Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Bosses in DS2 are only ever difficult because of unfinished mechanics (Lost Sinner) or fire damage. (Smelter Demon, Ancient Dragon)

The Smelter Demon. You are suppose to douse yourself in water before fighting it I think, but the dousing is weird, it's effect is very short, only effects your feet, and still even then only works half the time. There is also some dumb thing about how the boss takes more damage from the front which is never explained or suggested to the player and GOES AGAINST EVERY OTHER WAY THE PLAYERS FIGHT A BOSS IN WHOLE SERIES EVER.

Lost Sinner. She is obviously suppose to be jumping around in the dark as the pre boss oil lamps and intro suggest, but the lighting effects took a massive downgrade before release, so they tuned up her damage and speed. It's just that they went a little overboard with it.

Ancient Dragon. Just raw fire damage again, this time over a huge area. Fire does too much damage in this game, ask anyone whos even been hit with Flame Swathe. You can one shot some bosses with Chaos Storm, it's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Smelter Demon isn't hard because of fire damage.

He is hard because he is fast and hits really hard. Which fire isn't necessarily needed for.

The Ancient Dragon is a super boss, he is suppose to wreck you health wise. His attacks are just harder to dodge than the King and even Darklurker.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Let's agree that if all 3 Souls games were made in one HD definitive edition package for the ps4, that would be the complete and best game.

Sure, but replace PS4 with PC :getin:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You said the dwarves in Pharros drop titanite slabs? Where are these dwarves? I went through Pharros and just saw elephant men, and the gyrm warrior folks which are pretty big dudes, not dwarves.

Also, bellbro? Do I get slabs for successfully killing folks or just for joining or do I need to level up?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Jastiger posted:

You said the dwarves in Pharros drop titanite slabs? Where are these dwarves? I went through Pharros and just saw elephant men, and the gyrm warrior folks which are pretty big dudes, not dwarves.

Also, bellbro? Do I get slabs for successfully killing folks or just for joining or do I need to level up?

You get a slab for hitting level 2 I think.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Gyrm warriors are the dwarves, but I think you might have better luck farming the statues in Drangleic Castle.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Making my way through Alida's Keep, and I came across a petrified ogre/cyclops, who I promptly dispatched, but I was killed just as the enemy went down. When I went back, the enemy was gone and there was no loot to be found. I missed out on a neat mask, right? Any way to get it back?

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Monomythian posted:

Bosses in DS2 are only ever difficult because of unfinished mechanics (Lost Sinner) or fire damage. (Smelter Demon, Ancient Dragon)

There is also some dumb thing about how the boss takes more damage from the front which is never explained or suggested to the player and GOES AGAINST EVERY OTHER WAY THE PLAYERS FIGHT A BOSS IN WHOLE SERIES EVER.

It was the same in DS1 with Quelaag though, I'm pretty sure. It's just a risk/reward thing. It's the same with how you can barely do any damage to Smelter when he's charging up.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Moskau posted:

Well.. one thing that really rustled my jimmies about the level design was that it got really gamey, with all these knee-high obstacles blocking a path, or one-way passages created by knee-high drop. I don't even mean fences or anything, I mean places where the floor is just a little bit higher. I don't think DeS or DaS were so egregious with this. They're not natural obstacles and the height just makes them meta as hell.

Ugh this is really what annoyed me today. I wandered through the Shaded Woods, and everywhere is blocked by statues with glaring gaps even my armour-plated lunatic, along with his fuckoff shield and fencepost of a sword could fit through. One of them literally next to it, has a pair of shin-high blocks arranged to form stairs, which naturally, doesn't let you walk around. :suicide:

I certainly agree with certain bosses being over or under tuned though, either due to stats or just crummy positioning. Ruin Sentinels are only a pain in the rear end because as soon as you enter the fog door you're dropped on a tiny platform next to a boss who can kill you in two hits, one of which it's likely to get for free while you drop to the floor. Even for a game that prides itself on kicking the player's rear end, it's a lovely way to start a fight.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I ran the entire gauntlet of Drangleic Castle (even found a hidden bonfire), killed Vendric, ran it again. I cannot find the way to get to the person before the first boss fog. I can see the stairs to the left but there's a 2 foot chasm between me and the room and I see no way to actually get to the stairs. I also found a huge greenish door that won't open.

