Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GIMP wasn't cooperating with the magic wand - every time I tried, especially with Nina it would keep selecting her face or hair along with the cruft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Update Four: Marriage Is What Brings Us Together Today

When we leave Junkyard, we get an email. You can see it at the bottom, as usual. We head southeast from town to find a new area.

Currently, there is nothing in the Impound Lot, but if we leave a tank sitting around outside too long, it will show up here. This also happens if we somehow lose a tank in a place we can't salvage it ourselves. The place has no cover, so tanks left here will get bird poo poo and mushrooms on them. Bird poo poo is purely cosmetic, but mushrooms have weight and therefore reduce your tank's maximum SP. From the Impound Lot, we follow the remains of a highway northeast, towards a river, where we find a new area.

This is a Trader Camp. They have various shops and can be very handy when you're grinding. Our actual destination is Newfork, that blue dot on our minimap. While here, we check out the tents. In the first is a free slingshot. In the second is a guy.

Trader: Well, no matter what it is, you'd never be able to find it on foot. ...S'gotta be some way to find out.

This is a hint to find one of the other tanks, but we don't have the item we need to get it yet, and if we did, we have no one to drive a second tank yet anyway.

Be careful when you roam the world map - tanks can't enter forests, and it can be very dangerous on foot if you don't have good armor and levels.

While you drive around, you can mash X to occasionally find items like this. The Sharp Rock, Smooth Rock and Beautiful Rock are all items you can use in battle. We've found a Sharp Rock here, and I never manage to find a Smooth Rock...at least, not so far. We've headed west along the riverbank - we need to cross the river to get to Newfork, and this is the easiest way to find the bridge. Just south of the bridge on the other side is another trading post.

The last one only had one shop, which sold the basic gear that Sam started with. Not much there for us. Here, there might be more. The trader in back sells tank gear.

One piece of it. It's a decent upgrade for our sub gun, and it deals electric-element damage, but the weight is noticeable and with our current engine, a bit too high. We'll come back for it later, once we upgrade from our basic engine.

Here in the only tent we can get into, an item shop sells Healing Drinks, which are the next step up in healing items - 100 HP per shot - and Thunder Grenades, which deal electrical damage in battle. We grab one of each. From here, it's a straight shot east to hit Newfolk. On the way, we run into various new monsters. I'll talk about them in a bit, though.

Once inside, it's time to do what we always do when we find a new area: talk to people! McKinley, of course, is waiting for us.

: Well, you see, before the Great Destruction, Newfolk was part of a large city. You can tell because the pavement is nicer than in other towns, and the buildings are better aligned. These days, since the desert north of the city is overrun with monsters, including several on the wanted list-- many hunters like yourself use this town as their base of operations. That's about all I can think of to tell you, so I'll be on my way. Hope to see you around!

Once he runs off, we talk to the guy standing nearby.

Mercenary: This... is Newfolk! Oh... OK.

...thanks?

Woman: That's good to hear. The elder used to run a soda shop back in the day. I would buy sweets there with the money I earned salvaging junk.

Well, that's nice! I like learning more about incidental characters. The elder was the old guy standing outside the entrance to Junk Mountain. Now we head into the first of the two garages in this town.

Rent-a-Tank is open for business and has two rental tanks ready, but we have no one to drive them yet. Once we do, we'll be stopping by.

I'd forgotten the first Assembly Shop was so close! I left the gear I need to assemble a new weapon back in Junkyard. We'll be stopping by later this update, though.

The Tianov is a great upgrade from the Donkey, so we grab one. We also upgrade to the 75mm Cannon for our main gun and grab a Teleporter. Teleporters are weightless and don't even have to be equipped - just on your tanks. They're cheap, so I put 'em on every tank I get. They are also very, very useful - they add a new option to the menu when in dungeons or the field. We'll see it in a bit.

The Shell Shop sells special shells for our main gun. This one sells spare shells, which are identical to normal ammo and electric shells, which deal electric damage. I've never really needed to carry spare shells, and I don't need electrical ammo right now. We head next door, to the other garage.

