Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

SlyFrog posted:

Do you think we actually play these games? Come on, we obsess over them, buy them, install them, fire them up a couple of times and half-rear end play them, and the begin to obsess over the next cool game that will be out and will be totally awesome.

Does your steam profile look at all like mine, SlyFrog?

That's truer than I'd like to admit. OTOH, I've netted like 90 days of play on Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, over 500 hours of AI War Fleet Command. ... And I still haven't played Dishonored or finished the new XCOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

Edit: I'm also a little mystified as to why people watch streams of the game so much. I can understand watching if you've already played a lot yourself, or if you don't want to play it for whatever reason, but otherwise, aren't you spoiling yourself? Like, all the fun of seeing how things work and what you can do, you've already experienced by proxy.

I'm treating this like I treated the hearthstone stream before I got into the beta.

1)I'm super excited for the game and want to see any content I can to get hype

2)I get to generally see what does and doesn't work so my skill is going to be better going in when I do get to play

i'm not too worried about non-story spoilers because they're pretty much like the units/building/tech in civ, tools I'm going to see a bunch regardless.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

Do you think we actually play these games? Come on, we obsess over them, buy them, install them, fire them up a couple of times and half-rear end play them, and the begin to obsess over the next cool game that will be out and will be totally awesome.

I... God dammit :smith:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
So are we going to get a Age of Wonders III Wizard Initiation Station given the wizard customization options? :v:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I forgot to ask an all important question for my roleplaying purposes: can I give all my avatars proper goony neckbeards, not just the (fe)male dwarves?

Seriously, most of what I see in quills stream isn't anything that I wouldn't have gotten back in the day from poring over an old-school manual when I was supposed to be learning, waiting for the first chance to get home, do homework (or procrastinate) and get the game booted up. Some of those old-school manuals (see appendix F) and your imagination/creativity were much more spoilery than quill's stream. He's doing okay for his position (streaming multiple games), but not thinking several layers deep like I expect someone dedicated to the game would- I'm not sure he's even planning past what is currently visible in the spell research book. You know true OCD grognards will spend an hour looking over all the spells before deciding to go one or two points deep in a magic school.

... I may have owned the five hundred page master of magic strategy guide and read it till it wore out. I may also have not had my own personal computer at that age, making each efficiency more important than just diving in to 'try something out'.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

LordSloth posted:

I forgot to ask an all important question for my roleplaying purposes: can I give all my avatars proper goony neckbeards, not just the (fe)male dwarves?

The sexiest goon:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

... is that Will Ferrell?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

SlyFrog posted:

I don't know if I'm more comfortable knowing that a lot of other people do this as well or if it just highlights how pathetic it really is that we all do.

Either way, shut up. I can hear you over the fingers I'm sticking in my ears.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 25, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Triskelli posted:

Joined the steam group, but severely disappointed you didn't choose Age of Blunders 3 as the name. :colbert:

... gently caress! That's a much better name! :argh:

Gerblyn posted:

Edit: I'm also a little mystified as to why people watch streams of the game so much. I can understand watching if you've already played a lot yourself, or if you don't want to play it for whatever reason, but otherwise, aren't you spoiling yourself? Like, all the fun of seeing how things work and what you can do, you've already experienced by proxy.

I like to fullscreen it and pretend. :allears:

Okay seriously; Its nice to have a tease of whats to come. I watched a few videos, about an hours worth in total then i stopped. Plus its usually fun to watch someone play a game while doing something else if the guy/gal's not horrible.

markgreyam posted:

I don't know if I'm more comfortable knowing that a lot of other people do this as well or if it just highlights how pathetic it really is that we all do.

Either way, shut up. I can hear you over the fingers I'm sticking in my ears.

But then you find that one truly magical game that you sink hour after hour into and suddenly someone asks "Dude, how did you get over a thousand hours in a MONTH?! Thats not even...There isn't even... :psyduck:"

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 25, 2014

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Question for Gerblyn or anyone else who might know for some reason. Is AoW3 getting a midnight release or a regular 10 AM Pacific Steam release? I'm kinda planning to take a day off work for this :blush:

Also the GOG version has no Steam integration, so that could release at a different (earlier!?) time than the normal Steam version that is sold elsewhere, right?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Ojetor posted:

Question for Gerblyn or anyone else who might know for some reason. Is AoW3 getting a midnight release or a regular 10 AM Pacific Steam release? I'm kinda planning to take a day off work for this :blush:

Also the GOG version has no Steam integration, so that could release at a different (earlier!?) time than the normal Steam version that is sold elsewhere, right?

