Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Question for people who have explored Demon's Souls and Dark Souls more thoroughly than me: am I wrong in the impression that Dark Souls II is a lot bigger than both? Both in terms of critical path and total content, it just seems a lot larger.

Dark souls 2 is way bigger for sure. It's got giant areas but the downside is, a lot of it is pretty linear (okay demons souls was too).

IMHO, dark souls 1 has the best crafted world. Dark souls 2 has large, impressive environments, but it's basically 'pick a direction from majula and keep going until you hit the big boss at the end.'

Demon's souls is the smallest game to me. No optional bosses (Dragons don't count) and the smallest number of bosses in the entire series. No covenants besides red invaders and white coop buddys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Question for people who have explored Demon's Souls and Dark Souls more thoroughly than me: am I wrong in the impression that Dark Souls II is a lot bigger than both? Both in terms of critical path and total content, it just seems a lot larger.

It's definitely a lot larger, though at the same time I think it feels larger than it really is due to how criss-crossy the levels tend to be.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

NotAnArtist posted:

I've seen two pieces of gear that I want. One helm that looks like a skull and is definitely not the dark helm: this one may have had predator style dreadlocks or it may have been the pc's hair.
Another that was a goat's skull, had a ton of horns coming out the back.

Both were seen on phantom pcs by a bonfire... anyone seen them in game? I'm about to start ng++, if that matters.

Pretty sure you grind the Pred helm from the Belfry Sol.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Predator helm is part of the Mad Warrior set, which is the requisite Berserk reference armor, dropped by the Mad Warrior black phantom in Belfry Sol. He's a static BP and has a 10% chance to spawn if you're in the Bell cov. He's close to the beginning of the area so if you don't see him just go back to the bonfire and rest, and try again. It has a low drop rate so I'd wait until you have Gold Serpent Ring+2 (from ng+/ascetic's gargs) and Jester's Hat.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

IMHO, dark souls 1 has the best crafted world.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I was just asking about my impression of size given I didn't count the areas or checked their size scientifically, but the original still has the most coherently crafted world. The entirety of Dark Souls II's world is designed around fast traveling between bonfires and expanding horizontally from the central hub Majula. Here and there they paid lip service to the idea of an interconnected world (you can get to the Lost Bastille from either Forest of the Fallen Giants or No Man's Wharf, for example), but overall it's clear they basically were following the Demon's Souls philosophy within Dark Souls' framework. I'm not sure it completely worked, but I do welcome the variety (and I haven't met any area that's quite as lazy as Lost Izalith, so that's a huge plus).

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The levels in demons souls were crafted really well though and not disjointed like they are in Dark Souls 2. I'd kill for a longer Demons Souls with more content.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NotAnArtist posted:

I've seen two pieces of gear that I want. One helm that looks like a skull and is definitely not the dark helm: this one may have had predator style dreadlocks or it may have been the pc's hair.
Another that was a goat's skull, had a ton of horns coming out the back.

Both were seen on phantom pcs by a bonfire... anyone seen them in game? I'm about to start ng++, if that matters.

I think you're looking for the Mad Warrior helm http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Mad+Warrior+Set#.UzWtRfl_vig

No idea about the other one.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

FrickenMoron posted:

The levels in demons souls were crafted really well though and not disjointed like they are in Dark Souls 2. I'd kill for a longer Demons Souls with more content.

Exactly this. I'd love to see a Demon's Souls 2 if From worked on it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Red Rust Sword is cool, I miss the stabbing from my longsword but it scales really well with strength and looks awesome.

edit - Running about with Mastodon leggings is funny as hell with normal armour everywhere else.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 28, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can people tell when you have the Red Eye Ring equipped before you're summoned? I seem to have made my character into a sort of punching bag so figured I may as well use the ring. :v:

Also, Earthen Peak: how do I burn the windmill? I'm standing in place waving my torch at the drat thing but nothing's happening.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You have to walk up to the hub and press X. You'll see a prompt to "set light" when you're close enough.

