoe our values like that? Let me make this clear, if the rest of the Milvian party finds it prudent to give up everything that makes us Milvian then I shall find it prudent to withdraw my support towards it.

Having stated my grievances with my party I would like to extend the same questions to the rest of the Senate: is this not a perversion of our party system? Can the parties in the senate permit themselves to abandon their ideology, and instead of standing for something end up standing for nothing? If tomorrow a New Byzantine proposes the restoration of the Roman Empire, or an Old Roman for the abandonment of Roman symbolism would you stand for it? We need limitations on our proposals, fellow senators, otherwise we all risk losing our way when it comes to matters of legislation.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Blackunknown posted:

After hearing Unitas prattle on about "assimilation" senate session after senate session, I would like to counter propose a solution other than "ALL MUST BE GREEK BLARG". I propose the κατανέμονται ως ένα Act(divided as one). This act would allow the fusing of minority culture with Greek culture. This would allow them to become "Greek" while keeping their cultural heritage and language while combining it with Greek heritage and language. This would allow the cultural unity that Unitas so desires without force-assimalating other cultures at sword-point.

OOC: What i'm trying to state here is that when we convert to EU4 instead of having a bunch of non-accepted cultures in our provinices we make them a new culture in the Byzantine culture group( which has very few cultures in it anyway). Cumans and Pechanegs become Greco-Altic, Turks become Greco-Turkic, Arabs become Greco-Arabic, Italians become Sicilian, etc. As the Byzantine Empire is already the cultural union of the Byzantine culture group we would get no penalties from said cultures.

Can we propose two laws? If not, I want to withdraw the Heraclius Act in favor of this:

##propose the Divided As One Act

Unlike the so-called "Cosmopolitan Act" of my colleagues, this Act will actually bring this Empire together! What is the point of the Cosmopolitan Act? It is segregation, pathetic protections that will lead only to resentment and revolt. With this Act, the people of our Empire will meld together and become one family, albeit with many branches! Support a unified empire!

##sponsor the Illyrian Reconquest Act
##sponsor the Next Stop, Africa Act
##sponsor the Amended Nomenclature Act
##sponsor the No Pally of the Somali Act
##sponsor the Assimilate Theme of Genoa Act

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

YF-23 posted:

I am frankly saddened by this senate. Before I speak of my grievances, however, I will revise my legislative support to include:
##Sponsor the Mechant Levant Act

Now that that is done, I must say I am revolted at how this senate operates and at my own Milvian faction. Starting with Senator Nightingale.

As Senator Mirdini pointed out, your act is little more than a New Marian proposal, and trying to weasel your way around to paint it Milvian is more indirect than the double entendres myself and your mother exchanged last night. And it is a great misfortune that your deception is not the only cause of my exasperation, for I am equally if not more mad at the rest of my fellow Milvians for not speaking out against this blatant abuse of power!

To my Milvian colleagues I pose this question: what is the point of our party? What are our priorities? Are they to expand the army? To neglect the moral and spiritual affairs of our Empire in favour of supporting a greater imperial retinue? Do we want to be remembered for our support of the army or the clergy? Are we to permit anyone to wear Milvian garb and erdoe our values like that? Let me make this clear, if the rest of the Milvian party finds it prudent to give up everything that makes us Milvian then I shall find it prudent to withdraw my support towards it.

Having stated my grievances with my party I would like to extend the same questions to the rest of the Senate: is this not a perversion of our party system? Can the parties in the senate permit themselves to abandon their ideology, and instead of standing for something end up standing for nothing? If tomorrow a New Byzantine proposes the restoration of the Roman Empire, or an Old Roman for the abandonment of Roman symbolism would you stand for it? We need limitations on our proposals, fellow senators, otherwise we all risk losing our way when it comes to matters of legislation.

How dare you, sir. I have never been a New Marian-- I am a Milvian, and truer than you, in my opinion, and an Expansionist besides.

My goal, my drive, furthers the very root of our coalition with the Old Romans, which I note you were not so quick to oppose before the session -- perhaps you thought it a good opportunity to further your own pet projects while ignoring the spirit of the very union that permits us to propose legislation at all in this term?

We must re-establish the Pentarchy of old, and display for all of the schismatics in the world the primacy of the Orthodox faith. There is no greater way to spread the faith. And, as those lands can only be taken now at the point of the sword, as good stewards and advisers to our Basileus, we must build of our fighting forces something strong and unified enough to meet the challenge.

You speak of limiting legislation? I say that the notion of handing the Levant over to men whose sole purpose in life is lining their own pockets with further gold is the only un-Milvian legislation on the table here today. By all means, withdraw your support from our ranks! I think the New Byzantines might suit one like you better.