Nikolai is the guy that Nina asked us to talk to.

: How have you been? I heard from Nina that you became a hunter.

Don't ask me how he did it. Maybe McKinley told him.

: Congratulations on fulfilling your childhood dream! If you're looking for a mechanic, consider my son or daughter. They still need more training, but they can repair most vehicles. I'd go with you myself, but I'm too old to be on the road. Besides, I can't just up and leave this garage behind.
: I guess I'm just set in my ways, hahaha! Well, I'm sure I'm just boring you. Anyway, those kids are around here somewhere... Why don't you try talking to them?

We could, but I'm going to talk to Nikolai again.

See, Nikolai handles tank painting. He'll paint any tank you own, but not rented tanks - he could get in trouble doing that, see. Let's take a look at tank painting.

We could mess around with the custom paint job editor, but I suck at using it. If you want me to use a custom paint job, make it yourself and upload the save file containing it for me. There are, however, a number of automatic paint jobs we could get.

Please feel free to vote on which you want for Sam, if any!

This garage also has a supply shop for armor and ammo, and a repair shop if we got damaged. But let's talk to the girl in pink wandering the floor.

: Haven't seen you in a while.

There will be no vote about naming party members - I'm going with default names. Misha is one of our potential Mechanics! We'll be using both, at various points, but for now we will be voting on which one we want. We've been friends with Misha for years, despite the fact that she lives across a monster-filled wasteland from us. I guess Eddy took Max to visit.

: My dad has been training me to be a mechanic.
: ......
: So, what brings you here?
: Oh, you have a proposition for me?

: Ok, fine with me. I'm not busy.

That marriage offer is tempting, though...she seems nice! Anyway. We head upstairs.

: Did you really become a hunter?
: Hey, don't tell me you forgot who I am! C'mon, you remember my name, don't you?

Kiriya is Misha's older brother, and has also been our friend since we were kids. He's our other possible Mechanic.

: What? Are you serious? Well, if you change your mind later, don't expect me to go with you.

He totally will.

In the meantime, we steal Kiriya's baseball bat, Misha's lightning rod and Nikolai's insulator. The former two are decent melee weapons, though Max can't use the Lightning Rod, but the latter is just an item. Then it's off to great Nikolai's wife.

: Feel free to drop by when you're in the area! I worry about you!

We grab a Big Medal and make our way out, heading to the bar next door. Once inside, it's time to meet three more important people.

: So far, we've uncovered nothing but trivial information.
: I see. This area is still untouched. There's no need to rush things. Take as much time as you need.
: Understood.
: OK, Boss.

Wonder what that's about. We go talk to the lady at the bar. She sells us information - we can pay 100, 200 or 400G for it. For 100G, she'll just mention that Dragon Choppers drop eyeballs worth good money. For 200, she'll mention they're east of here, between the river and the mountains. For 400, she says she used to hunt them years ago, when there were a lot of Dragon Choppers, and that there's a convenient camp near their area. Furthermore, she adds, they'll die to a single Thunder Grenade. Next, we head to the bar. I need a drink.

Good stuff!

Trader: I've been waiting for my friends, and they're still not here. Their camp's just northwest of here, so it shouldn't have taken this long. Don't they know that time is money in the business world!? Argh!

This is a hint about some trouble later.

This guy is actually just explaining durability. No matter how powerful your main gun is, if it breaks, then it's useless! So upgrading your gun's durability at a mod shop and making sure it's powerful are both important.

Guy: the League of Uncivilized Barbarians. They've been making a name for themselves in the West. People say they're fearless, attacking traders even criminals wouldn't mess with. They've been wreaking havoc everywhere, except in towns, thankfully.

Sounds like trouble. His drinking companion, though...

(Click here for video!)

Man: Oh, really? Then let's see who can drink more!

If we had multiple party members, we could pick who plays the minigame.

We have one minute to down five drinks. Milk is the easiest. You drink by mashing X, which makes your Drink meter go up and the amount of liquid in the glass go down. Milk raises the Drink meter slowly per push of X.