FrickenMoron posted:

I was beginning to think maybe it was just my imagination, but then after riding the ship at the end of No Man's Wharf, I stepped onto the jetty and looked up and could see the inside of the tunnel you walk up to get into the bastille immediately above, clipping off the top of the cliff face :/

Orv
May 4, 2011

Boxn posted:

Exactly this. I'd love to see a Demon's Souls 2 if From worked on it.

They'll probably just keep iterating on more and more stuff as the series goes on, if it does. So some game will have the interconnected Dark Souls 1 world but also different dimensions or something. We'll never get Demon's Souls 2 though because of licensing issues with the name, so see you for Dark Souls 8 in a decade.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

poptart_fairy posted:

Also, Earthen Peak: how do I burn the windmill? I'm standing in place waving my torch at the drat thing but nothing's happening.

There's like a ramp made of rubble next to the wall. It doesn't look like you can walk on it, but you can. Once you get up to the top, there'll be a prompt.

I got to rank 3 in the dragon covenant only to find that the greatsword they give you has no scaling at all. Is it better to infuse it with raw or mundane? My lowest stat on that character is 10, so it seemed like raw might be a better choice, but I don't think I fully understand mundane yet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Solomonic posted:

There's like a ramp made of rubble next to the wall. It doesn't look like you can walk on it, but you can. Once you get up to the top, there'll be a prompt.

Oh goddammit, that's all? I was scared off because of the drop, haha.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Unleash Magic rocks. Took Ancient Dragon to town. Too bad it takes up 3 slots.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Pulling the switch in Majula after Un- petrifying has been harder than most of the drat bosses I fought

But you don't have to kill any of that stuff. All you need to do is run around avoiding it until the door fully opens, then you can run into the next room and rest at the bonfire.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

flowinprose posted:

But you don't have to kill any of that stuff. All you need to do is run around avoiding it until the door fully opens, then you can run into the next room and rest at the bonfire.

But I gotta free the ballsack goblins from their eternal pain, even for a minute.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Solomonic posted:

I got to rank 3 in the dragon covenant only to find that the greatsword they give you has no scaling at all. Is it better to infuse it with raw or mundane? My lowest stat on that character is 10, so it seemed like raw might be a better choice, but I don't think I fully understand mundane yet.

Equip the sword, talk to the infusion guy, press triangle to change your status screen to the page that shows all your damage/armors, then look at the infusions and you can see the result of base+scaling for every possible infusion. Raw will probably be better.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

StringOfLetters posted:

Equip the sword, talk to the infusion guy, press triangle to change your status screen to the page that shows all your damage/armors, then look at the infusions and you can see the result of base+scaling for every possible infusion. Raw will probably be better.

Holy poo poo, have we been able to do that since DS1? The things I miss. Thanks a bunch, raw is indeed better and now I can infuse without worrying that I made a bad call.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

The resident evil looking lurkers in Shrine of Amana drop human effigies pretty regularly and there are tons of them, if anyone needs to farm effigies.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Nobody has posted this really, so I'll try to give a little strength weapon guide, with the weapons I know. My char has like 22 end? 50 str, 18 dex.

Mace: great weapon for early to mid game.
Dual mace: pretty good, outclassed later by greatsword. To be fair I had one fairly upgraded mace not at +10 and the other was unupgraded, and upgraded my greatsword to +10 later but the greatsword did seem better: more range, more damage.

After this, all the weapons I mention are poo poo for pvp if you don't connect. And I don't connect a LOT because these are slow :( Especially post-greatsword:

Greatsword: Great weapon until late game (like, after king ring). I actually got 2 and had 2 +10 greatswords powerstanced. They do good damage, but the problem with them is they don't stagger enemies and are a bit slow. The l1 does a both-swords-left-to-right swipe and the r2 does a both-swords-hit-ground-in-front-of-you move. R2 did for the RRA in just a few hits. The problem with greatswords as I said is I almost never poise broke anyone so I moved up to demon's great hammer +5.

