Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
What deck? Matyr vs MUD?! What the hell is going on LA.

Oh I've seen this deck before. Hatch has been really loving nivmagus lately. Kind of a Legacy take off a pro tour deck / current tier 3 modern deck that has seen some uptick in play online.

Korak fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Korak posted:

What deck?

Mono-blue Martyr is what they called it. Hatch's plan is apparently to draw his deck with Forecast and kill you with a giant Nivmagus elemental.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Korak posted:

What deck? Matyr vs MUD?! What the hell is going on LA.

A hardcast Blightsteel Colossus.

I am speechless.

EDIT:
Facing a 17-power Nivmagus Elemental.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Skaab Ruinator might be being cast from the graveyard too!

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
This deck is silly and Greg Hatch has been a mad man brewer lately. :D

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skaab Ruinator about to skyrocket to $35.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AgentSythe posted:

Some brewer on MTGS is trying to create a janky graveyard/unearth pod deck for modern and Skaab has legitimately come up as an incredible 3 cmc pod target, so it wouldn't shock me!

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Ninjitsu.

Sky Hussar.

Skaab Ruinator.

Typical Mono-U deck.

logis fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 23, 2014

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Chris just got Ninja'd, haha.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

AgentSythe posted:

Missed buying 16 on TCG player for $0.44 each :(

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

For you guys who enjoy buying short term cards that spike in price, do you actually find people in your area who want them? I can't imagine that many idiots who buy into the latest hype more than once.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Oh my. Food Chain combo on the stream. My god what is happening this weekend.

Edit: Oh this poor fucker casting that adorable Stoneforge Mystic. It's a bloodbath

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 23, 2014

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

AgentSythe posted:

Oh my. Food Chain combo on the stream. My god what is happening this weekend.

Edit: Oh this poor fucker casting that adorable Stoneforge Mystic. It's a bloodbath

The Tyrant of SG

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Brad Nelson just got Notion Thief'ed in response to his Sphinx's Revelation in the Battle of the Brads.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

MrBling posted:

Brad Nelson just got Notion Thief'ed in response to his Sphinx's Revelation in the Battle of the Brads.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Food Chain is a sweet deck just isn't consistent enough to break out as a truly good deck.

Clyde Martin is an awesome Dad. Cute story.

Korak fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 23, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Was browsing Amazon, and I found someone selling Ancestral Recall for 800, and an incredibly :kiddo: review:

quote:

Altought ancestral recall is an ancient card. It is still very powerful and is an awesome first turn card. Ive seen bad reviews on this because they were not invited back to tournaments or were disqualified from them. This card is limited or banned in most tournaments. If the card wasnt so expensive id have a playset worth in my straight blue deck.

Although if you dont first turn this card to get those few extra cards in your hand. You can also use it combos, such as play this card, you could possibly draw a dark ritual and a murder. Then just play the dark ritual and murder.

Also this could be used in mill decks with cards like jaces erasure for the 3rd turn mill so they do 4 on the turn.

The combo i like seeing is when you have the newer green/blue chimera that when you draw a card you gain a life. When your drawing 4 cards those 4 extra life are just great.

point being people just need to check in with their local tournaments or events to see weather the card is banned/restricted before attending. To be safe, save the card for homeplay. The card is very powerful

I can honestly say I hadn't considered comboing it with Jace's Erasure.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Wow, Jared Boettcher facing Brad Nelson. Black Devostion vs Esper Control. Jared has lethal on board but decides to attack Elspeth instead of Brad, next turn Brad topdecks Supreme Verdict to wipe the board and they're still going. Hurts to see that happen in the semifinals...

And now Brad has Elspeth down and killing an Erebos, he needs an answer for a Nightveil spectre and will get either Detention Sphere or Dark Betrayal on a Jace...

This is insane, on the next Jace he gets Azorius Charm and double D-sphere, what the gently caress is happening here?

lockdar fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 23, 2014

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Commander is fun, sometimes

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

vOv posted:

Was browsing Amazon, and I found someone selling Ancestral Recall for 800, and an incredibly :kiddo: review:

I can honestly say I hadn't considered comboing it with Jace's Erasure.

If that's NM that's a great price.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Brad Nelson clapping like a happy idiot at every miraculous topdeck :3:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This loving match....just....this loving match.

What the gently caress, Nelson?!

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Entropic posted:

Brad Nelson clapping like a happy idiot at every miraculous topdeck :3:

I would do that aswell after 4 loving lucky topdecks...

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Holy poo poo crazy epic game at GP Cincinnati, Brad Nelson came back from 1 hp to win his way into the finals. Opponent had lethal with an alpha strike but played around a 4 of in brad's deck instead of pushing for the win himself.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Korak posted:

Holy poo poo crazy epic game at GP Cincinnati, Brad Nelson came back from 1 hp to win his way into the finals. Opponent had lethal with an alpha strike but played around a 4 of in brad's deck instead of pushing for the win himself.

And it ends up being another esper mirror finals :smith:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, Esper control finals at both SCG Open and the GP.

Does this mean Standard is actually has a good metagame? There are like...10 decks that can win depending on what people bring to bear.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
I'm ready to hear all the Esper Control naysayers explain why the deck is bad :getin:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

morning wood posted:

I'm ready to hear all the Esper Control naysayers explain why the deck is bad :getin:
The mana is the only reason I've heard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

A control deck could take down a single event during an entire Standard season and a legion of budget deck players will come screaming out of the woods shouting about how they counter every spell and make you discard your car and shot your dog.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Korak posted:

The mana is the only reason I've heard.

It's not that bad now with more scrylands and less of a reliance on black.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

morning wood posted:

I don't think its bad, if anything its too good and has overstayed its welcome. There were so many other more interesting decks this weekend, but esper still beat them.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

morning wood posted:

It's an boring, uninspired deck with the same base cards which without RtR is completely useless? When rotation happens it's completely dead. Of course this is just my opinion and a esper control guy destroyed my hopes of R/W burn winning two SCG opens in a row.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

morning wood posted:

If you play Esper you are a bad person, so I suppose that makes a deck bad. It warps your very soul.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Samael posted:

It's an boring, uninspired deck with the same base cards which without RtR is completely useless? When rotation happens it's completely dead. Of course this is just my opinion and a esper control guy destroyed my hopes of R/W burn winning two SCG opens in a row.

And when it rotates, everyone will find a new scapegoat to hate upon because it doesn't fit with their personal views.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

RoleModel posted:

And when it rotates, everyone will find a new scapegoat to hate upon because it doesn't fit with their personal views.

At least it won't have Sphinx's Revelation in it.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

RoleModel posted:

Agreed. +5 points for Gryffindor.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samael posted:

At least it won't have Sphinx's Revelation in it.

There will be another card you will completely despise. Probably Prognostic Sphinx.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

There will be another card you will completely despise. Probably Prognostic Sphinx.

You can't make it hexproof when it's tapped right? I mean it can't be that bad. There hasn't been a card in the theros block which I have hated more than Sphinx's Revelation so far, well apart from thoughtseize but thats a reprint so :colbert:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Another slugfest on the scg stream. Paul Rietzel with D&T beats punishing jund on turn 3 of turns in a really good match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samael posted:

You can't make it hexproof when it's tapped right? I mean it can't be that bad. There hasn't been a card in the theros block which I have hated more than Sphinx's Revelation so far, well apart from thoughtseize but thats a reprint so :colbert:

Tapping isn't part of the cost, the cost is just discarding a card, so they can make it hexproof after attacking with it.

• Locked thread