Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

mfcrocker posted:

Yet my almost certainly duped shiny event Entei gets through happy as larry - nice work Game Freak :v:

Hell, I decided to give a try to get something with an illegal moveset. Aura Sphere on a Raikou. It worked, even though the Event one is the ONLY one who should have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Silegna posted:

Hell, I decided to give a try to get something with an illegal moveset. Aura Sphere on a Raikou. It worked, even though the Event one is the ONLY one who should have it.

If an event poke can get it it's not an illegal moveset. Try and give it like Draco Meteor or something.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Cleretic posted:

The Orre regions were made by a different developer, Genius Sonority, so it's probably not really treated as 'canon'.

The Shadow Pokemon medal is still in the game, but the Jirachi from the bonus disc is rejected by the Transporter for being illegal.

No it doesn't, I have 4 of the god drat things floating around in my bank right now.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Cleretic posted:

The Orre regions were made by a different developer, Genius Sonority, so it's probably not really treated as 'canon'.

The Shadow Pokemon medal is still in the game, but the Jirachi from the bonus disc is rejected by the Transporter for being illegal.

The Wish Maker Jirachi is not rejected by the Transporter completely. It only goofs up and blocks it if the Jirachi is shiny, which is legitimately could be. Still annoying, but it's not a complete block. I know this because I still have mine:

So if you still have your non-shiny Jirachi, you can send it over.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Filthy Haiku posted:

No it doesn't, I have 4 of the god drat things floating around in my bank right now.

Can I trade you a spare Kyogre for one of those sometime later? :sigh:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Ziddar posted:

The Wish Maker Jirachi is not rejected by the Transporter completely. It only goofs up and blocks it if the Jirachi is shiny, which is legitimately could be. Still annoying, but it's not a complete block. I know this because I still have mine:

So if you still have your non-shiny Jirachi, you can send it over.

Eh, I still have my event one with Draco Meteor, so whatever. Though I DO wish I could transfer my shiny one.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

Yet my almost certainly duped shiny event Entei gets through happy as larry - nice work Game Freak :v:

Why would it catch duped wifi event pokemon? Aren't all of them identical to begin with? (same OT, ID, etc.)

I figured that because of the way they're distributed even the legit ones are technically dupes of each other.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Zonekeeper posted:

Why would it catch duped wifi event pokemon? Aren't all of them identical to begin with? (same OT, ID, etc.)

I figured that because of the way they're distributed even the legit ones are technically dupes of each other.

This is true. All you need is the date, and the OT to match when the event was, as well as set it to a "Fateful" encounter.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I can't get my legit Arceus up to XY. I'll have to wait for a spoof GTS to replace a pokemon I didn't even cheat up.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Beerdeer posted:

I can't get my legit Arceus up to XY. I'll have to wait for a spoof GTS to replace a pokemon I didn't even cheat up.

Odd. Which Arceus was it? I have the one that activated the even in SS/HG, and it made it past fine.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

#18. Heartbreaker

Artists are afoot. I can sense it. I can smell the patchouli oil.

Music: Bianca (B2/W2)

You're just giving me this? No reason?

Good segue. Unless there is a meaning other than the standard meaning of a grotto that cannot be easily seen, no. I don't know what those are. Please elaborate.

. . . what place?

D-did you forget to say what it was?

???

Did you hear something? Over all of the street musicians, motorcycles revving and . . . patchouli oil?

. . . I see.

Bianca I—

. . . you HEARD this?

[>No.

Choro Notes: Regardless of your answer, Bianca shoves you into the treehole.

Choro Notes: Hidden Grottoes
Each Hidden Grotto has certain Pokémon that can appear in it. Some are rarer than others. Most often, though, you'll find items. Minccino is the rarest one you can find in this particular grotto, but it's always the first one you find here. The way these work is when you first find a grotto, there will always be something in it. After that, they have a 5% chance of having something else in them every 256 steps. In this particular forest, Minccino have only a 1% chance of appearing. Liepard has a 4% chance and Foongus has a 15% chance. The rest of the results are all items.

Choro Notes: Monsters found within Hidden Grottoes will always have their hidden ability. That is, the third ability that they can't normally be found with in the wild.

. . . what a weird girl.

Now then, for you my brush-tailed little friend.

Easy peasy.

