Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I wonder what the deal is with that question mark in the corner of the Gamepad screen for GBA games.

It's probably just something boring, but other VC games haven't had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I forgot Japan got both Advance Wars 1 and 2 as a single package.

So in turn they'll get a better value of paying once for two games instead of paying for each one individually.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I wonder what the deal is with that question mark in the corner of the Gamepad screen for GBA games.

It's probably just something boring, but other VC games haven't had it.

I imagine it'll be some settings or resizing options.

And imagine that, the games do look rather dimmed out.

It might just be me but they at least sound better than they used to.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 26, 2014

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can't help but notice that Japan's getting Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World on their VC. ...Why? At least Yoshi's Island GBA had six new levels, and SMB3 has all those E-Reader levels they could probably implement.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Jeez, I had forgotten how washed out GBA Super Mario World was. I'm not even bothered all that much by the dimness of these emulators, but those colours are just plain horrible.

Last Celebration posted:

I can't help but notice that Japan's getting Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World on their VC. ...Why? At least Yoshi's Island GBA had six new levels, and SMB3 has all those E-Reader levels they could probably implement.

There are small things, like Luigi being more Luigi-esque and getting hit as Fire Mario won't turn you straight into small Mario.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japan's also doing a "buy one, get 30% off a second game" GBA VC launch sale, incidentally. Standard price is 702yen, I guess that's before tax?

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Seems to a bit of mistranslation, it's buy one, get 30% of all the others. Japan will be doing the same thing at the end of April with:

M&L: SS
Mario Tennis
LoZ: Minish Cap
Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
Metroid Fusion
Wario Land 4

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Japan's also doing a "buy one, get 30% off a second game" GBA VC launch sale, incidentally. Standard price is 702yen, I guess that's before tax?
Sounds like I was on the mark then. 7-8 USD, maybe $9 for Minish Cap because the Zelda games have a dollar premium on them in the 3DS eShop for whatever reason. Now I wonder what the DS price point will be. $12-15 maybe?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Sounds like I was on the mark then. 7-8 USD, maybe $9 for Minish Cap because the Zelda games have a dollar premium on them in the 3DS eShop for whatever reason. Now I wonder what the DS price point will be. $12-15 maybe?

I don't think they do variable pricing on Wii U in the same way they do on 3DS, do they? (aside from Earthbound and all the games with the Square Tax)

On 3DS, Game Boy/Game Gear games have always been $3/4/5, GBC games have always been $4/5/6, NES games are usually $5 but occasionally $4 if the game is especially simple (or an import, oddly enough). Wii U stuff is pretty much just flat prices across the board.

Champeenship posted:

Seems to a bit of mistranslation, it's buy one, get 30% of all the others. Japan will be doing the same thing at the end of April with:

M&L: SS
Mario Tennis
LoZ: Minish Cap
Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
Metroid Fusion
Wario Land 4

Oops, my bad.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 26, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
That's kind of goofy to release Nightmare in Dreamland after Amazing Mirror and not the other way around. But at least they're being good in Japan launching with most of the big games.

I worry for how it'll be everywhere else.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 26, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

You can see footage of Japan's GBA VC launch games here.

Also worth noting: Japan is getting Donkey Kong Land on the 3DS VC next week.

Oh boy please let this means DKL and DKC will be back on VC.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Champeenship posted:

Jeez, I had forgotten how washed out GBA Super Mario World was. I'm not even bothered all that much by the dimness of these emulators, but those colours are just plain horrible.

There are small things, like Luigi being more Luigi-esque and getting hit as Fire Mario won't turn you straight into small Mario.
Now's as good a time as any to share a video going over the differences in all the Super Mario World versions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRbrCXL4lv8

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
European line-up of GBA games on VC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nkrQmlmeYc&feature=player_detailpage

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga 03/04

Advance Wars 03/04

Metroid Fusion 03/04

WarioWare 10/04

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror 10/04

FZero Maximum Velocity 17/04

Golden Sun 17/04

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island 24/04

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 26, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here are the games/dates from the trailer:

April 3
Advance Wars
Metroid Fusion
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

April 10
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
WarioWare Inc: Mega Microgames!

April 17
F-Zero: Terminal Velocity
Golden Sun

April 24
Yoshi's Island

EDIT: beaten, oh well

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm probably going to end up buying all of those apart from Yoshi's Island, since I'm holding out for the SNES version. And maybe not Golden Sun either.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Official press release puts 'em at €6.99 / £6.29 each.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm probably going to end up buying all of those apart from Yoshi's Island, since I'm holding out for the SNES version. And maybe not Golden Sun either.

The GBA has Yoshi's post-SNES cries, but they added six pretty good bonus levels, so maybe look into it?