This bubble tea raises it faster. When you hit the Danger area on the drink meter, best to lay off for a bit - if you max it out, you will cough and sputter and lose time you could be drinking in. Vinegar is the hardest we'll run into in this game. It's still easy.

There is no reward whatsoever. The old man at the bar will drop the name Red Fox but won't tell us anything about it. We grab the game off the arcade machine and grab the MP3s from the jukebox. We'll look at our games in a bit. Now it's time to talk to the man in the suit.

: Mankind once flourished in a way the people of today can't even imagine. But one day, their prosperous civilization suddenly collapsed. The reason for this is unknown. What seemed a horrible nightmare quickly became people's daily reality.
: However, not all of mankind resigned itself to this harsh life. There is an organization working to restore the prosperity of the past. I am a member of that organization, and these are my subordinates. I've been asked to research the technology of our predecessors, and if possible, to obtain samples. So you see, our interests coincide with those of hunters like yourself.
: If you head north through the desert, you'll run into some interesting ruins. Also, northwest of there, but south of East Zero, is a facility rumored to have been built before the Great Destruction.
: Are you sure it's OK to trust this kid, Boss?
: It's not a concern. There are many monsters in these areas. It's a perfect opportunity for a hunter to make himself useful.
: Good point, Boss. We don't get paid by the kill...
: Yes, thank you for "clarifying" that. Now, back to business. The technology from before the Great Destruction is often beyond our immediate comprehension. If you find anything that seems promising, please inform us. In return, we'll provide you with information on locations that a hunter such as yourself would profit by searching. That's what I meant when I said our interests coincide. So, what do you say? You scratch our back, and we'll scratch yours.
: You hunters are quite a resourceful breed. We'd appreciate any help you can give us. That said, we'll be on our way now. I'm certain we'll meet again.

Well, that was...interesting. We head out and talk to another guy.

Repair Shop: Even so, he's like a god to us mechanics. Does that surprise you?

Okay. We head to a nearby house.

Girl: Isn't that cool!?

Young Father: Now, I'll have to work even harder!

In the next room, we steal the family's Camo Cap, a good armor upgrade for our hat.

Boy: No dustbunnies, either!

Young Mother: I feel like royalty!

:unsmith: Off to visit another man, who is outside the local teleporter.

Soldier: He got rich working as a hunter, built a town, and named it after himself. It's just north of here. I hear he's retired now-- livin' la vida loca. Lucky bastard...

The town teleporter serves as a fast travel system between any teleporter units we've been to before. Very handy! Here in Junkyard, we get another email from Eddy and pick up some of the items I left behind. I notice, however, that I don't have the Junk I need to complete my assembly. I head back to Newfolk anyway. A man there warns us to be careful in the northern desert, and that the safest route is to follow the river, where we'll find trader camps. He also warns us not to go north of the desert, which is far too dangerous. Good advice! We head to a nearby house and steal a bugle and a photograph.

I feel kind of bad about this. Oh well! Time to talk to Hare Head!

: How far you've traveled, and how many people you've met... That's what determines your worth in this world!

Vaya con Dios, Hare Head. We stop by the Hunter's Office and find the new hunt target and update our Outlaw roster.

The Dud S is not worth our time to grind. And now, there's an item we need, so it's time to head to the inn. We take the Economy Room for 30G. However...

Our sleep is briefly interrupted by a very annoying buzzing noise.

This is the real reason we stayed in this room. The Mine Detector is an item we'd otherwise have to purchase for more than 30G, and it is vital for finding hidden items! We also take arest in Normal Room #2 for another item.

...the Gideons have been getting weird lately. Anyway, it's time to leave and find our Junk!

The Mine Detector looks like this. It will flash if an item is in its radius, and you can then pick that item up.

This is back near the first trader camp we visited. The Leather Jacket's a good armor upgrade, and the Uzi is like the Shotgun but twice as powerful. It hits everyone, and is about half as powerful as the Slingshot.

