Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Just out of curiosity, how does a 3 healer 1 skald 4 savage team lose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

ded posted:

Without any shaman buffs you mean? (All buffs on Genesis appear to have a maximum range), beyond that the stat bonuses vanish. Other than that Alb/Hib caster heavy groups are quite popular AND strong. Usually nuking down the savages first and keeping the healers unable to heal with a zerg of pets on them (in addition to the 5 second unable to cast after each hit)

Current setup, after the "Savage > all" FotM, seems to be replacing one savage by a warrior for Shieldslam on MA target.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

Midgard's little secret
What did Cody do this time?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

ded posted:

No shaman buffs, for one.
That group is full of super bad people because they're not running a Shaman.
Hib groups with 12 insta heals.
-62% heat debuffs.
Bugged interrupt code. Casts pretty much always go off.
That one Alb group had SoS and VP up.
A hib caster group uses voice communication and has enough brain power to yell "PRES BUTAN!!!!" and then instantly kill one of said savages.

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?
Haven't played in weeks, they fix lag yet and server downs yet or is still unstable as gently caress?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Woodhouse posted:

Haven't played in weeks, they fix lag yet and server downs yet or is still unstable as gently caress?

ded posted:

Genesis has been up and stable for over 72hrs now. Even the epic mobs respawn properly now.

Current uptime since maint on tuesday is 45hr. Lag is pretty much gone also I've only hit it a few times, mostly in housing.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Woodhouse posted:

Lag is virtually gone. An occasional hiccup as mentioned, not even noticable. Especially in RvR. Uptime/stability is extremely high, I haven't been in a single zone freeze in over a week. Now is a good time to start playing again. Though you're behind on RR's with most of the consistent players being RR6+

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I don't play any more and can't ever again (too addictive) but it's refreshing to see that assjamming and adding are still debated to this very day. :D

What's this Genesis stuff? They bring back OF?

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Old Frontiers, Old RAs and SI

No ToA/Bainshees/Heretics/etc

FknMeh
Dec 9, 2008

How rainbows are made...

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't play any more and can't ever again (too addictive) but it's refreshing to see that assjamming and adding are still debated to this very day. :D

What's this Genesis stuff? They bring back OF?

Yup, come back. Play Mid. =P Post in game name here and I'll track you down for guild invite.

bongsnake
Jul 28, 2004
We're Jammin
I deleted all of my albs and rerolled mid on genesis and its pretty rad over here.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Could just be Hib-side but it seems like the Genesis pop has dropped dramatically the last week or so

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
TESO Beta weekend and imminent release without a doubt has something to do with it. (at least it was my excuse for not logging in)

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Ya, I mean I was barely on this weekend but just logged on and did a /who all

123 people hib side.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
People got mad about the instability and the select free lvl 50 20 plat xfers. The instability is fixed but people already got sick of it.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

ded posted:

People got mad about the instability and the select free lvl 50 20 plat xfers. The instability is fixed but people already got sick of it.

Think it also has something to do with the people that soldiered through the garbage and are now rr6+ and rolling everyone.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Man I'd love to come back to this game (especially for Genesis), but I am an old school Albion player, and even though it isn't a great realm to play on, I just love their classes the most. Reaver's and Necromancer's especially. Never really got all that much into Mid classes, especially after the Thane was such a disappointment. Hib isn't too bad, and Animists are a bit easy mode for farming.

So with the new changes this server is down in pop? Might be a good time to log in for it then.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

The Dark Project posted:

Man I'd love to come back to this game (especially for Genesis), but I am an old school Albion player, and even though it isn't a great realm to play on, I just love their classes the most. Reaver's and Necromancer's especially. Never really got all that much into Mid classes, especially after the Thane was such a disappointment. Hib isn't too bad, and Animists are a bit easy mode for farming.

So with the new changes this server is down in pop? Might be a good time to log in for it then.

Reavers and cabalists are the best things ever. My irl buddy was already playing and set up on Hib else we most likely would have gone Alb. But ya, the pop is down currently and people are constantly spamming about Uthgard. That being said, I'll most likely be alternating between ESO/Genesis/Uth as soon as it's back up.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I still like Genesis a lot, I just did not find the time to play last few days.

Fact is : I really (REALLY) dig the grouping exp bonus. It drastically improved the sub-50 community and it was really easy to level without making it too trivial.
I will not play on Uthgard if the experience rate is anything like it was in the past. These freeshards are nice and all but I don't think I can stomach another 1-50 grind + crafting grind unless they make it a fun experience like it was on Genesis.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Evernoob posted:

I still like Genesis a lot, I just did not find the time to play last few days.

Fact is : I really (REALLY) dig the grouping exp bonus. It drastically improved the sub-50 community and it was really easy to level without making it too trivial.
I will not play on Uthgard if the experience rate is anything like it was in the past. These freeshards are nice and all but I don't think I can stomach another 1-50 grind + crafting grind unless they make it a fun experience like it was on Genesis.