I don't know about the release time but, while I'll stand corrected on it, I'm pretty certain that in the past when stuff has been released on GoG and Steam on the same day, it has appeared on GoG earlier.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
We're hoping for a 9AM PST release on Steam, with GoG coming at about the same time. It's not us who pushes the button though, so we can't guarantee that it will be out there then.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Darkrenown posted:

I'm watching the Quill18 LP at the moment, one of the things bothering him is the lack of a button to switch to your next/prev cities. Does such a thing exist?

Not sure if this was missed with the "Why watch streams?" chat.

Also, now I have watched the whole thing I'm a little concerned the battle AI is too willing to walk past multiple units -triggering multiple attacks of opportunity- to hit another target. But then, that could be AI being dumb and not considering AoOs, or it could be "gently caress it, I am doomed, may as well do max damage before I die" thinking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Not sure if this was missed with the "Why watch streams?" chat.

Also, now I have watched the whole thing I'm a little concerned the battle AI is too willing to walk past multiple units -triggering multiple attacks of opportunity- to hit another target. But then, that could be AI being dumb and not considering AoOs, or it could be "gently caress it, I am doomed, may as well do max damage before I die" thinking.

I did notice that quite often, when that happens, it did more damage to the player's army than they would have sustained otherwise. It doesn't make the hugest amount of sense for random monsters but it does make sense if whoever is controlling the enemy treats that unit as part of a larger whole, the point being not to ensure their survival but to dick over the player as much as possible and slow them down.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I think of it as Fire Emblem logic. Those bastards have no self preservation and will do their best to make you reset the map by killing a unit

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Also if the AI is too smart about AoOs, then you never get to use them. Which just plain sucks.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

OwlFancier posted:

I did notice that quite often, when that happens, it did more damage to the player's army than they would have sustained otherwise. It doesn't make the hugest amount of sense for random monsters but it does make sense if whoever is controlling the enemy treats that unit as part of a larger whole, the point being not to ensure their survival but to dick over the player as much as possible and slow them down.

I'm fine with random monsters doing it, so long as it is a case of maximising the dick-overing rather than not accounting for AoOs. I just haven't seen enough of it to say which it was doing, so if you're seeing the former that's good.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Darkrenown posted:

I'm fine with random monsters doing it, so long as it is a case of maximising the dick-overing rather than not accounting for AoOs. I just haven't seen enough of it to say which it was doing, so if you're seeing the former that's good.

Yeah whenever I see it happen in streams it's usually to flank some unit and wreck its poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

A good example is when quill is fighting a queen spider, he laughs at it running through about 5 opportunity attacks, but it also eats his crossbowmen when it gets to the other end.

Seems like the monsters are using XCom levels of AI dickery.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It'd be cool if different types of units would have different types of AIs too. Other player's AI would always be as dickish as possible of course, but indep monster AIs might be more self preserving or run away if things looked bad, depending on the type. Probably hard enough to get ONE kind of AI working well in the first place though, but it might be a neat addition for future releases.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The AI usually only takes AoOs if it thinks it can kill things, I think there's a bug in it somewhere though. 90% of the time, I understand why it does it, but very occasionally an AI unit will just take an AoO and kill itself, and I don't know why. I'm not really able to fix any non-critical issues at the moment though, so if I find something it it will have to wait for a patch or two :(

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It'd be cool if different types of units would have different types of AIs too. Other player's AI would always be as dickish as possible of course, but indep monster AIs might be more self preserving or run away if things looked bad, depending on the type. Probably hard enough to get ONE kind of AI working well in the first place though, but it might be a neat addition for future releases.

It kind of already does that. AI for player controlled units focuses heroes and leaders, while Indy AI doesn't. There's also a spite mode, where if the AI is losing badly enough, it just says "gently caress it" and does as much damage as it can.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

The AI usually only takes AoOs if it thinks it can kill things, I think there's a bug in it somewhere though. 90% of the time, I understand why it does it, but very occasionally an AI unit will just take an AoO and kill itself, and I don't know why. I'm not really able to fix any non-critical issues at the moment though, so if I find something it it will have to wait for a patch or two :(

It kind of already does that. AI for player controlled units focuses heroes and leaders, while Indy AI doesn't. There's also a spite mode, where if the AI is losing badly enough, it just says "gently caress it" and does as much damage as it can.