Most of the following weapons are strength 40 or 50 requirement:

Demon's great hammer +5: this is a good weapon but outclassed by other weapons with the same requirements. It does 450 damage base at +5 and if I got the full 2 handed r2 combo off it would do 2000-2200 damage and poise break. The r2 does the following: one overhead hit which often just knocks enemies (players/enemies) flat on the ground, followed by a hammer spin that does a ton of damage. The problem with this is you always want the hammer spin to come out because the overhand + spin kills almost any mob in the game, even the shielded ones due to poise break. The thing is though that there's such a big gap between the overhand and the spin, and you're always trying to get the spin to come out. This is bullshit because I tried other weapons that are better, as I say next. I will say this: anyone who has problems with end game enemies? lol, this nails them. I killed all 3 of the 3 -pack of shield+sword/halberd enemies just before the bosses in the undead crypt, with one spin. Good times!
Gryym Great Hammer (anvil on a stick): Ok this is where it gets good. I only have this at +7 because I got a better weapon afterwards but as someone said, it hits twice immediately with the 2 handed r2, and it sends most mobs and players flying if it connects (whereas the demon's hammer pastes them flat on the spot). Awesome stuff. It's outclassed though by my favourite pve weapon:
Giant Warrior Club:
req 60 str: It's a rock on a stick. It has unique moves. At 50 str I do 2300 damage to endgame AD-area mobs with the r2, which is a double spin (like the gryym great hammer) and kills basically-everyone, and is staggering dragonrider and persuer in NG+ (note the other weapons I used never staggered bosses). The 1 handed r2 makes you do an overhead smash AFTER STEPPING FORWARD which if you have 60 str might trick some people in pvp, if they just stand there and don't attack you with a faster weapon :)

Other mentions:

Mastodon halberd: I upgraded this to +10 on the recommendation of this thread, and I find the spinning-run attack underwhelming. It didn't kill the mace dragon knight guys in the AD area in one shot. It might be great for PVP though!
Great king ultra greatsword (statue with hilt): I only have this at +3 so I can't really say... but ... the moveset seems really awkward. You've gotta have the mob right in front of you to hit them, since it does a sort of katana shoulder to other hip 'slice', doesn't seem like it would be great for groups of enemies. Maybe it does ridiculous damage, I don't know.

Final off topic thing:
God drat, armor makes a massive difference. I use the alonne captain chestplate and it's GREAT at +10.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Those patch notes sound real good, except for maybe the coffin prompt, but that could be okay. "Sleep in the Sex Coffin?"

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks a bunch for this. I've been thinking of doing a very dumb powerstanced Giant Warrior Club respec just to see how far I can get away with such a dumb build, dumping 90 strength into it. Still, effective or no, it'll be hilarious.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
poo poo, I'm still really not certain wither I'm going to make a dex or str character. I'm level 70 and have been adding them up pretty evenly. Is there a downside to having both?

Also, does DEX just mean I can swing my weapon more?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

casual poster posted:

poo poo, I'm still really not certain wither I'm going to make a dex or str character. I'm level 70 and have been adding them up pretty evenly. Is there a downside to having both?

Also, does DEX just mean I can swing my weapon more?

In the souls games, it sucks to NOT have a single stat at least, at 40+. This is what I learned when sheep-goats 1-shotted the manslayer in demon's souls while my 20-everything poo poo character blubbered in fear.
Endurance means you can get more hits in. Dex weapons tend to be a lot faster than str ones.

S-Alpha posted:

Thanks a bunch for this. I've been thinking of doing a very dumb powerstanced Giant Warrior Club respec just to see how far I can get away with such a dumb build, dumping 90 strength into it. Still, effective or no, it'll be hilarious.

It might have a separate unique dual stance moveset but I wouldn't bet on it. It would probably nail everything though. I'm considering getting str to 60 to dual wield some great hammers... Yeah. IDK when I'll manage that!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

redreader posted:

In the souls games, it sucks to NOT have a single stat at least, at 40+. This is what I learned when sheep-goats 1-shotted the manslayer in demon's souls while my 20-everything poo poo character blubbered in fear.
Endurance means you can get more hits in. Dex weapons tend to be a lot faster than str ones.

Ah alright. Most likely I will go the DEX route because I haven't before, may even add some faith in just cause. Thanks.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

limited posted:

I don't get it either. It's like shooting someone in a FPS and if you don't kill them in the first bullet, you wait until their screen has faded from red or whatever. :psyduck: A game famed for loving over it's players is suddenly HONOR TOWN in PvP.