Choro Notes: Minccino's hidden ability is Skill Link, which was originally unique to Shellder and Cloyster. Skill Link takes those moves that hit a variable number of times and makes them always hit for the maximum amount. So Double Slap, Icicle Spear, Rock Blast, etc. Maximum hits.

- - -

This maid is still here and will still buy food items off of you for a premium. You can do something with her in Black2, though. Remember how we bought a dozen Casteliacones back in Castelia City for 100P a shot? She buys them for 500P a piece. You can buy a dozen cones every day and then take them here and sell them if you really wanted.

- - -

Yes, who else would it be?

???: . . . Reading is your hobby, Vinny? I see.

: A-are you looking up my profiles? That's weird. Also no, that's just the only option they let me select that was even close to being creative. Which I am. With paint and junk.

???: That sounds kind of fun. Maybe I should take it up, too. . . . Oops! My colleague is calling me. I have to get back to work! Good-bye.

: . . . friggin' weird. You can answer it next time Jawnie.

- - -

Man that thing's loud.

Choro Notes: If you come here before beating Elesa, this is your roadblock. He's a heartbreaker . . . His name . . . Charles.

Yea alright, I'll have him.

Pokémon battling called Rotation Battle."
Choro Notes: In White2 version, Charles challenges you to a Triple Battle, instead. Unlike Black and White, Rotation battles are not mostly limited to Black. Rotation and Triple battles both occur more often and in both Black2 and White2.

You could say that, I guess. Maybe.

. . . Let's do this already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuNTl51c0c
Choro Notes: Tail Slap
Tail Slap is the signature move of Minccino and Cinccino. It's literally just a slightly stronger Double Slap.

. . .

. . . god drat that guy's cool.

What? Yeah. Yeah. I'm cooler than Charles. Definitely. Yeah.

I'm an artmaker . . . My name . . . Vinny. Yeah.

the heartbreaker, Charles."
Ok, one of those is new to me. I'll see it when I get there, I guess.

What? Why?

. . .

Choro Notes: If you wait on the bridge long enough, you can hear Charizard's cry off in the distance.

Choro Notes: You can still find feathers and Duckletts by walking into the shadows that appear on the bridge, as well.

Bridges are cool and all, but I can't help but think a ferry would be faster.

Music: Driftveil City

That . . . makes some more sense, yeah.

I don't know what it is, but I like this sculpture.

!

take over the world!"
and saying how great you are!"

Oh no.

No no no HUGH I AM LEARNING THINGS WITHOUT THEM KNOWING I AM LEARNING THINGS.

THEY WERE ALREADY TALKING. I WAS EAVESDROPPING, YOU rear end.

DID YOU JUST PUNCH THAT GUY?!

HUGH, YOU ARE A loving rear end in a top hat, BRO.

Oh.

who plans to take over the world."

Hmm.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
For all the crap Hugh gets for his... well, a lot of things, he IS one of the few people in all of Pokemon that straight-up punched a villain in the face. Credit where it's due.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
If you have a charizard with you, the kid on the bridge will ask to see it. IIRC he even gives you an item.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Charles...the heartbreaker...ended up being adapted as a Kamen Rider in the anime.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
Love Minccino's with Skill Link. They have so many attacks that benefit from it. If it also had Focus Energy as a learnable move, I would break my rule of no Single Type Pokemon and use it and it's evolved form.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

OminousEdge posted:

Love Minccino's with Skill Link. They have so many attacks that benefit from it. If it also had Focus Energy as a learnable move, I would break my rule of no Single Type Pokemon and use it and it's evolved form.

I usually use one with a King's Rock. It's fun to have 5 chances to flinch. It does seem a bit cheap though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Charles. :allears:
Yes, he's basically a tutorial fight, but they went ahead and made him into a character with a personality instead of making the Rotation/Triple Battle tutorial be done with a generic NPC. And I like that; it's a small touch that goes a long way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pyroi posted:

Charles...the heartbreaker...ended up being adapted as a Kamen Rider in the anime.

:stare: WHAT. I must see this.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For us normal people, what is a Kamen Rider?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

For us normal people, what is a Kamen Rider?

Japanese spandex kungfu bugmen Power Rangers.

Basically, a Kamen Rider is a dude who transforms into a bug-themed (generally) spandex superhero and fights evil. Kamen Rider is very iconic in Japan, to the point where Rider-1 (the first Kamen Rider) is in a sense, Japan's Superman.