Adept Nightingale fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 23, 2014

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Can we propose two laws? If not, I want to withdraw the Heraclius Act in favor of this:

##propose the Divided As One Act

Unlike the so-called "Cosmopolitan Act" of my colleagues, this Act will actually bring this Empire together! What is the point of the Cosmopolitan Act? It is segregation, pathetic protections that will lead only to resentment and revolt. With this Act, the people of our Empire will meld together and become one family, albeit with many branches! Support a unified empire!

##sponsor the Illyrian Reconquest Act
##sponsor the Next Stop, Africa Act
##sponsor the Amended Nomenclature Act
##sponsor the No Pally of the Somali Act
##sponsor the Assimilate Theme of Genoa Act

The New Byzantines
Steppes and Republics

I would like to thank my fellow Senator for putting my act forward. And to ##Sponser The Divided As One Act

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

The Jews should receive their just dues. Their Jues.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

New Byzantines / Phanariotes

Arshak I Qutuzid

Senators, lend me your ears! Not only as a Byzantine, but as a Phanariote as well.

To begin with I wish to commend the Old Romans for the way they handled the annexation of Rome. For that is what it was: an annexation, and not as most of us feared a conquest. The city and its civilians was spared, and only the armies of the Pope - though drafted civilians amongst them - was dealt with. He fled the city like the coward he was, and the city now seats a Patriarch once again. The Basilleus with his closest men, Old Romans most of them, have showed how they can treat and take care of a nation. That is why I feel surprisingly secure in applauding the Old Roman-Milvian alliance in their victory.

I would also like to commend them both for the many proposals to the Basilleus and the Senate I have found I could agree with, which to my delight is a surprisingly high amount. Many I still might find petty and small, true, but there are many cases of good acts as well.

##Sponsor the Imperial Army Act
Too long have we seen Farmers and Burghers, Peasants and Civilians, Sons and Fathers, being drafted by our Basilleus only to die far away in one or another of our Empire's wars. Widows and fatherless children are left behind, farmlands and stores alike are left empty and ragged. With the establishment of a proper military, an official and professional army instead of our current drafted one, we can secure that our men are the best they can be and not just peasants with a blade. Death will still find them, widows and fatherless children will still be left behind, but our farms will not go unworked, and our stores will not be empty. The Peasants and Burghers will continue their work to bring money and food to their family and empire while our soldiers fight to defend them. The Civilians will be spared the horrors that is war.

I commend Senator Ratoslov for continuing my late father's work, and I commend you my fellow Senators for supporting it. By accepting all three of these as Languages of Science and Learning, equal before the Empire, we can find knowledge not just amongst our own but in our neighbours as well. The works of the mathematician al-Khwarizmi, the philosopher al-Kindi, the astronomer al-Battani, and the physician ibn Sina will find a great home in our future Imperial Library, as will the works of Alcuin of York, St. Isidore of Seville, and St. Bede. As much learning is happening in the West and East as is in Byzantium, and if we do not support all three within our Empire we will fall behind just like the rest of our neighbours.

Likewise, we have survived many a time on the backs of our people, regardless of tongue and faith. Only by accepting every and all as equal citizen of the Empire can we surpass the rest of the world, and show them that trust and loyalty between people and ruler goes both ways. From the Jewish, Pecheneg and Italian merchants to the Turkish, Greek and Varangian soldiers, every man and woman in our empire is of equal worth, and ought to be treated as such.

##Sponsor the Imperial Infrastructure and Centralization Act
Which means we must defend and help them. Rebuild conquered cities, and sponsor their growth so that they can trust our governing. Found new schools and marketplaces to encourage the trade of goods and ideas across the Empire. Take away the power of the Douxes who seek nothing but their own gain. The People will trust the Crown to Govern when the Crown gives the People a reason to do so.

##Sponsor the Varangian Reward Act
And finally, only a true class of Warriors can take care of such a mighty duty. Like the Papists seek to place their Holy Orders in the defence of the Levantine so should we put the Varangians, the fiercest and bravest of the Norsemen. They have proven their worth time and time again for our Basilleus, Orthodox or not, and should thus be given a place to raise their own and call a home in exchange for their future service. To put someone non-committed to defend the holiest of cities, someone who do not care if you're Christian, Mohammedan, Jewish or neither but protects your journey all the same, is to look equally upon our citizen. To promote the exchange of ideas in this holy place is to support the people's right to faith and tongue.