What am I missing?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Spergminer posted:

I ran the entire gauntlet of Drangleic Castle (even found a hidden bonfire), killed Vendric, ran it again. I cannot find the way to get to the person before the first boss fog. I can see the stairs to the left but there's a 2 foot chasm between me and the room and I see no way to actually get to the stairs. I also found a huge greenish door that won't open.

What am I missing?

Nothing. You're not missing anything ( large green door by the bonfire? Do you have the ring? Equip it) you also can't get to that person, only talk to her from afar.

Start finding those similar gates. There's one near the forked road in shaded woods.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So what are these "megamules" I keep hearing about? I understand from context that they're cheaters of some stripe, but I'm not clear how or in what way.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

So, bare fist PvP. With the Vanquisher's Seal, it's really actually quite good. You don't have the stunlock capabilities that the cestus does, but your attacks hit like a loving truck on anything not sporting full Havel/Smelter +5. You can get some stunlock, but most people can roll out after 3 or 4 hits. By then usually over half their health is gone. Hardest things to deal with are wide, sweeping attacks because it's loving hard to roll into those for an opener and not get staggered, twinblade twirlers, and actual cestus users, because their stun is better.

For wide swing weapons, if you time it right, you can roll into their running attack, roll immediately after through their follow up, usually a sweeping attack, and land behind them. No matter what, your backstabs will do insane damage, because it's pure physical and apparently fists have a decent crit modifier.

My current setup is: Pyromancy Flame +10 with Great Combustion and Sacred Chime with Great Heal, sometimes switching to Great Magic Barrier instead of Pyromancy. Armor is Shadow Mask, Llewellyn's Armor, Bone King Skirt, and Shadow Gauntlets. Rings are Vanquisher's Seal, Ring of Blades +2, Crest of Blood, and Ring of Thorns +1. A lot of people will recommend Engraved Gauntlets, but the bleed damage from Shadow Gauntlets + Crest of Blood is no joke, and it works with your bare fists. Plus, with your armor being so light, you don't have to worry about the Cloranthy Ring, since you regenerate stamina so quickly.

A Great Combustion out of a backstab on heavier targets is usually going to hit for a lot of damage, because the hit detection on that spell is kind of weird. I do want to try Forbidden Sun at some point, but I haven't gotten around to doing Navlaan's stuff.

I'm not saying this is the best setup, but it's the most fun I've had. And since everything in PvP is loving broken at the moment, that's all that matters.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Nothing. You're not missing anything ( large green door by the bonfire? Do you have the ring? Equip it) you also can't get to that person, only talk to her from afar.

Start finding those similar gates. There's one near the forked road in shaded woods.

Not the Kings door. There's a huge greenish oxidized door right after you leave the huge hall with the two Elephunks and the 4 archers who's going all out Anor Londo on you. It's right before you enter the tiny room with three more archers on top.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Lotish posted:

So what are these "megamules" I keep hearing about? I understand from context that they're cheaters of some stripe, but I'm not clear how or in what way.

They are just savestates with maxed out items, souls, weapons etc. Nothing you can't do with enough playtime.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lotish posted:

A character that can start at the beginning of the game with every weapon, spells and armor maxed out and 99 items.

They also have no soul memory and some of them have maxed souls.

Hilariously, due to already having souls and no soul memory, they can be invaded by level 49 bell keepers but they have max stats and max weapons so bell keepers get slaughtered.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Spergminer posted:

Not the Kings door. There's a huge greenish oxidized door right after you leave the huge hall with the two Elephunks and the 4 archers who's going all out Anor Londo on you. It's right before you enter the tiny room with three more archers on top.

Oh that? No. Checked the guide, it doesn't go anywhere.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ineffiable posted:

A character that can start at the beginning of the game with every weapon, spells and armor maxed out and 99 items.

They also have no soul memory and some of them have maxed souls.

Hilariously, due to already having souls and no soul memory, they can be invaded by level 49 bell keepers but they have max stats and max weapons so bell keepers get slaughtered.

Not gonna lie that sounds kinda useful for testing out different pvp builds.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FauxGateau posted:

Not gonna lie that sounds kinda useful for testing out different pvp builds.

The general justification and reasoning for doing it is so that players can PVP to their hearts content, with the build they want, without having to do single player if they dislike that part of the game. I don't disagree with that approach, but it's less innocent to me when you're using a character who is unnaturally geared to the gills on unsuspecting players who are just playing they way they like to play.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I...uh...beat the game I guess? Soul level 130-ish. I got bored doing the giant souls stuff and checked out the big locked door in the castle basement. The last boss was embarrassing. She just...slowly shoots a laser at you and stands there while you pound her with lightning bolts.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I...uh...beat the game I guess? Soul level 130-ish. I got bored doing the giant souls stuff and checked out the big locked door in the castle basement. The last boss was embarrassing. She just...slowly shoots a laser at you and stands there while you pound her with lightning bolts.

