Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
God, the Bevelle Cloister of Trials is by far the hardest part of FFX- and that includes Yunalesca and Seymour Flux. I forgot how much I hate this place even though I've been dreading it for the duration my playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Jesus. It's pretty much the same with Vienna, too.

Aurain posted:

The ending is definitely made with the intent that she means Serah, but Toriyama totally made it so that he can pretend she's talking to him in his dreams.

My favourite meta-thinking thing about the ending is that if Lightning and Serah have been split up and now have to find each other on not-earth, does that mean Sazh and Dajh got split up too? Because I'm pretty sure Dajh couldn't find Sazh and there's a good chance that he might just die before he finds him or anyone else.

I'm pretty sure they all died and were reborn on the new planet, Possibly excluding Lightning herself. I'm not completely, 100% sure though since the game handles death / souls in a very confusing manner. Like how Lightning can harvest souls while the hosts are still alive with no ill effects even though she's supposed to be an "angel of death", collector of souls or whatever, and how Fang and Vanille collapse after their souls leave them, and then wake up like nothing happened five seconds later :psyduck:

In any case, the second-to-last CG scene with the crew floating around in space, going YOU CAN'T DEFEAT US BECAUSE FRIENDSHIP and beating God to a pulp was pure JRPG cheeze of the highest caliber and was enough for me to forgive S-E for FF13-2.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 30, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Mog posted:

God, the Bevelle Cloister of Trials is by far the hardest part of FFX- and that includes Yunalesca and Seymour Flux. I forgot how much I hate this place even though I've been dreading it for the duration my playthrough.

How is it hard? You literally can't screw it up, just keep riding the train panel and collecting spheres, use the one (1) Glyph Sphere in the obvious place and then use the one (1) Destruction Sphere in the obvious place, and you're done. I'd say it's actually the easiest because it's so linear and obvious. Macalania is the only one I thought was kind of hard to figure out.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

precision posted:

How is it hard? You literally can't screw it up, just keep riding the train panel and collecting spheres, use the one (1) Glyph Sphere in the obvious place and then use the one (1) Destruction Sphere in the obvious place, and you're done. I'd say it's actually the easiest because it's so linear and obvious. Macalania is the only one I thought was kind of hard to figure out.

Really? I thought the Macalania was really easy. I think I hate the Bevelle one because its sort of unclear and vague and easy to get lost/mess up in.

e: I just completed it now and I think you may be right. Huh. The last time I played this game, it was 2003 and I was about 14, so perhaps that contributed to my being ridiculously confused. The stupid arrows are half the trouble, though.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 30, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

As has been said in the thread before: it isn't a bad ending until you take it into context with Motomu Toriyama, at which point you realize it's the nintendo equivalent of waifu pillow wish fulfillment.

I think Toriyama is a complete creepy shithead but it's a real stretch to read that from the ending. Especially because Toriyama ain't exactly living in France. There's no context for it being him, not even in "Toriyama is a creeper" ways. It is effectively people taking a joke and treating it as canon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I kinda don't like the Overlimit mechanic. It takes waaay too long to build up and it doesn't do that much damage, at least by this point in the game. Tidus's Spiral Cut barely does a bit above damage over his regular attack, even when doing the QTE right. Also, how/when do I learn more overlimits?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Each character learns new Overlimits in different ways. Tidus gets his by using them a bunch, I think. Auron gets more by gaining Jecht Sphere throughout the game. Yuna, Lulu and Rikku only have their one, and Wakka gets his from playing Blitzball. Kihmarhi's is of course the Blue Magic from different enemies.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I like XIII-2 because I have a hard-on for time travel bullshit.

Also, being able to go back after you beat the game and kill "immortal" bosses like Caius to break the plot is really awesome.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Momomo posted:

Each character learns new Overlimits in different ways. Tidus gets his by using them a bunch, I think. Auron gets more by gaining Jecht Sphere throughout the game. Yuna, Lulu and Rikku only have their one, and Wakka gets his from playing Blitzball. Kihmarhi's is of course the Blue Magic from different enemies.

