Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Beast and Colossus look angry about something but Wolverine is just scratching his ear and everyone else looks like they're standing around waiting for the lights to change or waving at a friend.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dauher posted:

Since that trailer was too normal and good, they decided to release a counter balancing goofy poster.

Don't hotlink!

And yes the image is real. Got to let people know that Hugh Jackman and Jennifer Lawrence are the main characters

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dauher posted:

Since that trailer was too normal and good, they decided to release a counter balancing goofy poster.

:allears:

Reminds me of the Empire atrocity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That doesn't even look like Hugh either.
And yeah Patrick Stewart looks ridiculous like that

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I like to imagine the burning cityscape in the background is because of the massive jet exhaust coming from Prof. X's floating chair.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
"Hey guys should we do something about those giant flying robots?"
"Nah they're miles away and they're not even flying towards us, let's just keep standing around."

It's a remarkably unexciting poster.

AnonSpore posted:

I like to imagine the burning cityscape in the background is because of the massive jet exhaust coming from Prof. X's floating chair.

It's okay, Colossus is going to punch the fire into submission.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The worst aspects of modern movie posters and standard, boring X-Men posters together at last.

Is it okay to miss the X-Face posters now?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
"I am large. I contain multitudes"
~ Walt "Wolverine" Whitman

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It looks like Xavier is trying to float away from everything behind him.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The Blue & Orange Colored Poster Saga comes to its thrilling conclusion!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Iron Man comes to the rescue as giant mutants destroy Washington DC

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, that CGI on Colossus looks rooouuuugggh, man. I still think it'll be an awesome movie, though.

I don't know why Fox superhero movies both rely so heavily on CGI and also massively cheap out on CGI. I guess because nobody gives a poo poo and everyone still goes to see the movies no matter how terrible they are?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It may still end up looking like rear end on film but trailer shots aren't really a fair indication of FX quality which is no doubt why they were holding back on release a proper trailer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't claim to know what this movie will look like in its final form, it's just that I can remember some truly terrible CGI work in, well, every single X-men film, both FF films, Daredevil, plus the trailers for Elektra.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I'd add Amazing Spider-Man to that list as well. I definitely think Marvel's own studio has better CGI artists overall. Their set-design on the other hand...

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lurdiak posted:

I don't claim to know what this movie will look like in its final form, it's just that I can remember some truly terrible CGI work in, well, every single X-men film, both FF films, Daredevil, plus the trailers for Elektra.

Well there's always going to be some lovely CGI in superhero films :shrug: It all depends on how much they can cover up and stylise when the film is actually released.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I'd add Amazing Spider-Man to that list as well.

Really? The effects work in ASM was pretty fantastic overall, and stuff like the high school fight stood out as particularly good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DFu4ever posted:

Really? The effects work in ASM was pretty fantastic overall, and stuff like the high school fight stood out as particularly good.

I mean it was generally good, because these are still very, very expensive films, but there were definitely moments where I winced at how bad a particular shot looked.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I'd add Amazing Spider-Man to that list as well. I definitely think Marvel's own studio has better CGI artists overall. Their set-design on the other hand...

I'm pretty sure they all use 3rd party studios.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Dauher posted:

http://www.comingsoon.net/gallery/83954/hr_X-Men:_Days_of_Future_Past_134.jpg
It looks like Xavier's chair is powered by flaming farts.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

muscles like this? posted:

They've never really been able to make him look good so it just might be something that doesn't translate to live action.

I actually thought Colossus looked good in X2, but way worse in 3 and this. I think the best thing for them to do is tone down the "polish" to give him more texture instead of the mirror shine finish which always looks kinda fake. Kinda like how Silver Surfer looked when depowered in the second F4 movie.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Everything about DOFP just looks so terrible and hokey to me. The dialogue, the effects, the premise. God, I just really hate the majority of X-Men movies, especially the Bryan Singer ones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NienNunb posted:

Everything about DOFP just looks so terrible and hokey to me. The dialogue, the effects, the premise. God, I just really hate the majority of X-Men movies, especially the Bryan Singer ones.

...So you only like the bad ones?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

...So you only like the bad ones?

I think the only ones I thought were alright were First Class and The Wolverine. X3 is objectively the worst, but Singer just has a way of making movies that I don't give a poo poo about.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

NienNunb posted:

I think the only ones I thought were alright were First Class and The Wolverine. X3 is objectively the worst, but Singer just has a way of making movies that I don't give a poo poo about.

I've basically only liked those 2 and X2 (which I think is the consensus opinion) so you're not being super radical here.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dacap posted:

I actually thought Colossus looked good in X2, but way worse in 3 and this. I think the best thing for them to do is tone down the "polish" to give him more texture instead of the mirror shine finish which always looks kinda fake. Kinda like how Silver Surfer looked when depowered in the second F4 movie.

I really wish there was some way they could achieve the chromed metal look with a practical costume rather than CGI, perhaps incorporating a uniform that covered up areas like the shoulders where the muscle suit would wrinkle in ways that skin doesn't. But I guess even Colossus needs to emote sometimes so he needs to be at least partially CG and a half practical / half CG chromed character would probably be even worse than fully CG.

