Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who would win in a fight?
Iko Uwais
Tony Jaa
Jackie Chan
Bruce Lee
Jet Li
Donnie Yen
Steven Seag-ahahahahahahahahahah
View Results

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MuXrN8L9ro

Made by director Gareth Evans, a Welshman who moved from the UK to Indonesia and discovered much of his talent while doing a documentary on Silat, the local fighting style.

Taking place where the first one left off, The Raid 2 finds officer Rama (Iko Uwais) going deep cover to take down some criminals and corrupt cops

It is unknown if the The Raid 2 continues to feature actual raids or if said raids are metaphorical. It is known that there will be kickass fight scenes and you will punch the Goddamn sky

If you haven't seen The Raid: Redemption go do so, it features some really brutal fight choreography

This time there are new characters Hammer Girl ( Julie Estelle )

and Baseball Bat Guy

Yes yes storywise we are looking at The Indo Wire. Shut up and feast your eyes :stare::commissar::munch::suspense::slick:

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
The first one was really awesome. I had a friend who wanted to see it but I knew nothing about it, so I went in completely blind except for knowing it was a Indonesian action movie getting good reviews. I'll definitely have to see this one when I get a chance.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Just got back from the theater, and I have to say it was loving awesome. Even more brutal than the first. What the hell was up with that snow scene though? And where are they finding these awesome apartments? Rama is supposed to be clean but there's no way he's affording a place like that in Jakarta unless he's on the take.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is supposed to be a deleted scene, can someone whos seen it confirm.
http://id.celebrity.yahoo.com/video/raid-2-adegan-yang-dibuang-072608459.html

It's pretty loving amazing.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 28, 2014

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Rocksicles posted:

Confirmed, at least for the version I saw.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why did they cut it out, did they need to squeeze a story in there or something? That poo poo was bad rear end.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Rocksicles posted:

Why did they cut it out, did they need to squeeze a story in there or something? That poo poo was bad rear end.
It's 2.5 hours long as is, that's a bit on the long side for an action movie and 50% longer than the original. And yes, they put a lot more plot in this one. You're still guaranteed your fill of ciat ciat though.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
The movie's official web site has release dates for the U.S.; limited release in NYC and LA on March 28, full release is April 11.

Rocksicles posted:

The director mentioned in an interview that it was cut for pacing purposes:

quote:

Gareth Evans on the one deleted scene scene he’s still reconsidering.

I’m still debating whether I should have put it in or not. There was one big shootout. It was to tie in with the first time we show Hammer Girl, Baseball Bat Man, that montage sequence. At the beginning we show this festival going on so there was a scene where after they cut to black from the Baseball Bat Man hitting the guy, it was going to cut back to the festival and we had a big shootout between the Japanese gang and the Indonesian gang. It killed the pace of the thing. It was starting to get too long and we needed to get Iko in the taxi as well. Iko’s the focus of the film. These two gangs, we don’t see them before, we won’t see them again, because it’s a loving massacre. But it was hard to cut because that was a hard shoot. That was four or five days’ worth of filming.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I got a chance to see this at a screening with a Q&A afterwards. Seeing Iwo and Garett rip on each other was pretty hilarious.

The movie blew me away. Its got a pretty standard "cop must go undercover to take down the underworld" plot but its handled with such style and intensity that I was glued to the screen.

The action sequences are among some of the best in all of martial arts films. Amazing choreography, insane violence and all of it shot in a very visually comprehensible way. They have weight and momentum and genuienly made me fear for the protagonist. Not once did he feel invinsible.

It also has an amazing car chase.

If you like the first one I cant imagine that youd dislike this one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've said this elsewhere but I was overall kind of underwhelmed by this movie. It wasn't bad by any stretch, but it took the weakest element of the original (actual plot scenes) and made it a much larger percent of the movie. It's just odd to me that this much time is spent on a plot where basically one character is developed and he's not the central character nor does his story go anywhere particularly interesting. Rama remains a very bland character in this movie to the point where the movie just forgets about him until it remembers to bring him back at the end to have him beat every one up for no immediately apparent reason. I wouldn't mind time being devoted to plot if it was the least bit interesting but to me it really wasn't. Like in the OP you list new characters "hammer girl" and "baseball bat guy" and while their fight scenes are cool, that is pretty much all the character they get. They show up, they fight, that's it. They are bosses in a beat em up.