Here's a picture of (a statue of) Rider-1:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
In fact, Kamen Rider being a bug-themed superhero who fights the forces of evil is likely the reason that Dark-types are weak to Bug and Fighting-type attacks.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The episode in question is BW057 where The Mighty Accelguard must face the evil Cryogonal Man and the Vanillite Brothers.

The anime's a lot of fun once in a while.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Rotation battles are neat as hell and I'm glad they're there. It adds a lot more strategy to fights and become a lot more interesting then double or triple battles. All you have to do in those battles is spam attacks that hit multiple targets with your second, center Poke' and it's a done deal.

Rotation means you gotta think about if they'll move to a Pokemon that can take the hit, or has a higher speed, or has a typing that avoids the attack completely. There's even some semblance of bluffing and faking out you can do! With switching no longer costing a turn when you're playing a Rotation battle, there's a lot more you have to think about than just using attacks that hit more than one Poke'.

Rotation battles rule. Charles rules too. Whenever there's a spot in-game where I can have Rotation battles whenever I want, I spend a lot of time there. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Rotation battles are pretty interesting. I like that they're exploring team battles.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wish that there were more rotation battles as well. Even if the computer is horrible at them, you can just see the potential in them.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

I wish that there were more rotation battles as well. Even if the computer is horrible at them, you can just see the potential in them.

I wish there were more Inverse battles. All the good sorts of battles, that really require a lot of thought, seem to be sparse in the games they were introduced in. I really enjoy Inverse, but you can't even battle ONLINE with it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Silegna posted:

I wish there were more Inverse battles. All the good sorts of battles, that really require a lot of thought, seem to be sparse in the games they were introduced in. I really enjoy Inverse, but you can't even battle ONLINE with it.

The only gimmick battle I do not want to see more of are Sky battles. Those are just pointless.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

BearDrivingTruck posted:

In fact, Kamen Rider being a bug-themed superhero who fights the forces of evil is likely the reason that Dark-types are weak to Bug and Fighting-type attacks.

How did neither of you mention that they often have sweet motorcycles?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

booksnake posted:

How did neither of you mention that they often have sweet motorcycles?

I assume because "sweet motorcycle" was implied, what with Charles and all.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Crosspeice posted:

The episode in question is BW057 where The Mighty Accelguard must face the evil Cryogonal Man and the Vanillite Brothers.

The anime's a lot of fun once in a while.
He's so dreamy :swoon:

They could have at least given Charles a unique sprite, instead of Generic Greasy Biker #1724. He's a recurring character after all!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Tardigrade posted:

He's so dreamy :swoon:

They could have at least given Charles a unique sprite, instead of Generic Greasy Biker #1724. He's a recurring character after all!

Perhaps all the other bikers in the game have heard of Charles and aspire to be him, so they dress as much like him as possible.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

#19. Hexenmeistergefängnis

Thanks Chip.

". . . wh-"

I think I've driven horror and sci-fi into the ground at this point in my career. I need to branch out and try something completely new. Maybe something with wizards. Whatcha got for me, Chip?"

" . . . "

Through a door? IT'S THE PART I WAS BORN TO PLAY.

Yo, who's this? Some foreign films actor? Whatever, I look forward to workin' with ya.

Choro Notes: It, uh, turns out Sabrina started an acting career? I wonder why she could be in town~

Choro Notes: This film is a complete pain in the rear end. You have seven turns to KO Woobat and Swoobat with Vanillite. Here's the issue: Woobat will a;ways confuse you with Swagger and then just use Heart Stamp. If you fail to hit, that's your problem. When you beat Woobat, Sabrina will send out Swoobat. Swoobat's moves are Attract, Supersonic, Substitute and Amnesia. DO YOU SEE WHY THIS IS ANNOYING?

quote:

Script
Plot

A magical queen sets a trap. Through the suspicious door!

Mission
Knock out all foes in seven scenes.

Script
Scene 1: Attack the foe!
Scene 2: Watch your foe!
Scene 3: Attack the foe! The line you choose is important!
Scene 4: Attack the foe!
Scene 5: Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 6: Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 7: Deliver a decisive blow!

S'what I do. Gonna be a big star y'know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBpYSCKw8Is

This job just gets better and better! I wonder what happens to Princess Rosa! I think they should write the whole script before releasing the first part! But then that's why I'm not a scripty-type writer-type! . . . or a type-writer!