Sharp Rocks are usable in battle and deal poor damage...better than other rocks, if they hit, but they are extremely inaccurate, because they're hard to throw.

Beautiful Rocks are more accurate, but still can't deal much damage.

Monsters

These things are chumps. They're fast and shoot missiles out of the sunflower face - the back actually has a missile launcher attached to it - but they can't even scratch us.

Iron Slugs would be worth hunting if they didn't run away all the time.

Magnum Cycles are nasty on foot, but in Sam, we can trash them easily.

These things are just annoying - they're bombs, and they fall on you, and then they explode. The explosion can be painful. Anyway, eventually we got that Junk we needed.

The Teleporter adds this to your menu. On the field, it lets you warp to any town you've visited. In a dungeon, it will warp you out to the field. No cost, you just have to be in a tank with a Teleporter.

Back at the Assembly Shop, I put this together. We got the first three items trading Junk to the kid at Junk Mountain. The Drill Claw is a melee weapon that's almost twice as powerful as the Slingshot. I equip it to Max immediately. Then it's time to play some games.

(Click here for video.)

Frog Race isn't much of a game. You pick how much you want to bet, pick a frog and off they go. You cannot influence the race.

It's pretty cute, at least.

Crossfire is a game. It costs 100G per play, even downloaded, and it's pretty simple. You control a tank, and have to fire on enemy tanks and vehicles as they cross the screen and shoot at you. You can move horizontally and press X to fire.

Each enemy you hit drops a powerup you can get. I don't know what they all do.

If you get hit by a bullet or hit an ambulance or civilian running around, you take damage.

There is no reward. Anyway, let's go talk to Misha again, I'm feeling ready to settle down.

(Click here for the cutscene!)

: Ummm... Alright, count me in.

: OK, if that's what you want.

: I see. Basically, it's the "Please let me marry your daughter" scenario.

: Oh my, I never knew that.
: ...... Anyhow, I'm OK with it, but it's not what I think that matters. What's really important is that you two truly want to be together. Right, dear?
: I agree. But, shouldn't we consult Max's parents too?
: Yes... Leave that to me.

: Hmm, I have no reason to object. If those two have made up their minds, then it's fine with me. You've already given them your blessing, right?
: Yes, we have. We're very excited for them.
: Nina, what do you think?
: I don't know what to think. It's so sudden.
: There's nothing to worry about! Our daughter is a very hard worker! She could be your apprentice!
: I'm sure that's true, with you as her father.
: She's well-trained. I guarantee it. Misha and Max would make a great team! She can work in the shop, while he manages the business.
: I'm not worried about that... I just want them to be happy.
: Well, it's decided then.

Misha became Nina's apprentice, and Max took over managing the garage. Their business grew, and they started a franchise known as Spiffy Tube, which boasted a 10-minute ammo change that left the competition in the dust. Spiffy Tube grew rapidly, popping up across the landscape, until it was the subject of a news expose titled "Crooked Arms Dealers" which sent the company into financial ruin. Max once again resumed his role as a hunter, this time training a new generation the subtle art of garbage picking.

Did you know that if you hold down X, the credits go by really fast?

Next time: Vote on which mechanic to take!

Misha begins play with the title Novice Mechanic and the default skills Repair I (which repairs broken tank parts), Crash Landing (which makes high-flying enemies come down) and Cheer (which boosts Attack).
Kiriya begins play with the title Mechanic's Son and the default skills Quick Fix I (which repairs tank parts in battle) and Crash Landing.

Also, vote on what pattern you want to see on Sam.

Emails

Music
Track 07: Route 99

Track 08: Battle

Track 09: Hell's Keep (English)/Canon Eyes (Japanese)

Track 10: The Unforgotten (English)/The One Who Cannot Forget (Japanese)

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 30, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I don't know why, but the Dud series' explosion animation cracks me up. Just something about the way it just unceremoniously succumbs to gravity and detonates without fanfare.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Misha

How can you say no to basically CT's Luca?