If it works 90% of the time that's fine, the other 10% simulates making mistakes.

The spite mode is pretty evident from watching the AI play and I think it's a grand idea, makes it a lot harder to divide and conquer units which are all about self preservation if occasionally they just kamikaze you. Also helps to finish battles quicker which I appreciate.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
As I understand it, some units in this series have imunities to certain damage types, sometimes several. So what happens if the last units left in a battle are immune to each other?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Rudi Starnberg posted:

As I understand it, some units in this series have imunities to certain damage types, sometimes several. So what happens if the last units left in a battle are immune to each other?

Staring contest.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Gerblyn posted:

There's also a spite mode, where if the AI is losing badly enough, it just says "gently caress it" and does as much damage as it can.

:allears:

This is great. You guys are great.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If it works 90% of the time that's fine, the other 10% simulates making mistakes.

That's true, it's also possible there aren't any real problems, just prioritization issues. The AI thinks some units are more important to target than others, and if that priority gets too high then the AI will literally kill its own units in order to damage them.

One of the things about the AI taking AoOs is it means the AI tends to do things human player's don't expect. Most people hate damaging their units, and they assume the AI works the same way, and to a degree it does. But the AI is scanning for situations where it can slip past one unit to kill another, while a human will typically just say "I can't get there because an AoO is in the way, so I'll ignore it.".

People also tend to forget that AoOs are not actually free attacks. So I can take a Shadow Stalker, which has 60% physical damage resistance, and walk it through an enemy army. It takes 6 opportunity attacks, and now the attacking units have lost action points. They can't retaliate as much against my squishier units, and they can't move or attack as much in their own turn. The AI isn't really smart enough to understand this though, it's just a happy side effect of its mistakes.

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Battles end after 30 rounds, or after 5 rounds where no damage was dealt. We used to have an issue where settlers (which can't attack) would run away in tactical combat. This meant if you attacked a settler with some infantry and did autocombat, you would lose, since the infantry couldn't catch up to them and the battle would time out. We had to add a system so that settlers who were on their own in battle would be "Paralyzed with fear" and unable to move.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 26, 2014

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Battles end after 30 rounds, or after 5 rounds where no damage was dealt.

It would be amazing if you had the sun setting towards the end of the 30 turns.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

That's true, it's also possible there aren't any real problems, just prioritization issues. The AI thinks some units are more important to target than others, and if that priority gets too high then the AI will literally kill its own units in order to damage them.

One of the things about the AI taking AoOs is it means the AI tends to do things human player's don't expect. Most people hate damaging their units, and they assume the AI works the same way, and to a degree it does. But the AI is scanning for situations where it can slip past one unit to kill another, while a human will typically just say "I can't get there because an AoO is in the way, so I'll ignore it.".

People also tend to forget that AoOs are not actually free attacks. So I can take a Shadow Stalker, which has 60% physical damage resistance, and walk it through an enemy army. It takes 6 opportunity attacks, and now the attacking units have lost action points. They can't retaliate as much against my squishier units, and they can't move or attack as much in their own turn. The AI isn't really smart enough to understand this though, it's just a happy side effect of its mistakes.

This is some great background on how the AI works and I can't wait to exploit it with sacrificial archers. I'm curious actually, how big is the programming team?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm curious actually, how big is the programming team?

About 8 people, but 2 or 3 are usually interns so they keep getting swapped in and out. It's actually a very small coding team, all things considered.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

About 8 people, but 2 or 3 are usually interns so they keep getting swapped in and out. It's actually a very small coding team, all things considered.

Will you be keeping the whole team after release? I imagine there's some work to be done with bug fixing but also a lot of effort put into DLC and a future expansion.

On that note, what is your DLC philosophy? Primarily cosmetic? Or feature upgrades like new classes, spell packs, campaigns and map scenarios? I'm very impressed with the Paradox model for DLC's where you can get a ton of cosmetic updates for a pittance, but the bigger DLC all introduce new and interesting mechanics on top of everything else they add.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 26, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

Will you be keeping the whole team after release? I imagine there's some work to be done with bug fixing but also a lot of effort put into DLC and a future expansion.