I applaud the Basilleus, the Senate, and the Byzantine Empire itself for holding so dear the values of my departed father - Tolerance, Enlightenment, and Protection - and for restoring my belief in our Empire, its legislative Senate, and its glorious Basilleus. Thank you.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

You speak of limiting legislation? I say that the notion of handing the Levant over to men whose sole purpose in life is lining their own pockets with further gold is the only un-Milvian legislation on the table here today. By all means, withdraw your support from our ranks! I think the New Byzantines might suit one like you better.

Dear Senator, you make it sound like we would hand the entirety of the Levant to the mercantile among us - Jerusalem and all - and this is not so. Merely a small tract of land, to ply needed wares are weaken the Mohammedian hold present there. May I remind the good Senator that it is these men he condemns so that have fought the most valiantly to keep the Holy Land open to Christendom - even if they were Italian heretics.

I say that to make sure our faith is clothed and fed by their brothers rather than opportunist Somalis who no doubt racket up their prices, is a Milvian course of action indeed.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Of course, of course-- and you are well within your rights to propose such legislation, as I would expect of a Fraternalist.

I simply wished to point out my feeling that the senator who condemns my proposal is something of a hypocrite.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

How dare you, sir. I have never been a New Marian-- I am a Milvian, and truer than you, in my opinion, and an Expansionist besides.

My goal, my drive, furthers the very root of our coalition with the Old Romans, which I note you were not so quick to oppose before the session -- perhaps you thought it a good opportunity to further your own pet projects while ignoring the spirit of the very union that permits us to propose legislation at all in this term?

We must re-establish the Pentarchy of old, and display for all of the schismatics in the world the primacy of the Orthodox faith. There is no greater way to spread the faith. And, as those lands can only be taken now at the point of the sword, as good stewards and advisers to our Basileus, we must build of our fighting forces something strong and unified enough to meet the challenge.

If it sounds like a dog, smells like a dog, and acts like a dog, it might as well be a dog, even if it wears the hide of a goat. You may have never been a New Marian, but you act like one. Regardless of your intent, strengthening the army is not a Milvian goal, but a New Marian one, and so your proposal is not a Milvian proposal, but a New Marian proposal, regardless of how many layers of official bureaucracy that gets hidden under.

As for the Levantine Republic, the Fraternalists have joined the Milvians with the premise that their merchants act as Christians first and merchants second. They have given our party their support, and that support is not and cannot be a one-way street. Should you wish to disassociate with them because they are merchants, you should also protest the Milvian aegis they are under.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

If you wish to live in a fantasy world where the military is divorced from the faith, and no military goal can be a Milvian goal, then I can do nothing to convince you and shall waste no further time trying.

I only hope that other senators see as plainly as I do that the fantasy world in which you live bears little resemblance to our own.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

##Sponsor the Heraclius Act
##Sponsor the Expansion of Orthodoxy Act
##Sponsor the Next Stop, Africa Act
##Sponsor the Assimilate the Theme of Genoa
##Sponsor the Amended Nomenclature Act
##Sponsor the Imperial Infrastructure and Centralization Act
##Sponsor the Jewish Reward Act
##Sponsor the Naval Reforms Act
##Sponsor the The Imperial Army Act
##Sponsor the Church Tax Break
##Sponsor the The Varangian Reward Act
##Sponsor the Church Inauguration Act
##Sponsor the No Pally of the Somali Act
##Sponsor the Ducal Education Act
##Sponsor the Imperial Wisdom Act
##Sponsor the Divided As One Act

I'm glad we get this chance to work together, everyone! It's so nice to help get something done! :downs:

Raserys fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 23, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Only through force of arms will the Pentarchy be restored, and is the restoration of the Pentarchy and the mending of the Great Schism, thus bringing the Papists to heel, not the Milvian's greatest and most sought-after goal? I do not see how a bill that reforms the Empire's armies is incompatible with the Milvian's goals.

Not to mention, the Imperial Army act is in many ways in keeping with the Old Roman/Milvian caucus, as it does not explicitly push the goals of the party of the Senator who proposed it, but serves the purposes of both.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Mirdini posted:

Milvians, you say you stand for the primacy of our Orthodox faith, for the principles of our Lord, yet you hasten to vote for a proposal that had I not read the signature upon it I would insist was penned by our New Marian colleague. The Kataphraktoi are the vanguard of our forces and are certainly deserving of attention, but what of the spiritual welfare of our realm? It is well and good to demand we spread the Faith to every corner of the world, but pursuing these goals while neglecting our own piety seems a poor trade indeed.

