Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Speaking of Windham Earle seeming like a 60's Batman villain, there's a scene in season 2 of Josie on the phone, and there's this sideways camera angle that's straight out of a 60's Batman episode. It's completely out of place and never happens again in the series. I can't remember the exact scene off-hand, but it's really stark. Anyone remember which scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Kawalimus posted:

Show Spoilers through the end. But I didn't know you needed these on pg 19 of a show thread but I don't know these things.

Is there any significance to Mike and Bobby the highschoolers having the same names as Mike and Bob the spirit adversaries or whatever they are?

Well, it's funny cause they get put on the trail of the wrong dudes because they have the same names as the right dudes. That never happens in TV shows, you know?

But I also think Bobby-- and Mike in the first season, probably not the second-- is kind of like Bob on a mundane scale. The selfishness, deceit, violence, the ultimate goal of getting ahead in every situation or interaction, that you see in Bobby, is taken to the ultimate extreme in Bob. Or it's what Bob embodies, I guess. I'm grasping at straws a lil here but I do think one of the great themes of the show is how the profound spiritual evil of Bob is also the underlying logic of power and success, which are also the two things that Bobby most wants. Ben Horne's whole character and the identity of Bob's host push that conclusion real hard I think, and Bobby treating Ben as a role model is part of that.

Man I don't really know what to spoiler tag here, since so much of it is revealed in the first couple episodes but makes no sense until you understand the context later. Which also is cool to me.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
ALSO, while I don't like Earle much at all, the scene where he "sneaks up" on someone by walking up to them in broad daylight wearing the world's worst-crafted horse costume almost completely redeems him

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

swamp waste posted:

Well, it's funny cause they get put on the trail of the wrong dudes because they have the same names as the right dudes. That never happens in TV shows, you know?
They didn't really, though, right? When Cooper first says the names, the Sheriff considers Mike and Bobby, but Cooper immediately says "No, different Mike, different Bob." Maybe it was just to briefly mess with audience and make you think you figured it out until Cooper sets you straight. Mike and Bobby were locked up for a bit, but it was before Cooper's dream.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lycus posted:

They didn't really, though, right? When Cooper first says the names, the Sheriff considers Mike and Bobby, but Cooper immediately says "No, different Mike, different Bob." Maybe it was just to briefly mess with audience and make you think you figured it out until Cooper sets you straight. Mike and Bobby were locked up for a bit, but it was before Cooper's dream.

Though interestingly while they're locked up for a bit they bark and screech at James in the other cell. Which is an interesting parallel to Bob and Mike's vicious feral natures

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
So I just started catching up with this on Netflix. I had unfortunately, already spoiled it for myself on a late night wikipedia fest years ago but the execution is much better than I had anticipated.

That said it seems to me they heavily imply that Laura has been possessed by BOB. Even if you overlook the cocaine, whoring, and sleeping with Jacque Renault you still have James telling Cooper that Laura asked him in the woods one night if he'd like to "meet bob and play with fire" as well as looking extremely demonic when they show the other girls flashback of Laura's murder when she wakes up in the hospital at the end of S2:E1.

Googling it there is no mention of it happening to her, only to Leland being her killer.

Just wondering if anyone else got that impression or if I should just shut up and finish the series (which I will anyways).

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Finish the series and Fire Walk With Me, the film, and that question, among others, will be answered.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Yeah but it will only end up bringing up more crazier questions that will never be answerable.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah but it will only end up bringing up more crazier questions that will never be answerable.

Which makes it all the better.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
David Lynch returns to Twin Peaks

Came someone better in the know please debunk this bullshit for me so I can get on with my life?

Thanks in advance.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Sgt. Politeness posted:

David Lynch returns to Twin Peaks

Came someone better in the know please debunk this bullshit for me so I can get on with my life?

Thanks in advance.
‘Twin Peaks’ co-creator: ‘No plans to revive show’

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It seems like every several months, there's a fresh new "Twin Peaks is coming back" rumor.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
The casting call is genuine, at least. I was at an interview panel hosted by Esmé Bianco (Ros from Game of Thrones) and when one of the audience members asked her if there was a director she'd like to work with, she referred to the news that David Lynch coming back to Twin Peaks. That was on Sunday 1/5 and she does fit the casting description. She seemed to move on from that pretty quickly when she realized the audience hadn't heard about it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Supposedly they're about to announce the blu-ray set and that might tie into it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Maybe we'll just get a random scene at the RR Diner, 20 years later. No bearing on any storylines. That'd be great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd like if he was shooting a new promo but the way that casting call is written is so sleazy that it doesn't feel like him. He can be kinda creepy but not like that.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Bown posted:

I'd like if he was shooting a new promo but the way that casting call is written is so sleazy that it doesn't feel like him. He can be kinda creepy but not like that.