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Misha

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Cheetah paint job, and Misha for our mechanic.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I noticed the option text changed between "Let's get hitched" and "Let's tie the knot". An interesting little touch! Misha will do as a mechanic.

Matthews
Feb 24, 2012
Kiriya

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
You have a duplicate image around 'be careful when you enter the world map'. Ninja edit: also around 'one piece of it'. Edit again: actually, you have a bunch of duplicate images. :sweatdrop:

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 30, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FredMSloniker posted:

You have a duplicate image around 'be careful when you enter the world map'. Ninja edit: also around 'one piece of it'.

Fixed!

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
Snow Cat paint and Misha as our mechanic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

All the duplicates should be fixed now, and I clearly need to get my mouse and keyboard checked because my copy-pastes were not going through properly.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Mors Rattus posted:

All the duplicates should be fixed now, and I clearly need to get my mouse and keyboard checked because my copy-pastes were not going through properly.

Sad to say, you still have dupes around 'I'd forgotten the first Assembly Shop was so close!' Looks like you caught the rest, though!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FredMSloniker posted:

Sad to say, you still have dupes around 'I'd forgotten the first Assembly Shop was so close!' Looks like you caught the rest, though!

God dammit.

Fixed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the forest is legit dangerous because you can't bring your tank in.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Misha

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Darthemed posted:

Cheetah paint job, and Misha for our mechanic.

This works.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Falconer posted:

Snow Cat paint and Misha as our mechanic.

Seconding this guy.

aidenyx
Jan 15, 2008

Gonna say Misha and Twilight.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I vote Kiriya and Pale Pink.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I'll go with Twilight camo, and I'll actually vote Kiriya because I've never used him.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Misha as our mechanic for as much as possible. Between her party-boosting skill and the ability to fix broken parts outside of battle (at least, I'm pretty sure Repair was outside of battle), I think she was the better all-around choice. Granted, it's been years since I played the game last.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

aidenyx posted:

Gonna say Misha and Twilight.

Seconded

Veris
Jul 5, 2007

Try decreasing the magic wand's tolerance. Here's the album

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That marriage was cute. I laughed out loud when she agreed. This game rules.

burnaboy
Jun 2, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Misha as our grease monkey and snowcat as our camo

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Misha as our mechanic and Cold Steel as our paint job, please.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
The bubble tea is actually "Ramune"(Lemonade), it tastes like cream soda and its entire gimmick is the marble.

Start with Misha,Cold Steel

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Desert & Misha
Too bad there's not a red color scheme; we could be going three times faster.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
This game :allears:

I'll join in with Misha and Cold Steel

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I almost lost the drinking minigame the first time I played it because I laughed my rear end off when my guy started chugging vinegar. After pounding milk and ramune, at that.

I vote Misha, even though she will always be Fio in my mind. Also, Snow Cat because we're feisty, rowrrr!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Misha & Desert

I like how Max kept his helmet for the wedding.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I have gone through and replaced all headshots with new, transparent versions. (Not the example ones - thanks for those! But I decided to use the ones I made, even though they are less good, because making 'em was a learning experience. Future headshots will hopefully be better, but these are the ones I am sticking with because replacing them through just four updates was a hassle.)

Igor has the same headshot as before because the green background that takes up the entire thing is his shoulder.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
You should show the extremely minor dialogue variation for proposing with Kiriya in the party. :colbert:

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
This game looks amazing, and makes me regret not having a PS2 at any point in the past.

Misha and Cold Steel would be the best combo, I think!

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Pink, Misha

This game is awesome and I love it to death. It's got some of the silliest and greatest things I've played in a long time.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Out of curiosity, just how many people can you just up and marry, and are there different scenes for them?

Man, this game :allears:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sadly, only two.

There totally are scenes for several other girls, just no endings.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
This is the best game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

your evil twin posted:

This is the best game.

I haven't played this game, but it seems like the plot is "You have a tank and its the post apocalypse, gently caress yeah" which is the best plot.

• Locked thread