Edit: also he needs to not reflect the camera and camera crew every time he's on screen I guess. :doh:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 24, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Why does Wolverine have adamantium claws in this movie? Didn't he lose them at the end of the Wolverine? So regardless of whether it's future or past Logan he should have bone claws, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kingtheninja posted:

Why does Wolverine have adamantium claws in this movie? Didn't he lose them at the end of the Wolverine? So regardless of whether it's future or past Logan he should have bone claws, right?

Half the time he will. When he is in his old body they will be bone, but when he is in his young they will be metal.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

I've basically only liked those 2 and X2 (which I think is the consensus opinion) so you're not being super radical here.

1 isn't bad, but it's aged worse than pretty much every other superhero movie, but yes, basically.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hakkesshu posted:

1 isn't bad, but it's aged worse than pretty much every other superhero movie, but yes, basically.

I really hated 1 back when I first saw it but I'm struggling to remember why.

Probably had to do with how they were trying really hard to shove Storm to the forefront because it was Halle Berry.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

bobkatt013 posted:

Half the time he will. When he is in his old body they will be bone, but when he is in his young they will be metal.

Did they just totally write off wolverine origins then? He gets his claws around 1980 or 82 I think in that one. Also if it'd be weird to have an even younger stryker around than the one who gave him his adamantium claws.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Did they just totally write off wolverine origins then? He gets his claws around 1980 or 82 I think in that one. Also if it'd be weird to have an even younger stryker around than the one who gave him his adamantium claws.

I would assume so since Origins also had Emma Frost, and the movie was godawful.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

teagone posted:

Also, Cavill apparently bulked up naturally under guidance of Mark Twight — an insane alpine climber who founded Gym Jones — and completely bought into Twight's/Gym Jones' functional fitness philosophy so he stayed pretty huge even after Man of Steel was done filming

Waitaminute. There is a successful chain of...anything, that has a name that sounds exactly like Jim Jones? I mean, really? OK, yeah, this happened about 4 years before I was even born, but drat. Did no body run this past any kind of marketing person?

For anyone unfamilair with the name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones

Ninja - Holy poo poo, I don't know if this is supposed to be tongue in cheek, or the reporter/writer is just an unfortunate victim of coincidence, but this headline

quote:

At Mark Twight’s Gym Jones, clients pick their poison

Double Ninja - Yeah, it's on purpose.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I still think (had they not killed off Cyclops in 3) the Origins films would have worked pretty good with a better Wolverine Origins to set up premise. Then a Cyclops Origins as a movie where he's trying to reconnect with his brother while helping a former friend piece together the mystery of a boogieman from his childhood orphanage that the kids called 'Mister Sinister'. Then we cap it off with a Magneto Origins that pretty much follows more of his Nazi hunting story from First Class. Then we get X-Men 4, proper, where some of the elements from those films come back. Sort of Phase One/Two/etc. the X-men films.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That sounds loving awful.

That second trailer for Days of Future Past is actually competent, though, which is a pleasant surprise after the rushed together hack-job editing of the last one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I still think (had they not killed off Cyclops in 3) the Origins films would have worked pretty good with a better Wolverine Origins to set up premise. Then a Cyclops Origins as a movie where he's trying to reconnect with his brother while helping a former friend piece together the mystery of a boogieman from his childhood orphanage that the kids called 'Mister Sinister'. Then we cap it off with a Magneto Origins that pretty much follows more of his Nazi hunting story from First Class. Then we get X-Men 4, proper, where some of the elements from those films come back. Sort of Phase One/Two/etc. the X-men films.

No a Cyclops movie would need to be a space romp with his space pirate dad.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Kingtheninja posted:

In the comics, the adamantium is somehow organically bonded to his skeleton (comic science!), so it would grow back with his bones. Maybe they'll use something like that to excuse it in the movie?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Dan Didio posted:

That sounds loving awful.

Again, I'm coming from the perspective that Cyclops is extremely underused in the X-films as it is. Three Origins films that would let them use different/cheaper casts and use them to tell stories fleshing out some of the background universe and expanding characters that might not fit well with the Core X-Men series. So long as Wolverine is/was around in the X-Men movies, not to mention all the extra supporting cast that would be brought in for each new movie, I don't think they were going to give Scott a chance to really be a character.

A solo Cyclops film could have been a chance to help give him some story of his own based on some of his own character mythology.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

In the comics, the adamantium is somehow organically bonded to his skeleton (comic science!), so it would grow back with his bones. Maybe they'll use something like that to excuse it in the movie?

No it is not. In the comics he had it ripped out of his body, and he did not regain it until it was given back to him in an awful storyline. He also lost his nose at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

bobkatt013 posted:

No it is not. In the comics he had it ripped out of his body, and he did not regain it until it was given back to him in an awful storyline. He also lost his nose at this point.

Damnit, is everything I know about comics bullshit? I must have read that off a trading card or something.

• Locked thread