Thing about Uthgard and it's slower exp is that it's a long-term server. It was up for 12 years or some poo poo without a wipe. The xp is not at all bad as people make it out to be. If you actually know where to go/how to herd cats, you can do 1-50 in a week. Other free servers come and go. Genesis isn't the first, and won't be the last that promised the moon. But Genesis some how got hyped to poo poo. It just came at a time when Uthgard made some seriously dumbass decisions. (Removing Thidrank, making people go out to emain at RR2 instead of 4L2.)
All things said, DAoC populations ebb and flow, the same people take breaks, come back, on and on. I've seen Uthgard not crest 750 players on weekends for weeks, then suddenly it's pushing 1100 for weeks. On and on.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

PriNGLeS posted:

Thing about Uthgard and it's slower exp is that it's a long-term server. It was up for 12 years or some poo poo without a wipe. The xp is not at all bad as people make it out to be. If you actually know where to go/how to herd cats, you can do 1-50 in a week. Other free servers come and go. Genesis isn't the first, and won't be the last that promised the moon. But Genesis some how got hyped to poo poo. It just came at a time when Uthgard made some seriously dumbass decisions. (Removing Thidrank, making people go out to emain at RR2 instead of 4L2.)
All things said, DAoC populations ebb and flow, the same people take breaks, come back, on and on. I've seen Uthgard not crest 750 players on weekends for weeks, then suddenly it's pushing 1100 for weeks. On and on.

He's right, when I started on Mid Uth I managed to level really fast [given, this some helped by the fact that I was playing both a shaman and a sword and board thane with MoB] but the longevity of Uthgard is really the big pull for me. Genesis pop has already dropped to a fraction of what is was 2 months ago. There's already quite a few r7+ people and groups, Methz is nearing r8, and most people are staying in Leirvik instead of heading to big boy RvR.

I grouped with 6 people this weekend that were already at the Leir rp cap [I believe it's 4L0] and just didn't have the urge to move out to Emain because they don't enjoy it on their mains.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

What was the population split like on Uthgard pre-wipe? I understand there weren't realm lockouts so a lot of people had characters in all 3 realms, but in general was any one realm over-populated (in the recent past)?

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

What was the population split like on Uthgard pre-wipe .... in general was any one realm over-populated (in the recent past)?
It was like 40% hibernia, 30% midgard, 20% albion.

People would trade money crossrealm and the exchange rates didn't heavily favor one realm over another, so there were shitloads of animists farming. Highest RR people were hibernia too from what I saw.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
So is the verdict to play Uthgard or Genesis? I think I played Uth for a while (does it allow SoA characters like Reavers?) and the grind was hideous. Has Genesis changed much about the classes or is it just a regular non-ToA server?

Edit: Nevermind, my lovely old computer won't let me play it anyway, sigh.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 20, 2014

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tom Powers posted:

People would trade money crossrealm and the exchange rates didn't heavily favor one realm over another, so there were shitloads of animists farming. Highest RR people were hibernia too from what I saw.

The herald on Uthgard had a page for population. And at best it was 34-35% Realm With Relics, 32% hib, 33% mid. It was pretty much a dead even split, at all times.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Tom Powers posted:

Highest RR were from Midgard [Drachengarde or whatever was running 3 rr12] but Hibernia had the most solid and persistent presence. Albion was albion.

That being said, I'd be really interested in rolling Albion once Uth comes up and making the classic extend group so I can play a loving cabalist.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Mids just grabbed a relic with only 8 dudes and 2 keeps. Something ain't right.

Calibrex
Dec 9, 2011
Coming back...but don't know where to start.

First things that come to mind: New UI, find other DAoC forums, look-up character builds/specs, crafting programs

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Calibrex posted:

Coming back...but don't know where to start.

First things that come to mind: New UI, find other DAoC forums, look-up character builds/specs, crafting programs

Most of us have moved to Genesis/mid. Its an old frontiers map without any of the toa *content*/crap depending on how you look at it. http://daoc-origins.net/ this is the link.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

As far as UI, Bob's UI will more than cover everything you need.

Crafting programs: if you mean macros, its frowned upon/bannable but I don't know how often they really check for it. I used to use AutoHotKey when I crafted stuff though.

Calibrex
Dec 9, 2011

Combo posted:

As far as UI, Bob's UI will more than cover everything you need.

Crafting programs: if you mean macros, its frowned upon/bannable but I don't know how often they really check for it. I used to use AutoHotKey when I crafted stuff though.

Nah, I have every skill leveled. I was digging through my old favorites and found loki and korts.

Calibrex
Dec 9, 2011

Minclark posted:

Most of us have moved to Genesis/mid. Its an old frontiers map without any of the toa *content*/crap depending on how you look at it. http://daoc-origins.net/ this is the link.

ahhh I will have to check that out, ty

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Not sure if this was posted already, but check this out:

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/8212/Broadsword-Online-What-It-Means-For-UO-DAOC.html

Not really sure what this means for UO or DAoC in the grand scheme of things, really. Maybe f2p?

EDIT: Calibrex, did you play with ADF on Lance?

Mux fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 26, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So now they are doing around changing the stats on items with zero warning or any mention of it in the 'patch notes'. I guess they want everyone to quit.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

ded posted:

So now they are doing around changing the stats on items with zero warning or any mention of it in the 'patch notes'. I guess they want everyone to quit.

They already did several(dozen) rounds of this in the first weeks of the server. Look at the message that shows up when you log in. Research your poo poo.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PriNGLeS posted:

They already did several(dozen) rounds of this in the first weeks of the server. Look at the message that shows up when you log in. Research your poo poo.

Sorry that you support a terrible system.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

ded posted:

Sorry that you support a terrible system.

I'm sorry that you're willfully ignorant of the patch level and the well known item discrepancies.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ya. Those are the priorities. Instead of fixing the things that are broken and missing. Nerfing what few item drops they actually do have into something fully useless.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Or they're just fixing what they can when they can.

Not to defend Genesis -- I stopped playing after Albgate -- but come on man. They've only been warning that all items will eventually be changed back to SI-era levels since the server opened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Anyone still playing Live? I've been playing a bunch lately since a goon kindly gave me access to his accounts. Spectacular, where you be? I forgot your forums name.

• Locked thread