Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Kovalev's unfiltered Euroness owns.

The dramatic, violent storm punishing Atlantic City added a nice little bit to tonight. Wish they got a shot of it though.

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Pac/Bradley 2 24/7 ep 1 starts now.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
:siren: Shots fired :siren:

https://twitter.com/AdonisSuperman/status/450120630919102465

Adonis Stevenson's twitter posted:

@KrusherKovalev You just a real slow BUM with no defence. Easy work!

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I think just replying with the piece of poo poo line is the best way to go.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
I think at this point I'd want to see a fat JCCJr or a fatter Brandon Rios fight for Kovalev's strap. Gatti-Ward kept coming up tonight and we really haven't had a brutal series of fights since the Rios/Alvarado mini saga, I think that mixbag of fighters has the kind of style clashes that would appease Krusher's Atlantic.

If Bernard Hopkins can beat the fourth champion, I will pick him against Stevenson *pending after Adonis' next performance, of course* if their fight happens within 4-6 months of their last defenses. Hopkins has basically used his executive powers with GB to buy himself a path to undisputed status, yet again. Forget his age, the longevity of his career is what is amazing, a big part of that must be his 'good decision making skills' inside and outside the ring even when it didn't always make everyone happy. He's also great at making out with the money (RJJr 2) which makes me think that he would be insane enough to actually lure over and fight a threat in Kovalev like he did Calzaghe only to lock him down to a contract if The Alien loses (resulting in the saddest Stevenson/Kovalev eventually).

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Yes, after he just signed a deal with Showtime. gently caress Adonis Stevenson.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stevenson is a piece of poo poo and a coward, but, you know........oh well. That's boxing.

At least it looks like we are actually getting Chavez Jr.-Golovkin.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 30, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Between giving Al Haymon free reign and the Mayweather deal I'm convinced that either:

1) Stephen Espinoza is an HBO sleeper agent trying to bankrupt Showtime
2) Golden Boy Promotions is just an elaborate ruse for Oscar to launder his career earnings

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

ozymandius1024 posted:

Yes, after he just signed a deal with Showtime. gently caress Adonis Stevenson.

https://twitter.com/StephenEspinoza/status/450053946246041600

:confused:

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Doesn't really mean much if Kovalev is contracted to HBO

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hahaha, come on.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
God forbid an aging fighter try to make as much money as possible before retirement.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Lionel Richie posted:

Doesn't really mean much if Kovalev is contracted to HBO

Kovalev can't have too many fights left on his deal. That fight must happen, especially after Kovalev's perfect comments after the fight.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Here's a link. No explanation.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/4/1/5570586/hopkins-vs-shumenov-selfie-twitter-campaign-is-a-real-thing#comments

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
Adonis Stevenson piece of poo poo.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

TresTristesTigres posted:

Adonis Stevenson piece of poo poo.

Yeah, thread title change.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Here's a fairly interesting interview with Kenny Bayless about being a referee: http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/articles-frontpage/18196-the-tss-q-n-a-referee-kenny-bayless-

He has some interesting things to say about what goes through his mind when he stops a fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Joe Bugner has been helping Leapai prepare for his fight with Klitschko. His advice was probably the most spot on considering Leapai has a snowball in hells chance of winning. He told him to go out there and try to blitz him throwing bombs as its his only chance to take some rounds and or get a win.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It might not last long but Tureano Johnson/Curtis Stevens is a pretty fun fight after one round.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Holy poo poo this is worth finding a replay of if you're missing it right now.

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW
I didn't know NBC showed boxing. But its been good for the 3 rounds I saw

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Fourth and Fifth were awesome, they'd slowed down some by the end. Sucks that it had to end that way, but boxing.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
So Canelo has asked Golden Boy for Erislandy Lara on July 12th, and said he doesn't give a gently caress about Lara's WBA "Regular" 154 belt and won't pay a sanctioning fee.

I like Canelo.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Gregor Samsa posted:

So Canelo has asked Golden Boy for Erislandy Lara on July 12th, and said he doesn't give a gently caress about Lara's WBA "Regular" 154 belt and won't pay a sanctioning fee.

I like Canelo.