The fight is at least a little more interesting with a melee character because there are curse orb things scattered around the arena so you have to be careful with your distance to those. She still dies pretty quick though. Apparently you're actually supposed to fight Throne Watcher/Defender and then her one after the other but I think most people end up fighting those guys early.

You should try a melee character or something if you decide to replay the game though, magic makes a lot of boss fights super boring. (The biggest one being Darklurker. That fight is really fun and challenging melee but it lasts like 15 seconds with magic)

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think this is, or will be, an unpopular opinion. Many parts of this game are straight up underwhelming.

But it's also hard to criticize it for not living up to the higher points of Dark Souls when it's still a really great game. For my money it's probably more consistent than DS was, even if I don't feel as strongly about it overall - Shrine of Amana is the worst area, but even that's not half as annoying as Izalith, and there isn't any boss that's nearly as lovely as Bed of Chaos.

I think the main game, as if you were just "play" is a bit underwhelming and easier then DS1. BUT, if you use all the features and neat areas/items, etc.. that they put in, it's much better.

If you think the main game is easy, try the Champions out. Nothing like breaking all your poo poo in the first area of FoFG and then getting invaded.

I really enjoy the levels too. I think they are a bit better constructed. DS1 felt like a lot of them were just thrown together to confuse you for no good reason. This one, the levels are laid out in a manner that would be consistent with the area. But by no means does it make it easier. I also like that parrying and backstabbing are 1) not guaranteed, and 2) execute different/longer depending on the weapon you're using.

On that note, does anyone know if bosses can be parried, like in DS1?

EDIT: Also remember that the creators had no interest in doing this game. The community as a whole convinced them. I don't know about you, but when I have no interest in something, I generally don't go balls to the wall about it. That's just human nature. Secondly, so much of the "good" poo poo was scrapped. The visions, etc... I'm really hoping that they're working on implementing these things with a later patch; but I know deep down, probably not.

Spiv fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 30, 2014

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

The fight is at least a little more interesting with a melee character because there are curse orb things scattered around the arena so you have to be careful with your distance to those. She still dies pretty quick though. Apparently you're actually supposed to fight Throne Watcher/Defender and then her one after the other but I think most people end up fighting those guys early.

Huh, just curious, where do you fight them early? I definitely fought them right before Nashandra, so just curious.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Flumpus posted:

Huh, just curious, where do you fight them early? I definitely fought them right before Nashandra, so just curious.

You can go there as soon as you get the King's Ring. I guess Nashandra only turns up after killing the Giant Lord though.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Flumpus posted:

You can fight them immediately after getting the King's Ring. Without the Giant's Kinship, you can't fight Nashandra right afterwards.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Ah, ok, that makes sense...

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Aurain posted:

The general justification and reasoning for doing it is so that players can PVP to their hearts content, with the build they want, without having to do single player if they dislike that part of the game. I don't disagree with that approach, but it's less innocent to me when you're using a character who is unnaturally geared to the gills on unsuspecting players who are just playing they way they like to play.

There are seriously people that buy Dark Souls just for PvP, like its a call of duty game?:psyduck:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

There are seriously people that buy Dark Souls just for PvP, like its a call of duty game?:psyduck:

I would dearly love to see someone play Dark Souls as though it were Call of Duty.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ineffiable posted:

Let's agree that if all 3 Souls games were made in one HD definitive edition package for the ps4, that would be the complete and best game.

Yeah if they completely rebalanced the combat from DeSouls removed all of the terrible grinding for stones, made the parry/riposte system less broken and stupid, removed all the kaizo mario one shot kill traps, removed that stupid loving prison level and in general took off the trying far too hard "Heavy Metal magazine covers from the 90s" art direction, sure

God I hate Demons' Souls

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Monomythian posted:

Lost Sinner. She is obviously suppose to be jumping around in the dark as the pre boss oil lamps and intro suggest, but the lighting effects took a massive downgrade before release, so they tuned up her damage and speed. It's just that they went a little overboard with it.

I am not sure what you mean by "lighting effects" and how they supposedly affect this fight. You don't want to do this fight in the dark because it's like playing blind...
Once you light the oil slicks the arena has a completely different appearance, and you can target from further than 10 feet away again.

