Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
:burger:Click for latest update:burger:

What do you do when you're in danger? Drop and go for cover? Or do you man up and sack up, for excitement? Well we're going to find out in this latest expedition into terror, known as Disaster: Day of Crisis. Released for the Wii in late 2008 in both Japan and PAL regions (sadly the US lucked out on this Wii gem), the game chronicles the escapades of the one man army known Ray. Ray is having a very tough time in his life; he's had to quit his job after losing his close friend and life partner Steve and he's having to come to grips with the fact that, not only can't he save everyone....he more than likely can't save anyone and is pretty much a beacon for disasters. And that's just at the start of the game; things quickly go from bad to worse in the world of Ray and we'll be getting to that soon enough.

Outside of all the natural disasters, we'll be dealing with plenty of man made disasters not only in the game but also in real life as I get some company joining me in the form of a personification of Mt. St. Helen's known as Panzer Skank and the walking rock pun that is Geop. They'll be adding their own knowledge and candor regarding what to do in a number of sticky situations as we attempt to make it out alive and maybe break even with Mother Nature's bitchy rear end.

Ray is our protagonist and the hunkiest of all rescuemen. But underneath all that bulge, is a softer side that cares for his family (who are probably dead) and his close friends (who are also probably dead). Also his hair is perfect forever.

Steve is Ray's best friend and confidant; they share everything. Stories, dangerous moments, and high school memories. He also enjoys bringing up his sister and the sweet rear end (but useless) compass that she gave him. It's a cookie.

Agent Olson is the hard as nails FBI agent who plays by the book and is totally against collateral damage. But he's at the end of his rope and is in some dire straits, so he calls in some extra muscle when a local seismologist and his assistant get kidnapped.

Prof. Davies is a top level geodude who works at the local university and has recently been kidnapped by an ultra secret military outfit. Just what do they plan on doing with a super old seismologist is anyone's guess but I'd probably assume it involves a lot of hunky smooches.

Lisa is Steve's still living sister, assistant to Prof. Davies, and inevitable love interest/beard for Ray. Before all that happens though, she'll mostly be used as a token damsel in distress as she's carted around from disaster to disaster screaming out for Ray's blood as she thinks he killed Steve....cause he did.

Mayor Townsend is the compassionate and caring mayor of Blue Ridge City. A normal man with a plan to bring his city into a prosperous future but it seems that Mother Nature and SURGE have other plans for his fair city....deadly plans indeed.

President Lewis is the mostly impotent leader of the United States of America who's been able to lead a cushy life behind a desk with no worries or cares in the world. But a recent surge of disasters in Blue Ridge City has forced him to muster up all his courage to blandly whine in the oval office. He's due to be re-elected soon for his bravery.

Colonel Haynes is the leader of the SURGE forces and a hardened war vet who's been through many a dangerous military campaign and many dangerous disasters. It's with this knowledge, and his band of brothers, that he wishes to bring the US government to it's knees. But to what end is the real question?

Major Evans is Haynes' second in command and has been by his side for years. Somewhat pale and seemingly very loyal to Haynes, something about him just comes across as somewhat untrustworthy. Only the future will reveal just how far he's willing to follow Haynes.

Gordon is just Gordon. He's Southern and he can't pronounce certain words correctly. He also always carries a spare weapon that he still manages to suck rear end with.

Gregory is an expert helicopter combat pilot and former member of the 'Night Stalkers'. I'm not overly sure what that is but I'm pretty sure it means that Gregory is on a number of community watch lists and is not allowed within 500 feet of schools.

Banks is a trigger happy mercenary and loose cannon in the ranks of SURGE. Also enjoys a good game of Blitz Ball.

Disaster Files
Disaster File 1.1/Disaster File 1.2
Disaster File 2
Disaster File 3
Disaster File 4/Disaster File 4.2
Disaster File 5
Disaster File 6
Disaster File 7
Disaster File 8
Disaster File 9/Disaster File 9.2
Disaster File 10/Disaster File 10.2
Disaster File 11
Disaster File 12
Disaster File 13
Disaster File 14
Disaster File 15
Disaster File 16/Disaster File 16.2
Disaster File 17
Disaster File 18/Disaster File 18.2
Disaster File 19
Disaster File 20

Disaster Arts

By grancheater

By Jade Star

By Panzer Skank

by PsycArtist

by Unfair

by Pompitous

by Devious Vacuum

by Demonbait

by BottledBacon

by Jessica V.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

This is going to be....one hell of a thread. With special guest Geop joining in since he's a geographist.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This is gonna be like one of those RPGs, right? That giant volcano killed your friend, so you go on a quest, powerlevel and then kick its bitch-rear end to the moon, right!?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm glad to see that the protagonist received martial art training from Chris 'boulder-punch' Redfield. That's undoubtadly going to make this game easier.

Also, 'you're not a superhero'? Keep that dialogue in mind as the game progresses. This guy is gonna do stuff that Spider Man would find impossibly hard to do.