Bet they still kill the hell out of people who pull extra monsters or whatever though, just to make it extra stupid, because that's more likely to get you killed than having a chance to chug some estus.

If my occasional glances at the GameFAQs Dark Souls 2 boards have taught me anything it’s that a vocal part of the PvP community is completely insane.

You’ve got people:

- Complaining that the game has been ruined forever because FROM removed toggle escapes and removed dead-angling and nerfed lag-stabs.
- Totally losing their poo poo over soul memory even when nobody really knew what it did.
- Arguing back and forth over where to place the meta level cap right since 9 o’clock day one. Actually scratch that, they were theorycraft arguing even before the game was released.
- Complaining it’s super-unfair that red eye/blue eye orbs are only infinitely available on NG+, because apparently they hate playing the actual game. It’d be a valid complaint if they needed to beat the game several times, but they’re going to play most of NG just getting their PvP gear and going into NG+ the Bluebros are 1 boss into the game whilst the Bloodbros are 2 bosses into the game.

I really like the idea of invading or getting invaded, as a side dish to PvE. Playing cat and mouse with another player adds an interesting random unpredictable element to zones which adds another layer to the game. The normal enemies are very predictable and their positions are easily memorized so they aren’t much of a threat to a skilled or experienced player, but adding a thinking human opponent on top of that really changes the dynamic.

In practice though Dark Souls PvP seemed like a competition to be the cheapest dirtiest fucker the world ever saw. It was a race to exploit the cheesiest and most-overpowered poo poo, to such an extent that I have NO idea how people took it seriously. That sounds like loser talk but I won way more than I lost just through the strategy of being a complete scrub, and when I lost it was because the other guy was a better scrub than me. Being familiar with the eccentricities of the game seemed way more important than skill or strategy. That’s how it seemed in Dark Souls 1.

Dark Souls 2 seems better in this regard. The lag doesn’t seem anywhere near as bad most of the time (there’s still occasional nonsense though) and you have region-restricting options. The starter zones aren’t filled with poise-stacking min-maxed hyper-twinks. Getting invaded whilst hollow or when the area boss is dead opens up PvP to more players and more zones. There doesn’t seem to be as much ‘must have’ bullshit PvP gear. I mostly like the change that poise doesn’t work during a neutral stance (in DkS1 you could swing a light weapon at an armoured guy, and he’d walk right through it and backstab you), though poise could be buffed a little bit.

Overall I still consider it a minor component of the game but at least the victories and defeats feel slightly meaningful now.

bonewitch posted:

No, Sunlight Spear. The one you get from the sunbro covenant, not Great Lightning Spear.

Blinding Bolt seems decent but I'll have to see how it works.

I think my main problem will be attunement slots. Do I want to waste two slots on AOE (Swathe and Thunder)?

Flame Swathe is never a waste of a slot. :) (Well maybe it is for PvP sometimes, or rather it's only situationally useful)

Also you can kinda think of Flame Swathe as more of a single target spell than an AoE one. It does damage comparable with high-level single target spells, and you’re only really going to hit multiple targets if they’re holding hands with each other. It doesn’t hit a whole room like say Heavenly Thunder or Chaos Storm.

Donald Kimball posted:

Blinding Bolt, in my experience, is not so good. Too slow to cast, not much range, if the orb hits the target it does weak damage, and the damage of the arced bolts seems random. Is there a secret to this spell?

Greater Lightning Spears, Sunlight Spears, Wrath of God; Soul Geyser and Crystal Soul Spear; Great Resonant Soul; Flame Swathe, Chaos Storm (haven't tried Great Chaos Fireball).

That's mostly PvE, but there's some overlap like CSS and GRS being okay in PvP. Forbidden Sun, Dark Fog, Soul Greatsword are top notch for PvP.

Also, what's a decent to-do list before progressing to NG+?