(Are we still spoiling enemy mechanics or only lore?)

Occupation posted:

removed that stupid loving prison level

:stare:

Occupation posted:

God I hate Demons' Souls

Oh.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Oxxidation posted:

I would dearly love to see someone play Dark Souls as though it were Call of Duty.

Go watch somebody clear shrine of anime for the first time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

Go watch somebody clear shrine of anime for the first time.

I don't see anyone running suicidally forward with their knife out and only killing people who look foreign.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation posted:

I don't see anyone running suicidally forward with their knife out and only killing people who look foreign.

Isn't that basically what the jumpers do

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Oxxidation posted:

That's exactly what I did.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
After getting my last great soul I looked back and realized just how little of this game I really liked up to this point. The bosses so far are crap, PVP is skewed towards dueling rather than invasions, the writing isn't as good, the level design doesn't feel clever or even cohesive, and little things all over the place just don't feel well programmed (and I don't mean glitches so much as hitboxes and the camera). It's not a bad game but I really just didn't get even a fraction of what I got out of the first two games from it.

So I decided to look at the credits. We all know Miyazaki is no longer directing, but what else has changed? Turns out almost the entire team has:

Dark Souls 2 credits
Dark Souls credits
Demon's Souls credits

It really does explain a lot.

Edit: To add some :tinfoil: to this, since neither Miyazaki nor a ton of programmers and designers from Dark Souls were working on this, could Namco Bandai have put them on some other project? It was a "company decision" to remove him from the director's spot, after all. Could just be that a lot of the staff left the company or something, but the alternative is fun to wonder about.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 30, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
:allears: Made someone hilariously mad in Drangleic Castle since I managed to get one of the stone knights to kill him after I healed with a miracle. He kept messaging me over and over asking for a 1v1, calling me a noob, etc. To be fair I cheesed him pretty hard with Wrath of the Gods but as a black phantom I am going to be the biggest dick possible and use every bit of the environment to win. gently caress your honor, gently caress your bows, I'm gonna lightning your face off or blow you away with an AoE that hits for 2k damage.

Edit: So how long till this game gets the same treatment as Bioshock Infinite did where the praise fades and suddenly everyone rubber bands around to talking about how this is literally the worst thing to ever happen to videogames?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tracula posted:

:allears: Made someone hilariously mad in Drangleic Castle since I managed to get one of the stone knights to kill him after I healed with a miracle. He kept messaging me over and over asking for a 1v1, calling me a noob, etc. To be fair I cheesed him pretty hard with Wrath of the Gods but as a black phantom I am going to be the biggest dick possible and use every bit of the environment to win. gently caress your honor, gently caress your bows, I'm gonna lightning your face off or blow you away with an AoE that hits for 2k damage.

Edit: So how long till this game gets the same treatment as Bioshock Infinite did where the praise fades and suddenly everyone rubber bands around to talking about how this is literally the worst thing to ever happen to videogames?

Dark Souls 2 doesn't have a suffocating sense of self-importance, which is the magic ingredient Infinite and ME3 had to gin up maximum outrage. I think we'll get a lot of grumbling about how it doesn't stack up to the last game in many ways (which I agree with), but I doubt the torches will come out.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Oxxidation posted:

but I doubt the torches will come out.

:smug:

I wish torches weren't limited according to how many times that hollow in Huntsman's Copse is feeling generous, I would use them everywhere. I love how they make everything look.

I did the Gutter without a torch on my second playthrough though and it was quite something. It might be the only area where I don't recommend a torch, but then you might go mad from not being able to light up those little sconces.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 30, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Shindragon posted:

No such thing has overleved/underleveled. This ain't no jrpg. :colbert:
I joined a game of a guy this morning who was gobstruck (he was in the UK) that I was SL 1 and in Iron Keep.

He then mentioned in passing that he hadn't upgraded a single weapon yet, and was walking around with 400,000 souls.

Then I with my +7 club and he with his Fire Longsword went off and killed Mytha like it weren't no thing.

Jolly co-operation! :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just battled my way through to the Undead Purgatory through those tall guys who attack fast with hard hitting weapons, only to be greeted by that Black Phantom with a huge sword who murdered the hell out of me.

I think I'll leave that place alone for a while.
That's actually the first time with DaS II that's given me the vibes I got from playing Demon's for the first time way back when it came out. :allears:

• Locked thread