Dammit I like Wakka but I hate the fact that he'll lag so far behind everyone because I loving hated blitzball and never want to do it again :(

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
You don't really need to worry, Overdrives aren't that important. If you really want Wakka to be as strong as he can be though, you can check the Blitzball prizes and see if Attack Reels is on the list for winning. As far as I know, you only need to do one tournament to get it, the prizes are just random.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

precision posted:

Those loving glyphs always read my button input at the wrong time. :argh:

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Yep. Save the game. Check prizes: if what you want isn't there, hard reset the game and try again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Overdrives/Limit Breaks in FFX are mostly useless. Auron's second one (the one that instakills any non-boss by literally smacking it out of the park like a baseball) is fun and hilarious to use on HP-sink giant enemies that you don't feel like fighting, Wakka's will hit several enemies if you do it right, Lulu's is impossible to get more than 8 on (though that still does about 3x her normal damage, spread out over random targets).

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Wakka's Attack Reels is hilariously overpowered and you can get it very early in the game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
And with 255 Luck (hah!), Blitz Ace does pretty respectable damage, too. Its multiplier with no crit is pretty bad, though.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

NeoNaoNeo posted:

Wakka's Attack Reels is hilariously overpowered and you can get it very early in the game

It is literally the only way to kill Penance in under an hour.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Excels posted:

I mean Attack Reels is good and all, but lets not outright lie. Hyper Might G and Ultra NulAll, followed by cycles of 1 grenade and then Quick Hit spams while using BHPL+Regen armors beats Penance in < 35 minutes.

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 30, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

precision posted:

Lulu's is impossible to get more than 8 on

It goes up to 16, dude.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dragonatrix posted:

It goes up to 16, dude.
I don't know what kind of heavy machinery you designed to spin the control stick fast enough to get sixteen casts of anything stronger than the first-level spells, but you're gonna have to hook me up with the schematics.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The White Dragon posted:

I don't know what kind of heavy machinery you designed to spin the control stick fast enough to get sixteen casts of anything stronger than the first-level spells, but you're gonna have to hook me up with the schematics.

A Childhood of Mario Party 1 :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dragonatrix posted:

It goes up to 16, dude.

Japanese people are crazy.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The White Dragon posted:

It gets easier with a higher magic score I believe. I routinely hack out 10-11 by the time I hit Zanarkand with a bit of grinding.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Its easier the higher your magic, and harder the higher tier magic you're trying to cast. Good luck getting 16 rotations when you use Ultima.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Another thing I forgot: how easy this game gets when you have enough black magic spheres to teach Yuna the -aga spells. She pretty much becomes an unstoppable badass once you do that and Haste her at the start of every battle.

Also, don't crucify me, but if FFX were a movie, Wakka would be played by Michael Raymond-James (Rene from True Blood) in full-on Cajan accent.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 31, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Mog posted:

Another thing I forgot: how easy this game gets when you have enough black magic spheres to teach Yuna the -aga spells. She pretty much becomes an unstoppable badass once you do that and Haste her at the start of every battle.

Also the fact that Rikku has a very reasonable chance of getting the -aga spells before Lulu, so you have three -aga casters and Auron. The rest of the party is not really necessary.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I was running Wakka up Rikku's grid to have fun with the Expert grid, and he got Flare long before anyone was ever close. Now Yuna and Lulu have Flare and Yuna doesn't even have Curaga yet. :v:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
I just played 7 league blitzball games then while trying to figure out how to forfeit, must have hit some combination of buttons and done a soft reset without saving. :suicide:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Excels posted:

Yojimbo.

Lu Cloud
Mar 10, 2014
In Final Fantasy X-X2 HD Edition, I still find it hard to play blitzball successfully. Even going over the game explanations I still don't get it. I want to have fun with it but I suppose that is just one part of it I won't be able to enjoy. This is my first actual play-through since I was much younger and even back then I never made it as far as I am now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lu Cloud posted:

In Final Fantasy X-X2 HD Edition, I still find it hard to play blitzball successfully. Even going over the game explanations I still don't get it. I want to have fun with it but I suppose that is just one part of it I won't be able to enjoy. This is my first actual play-through since I was much younger and even back then I never made it as far as I am now.