And holy crap at that lineup. Was the Wii/3DS frontloaded with great stuff too before they staggered the release dates for noteworthy stuff?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Jesus, and as far as we know North America is still only getting 3 games. You're our best selling region, gently caress you!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Golden Sun looks stunningly beautiful on a big screen so everyone should get that. And holy crap that's way better a lineup than I expected, I was just expecting the 3DS Ambassador games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

Jesus, and as far as we know North America is still only getting 3 games. You're our best selling region, gently caress you!

NOA just put out their PR:

April 3
Advance Wars ($7.99)
Metroid Fusion ($7.99)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga ($7.99)

April 10
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror ($6.99)
WarioWare Inc: Mega Microgames! ($6.99)

April 17
F-Zero: Terminal Velocity ($6.99)
Golden Sun ($7.99)

April 24
Yoshi's Island ($7.99)

SMB3 is finally out on both platforms on the 17th, too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

April 3
Advance Wars ($7.99)
Metroid Fusion ($7.99)

April 10

April 17
Golden Sun ($7.99)

April 24
Yoshi's Island ($7.99)

Well alright then! Hope they have the discount program too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

April 3
Advance Wars ($7.99)
Metroid Fusion ($7.99)

April 10

April 17
Golden Sun ($7.99)

April 24
Yoshi's Island ($7.99)

Any mention if we're getting something like Japans buy one, get 30% off deal? Cause that'd be cool, but knowing Nintendo, I doubt it.

Also :lol:, SMB3 5 months later.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Handsome Ralph posted:

Also :lol:, SMB3 5 months later.

Actually it was announced in August 2013, so 7 months ago.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I guess I should consider myself lucky that Earthbound was announced in April and out by July I think?

I get why they are holding it back (NES Remix 2) but it's still dumb.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Please please let's go DKC trilogy and Metroid Zero Mission. I hope this is the start of a trend for new VC games every week and not just a "big dump for this month then loving nothing but one game a month for all year" because that would be abhorrent. I'm not optimistic on it :(

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

.TakaM posted:

Now's as good a time as any to share a video going over the differences in all the Super Mario World versions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRbrCXL4lv8
Whoa, they changed Luigi in the All-Stars combo version of SMW?! My mind is blown. :aaaaa: Always assumed the GBA port was the first time they changed anything.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

April 3
Advance Wars ($7.99)
Metroid Fusion ($7.99)

April 10

April 17
Golden Sun ($7.99)

April 24
Yoshi's Island ($7.99)

Honestly if Nintendo's plan was to stuff April with GBA games to hold players over till Mario Kart in May, it totally worked for me. I will probably buy most of those games.

Maybe they'll put Pokemon Emerald on the eshop and everybody will finally get the console pokemon game they've been waiting for :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I have a lot of those as a 3DS ambassador, but I'll be damned if I'm not going get me some Advance Wars and Superstar Saga. Should be more than enough to get through to Dark Souls 2 at the end of the month.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Advance Wars is really tempting, savestates are a big feature for me since I sucked so much at it back in the day :ohdear:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So Europe is getting Nintendo Pocket Football Club (Calcobit in Japan I believe?) on the 17th of next month if its page in the eShop is to be believed.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Crawfish posted:

So Europe is getting Nintendo Pocket Football Club (Calcobit in Japan I believe?) on the 17th of next month if its page in the eShop is to be believed.

I really hope it ends up in the US as well. I mean it'd be a good time to do it with the World Cup around the corner and all. Not to mention it's already translated to English.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I've never played Advance Wars but if they do a 30% off promotion in NA like Japan is, I'll probably pick it and a few of these up.

I want Zelda, drat it!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I've never played Advance Wars but if they do a 30% off promotion in NA like Japan is, I'll probably pick it and a few of these up.

I want Zelda, drat it!

Minish Cap will be there before long since it's an ambassador game. I'm waiting for the GBA Castlevania games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just announced for tomorrow: Sonic Lost World is getting a second free DLC crossover addon thing: The Legend of Zelda Zone, which is a free-roaming mini-adventure in which all your creepy fanfics come true.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I played a little bit of Kirby and the Amazing Mirror on my ex's ambassador 3ds but didn't get far into it, is it good? All I remember is a bunch of branching paths that were tough to get to.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah, it's pretty good, it's kind of a Kirby Metroidvania.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is Sonic Lost World any good? I liked Sonic Generations a lot...hoping Lost World is good.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kirios posted:

Is Sonic Lost World any good? I liked Sonic Generations a lot...hoping Lost World is good.

There's a demo. I liked Sonic Generations a lot as well. The demo is... different... from Generations. :/

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I want Zelda, drat it!

If you like Fire Emblem you'll probably like Advance Wars. AW is so much more difficult though. Back when it first came out, it took me months to beat both campaigns. (But I guess save states will make it a lot easier if you decide to use them)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Lost World 3DS is mediocre at best and requires a ton of Gyro sensor usage after the second world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Lost World on the Wii U is okay. It's not as good as generations, the controls take some getting used to, and some level design can be pretty frustrating, but on the whole I liked it.