The central action is still amazing but now there's just so much dull downtime. The original was relentless and gave me no time to breathe. This movie gives me so much time to breathe that I honestly had to refocus myself when action actually started happening. Garret is a talented directer but he's a pretty poo poo writer. The original was an hour and a half of action in an hour and a half movie. This one was an hour and a half of action in a two and a half hour movie, which to me is less special.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Rocksicles posted:

That is ONE hell of a deleted scene! Going to have to make it out to the LA Arclight this weekend to see it, can't wait for the wide release in April.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

This time there are new characters Hammer Girl ( Julie Estelle )

I thought you were kidding about the character name and looked the movie up on IMDB. And to my surprise you werent. This bodes well.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just saw it.
I thought the attempt to turn in a complex crime epic really ruined the movie.
The Raid was relentless and packed incredibly tight, and there are a couple of scenes here that match it, but I found it mostly sagging under long stretches of a really uninteresting plot.
Also, we lose sight of our protagonist for what felt like half of the movie.
Really disappointed.

e:

Snowman_McK posted:

Counterpoint: There was a deaf hammer assassin girl in this movie.

If it was just about our dude versus the one crime boss with the unique assassins, that could've worked.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 29, 2014

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just saw it.
The Raid was relentless and packed incredibly tight, and there are a couple of scenes here that match it, but I found it mostly sagging under long stretches of a really uninteresting plot.
Really disappointed.

Also Mad Dog was in it, but it totally wasn't Mad Dog.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
It was a bit long, but the action was excellent and there was a lot of it. The plot was serviceable as well, and I can't really fault it for trying to tell a story. It's hard to see any fan of the genre being disappointed overall. The last 2 fight scenes in particular were amazing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Just saw it, definitely could have lost some of the plot excess. Fights were still brutal nonetheless

Wazzit posted:

That is ONE hell of a deleted scene! Going to have to make it out to the LA Arclight this weekend to see it, can't wait for the wide release in April.

Which scene was the one from the trailer where Uco is going down the escalator and shoots a guy? I don't think that was in the final cut

bobby2times posted:

I thought you were kidding about the character name and looked the movie up on IMDB. And to my surprise you werent. This bodes well.

(she has parachute pants)

Snowman_McK posted:

Also Mad Dog was in it, but it totally wasn't Mad Dog.

That confused the gently caress out of me, for a second I had to try and remember if he died in Raid

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just saw it.
Really disappointed.

e:

If it was just about our dude versus the one crime boss with the unique assassins, that could've worked.

Yeah it seems to be lack focus during the plottage. It wants to do a rise and fall crime drama but then we kinda lose sight of Rama and what drives him. What we get in turn is a bunch of new underworld boss characters who are supposed to add some color and expand the world but ultimately make me wonder what their point was. Not to mention one of the twists and turns kick in we just start wondering why characters act the way they do. Except for Hammer Girl and Captain Baseball Bat Boy, they do what they love

And can someone explain the tattoo "revelation" at the end? Where Reza(?) has to pick up his cane and Uco notices the same tattoo as the dude that was executed earlier? I wasn't even sure who those guys were

Rocksicles posted:

Who were these guys? I don't recognize any of them

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 29, 2014

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Alan Smithee posted:

Who were these guys? I don't recognize any of them
The only one who appears in the rest of the movie is the older guy who is one of Bangun's capos.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ogantai posted:

The only one who appears in the rest of the movie is the older guy who is one of Bangun's capos.

Did he wind up dead? I seriously don't remember him

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Alan Smithee posted:

Did he wind up dead? I seriously don't remember him
Probably. I don't remember him specifically dying but at the end Rama tells the Japanese that he killed everyone, so I'd put the odds of his survival pretty low. Wasn't he in the first one too?

Alan Smithee posted:

And can someone explain the tattoo "revelation" at the end? Where Reza(?) has to pick up his cane and Uco notices the same tattoo as the dude that was executed earlier? I wasn't even sure who those guys were
Uco realizes that the guys who tried to kill him in prison were part of the same gang, so Bejo is the one who was trying to kill him in the first place. That's my theory, at least.

Ogantai fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 29, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ogantai posted:

Probably. I don't remember him specifically dying but at the end Rama tells the Japanese that he killed everyone, so I'd put the odds of his survival pretty low. Wasn't he in the first one too?
Uco realizes that the guys who tried to kill him in prison were part of the same gang, so Reza is the one who was trying to kill him in the first place. That's my theory, at least.

You might be thinking of the guy who ran the building in the first one? took a bullet to the head

Also you're probably right about the tat but it confused me because I thought he pretty much already knew which gang attacked him. The whole dynamic between Reza(?) and Uco was weird and just didn't make sense most of the time honestly.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Alan Smithee posted:

You might be thinking of the guy who ran the building in the first one? took a bullet to the head
You're right, it just the hair I guess.