That lends credence to the theory that its something done just for the advertising of the Blu-Ray collection.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

...! posted:

Supposedly they're about to announce the blu-ray set and that might tie into it.

That's what the second post on there was speculating but I'd never heard of that kinda thing before. Is it common practice to film new material for blu-rays?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

That's what the second post on there was speculating but I'd never heard of that kinda thing before. Is it common practice to film new material for blu-rays?

Fairly common for the more popular catalog titles.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just got my DVD boxset back two years after lending it to a friend. However I might hold off rewatching it for the Blu-rays. Maybe they'll offer a "None of that lovely James/Rich lady bullshit" cut.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

escape artist posted:

Finish the series and Fire Walk With Me, the film, and that question, among others, will be answered.

Could you expand on this? I haven't seen the movie in years, but I do remember the part where James talked about Laura saying all of that the night she was murdered.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

TheBizzness posted:

So I just started catching up with this on Netflix. I had unfortunately, already spoiled it for myself on a late night wikipedia fest years ago but the execution is much better than I had anticipated.

That said it seems to me they heavily imply that Laura has been possessed by BOB. Even if you overlook the cocaine, whoring, and sleeping with Jacque Renault you still have James telling Cooper that Laura asked him in the woods one night if he'd like to "meet bob and play with fire" as well as looking extremely demonic when they show the other girls flashback of Laura's murder when she wakes up in the hospital at the end of S2:E1.

Googling it there is no mention of it happening to her, only to Leland being her killer.

Just wondering if anyone else got that impression or if I should just shut up and finish the series (which I will anyways).

Pretty sure the drugs et al were an attempt to "run away" or avoid BOB, either in a literal sense or (bigger spoiler for things only hinted at in the series and more explicitly stated in the movie)to deal with the sexual abuse at the hands of her BOB-father. Laura was never possessed by Bob, just traumatized by the sexual and psychological abuse. The show in general is an extended metaphor for sexual abuse, I wouldn't try to find a logical throughline for BOB possession because in typical Lynch fashion, sometimes there isn't a logical path. I mean, there was something going on with Laura -- when Donna puts on her sweater or something (forget precisely what) at the club in FWWM, Laura freaks out ... and then when Donna later wears Laura's sunglasses, she kind of "acts" like Laura, being more of a "bad girl" (albeit a bad girl in the mode of the Pink Ladies from Grease)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

regulargonzalez posted:

Pretty sure the drugs et al were an attempt to "run away" or avoid BOB, either in a literal sense or (bigger spoiler for things only hinted at in the series and more explicitly stated in the movie)to deal with the sexual abuse at the hands of her BOB-father. Laura was never possessed by Bob, just traumatized by the sexual and psychological abuse. The show in general is an extended metaphor for sexual abuse, I wouldn't try to find a logical throughline for BOB possession because in typical Lynch fashion, sometimes there isn't a logical path. I mean, there was something going on with Laura -- when Donna puts on her sweater or something (forget precisely what) at the club in FWWM, Laura freaks out ... and then when Donna later wears Laura's sunglasses, she kind of "acts" like Laura, being more of a "bad girl" (albeit a bad girl in the mode of the Pink Ladies from Grease)
^^This

And Laura died when she refused to let Bob take possession of her. He wanted her pain and sorrow-- the garmonbozia-- of which Laura had a great deal. She refused, and then in the end, doesn't the one-armed man slip her the ring that prevents possession? So Bob (as Leland) kills her out of frustration.

As for what Bob is, I don't think there's a definitive answer. He is a demon, who posses owls when he is not possessing people to cause and collect pain and sorrow. I always think about that scene with Harry, Cooper, Briggs, and Albert after Bob kills Leland. They wonder what Bob is? Is Leland just crazy? Is he really a demon? Is he on the loose now that he has released himself from Leland? Is he the embodiment of "the evil that men do"? Then Briggs quotes Hamlet -- "there's more to heaven and earth than is dreamt of in our philosophy", which leads me to believe that we are not supposed to have a definitive answer. I think the questions are more important than the answer.