- - -

Choro Notes: This film is a pain in the rear end for a different reason. Prop W2 is a grass-type. This is no problem for an ice-type like Vanillish except that you need to deliver the final blow with Astonish. On top of that, Prop W2 has Lucky Chant, Ingrain, Amnesia and Rest as its only moves. This has a trick though. Since your Vanillish has Toxic, you can kill it with Toxic damage as long as your attack that turn was Astonish this doesn't always work for some reason though and I've gotten bad ends from doing that.

quote:

Script
Plot

A gatekeeper waits in a magic cage.

Mission
Knock out SFX Prop W2 with Astonish. Don't knock it out with any other move.

Script
Scene 1: Pay attention to the power of moves!
Scene 2: Pay attention to the power of moves!
Scene 3: Use a move with low power! The line you choose is important!
Scene 4: Pay attention to the power of moves!
Scene 5: Pay attention to the power of moves! The line you choose is important!
Scene 6: Pay attention to the power of moves!
Scene 7: Pay attention to the power of moves!
Scene 8: Pay attention to the power of moves!
Scene 9: Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 10: Deliver a decisive blow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqg80E7cdZw
Choro Notes: If you bring a monster in that knows Substitute and use it against Prop W2, you'll get easter egg dialogue about how the Plush Doll looks like the Substitute doll.

Sweeeeeets~

- - -

Choro Notes: The script for this one looks intimidating, but it's probably the easiest of the three. There are two props, one is a Fire-type that attacks with Inferno. The other is a Grass-type that attacks with Flame Charge. You need to stall against the first one until it switches out and KO the second one. The trick to this one is using the weather to both weaken your opponents' attacks and to strengthen Weather Ball.

quote:

Script
Plot

Fate rests on the choice between doors. Which one leads back?

Mission
Knock out SFX Prop W2 in 20 scenes. Don't knock out any other foes.

Script
Scene 1: Use the weather!
Scene 2: Prepare yourself for your foe's attacks!
Scene 3: Prepare yourself for your foe's attacks! The line you choose is important!
Scene 4: Prepare yourself for your foe's attacks!
Scene 5: Use a move the foe is weak to! The line you choose is important!
Scene 6: Use the weather!
Scene 7: Use a move the foe is weak to!
Scene 8: Use a move the foe is weak to!
Scene 9: Use a move the foe is weak to!
Scene 10: Use a move the foe is weak to!
Scene 11: Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 12: Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 13: Deliver a decisive blow! The line you choose is important!
Scene 14: Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 15: Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 16: Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 17: Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 18: Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 19: Deliver a decisive blow!
Scene 20: Deliver a decisive blow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzK31g1pq_g

So I can't help but notice that Plush Doll didn't get a resolution. I guess he just stayed a doll then. Sure, ok. Where's my sugar?

- - -

quote:

- Fantasy Movie Master - A Medal commemorating the release of the full series of "Mystery Doors of the Magical Land" in Pokéstar Studios.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
You got super lucky with infatuation in that first movie, wow. :stare:

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Rose Spirit posted:

You got super lucky with infatuation in that first movie, wow. :stare:

This was attempt 12 to get that movie done.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Chorocojo posted:

Still pretty drat lucky, honestly.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Chorocojo posted:

Which once again goes to underscore the main problem with the movie battles. It's a great concept, but a flawed execution.

When you're presenting a player with a puzzle, the first step of the solution shouldn't be, "Pray for a random number seed that doesn't hate you."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If you bring in your own Pokemon for that black door, can you use any flinch move or does it have to be Astonish?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Which once again goes to underscore the main problem with the movie battles. It's a great concept, but a flawed execution.

When you're presenting a player with a puzzle, the first step of the solution shouldn't be, "Pray for a random number seed that doesn't hate you."

And not make them sit through so much crap every time they want to retry it...

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
^Everyone knows the ~*true stars*~ get it right in one take.

The RNG for movies should be set to the same seed each time through, and the results could be altered based on the moves you use or the responses you give when acting. That already supposedly locks in an opponent's moves in some cases, so why can't it just fix the RNG too? Could even make "strategic crits" part of the script that way.

Glazius posted:

If you bring in your own Pokemon for that black door, can you use any flinch move or does it have to be Astonish?
I'll answer with a question; which would be more frustrating for the player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
e: wrong thread

• Locked thread