Alan Smithee posted:

Also you're probably right about the tat but it confused me because I thought he pretty much already knew which gang attacked him. The whole dynamic between Bejo and Uco was weird and just didn't make sense most of the time honestly.
Ehh, Uco wants to get out of his father's shadow, Bejo offers him an opportunity, then Uco finds out he's been playing him since the beginning and takes revenge. That said, Bejo himself doesn't make a lot of sense because the dude wears wool peacoats in Jakarta. That's like visiting Antarctica in a wife-beater.

Ogantai fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 29, 2014

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I think you guys are talking about Bejo, not Reza, Reza is the old cop, Bejo is the one with sunglasses and a cane.

Bejo wanted to take out Uco's father and Uco wanted to work with him in order to take his position as head of the family which he couldn't do with his father holding him back. I think that's the general dynamic.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Wandle Cax posted:

I think you guys are talking about Bejo, not Reza, Reza is the old cop, Bejo is the one with sunglasses and a cane.
D'oh! You're right, editing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

Bejo wanted to take out Uco's father and Uco wanted to work with him in order to take his position as head of the family which he couldn't do with his father holding him back. I think that's the general dynamic.

Bejo was the half-arab they mentioned right? I probably thought he was Reza because Arabs = Persians right? And I got the gist of that but to me it was like, why would Uco be shocked SHOCKED at all that the shady guy who was being shady about double crossing Uco's dad turned out to be a shady double crosser? Not to mention Uco himself was the guy who's loyalty Rama bought in the first place but then Uco tosses Rama under the bus when he turns on his dad I mean I would have though he'd at least be a bro to Rama but whatevs I don't know, fight FIGht FIGHT

Man they threw around a lot of drat names in that movie

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 29, 2014

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Alan Smithee posted:

Bejo was the half-arab they mentioned right? I probably thought he was Reza because Arabs = Persians right?

Yes, Bejo (and the actor who plays him, a former MTV VJ) are both half-Arab.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Bejo was the half-arab they mentioned right? I probably thought he was Reza because Arabs = Persians right? And I got the gist of that but to me it was like, why would Uco be shocked SHOCKED at all that the shady guy who was being shady about double crossing Uco's dad turned out to be a shady double crosser? Not to mention Uco himself was the guy who's loyalty Rama bought in the first place but then Uco tosses Rama under the bus when he turns on his dad I mean I would have though he'd at least be a bro to Rama but whatevs I don't know, fight FIGht FIGHT

Yeah, I guess Uco wasn't the smartest and didn't think things through that much. He seemed a bit like a kid with more ambition than he had brains. Also I did enjoy that after the Japanese "declared war", by the time they show up Rama had single handedly killed everyone himself.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah, I guess Uco wasn't the smartest and didn't think things through that much. He seemed a bit like a kid with more ambition than he had brains. Also I did enjoy that after the Japanese "declared war", by the time they show up Rama had single handedly killed everyone himself.

My one gripe about that scene My friend and I both agreed they should have done the *respectfully parts like the red sea* thing, cliche as it is the place they ended the movie was weird and abrupt

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

My one gripe about that scene My friend and I both agreed they should have done the *respectfully parts like the red sea* thing, cliche as it is the place they ended the movie was weird and abrupt

Well the Japanese guy obviously was impressed and offered Rama a job during the part we couldn't hear, I think they wanted to end it on a definitive "I'm done" from Rama.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

Well the Japanese guy obviously was impressed and offered Rama a job during the part we couldn't hear, I think they wanted to end it on a definitive "I'm done" from Rama.

I took the "i'm done" to mean "I'm done killing all these motherfuckers, it's all yours"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I didn't like the first Raid movie much - how similar is the action in the sequel to the action in the first one?

My problem with the action in the first movie is that every fight seemed overly drawn out, and every opponent seemed like a complete martial-arts master. Maybe it's just a convention of the genre or something, but I was expecting Rama to be dispatching people left-and-right with efficient, economical, brutal-looking hits that flat-out put people down and kept them down. Instead even the lowliest opponent he faced was able to take extreme punishment and get right back up as if they'd never been hit at all, and it made Rama look less competent. The fights felt drawn-out for the sake of throwing more punches - it made most of them a chore to watch.

I'm not saying there weren't good fights in the movie (the 2v1 fight against Mad Dog, and when Mad Dog kills Jaka, were both great), it was just that the "Rama vs Generic Thug #24" fights were overly long and lovely.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Alan Smithee posted:

I took the "i'm done" to mean "I'm done killing all these motherfuckers, it's all yours"
Rama said cukup, which literally means "enough". He's not just done killing these guys, he's done for good... at least until they pull him back in for one last big score, I imagine.