I think Wrath of God is more of a PvP spell than a PvE one. Against players its basically an instant kill if it hits, but leaves you exposed if it misses and you only get 1 cast to start. For PvE I can see it working against a couple of bosses who have a adds supporting them, but for getting through the environments I don’t think the AoE is good enough for real crowd control (can work as an “oh poo poo” button though) and for most bosses I think the risk-reward ratio isn’t worth it (get similar output from Flame Swathe, at less risk. Or get much better output from Chaos Storm at a little bit more risk.) WoG might be a good pick for NG+ Lost Sinner or NG+ Flexile Sentry though, might try that out actually.

Also anyone know the difference between Firestorm / Fire Tempest / Chaos Storm? They all make fire pillars erupt from the ground and I assume Chaos Storm is the best at it, but they all seem very similar.

Checklist before going to NG+

-Maxed your estus at 12 chugs of +5. The game has 12 shards (so if you get them all you’ll have 1 spare) and 5 Sublime Bone Dusts (so no spares)
-Beaten all optional bosses. Vendrick, Royal Rat Authority, Ancient Dragon, Darklurker. And any bosses you might have skipped over.
-Gotten the King’s Soul and gear, available from the Shrine of Amana with Vendrick dead and only whilst human.
-Gotten all crystal lizards. There are tons of these in the Dragon Aerie. 1 in iron keep (near Belfy bonfire), 1 in the approach to drangleic castle, 1 just after the 2nd bonfire in brightstone cove, 1 in harvest valley (after the 4 scythe guys) , 1 in FoFG below the Cardinal Tower bonfire, 1 in No Man’s Wharf, 1 in Doors of Pharros. Some of these are a pain in the rear end though and crafting materials aren’t so rare in this game so you don’t need to sperg over them.
-Killed the 3 Heide Knights - one between the 1st and 2nd bonfires in FoFG, one in Lost Bastille in the section you access coming from No Man’s Wharf, one past the Shrine of Winter.
-Entered all 4 memories - 3 giant memories and also the dragon memory.
-Beaten the Pursuer rematch in Smelter Demon’s room. NG+ players going into NG++ also have a 2x Pursuer fight past Chancellor Wellager in Drangleic Castle.
-Done Navlaan’s quests to open him as a merchant.
-Freed Ornifex to unlock her as a blacksmith.
-Done the Pate/Creighton storyline to get the Engraved gauntlets.
-Gotten any crafting items you might want. Shards/L.Shards/Chunks can be bought infinitely in the endgame. Slabs drop from Stone Soldiers in Drangleic Castle. Petrified Dragon Bones drop from Dragon Acolytes in Aldia’s Keep. Twinkling Titanite drops from Archdrakes in Shrine of Amana. 3 fire seeds are available to buy from the pyro-trainer. Bonfire Ascetic on the Dragon Aerie to bring the lizards back may well be better option if you’ve got Ascetics to spare.
-Gotten whatever spells you might want to use. Many spell trainers only sell one copy of a spell, so if you’re planning to branch out into new magic it’s good to pick up key spells the cycle before (that way you get 2 copies instead of 1). Also the bellkeepers in Belfry Sol can drop Flame Swathe if you want more copies of that.
-Trade all items with Dyno and Tillo in TheThingsBetwixt.
-Craft any boss spells or boss weapons you might want. You don’t lose the souls going into NG+, but it’ll be a while before you open the merchants again.
-Consider using Ascetics to pick up useful items now. Examples include those crafted from old souls dropped by NG+ Lost Sinner/Freja/Rotten/OldIronKing, Blue Clearstone Ring+2 from NG+ Skeleton Lords, Cloranthy Ring+2 from NG+ Executioner’s Chariot, Southern Ritual Band+2 from NG+ Najka.
- Used the crushed eye orb against Licia
- Opened the 3 areas with the Forgotten Key from Black Gulch. 1) Dark shrine in Black Gulch, 2) Havel’s gear in The Gutter, 3) Witch gear in the Majula well.
- Gotten the items from the lava in Iron Keep – Human effigy, Bonfire Ascetic, Phoenix Parma, Fire Seed, Chaos Storm.
- Fully explored the Shrine of Amana for items – notably Helix Halberd, Homing Crystal Soul Mass, Sunlight Blade, Red Iron Twinblade, Manslayer, Singer’s Dress, Life Ring+2.
- Fully explored the Shaded Woods for items – notably Clear Bluestone Ring+1, Cloranthy Ring+1, Old Sun Ring.
- Opened the locked door in the 2nd cathedral in Tseldora (the spider infested one) – Black Knight Ultra Greatsword, Fire Seed, Greatfireball.
- Explored the bottom of the FoFG castle (either drop down or use the Iron Keep key). – notably Rebel’s Greatshield and the Hawk Ring.
-Used up any Fragrant Branches of Yore and the Key to the Embedded (these don’t carry over into NG+ so might as well use them, though you can have branches left over after doing everything you can with them)
- Most merchants give you an item if you spend enough money at their store and many NPCs give you items if your story progression is far enough. Basically exhaust dialogue with every NPC.
----- TwinklingTitanite given by Chloanne after spending enough.
----- TitaniteSlab given by McDuff after spending enough.
----- Boss armour sold by Maughlin. Upgrades his inventory if you spend enough. Also gives Aurous Armour if you have 0 souls and he has his upgraded inventory.
----- Red Rust equipment sold by Vengarl’s Head after beating Vengarl’s Body.
----- Espada Ropada and Royal Dirk given by Wellager after beating GiantLord.
----- Darkdrift given by Agadyne after beating Vendrick.
----- Divine Blessings given by Milfanito after freeing her sisters.
----- 6x Human Effigy given by Firekeeper after getting King’s Ring.
----- Drangleic Helm from Drummond after beating GiantLord.
-The merchant hag Melentia will sell most NPC’s armour after killing them. However killing NPCs accrues sin and it carries over into NG+ this time so bear that in mind.
-Checklist of rare/useful/interesting weapons&items that could be missed and that weren’t mentioned above.
---- Grand Lance in Orro’s Memory.
---- Avelyn in Undead Crypt.
---- Santier’s Spear in Doors of Pharros.
---- Staff of Wisdom in Dragon Shrine.
---- Hunter’s Blackbow in Drangleic Castle.
---- Dark Pyromancy Flame in The Gutter.
---- Old Knight Pike in Harvest Valley.
---- Black Knight Halberd in Shaded Ruins.
---- Malformed Shell in Aldia’s Keep.
---- Drangleic Gear after Pursuer battle.
---- Great Lightning Spear in Undead Crypt.
---- Aged Feather given by Emerald Herald in Dragon Aerie, also drops when killed.
---- Binoculars in Majula.