It may as well be Calvinball for how much sense it makes (at least, when I tried actually playing it 12 years ago). It's also slooooooooow. And I say that as someone who can watch a Man U 0-0 match and love it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lu Cloud posted:

Basically; your team in the first match is hot garbage compressed into a cube of filth and if Spira was a world with more people the Besaid Auroachs would be only marginally better than your local pick up team.

If you got Jecht Shot from the boat, congratulations, you can now defeat most other teams once Tidus gets some levels under his belt. I'd, personally, hold off on Blitzball until you get the airship so you can spend money on better players. In fact, your pressing priority is to make sure to fire just about everyone on your squad especially your goalie and hire other teams much, much better players.

As for all those stats ignore them. All that matters is that a) Tidus and Jecht Shot is basically a free goal anywhere near the net and b) if you get the ball and hang out behind your goal the AI freaks out and does nothing letting you win by pure time out.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

If you got Jecht Shot from the boat, congratulations, you can now defeat most other teams once Tidus gets some levels under his belt. I'd, personally, hold off on Blitzball until you get the airship so you can spend money on better players. In fact, your pressing priority is to make sure to fire just about everyone on your squad especially your goalie and hire other teams much, much better players.

There's a solid free agent goalie in Guadosalam (Yuma Guado) who can hold you until you can get that glue-handed bastard Nimrook on your team. If you pick up Ropp at Rin's on the Mi'hen Highroad he will hold down your defensive line. One of the dudes outside the Blitzball stadium in Luca is good too (Biggs? Wedge? One of them, get them both)

You don't have to wait until the airship, as great as Brother is. You can get a pretty solid team relatively early on, though the Psyches will always give you trouble so long as they have Nimrook. The fucker.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

:psypop:

Really? REALLY?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

:psypop:

Really? REALLY?

Nothing is immune to Zanmato.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

Nothing is immune to Zanmato.

Except for Braska's Final Aeon, Yunalesca, and Sin.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Systematic System posted:

Except for Braska's Final Aeon, Yunalesca, and Sin.

Actually Braska's Final Aeon and Yunalesca are both vulnerable to it, they just move to the next stage of the fight and if it's the last part of the fight then they're just as vulnerable as anyone else in the game save Overdrive Sin.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So I am currently in the position of having to explain to someone how FF8's story is totally bonkers. I recall earlier in this thread reading a really long post detailing how FF8 happened because three square employees were locked in a room for 2 weeks to come up with all the ideas for the game and how there was a gas leak in that room (facetiously). I don't suppose anyone has that post saved or can find it for me? with this thread being hundreds of pages long and how long ago that post was made there's no way I will be able to find it on my own.

EDIT: I wouldn't think anyone else would be able to find it if I can't, except when I read that post it was being quoted by someone else (it sounded like the post had been made a while back too) so I assume that means SOMEONE has it saved or something

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 31, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ninjewtsu posted:

So I am currently in the position of having to explain to someone how FF8's story is totally bonkers. I recall earlier in this thread reading a really long post detailing how FF8 happened because three square employees were locked in a room for 2 weeks to come up with all the ideas for the game and how there was a gas leak in that room (facetiously). I don't suppose anyone has that post saved or can find it for me? with this thread being hundreds of pages long and how long ago that post was made there's no way I will be able to find it on my own.

Oh, that's way older than this thread. I think it might've originated here: http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff08

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh, that's way older than this thread. I think it might've originated here: http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff08

This is it! Thanks! When I had read it, it was being quoted without a source/no one had mentioned the original site so I had just assumed it came from the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Auron's final Overdrive is probably the only way to get multiple max damage hits against Penance (since it hits twice in the Int version) since he and all Dark Aeons have such high defense that any of the other multihit Overdrives or attacks like Attack Reels, Oblivion and Passado struggle to do 5-digit damage. While it might not matter all that much since you'll be spamming Quick Hit for most of the time, it's useful for getting rid of the arms slightly quicker.