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
Oh man, I remember this game was LP'd a few years back, but it got abandoned just as everything was getting hella exciting and off-the-hook at the same time. Good luck, can't wait to see the ending this time!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Loading Screen posted:

Mt. Aquinas: A volcano in South America. Its natural beauty has made it a popular tourist destination. There has been a recent surge in volcanic activity, suggesting an eruption is imminent.

Well, that answers one question! :v: The info's a little outdated, mind you...

This game looks amazing. :allears: I don't suppose that there could be little mentions of the stuff you don't get, say in the update post?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yapping Eevee posted:

Well, that answers one question! :v: The info's a little outdated, mind you...

This game looks amazing. :allears: I don't suppose that there could be little mentions of the stuff you don't get, say in the update post?
Hmmmm, well I won't really be missing anything on a per update situation. It's more that there are these 'titles' you get by doing certain things in the game and there's about 150+ of them, which range from reasonable ("Don't jump in a level") to unnecessarily hard ("Get all A ranks at the end of a mission"). I think by the end there might be two or three things that I don't unlock, but everything else will hopefully be shown off as I hate myself and having fun. Anything I don't decide to get though, I'll be sure to mention or state by the end of the LP.

Also a couple of small things, but I'm using a slightly different mic from usual and I want to make sure it's of good enough quality before I use it for more commentary. And also, does anyone care enough about the cutscenes to need a separate cut commentary version of the videos. I can guarantee that you guys won't be missing much, but if enough people want it I can do it. I just figure that enough of it sinks in with our commentary being left in over the cutscenes.

VVVVVV
Well consider this something of an open invite; if you are familiar with crisis management, volcanoes, nukes, or being a hunk, then you could easily fit in as a guest. Otherwise the plan is to keep Panzer laughing at my stupidity and maybe having Geop back to enjoy the things that Ray shoves in his mouth.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 28, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I am a qualified in crisis management. This is relevant to my interests.

EDIT: Also the best quote I've seen in ages: "If LIFE becomes empty, you will die.". That's a rather profound statement from a Wii game.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 28, 2014

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Japanese developers heard about food portions being huge in the USA and went a bit overboard.

Also explains his voracious appetite.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Niggurath posted:

Anything I don't decide to get though, I'll be sure to mention or state by the end of the LP.

Ah, that's fair enough! I'm sure nobody will care if you don't get all the titles, so long as nothing actually interesting gets unlocked from having X amount of them. (Given some of the other LPs you've done, I had the horrible thought of alternate outfits for Ray... including the seemingly mandatory skimpy bikini and/or dominatrix outfit. :v: Though I'm sure he'd look great in a frog costume.)

The subtitles are more than big enough for easy reading at 480p, and the in-game voices were still intelligible when commentators were speaking. I'd say you're perfectly fine on that front. The mic seemed fine too.

Edit: While I do know some things about disaster management/recovery as it pertains in libraries, I doubt this action-packed masterpiece will visit one.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 28, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yapping Eevee posted:

Ah, that's fair enough! I'm sure nobody will care if you don't get all the titles, so long as nothing actually interesting gets unlocked from having X amount of them. (Given some of the other LPs you've done, I had the horrible thought of alternate outfits for Ray... including the seemingly mandatory skimpy bikini and/or dominatrix outfit. :v: Though I'm sure he'd look great in a frog costume.)

The subtitles are more than big enough for easy reading at 480p, and the in-game voices were still intelligible when commentators were speaking. I'd say you're perfectly fine on that front. The mic seemed fine too.

Edit: While I do know some things about disaster management/recovery as it pertains in libraries, I doubt this action-packed masterpiece will visit one.
Yeah, currently what I don't have unlocked is (and spoilered for no good reason):

Barbarian outfit which requires going back through every stage to collect 100 of these hidden signs (which could be doable but annoying)
Mech Ray which requires just beating the game on the hardest difficult (and that's unlocked after getting a certain number of titles)
Samurai Ray which requires getting every title (and that's one I doubt I have any patience to get)

But yeah, this is not a short game and I question whether I can stand to beat it five times over for two silly costumes while we have a few silly ones already waiting. Even taking into account that this game is by the same developer as....Xenoblade Chronicles!? Yeah, let that nonsense sink in.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

This is gonna be like one of those RPGs, right? That giant volcano killed your friend, so you go on a quest, powerlevel and then kick its bitch-rear end to the moon, right!?

That would be only ever so slightly more ridiculous than the actual events of this game.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

That first video was priceless, Niggurauth. I'm definitely looking forward to this lp.

dancinginfernal
Dec 27, 2012
Oh man, you LPing this game will be gold and a half.

I still can't believe this game actually exists with how god drat crazy it is.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
So this is pretty much the video game embodiment of every Hollywood disaster movie ever made? Complete with extremely dubious science? Be still my heart. :allears:

I can't wait until Ray blows up an asteroid.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I have been near a volcanic eruption.