On that note, what is your DLC philosophy? Primarily cosmetic? Or feature upgrades like new classes, spell packs, campaigns and map scenarios? I'm very impressed with the Paradox model for DLC's where you can get a ton of cosmetic updates for a pittance, but the bigger DLC all introduce new and interesting mechanics on top of everything else they add.

I can't really discuss personnel decisions I'm afraid. We are going to still be working on the game for a while though, so it's all hands on deck for the expansion after this. I don't know if we have any small DLC things planned though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Haha yeah I have to stop asking questions I know you can't actually answer :v: I didn't actually mean if you were gonna keep them on staff, I meant how you would be focusing your efforts after release. You probably can't really answer that either though.

For me, and hopefully a lot of other fans, I would happily pay for a race pack DLC that contains Frostlings, Lizards and so on. I personally wasn't happy with the decision to homogenize the two elven races but I can understand it from a management perspective especially because you're a small team. Then again it would be preferable as a consumer to see you add in new races with expansions but I'd still buy campaigns with good maps and writing :)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I can understand that and I'm pretty sure the first expansion is gonna have new races in it. I think we're more likely to go for 1 big expansion rather than lots of little ones because it's cheaper and easier for us that way. Each DLC needs to be tested separately and we have to take into account what happens if some does have DLC A and doesn't have B, stuff like that. Not saying that we won't do it, of course, just what I personally see as likely.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

AoO's have the same mechanics as regular hits, a range of potential damage and reduced further on a miss? Would the AI take an action that would kill a unit on an unexpectedly high damage roll because it's counting on that not happening?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 26, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

AoO's have the same mechanics as regular hits, a range of potential damage and reduced further on a miss?

They do have the same mechanics as regular hits, just like retaliation strikes do. Regular strikes cannot miss though, so there's no damage reduction there. The only things that can miss are "Save Or X" type spells and abilities.

quote:

Would the AI take an action that would kill a unit on an unexpectedly high damage roll because it's counting on that not happening?

Yes, in most cases the AI adds 10% to incoming damage when doing checks, when the worst case is 20% more damage. There are other factors though, the AI will add more for leaders and heroes to try and stop them taking damage and will actually go the other direction for units it has mind controlled because it wants them to die.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, I can understand that and I'm pretty sure the first expansion is gonna have new races in it. I think we're more likely to go for 1 big expansion rather than lots of little ones because it's cheaper and easier for us that way. Each DLC needs to be tested separately and we have to take into account what happens if some does have DLC A and doesn't have B, stuff like that. Not saying that we won't do it, of course, just what I personally see as likely.

That will also be cheaper for the customer too, since you don't have to charge as much to get the same overall profit. (Since you won't have to do all that testing which takes time, effort and ergo money.)

But I hope you'll make more than one expansion if they sell and if you still have good ideas. :)

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Keisari posted:

That will also be cheaper for the customer too, since you don't have to charge as much to get the same overall profit. (Since you won't have to do all that testing which takes time, effort and ergo money.)

But I hope you'll make more than one expansion if they sell and if you still have good ideas. :)

In a perfect world I'd like them to be adding both classes and races, although there isn't much that isn't being covered thematically/mechanically by the current classes. A psion class with the return of Shadow Demons would be pretty baller, I think, but that's probably just me.

Angling Dragon
Nov 15, 2012
Warlord Class page and video is up.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

In a perfect world I'd like them to be adding both classes and races, although there isn't much that isn't being covered thematically/mechanically by the current classes. A psion class with the return of Shadow Demons would be pretty baller, I think, but that's probably just me.

I hope they add new mechanics with all that junk too. Stuff like enemy within for x-com or the civ 5 expansions really serve to make things fresh even if you played the base game to death.

[e] Who decided the order of the class reveals? You'ed think that they would get the holy trinity (warrior,mage,rogue) out of the way first.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In the video there is a town called 'Bismorc' which I think might have to be the name of my orc dreadnought.

Also I spotted that one of your books is 'Catch them All' by 'Ashley Katsum'

Someone on the dev team is having fun I see.

• Locked thread