A point of order: I am the last of the New Marians, and a staunch Milvian by alignment, thus a Milvian penning a bill you believe to be New Marian is the only way a New Marian bill would be published. In any case, I see it more as an example of our Coalition partnership than a purely Milvian offering: I would much prefer my competing Evangelism Act to secure sufficient backing rather than the Army, but I recognise that reducing the power of the Douxes is a key part of our platform. Peace within the Empire is a laudable and Christian goal, and we must put on the armor of faith and fight the good fight if we are to restore our Pentarchs.

Believe me, the healthy spiritual life of those within our empire is paramount to me: I have for many years been at the forefront in calling for heresies to be wiped out, as was done successfully with the papists.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Only through force of arms will the Pentarchy be restored, and is the restoration of the Pentarchy and the mending of the Great Schism, thus bringing the Papists to heel, not the Milvian's greatest and most sought-after goal? I do not see how a bill that reforms the Empire's armies is incompatible with the Milvian's goals.

Not to mention, the Imperial Army act is in many ways in keeping with the Old Roman/Milvian caucus, as it does not explicitly push the goals of the party of the Senator who proposed it, but serves the purposes of both.

The already-passed legislation solidly covers the next step of restoring the Pentarchy however. Our Emperor's hands will be full even considering the present acts demanding the conquest of more territory! The army is already up to task, and unless you have been paying no attention to our history so far the previous Emperors and Empresses have already ensured the Imperial retinues are at the best shape manageable already and any further improvement would be marginal. Senator Nightingale's proposed act is a meaningless piece of legislation that does not represent Milvian interests any more than it represents Old Roman, or New Byzantine, or Komnenian interests!

And I thoroughly protest the notion that because we are in caucus together the legislation proposed must represent that. We get the opportunity to have two Old Roman and a Milvian Act as opposed to three New Byzantine acts enacted. Neither the Old Roman nor the Milvian acts should have to compromise their contents because of the common caucus.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

So the people have voted amongst themselves and have decided to sponsor the following acts:

##Sponsor the Jewish Reward Act
##Sponsor the Franco-Roman Alliance Act
##Sponsor the The Varangian Reward Act

Some of the folks wanted to sponsor such foolish things like the Paint it White Act but I have to maintain some kind of dignity.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

If you wish to live in a fantasy world where the military is divorced from the faith, and no military goal can be a Milvian goal, then I can do nothing to convince you and shall waste no further time trying.

I only hope that other senators see as plainly as I do that the fantasy world in which you live bears little resemblance to our own.

I remind my colleague that his supposed goals will come at great cost to our Empire. As my friends in the Milvian party are expecting to receiveth , I think it's only fair that they should be expected to giveth, and as they seem to think money just falls from the sky I ##Propose the Mana From Heaven Act An immediate tax increase on the clergy to pay for their bloody wars , to support our veterans and their widows and orphans, and to cover the cost of evangelizing to the survivors.
:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I would like to take this opportunity to unofficially announce the founding of a new party (which means I will officially found the party after the next update with the proper paperwork), as the current discussion seems like a good moment to get the word out:

Are you perchance a New Byzantine that thinks the current direction the party is going is too close to the Old Romans?
Are you maybe a Milvian that believes the Pentarchy should not be built upon the blood of believer and unbeliever alike?
Are you a Komnenian that thinks that all these wars are hogging all the nice young people that used to bring you your wine when you couldn't stand anymore?
Or are you simply fed up with the way the expansion of the empire leaves widows and orphans in its wake?

If so, the Inclusionists AKA hippies? are the party for you! We simply ask two questions: "Can't we all just be friends?" and "Don't we have enough already?"

The tenets of the Inclusionist party are rather simple:

1) Aggressive wars are to be avoided at all costs.
2) Defensive wars are to be finished as fast as possible (without giving up, though - just because we want to be friends doesn't mean we don't have self-preservation instincts).
3) The stability of the realm is paramount, and as such expansion should be avoided.
4) A wide-spread decree of toleration is necessary for the long-term stability of the Empire.
5) As such, there should be no active conversion within the realm. If the local rulers convert the populace, then there's nothing we could have really done (beyond replacing rulers, but that would upset the stability), but the Imperial chaplain shall not be actively converting.
6) Any sort of aggressive intrigue is to be cancelled immediately, and a terrible institution such as this hypothetical Black Chamber should not even come close to existing. Defensive intrigue to support the stability of the realm is permitted.
7) Arguments within the Senate involving Inclusionists should be kept to a minimum. We're not here to argue, we simply abide by our code and support the peace in the realm.
8) And finally, the Imperial family should be fostering relations with the large Catholic realms of Europe, for a realm with its unity supported beyond borders is a stable realm.

And while we may not be powerful enough to reach all of those goals, we will try our hardest to support the peaceful endeavors in the realm in the hopes they beat out the aggressive ones.

• Locked thread