CVE posted:

If you defeat the hippos at the coffin and head back to the Crones and talk to their handmaiden (Milbeth) she gives you a ladle.

If you and the 2nd hippo kill each other at the same time, both hippos will be dead but you won’t get the ladle. :( So I had to wait until NG+ to get it.

Elite fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 28, 2014

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

casual poster posted:

Ah alright. Most likely I will go the DEX route because I haven't before, may even add some faith in just cause. Thanks.

While viable, dex has it a little rougher than other builds because everything has high armor and is weaker to strike than thrust/slash

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Could anyone help me get a handle on parrying this time around?

I used to be pretty reliable at parrying (at least against NPC enemies) in Demon's and Dark Souls--just time the shield swing so that it connects with the enemy's hand and you've got it--but I just can't seem to get a hang of it in Dark Souls II. Is the timing different, or do I just need to pay better attention to enemy move sets?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

redreader posted:

Nobody has posted this really, so I'll try to give a little strength weapon guide, with the weapons I know. My char has like 22 end? 50 str, 18 dex.

Mace: great weapon for early to mid game.
Dual mace: pretty good, outclassed later by greatsword. To be fair I had one fairly upgraded mace not at +10 and the other was unupgraded, and upgraded my greatsword to +10 later but the greatsword did seem better: more range, more damage.

Worth mentioning - the normal basic one-handed club has S level strength scaling at +10, which as far as I can tell makes it outpace the mace if fully upgraded. I'm still using my stupid club against fast enemies when I don't want to two-hand, and it looks ridiculous having all this other cool rear end gear and a dumb plain beating stick in my right hand. But it hits pretty drat hard, especially on the last strikes of the 3 or 4 hit combo.