Edit: If he meant he was just finished with those guys he probably would have said habis instead.

Ogantai fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 29, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ogantai posted:

Rama said cukup, which literally means "enough". He's not just done killing these guys, he's done for good... at least until they pull him back in for one last big score, I imagine.

Well you clearly got a different experience than I did.

Xenomrph posted:

I didn't like the first Raid movie much - how similar is the action in the sequel to the action in the first one?

My problem with the action in the first movie is that every fight seemed overly drawn out, and every opponent seemed like a complete martial-arts master. Maybe it's just a convention of the genre or something, but I was expecting Rama to be dispatching people left-and-right with efficient, economical, brutal-looking hits that flat-out put people down and kept them down. Instead even the lowliest opponent he faced was able to take extreme punishment and get right back up as if they'd never been hit at all, and it made Rama look less competent. The fights felt drawn-out for the sake of throwing more punches - it made most of them a chore to watch.

I'm not saying there weren't good fights in the movie (the 2v1 fight against Mad Dog, and when Mad Dog kills Jaka, were both great), it was just that the "Rama vs Generic Thug #24" fights were overly long and lovely.

Were we watchiing the same Raid? Are we remembering the same hallway fight? You kinda described the Mad Dog fight

I don't know what to tell you since the movie is padded by plot stuff now but fight scenes are still fight scenes, they take place in different types of spaces, but it's still a lot of stabby punchy silat stuff.

I would say the prison riot and car chase has a lot of lingering opponents though. The fight in the kitchen is pretty mad doggy

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 29, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just re-watched the hallway fight on youtube and it's better than I remember it (mostly because he has a knife and he's stabbing people - the moment he loses the knife on the last 2 opponents, it starts to drift towards what I'm talking about), but the meth lab fight has a lot of what I was talking about. There sure are a whole lot of generic unnamed martial arts badasses in that meth lab.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Alan Smithee posted:

Well you clearly got a different experience than I did.
Meh, that's one part where a distinction was lost unnecessarily but for most part the subtitlers did they best the could. I don't think it would have been better for most foreign viewers if the characters called each other bedbugs instead of assholes just to keep the translation as literal as possible.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I just re-watched the hallway fight on youtube and it's better than I remember it (mostly because he has a knife and he's stabbing people - the moment he loses the knife on the last 2 opponents, it starts to drift towards what I'm talking about), but the meth lab fight has a lot of what I was talking about. There sure are a whole lot of generic unnamed martial arts badasses in that meth lab.

I'd say the fight after the car garage crash in the trailer towards the end is closest to that in terms of unbelievability.

Ogantai posted:

Meh, that's one part where a distinction was lost unnecessarily but for most part the subtitlers did they best the could. I don't think it would have been better for most foreign viewers if the characters called each other bedbugs instead of assholes just to keep the translation as literal as possible.

I think it was just knowing the switch between the japanese and indo because they made a big deal about the cultural thing between the gangs

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ogantai posted:

I thought the subtitled line was, "No, i'm done" as in, turning down the Japanese guy's offer to kill guys for them. In any case it was pretty clear to me he was meaning he was finished with killing in general and had enough of all that.

Also, as for the fights, I feel Rama had relative ease in taking out most opponents until the very end fights. Even if the common grunt opponents do try and put up a fight it does not last more than a few hits before they are subdued.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah last one's a marathon of dudes and boss fights

and then more dudes and a QTE sequence

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Wandle Cax posted:

I thought the subtitled line was, "No, i'm done" as in, turning down the Japanese guy's offer to kill guys for them. In any case it was pretty clear to me he was meaning he was finished with killing in general and had enough of all that.
I agree, but if I were in charge of subtitling this I would have rendered it as "No, I've had enough" just to make it unambiguous.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I realize now that I have a real problem where in any fight scene I'll just root for the more attractive combatant(s). This is usually fine as far as The Raid goes, since Iko Uwais is aight, but it led to some real conflicted feelings when he went up against Hammer Girl and Baseball Bat Man.

I got pretentious opinions where I likely read too much into this film and into its visual choices, and I'mma post those at a later date.

EDIT:

Gonna timg a huge version of the poster from the OP here:

Okay so left to right, I got:

Prakoso, Bunawar, Eka, ???, Rama, Uco, Bejo, Goto's right-hand man, Bejo's three assassins. Seated in the front are Bangun and Goto.

Who's the guy I'm missing? I feel really dumb about this.

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I had much the same feelings to the first film as Xeno; while the cops were gunfighting it was very exciting and intense, then once it turned into a series of martial arts brawls where characters were having their heads repeatedly kicked and smashed against concrete without a care, it got a bit boring.

• Locked thread