It was not like that at all. No tragic deaths or anything.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
Pretty excited to see some amazing insanity in this game. I imagine we will outrun nukes and radiation will just cause Ray to shout longer and harder.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Oh man, this game. This game's gonna be a real gem.

As for the hazards of being around a volcano, don't you also have to be careful with spotting where you're going to set your feet, in case what you thought was a stable rock turns out to be molten underneath a thin, candyshell layer?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

tlarn posted:

Oh man, this game. This game's gonna be a real gem.

As for the hazards of being around a volcano, don't you also have to be careful with spotting where you're going to set your feet, in case what you thought was a stable rock turns out to be molten underneath a thin, candyshell layer?
Geop probably knows better, but he was saying before we recorded that the volcano we see in the prologue has some weird amalgamation of different volcano aspects. Like how the lava looks initially doesn't really go with the weird fire works display that pops out later. I think in the end they were just trying to go for something cool looking but then the lava just randomly disappears or should have killed our man Ray but doesn't.

Also I do apologize for not paying attention to the loading screen, but I do promise that the rest of the game is in America and that there is seemingly another volcano that also erupts in America.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 28, 2014

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

LP contains: BURGIN'

Look at that thing. It's like the size of his lungs, people.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Burg appreciation station

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Most of the other stuff doesn't look too bad so you'd think they would have worked a little harder on that running animation, dang. Guy is apparently the T1000.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Their gear looks awfully modern for a game set in 1818 (going by the number of stars on the flag). Or possibly a non-Islamic Malaysia with an extra state or two (going by the number of stripes).

Geop posted:

"strictly plətonic"
:doh:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I never did find out how the story of Rubbish Wolverine ends. This can only be a good thing

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Crane Fist posted:

I never did find out how the story of Rubbish Wolverine ends. This can only be a good thing
Hey Psycho, where did Coulis go? Can you make him come be in a video, cause I would love that.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Hello, I have an accent :)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Niggurath posted:

Hey Psycho, where did Coulis go? Can you make him come be in a video, cause I would love that.

He doesn't post so much anymore, and since I moved halfway round the world we aren't in touch so often but I reckon he might come out of hiding for this.

I still don't know if he ever actually finished the game

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
This is a promising start. I'm hungry now though.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Cymbal Monkey posted:

This is a promising start. I'm hungry now though.
Also I'm unhappy to state that Geop was much more excited for the burger originally but Panzer made me turn it down. The irony was thick for that moment in time....

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Niggurath posted:

Also I'm unhappy to state that Geop was much more excited for the burger originally but Panzer made me turn it down. The irony was thick for that moment in time....

You could carry this LP on the burger.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
:megaman::siren::pcgaming:ITS HAPPENING:pcgaming::siren::megaman:

You beautiful man niggurath, I'm so glad you finally got this LP off the ground.

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012
Are you getting Deceitful Penguin in these videos? Please tell me you are. I loved your LP of Michigan with him.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh man, the moment I saw that burger, I knew the thread would not disappoint, and it hasn't.

:allears:

That thing is MAGNIFICENT.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I would be perfectly fine if this thread turned into a second burgin' thread.

I would also just be fine watching our manly hero travel from coast to coast, outrunning every disaster imaginable.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Niggurath posted:

Also a couple of small things, but I'm using a slightly different mic from usual and I want to make sure it's of good enough quality before I use it for more commentary. And also, does anyone care enough about the cutscenes to need a separate cut commentary version of the videos. I can guarantee that you guys won't be missing much, but if enough people want it I can do it. I just figure that enough of it sinks in with our commentary being left in over the cutscenes.

I doubt there's much of value in them, but I'm afraid that talking over cutscenes in an LP drives me irrationally crazy. If it's not too much trouble, can I submit a vote for a non-talking-over version?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
It's great to see another LP for this starting up, I love how dumb this game is.
You're going to have to dramatically increase the number of European commentators to be on par with the previous LP though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Colorred posted:

Are you getting Deceitful Penguin in these videos? Please tell me you are. I loved your LP of Michigan with him.
:allears:

GenHavoc posted:

I doubt there's much of value in them, but I'm afraid that talking over cutscenes in an LP drives me irrationally crazy. If it's not too much trouble, can I submit a vote for a non-talking-over version?
Literally the first thing I said to him. Well, after his name.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Watching this, but the level of attention Niggurath puts into the lp so far is fabulous.

Also I don't have gimp anymore, that makes me sad.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Haha, holy poo poo this game. I was also following the old thread back in the day, and hoped that Coulis would pull through. But I guess the driving broke him.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the end of this beautiful trainwreck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Real Pattern
Mar 17, 2006

Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!
The 'tips' in this are incredible
"touching flames will set you on fire"
"sprint to go faster"
"If you run out of life, you die"
"leave the smoky area before taking a deep breath"

really? thanks game!

No Real Pattern fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 29, 2014