Been using the Demon's Great Hammer the rest of the time and it's okay, but I'll check out that Giant Warrior Club on your recommendation, I think I have it already but I haven't bothered to upgrade it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Could anyone help me get a handle on parrying this time around?

I used to be pretty reliable at parrying (at least against NPC enemies) in Demon's and Dark Souls--just time the shield swing so that it connects with the enemy's hand and you've got it--but I just can't seem to get a hang of it in Dark Souls II. Is the timing different, or do I just need to pay better attention to enemy move sets?

They made the timing a lot more strict now. I'm not entirely sure why; nobody ever parried in Demon's Souls because the timing was so strict which is why they loosened it up in Dark Souls. It seems weird to go back on that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They made the timing a lot more strict now. I'm not entirely sure why; nobody ever parried in Demon's Souls because the timing was so strict which is why they loosened it up in Dark Souls. It seems weird to go back on that.

Maybe it's because I played Dark Souls first (actually it's definitely because I played Dark Souls first), but parrying in Demon's Souls never seemed that much more strict to me. Definitely a tighter time window, but not so much that I couldn't get the hang of it by the time I was facing my second blue eye knight or so.

But now I'm a whole lot of hours into Dark Souls II and I haven't successfully parried once. Maybe I just need to sit down and keep practicing on some weak enemies.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'd agree Demon's Souls parrying timing is nowhere near as strict as it is in Dks2 w/o a parrying shield. It's tighter than Dark Souls but not that tight.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

Worth mentioning - the normal basic one-handed club has S level strength scaling at +10, which as far as I can tell makes it outpace the mace if fully upgraded. I'm still using my stupid club against fast enemies when I don't want to two-hand, and it looks ridiculous having all this other cool rear end gear and a dumb plain beating stick in my right hand. But it hits pretty drat hard, especially on the last strikes of the 3 or 4 hit combo.

The Club doesn't really overtake the Mace.

At 60 STR and 25 DEX my Mace+10 is at an AR of 378 and my Club+10 is at an AR of 372. Red Rust Sword+5 is also at 372. The difference seems kinda marginal so I think it really comes down to which moveset you prefer.

I guess with lower dex the club might come out on top, but the E DEX scaling on the Mace and Red Rust really shouldn't do much.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
The timing's tighter but the range is much looser if that helps. You have to parry the weapon, not the arm. Different parry things throw up the parry at different points, too -- shields have a delay before the parry, parry shields have a longer one, an offhand scimitar is pretty much instantaneous. Scimitar's a lot easier for me to use in PVE.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

You have to parry the weapon, not the arm.

Aha, that'd do it. My big "breakthrough" with parrying in the previous two games was realizing that you had to parry the arm, not the weapon, so that's pretty deeply ingrained in how I play. Time to do some re-learning!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I was able to summon Lucatiel for the Flexile Sentry then run to and beat the boss before she got there. Her health bar was still full when the boss died. Does this count as her helping me?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Elite posted:

The Club doesn't really overtake the Mace.

At 60 STR and 25 DEX my Mace+10 is at an AR of 378 and my Club+10 is at an AR of 372. Red Rust Sword+5 is also at 372. The difference seems kinda marginal so I think it really comes down to which moveset you prefer.

I guess with lower dex the club might come out on top, but the E DEX scaling on the Mace and Red Rust really shouldn't do much.

I believe my Club came out higher than the Mace (I'm at work, so I can't give you the numbers), but I also have poo poo-all for dex so that might be the difference. At any rate, like you said the difference isn't that much, both are viable.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I believe my Club came out higher than the Mace (I'm at work, so I can't give you the numbers), but I also have poo poo-all for dex so that might be the difference. At any rate, like you said the difference isn't that much, both are viable.

I had 5 DEX on a 40 STR character and the mace was still stronger than the club. I was paying attention while leveling my STR and if I remember my math right the Club would've overtaken the Mace for me at about 44 STR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

Elite posted:

NG checklist

Dude, thanks so much. I've done a lot of this, but I need to go grab another sunlight blade and Havel's armor, and I think I'll be good to go. Where's the Greater Lightning Spear in Amana?

• Locked thread