Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mack Brown is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

There is a college stigma that can ne’er be told, and it is the stigma of the infamous and elusive MRS Degree. Many young women invade Aggieland every year in search of the perfect man, and most agree that a uniform is one of the most attractive qualities a man can possess.

:stare:

Ma'am did I every tell you about the time I bravely protected General Reveille from an assault by the fierce warriors of the Rice band?

*swoon*

MourningView fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 26, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Darlin', no, don't open that jar that's not jam oh nooooo

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

MourningView posted:

Darlin', no, don't open that jar that's not jam oh nooooo

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

computer parts posted:

The best/worst part is that this is not too far from the truth.

It really isn't. MRS majors and RG3 are the reasons Baylor exists.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

CollegeFootballNews ‏@ColFootballNews 56s
Spring Football 2014 Question No. 24 - Will Jeremy Pruitt lead Georgia to a national title? http://cfn.scout.com/2/1387559.html

they seem to think so :unsmith:

Is there a team that gets a bigger benefit of the doubt than Georgia? Every single year they're national title contenders.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

RumbleFish posted:

Is there a team that gets a bigger benefit of the doubt than Georgia? Every single year they're national title contenders.

Stafford throwing 75yd bullets into the front row and 95mph fastballs on flare routes really gave them the flair they needed to compete for that 08 title.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

Oof, pot calling the kettle overrated.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RumbleFish posted:

Georgia fans are suckers for articles suggesting they have a shot.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

LeeMajors posted:

Stafford throwing 75yd bullets into the front row and 95mph fastballs on flare routes really gave them the flair they needed to compete for that 08 title.

Was this said in regards to the 2008 season or 2013?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dattserberg posted:

Was this said in regards to the 2008 season or 2013?

UGA has been a preseason favorite since Ray Goff. It is nothing new. It was never more egregious than in 08.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Oof, pot calling the kettle overrated.

I'm guessing this a general SEC comment because it doesn't make sense otherwise.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

I'm guessing this a general SEC comment because it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Well, I don't pay a lot of close attention to the SEC, so I'll admit I might just be misperceiving things. But it seems like South Carolina's gotten just about as many top 10 pre-season rankings as Georgia in the last 2 or 3 years that haven't translated into BCS bowl appearances.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

Well, I don't pay a lot of close attention to the SEC, so I'll admit I might just be misperceiving things. But it seems like South Carolina's gotten just about as many top 10 pre-season rankings as Georgia in the last 2 or 3 years that haven't translated into BCS bowl appearances.

This is the one period in history where it's true, but you're right that they're equal over the last 3 years in preseason top ten rankings.

e: Really only over the last 2 years with 2 each, both were outside the top 10 in 2011.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 26, 2014

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

The comparison ends if you look at the rest of the last 20 years of Georgia's preseason hype.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The only UGA fans that think we are going on a title run this season are the worst of the UGA homers out there. I expect us to see improvement on the defense, we have a lot of weapons on the offense and if Mason plays ok (not even amazing, just ok) we will be fine there. I see a probable 9-10 win season within reach next year, not counting a bowl game if that happens. Will we end up ranked pre-season? Sure, but I drat sure hope we aren't in the top ten- or top fifteen for that matter, we don't deserve it based off of how last year ended.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I thought uga won 11 games all together this season. Almost losing to uf and Tenn this year is kinda alarming. Losing to Vanderbilt is really alarming.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

In addition to what Fluff mentioned about Georgia's long-standing history of preseason hype, we've never been floated as a serious title candidate. We've made some darkhorse/fringe contender lists over the past two or three seasons, but it's not a widespread, annual media tradition to pencil us in as division champions and therefore in the national title picture. (I'm not trying to argue that we SHOULD be considered a serious contender; just that we've never gotten that particular level of hype, let alone consistently over a period of years.)

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 26, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Holy poo poo.

quote:

Change is on its way. RT @USWPolitical: #CAPA wins at NLRB! Athletes will have their union! More details to come

quote:

Wow ... @CAPAssociation wins its case at the NLRB. College athletes are on their way to a union. Victory for ex-Northwestern QB Kain Colter.

Ben Strauss

Just talked to USW political director TIm Waters: "The athletes won on every question. It was a complete victory. They ordered an election. They said the athletes are employees, they said Northwestern is an employer."

I did not expect them to actually manage to pull that off.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 26, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Well, college football, it was nice to know you.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Seriously, I was not expecting them to win, and then have the NCAA toss the players some kind of bone.

Labor actually winning in sports is goddamn amazing.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

Waylp.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

I thought uga won 11 games all together this season. Almost losing to uf and Tenn this year is kinda alarming. Losing to Vanderbilt is really alarming.

Nah, we went 8-5. I know that there are teams out there who would love to just get on the winning side of things, but it was totally underwhelming. And with all of those games (except GA Tech where the offense started slow and we had to dig ourselves out) it was poor defensive play that killed us. Vandy was lost because of some really bad (and extra questionable) penalties. Our offense was on fire the whole year even though we were slumming it deep within the depth chart due to injury. If our defense had been steady and passable (not even top tier, just good) through the entire year, we could have had an easy 10-11 win season and actually been in contention for a BCS Bowl game.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

This will have less of an immediate impact than some expect. IIRC, it would only apply to private institutions and the NW players didn't want pay, but mainly better medical care.