Lara's been trying to punk Canelo-and generally looking worse for it-a while now so it makes sense. Canelo can put 350K buys against a fighter coming off a loss and a ho-hum undercard. Meanwhile Lara is stuck fighting Ishe Smith on Fox Sports 1 the night before Mayweather-Maidana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPpHyfmDeEg&t=55s

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Gregor Samsa posted:

I like Canelo.

I'd like to see this fight. Think I might even root for Canelo too.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's crazy how many PPV events are on the schedule (or soon will be). Between Pacquiao-Bradley II, Mayweather-Maidana, Cotto-Martinez and likely Chavez-GGG, adding Canelo-Lara to the list is getting excessive.

I don't give Canelo much of a shot against Lara to be honest. Lara is like a better Austin Trout. I suppose Canelo could win on activity + biased judges though.

I'm writing up a Pac-Bradley thread by the way.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Really hoping that JCC Jr/GGG fight comes through. Would love to see Chavez get his rear end handed to him, and my dad would probably love to see it as well.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

It's sort of ridiculous though that Jr is basically a light heavyweight and Golovkin could probably make light middle if he tried. Jr v Stevenson, now that he's with HBO, would be the most appropriate match up, although I suppose the only difference would be a quick knockout against Stevenson or a prolonged butchering against Golovkin.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lionel getting the excuses ready already. smh

btw guys the dream match of mundine vs mayweather died today. rip that dream match that we all wanted.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

my dream is clottey - mayweather so screw you

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Hearing that while I slept like a baby mundine was getting annihilated made for a joyous morning.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone else put money on Timmy?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

doctor thodt posted:

Anyone else put money on Timmy?

i honestly think tim's going to win on points but there is no way on god's green earth he's getting a decision nod after last time. is TNL still making the gdt?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'll post something up real quick, it won't be a proper preview but at least it'll have info on where to watch etc. I'm flying to Vegas in a few hours and hopefully I'll be able to post with Awful app during the undercard.

edit: thread here sorry it's a little rushed.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 12, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Schedule updated

Canelo-Lara is official for 7/12 apparently. Iirc that's what was being targeted for GGG-Chavez Jr but that probably wasn't going to come together so soon anyways. Also, sucks to be Ishe Smith I guess

http://instagram.com/p/mvVO_HH-tZ/

EDIT: And a preview of the Cotto-Martinez Face Off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su9echZWTqE

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 14, 2014

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

EDIT: And a preview of the Cotto-Martinez Face Off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su9echZWTqE

I could listen to Sergio talk poo poo all day :allears:

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

cotto warning martinez about the championship rounds as if he isn't just going to gas and spend them back peddling

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Cotto's knocked 4 guys out after the tenth and been knocked out twice, he has experience both ways. Martinez knocked four guys out late but hasn't lost a fight that way that didn't go to the cards. Clearly a win for Cotto there and your Sergio fandom is betraying you again :smug:

Honestly both guys are pretty old in boxing terms and I hope they bring out the best in each other one more time.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Cotto's knocked 4 guys out after the tenth and been knocked out twice, he has experience both ways. Martinez knocked four guys out late but hasn't lost a fight that way that didn't go to the cards. Clearly a win for Cotto there and your Sergio fandom is betraying you again :smug:

Honestly both guys are pretty old in boxing terms and I hope they bring out the best in each other one more time.

It's true that both guys are old, but I think it's going to be a big deal that Cotto is going up to 160 for this fight. He's a pretty small 154 lb fighter as it is, and Sergio is the naturally bigger guy with huge height and reach advantages. Add to that an advantage in power for Martinez as well (seriously who's the last legit guy Cotto has stopped? Zab Judah like 7 years ago?), and I think that Martinez wins this one pretty easily.

But I'll still be watching to see if being almost 40 has caught up with a guy who relies heavily on his speed and movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah Cotto used to be a lightweight champion. That's one big reason that is keeping me from picking him. Martinez hasn't just fought top guys at 160 lb, he's stopped them. I think the Cotto that showed up against Mayweather has a very good chance in this fight, but I don't know if he's still that guy and I'm reluctant to read too much into the Rodriguez fight.

• Locked thread