Also, Ray Wise dropped a little spoiler. They did film new stuff for the Blu-Ray release. "Something special" or "something big" that "[he's] probably not supposed to talk about."

edit:

Here's the link
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/01/ray-wise-seemingly-confirms-new-twin-peaks-footage-shot-by-david-lynch/

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 12, 2014

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
I'll see you again in 25 years.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
I just rewatched Fire Walk With Me for the first time in years, and had almost forgotten how dark and disturbing it is. I still absolutely love it though, and feel like I'm still able to decipher most of it. The monkey is kind of a wild-card though, but I think it had something to do with Bowie's character?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Two Worlds posted:

piss on the Breakfast Club this is what matters

Only registered members can see post attachments!

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Two Worlds posted:

I'm tempted to see what the 5-hour series cut they're playing at the Paley center looks like, although I think I can guess what gets cut.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ElectricWizard posted:

I just rewatched Fire Walk With Me for the first time in years, and had almost forgotten how dark and disturbing it is. I still absolutely love it though, and feel like I'm still able to decipher most of it. The monkey is kind of a wild-card though, but I think it had something to do with Bowie's character?

The thing about deciphering it is the fact that a shitload was cut, so who knows if its something that was answered in a cut scene. I really hope the blu-ray has the movie, cut scenes, and whatever they just filmed.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

ElwoodCuse posted:

According to this Twin Peaks nerd site, we're about five hours away from the 25-year mark.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

The thing about deciphering it is the fact that a shitload was cut, so who knows if its something that was answered in a cut scene. I really hope the blu-ray has the movie, cut scenes, and whatever they just filmed.

This is a good point. Even though I assume we're all still secretly hoping for the deleted scenes, I have a bad feeling that ship has sailed. Still a couple of days until the "big day" I guess, so maybe Lynch will make a huge surprise announcement he won't :(

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ElectricWizard posted:

This is a good point. Even though I assume we're all still secretly hoping for the deleted scenes, I have a bad feeling that ship has sailed. Still a couple of days until the "big day" I guess, so maybe Lynch will make a huge surprise announcement he won't :(

There was an interview with Ray Wise last month where he said the blu ray release would have all the deleted scenes. Has that been debunked? I don't remember anything in the thread about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hearing about the 25th anniversary of that episode makes me realize its been almost 20 years since my insane summer camp counselor showed his bunkhouse full of 10-11 year olds Twin Peaks. We watched two episodes each night(it was a "reward" for good behavior), and we did get pretty hooked by the end.

My point in telling the story is that we were in the middle of nowhere in the woods with very little light besides flashlights. The guys used the one outlet in his room to run an extension cord for the TV/VCR combo he had. It wasn't unusual to have to take a flashlight and walk in pitch dark to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Needless to say experiencing Twin Peaks in those circumstances made quite an impression on me.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Waiting on these blu-rays is killing me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Basebf555 posted:

Hearing about the 25th anniversary of that episode makes me realize its been almost 20 years since my insane summer camp counselor showed his bunkhouse full of 10-11 year olds Twin Peaks. We watched two episodes each night(it was a "reward" for good behavior), and we did get pretty hooked by the end.

My point in telling the story is that we were in the middle of nowhere in the woods with very little light besides flashlights. The guys used the one outlet in his room to run an extension cord for the TV/VCR combo he had. It wasn't unusual to have to take a flashlight and walk in pitch dark to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Needless to say experiencing Twin Peaks in those circumstances made quite an impression on me.

Please tell me there were owls in the woods. And that's what gave him the idea.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Please tell me there were owls in the woods. And that's what gave him the idea.

There were absolutely owls in the woods, the camp is in Maryland so no pine trees but still it was loving dark woods that a kid could theoretically just walk into and disappear. We were like 30 minutes by car from any real civilization.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

Watch the scene where agent Cooper is describing his dream to Harry, he says that the dream took place 25 years in the future. That's what this line is referring to.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Yeah that's why he has all the old man makeup. I think she's telling him when he'll die.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Real life 25-years-later-Kyle MacLachlan looks a lot better the 25-years-later-Kyle MacLachlan in old man make-up.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Lycus posted:

Real life 25-years-later-Kyle MacLachlan looks a lot better the 25-years-later-Kyle MacLachlan in old man make-up.

See also: Lea Thompson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
I just watched Fire Walk With Me and it was awesome! I put if off because I was afraid it would be crap, but I enjoyed it at least as much as the series, if not more. It's a shame the other three movies were never made, because it answers some really big questions but makes me really curious about other things.

• Locked thread