I'm not smart enough to be able to forecast what, if any, implications this has for college football in general.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

LeeMajors posted:

UGA has been a preseason favorite since Ray Goff. It is nothing new. It was never more egregious than in 08.

What I should have said was, "oh hey, the 2008 version of Stafford is pretty similar to the 2013 version."

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dattserberg posted:

What I should have said was, "oh hey, the 2008 version of Stafford is pretty similar to the 2013 version."

Gotcha.

I remember during the Sugar Bowl against Hawaii they were showing his highlight film with multiple 80 yard incompletions.

I've always been underwhelmed by him. How many picks did he throw against UF by bouncing missiles off dragging slot receivers shoulder pads? Quite a few.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Not sure 2008 was the most egregious of recent memory. Would have to be one of the 2009 or 2010 squads if they were ranked highly preseason.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This new VT Indoor Practice Facility looks like its going to be a really nice addition to the facilities over next to Lane Stadium. Hope I can make it into town in 2015 to see it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

vikingstrike posted:

Not sure 2008 was the most egregious of recent memory. Would have to be one of the 2009 or 2010 squads if they were ranked highly preseason.

13th in '09, a saner but still too high 23 in '10. Sports Reference is great for looking this stuff up by the way, I had no clue it existed until someone linked it in the NFL draft thread a few months ago.

e: Well I knew baseball reference and pro football reference but I didn't know they had college sports sites too.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 26, 2014

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This new VT Indoor Practice Facility looks like its going to be a really nice addition to the facilities over next to Lane Stadium. Hope I can make it into town in 2015 to see it.

Now with more renders: http://www.hokiesports.com/baseball/recaps/20140326aaa.html (I have no idea why the link says baseball)

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Dexo posted:

Holy poo poo.

Ben Strauss

Just talked to USW political director TIm Waters: "The athletes won on every question. It was a complete victory. They ordered an election. They said the athletes are employees, they said Northwestern is an employer."

I did not expect them to actually manage to pull that off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEGc5EmOXxc

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Grittybeard posted:

13th in '09, a saner but still too high 23 in '10. Sports Reference is great for looking this stuff up by the way, I had no clue it existed until someone linked it in the NFL draft thread a few months ago.

e: Well I knew baseball reference and pro football reference but I didn't know they had college sports sites too.

Thanks for that site. Never knew it existed, either.

It makes me nauseous looking at the 2008 roster and knowing that it ended with a loss to Michigan St.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Deteriorata posted:

This will have less of an immediate impact than some expect. IIRC, it would only apply to private institutions and the NW players didn't want pay, but mainly better medical care.

I'm not smart enough to be able to forecast what, if any, implications this has for college football in general.

I feel like the fact that at least some "student-athletes" are now officially recognized as employees of a university is a pretty big deal that helps the O'Bannon case, but yeah I don't know enough about the whole situation to guess where this all goes.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Not sure if the court ruling opens this door, but I would assume the "oh, poo poo" moment is college football players unionizing and then striking until the NCAA mandates some change in the compensation structure that makes them happy. Kind of hard to cash in on your billion dollar TV deal with no games to watch.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Dexo posted:

Holy poo poo.

Meaningless ruling today because all the NCAA has to do is appeal and motion for an injunction until a higher court rules for them. Eventually this will end up at the Supreme Court, now when THEY either pass on the case or rule for the players (not likely given the Court's current makeup) then you can say holy poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

Not sure if the court ruling opens this door, but I would assume the "oh, poo poo" moment is college football players unionizing and then striking until the NCAA mandates some change in the compensation structure that makes them happy. Kind of hard to cash in on your billion dollar TV deal with no games to watch.

The National Board is where the final battle is. Once that happens. Is when the poo poo hits the fan. As that means all of the other schools will have to deal with their own students filing complaints or joining a union.

Korranus posted:

Meaningless ruling today. This will be appealed up to the Supreme Court, now when THEY either pass on the case or rule for the players then you can say holy poo poo.

It's not the Supreme Court, I'm pretty sure the NRLB in Washington is the final say on labor disputes in America. So yeah. It has to go before the main board, but that's pretty much it.

But Yes still holy poo poo. I wasn't expecting them to even force it to the point where Northwestern would have to be the one filing the appeal.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 26, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

vikingstrike posted:

Not sure where the players are really going to have the kind of power over the schools. Also pretty sure I don't want 18 year olds with that kind of power, either.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Not sure where the players are really going to have the kind of power over the schools. Also pretty sure I don't want 18 year olds with that kind of power, either.

They could not play and completely screw the schools out of everything. Schools actually have less leverage than the pro leagues as the students were already not being paid, and tend to not have lavish lifestyles to uphold.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Crotch Bat posted:

Don't show up to play? And, that's exactly why none of the schools want the players to have this type of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Call me the pessimist, I just don't see it happening and being all roses and sunshine. At best I imagine this just ends up amounting to a cost of living increase.

And doesn't Title IX affect the gently caress out of this anyway?

• Locked thread