Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The way the crane moves makes it look like it's saying, "Oh--oh no."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Bad movie/airplane gifs.

Pay your respects.

Doing summadat pilot poo poo

Youtube comments own.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Time-lapse of river changing course over 28 years.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

Time-lapse of river changing course over 28 years.
Bigger version:

This isn't meant to show you up, ekuNNN. I just found it while I was trying to figure out what river it was (the Ucayali river in Peru, as it turns out)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Little Blackfly posted:

Bigger version:

This isn't meant to show you up, ekuNNN. I just found it while I was trying to figure out what river it was (the Ucayali river in Peru, as it turns out)

Awesome! :allears: I love seeing the river find a shortcut and the old bends just drying out.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

The site it comes from is here (Google Earth Engine):

https://earthengine.google.org/#intro/

You can do it for anywhere on the planet, and they have some special ones picked out.

Here's Las Vegas over the same time period:

Seems sustainable!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Bad movie/airplane gifs.

Pay your respects.

Youtube comments own.

I keep forgetting Red Tails existed. It and Pearl Harbor are the unholy duology of lovely war films that practically disrespect real life events.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Zeether posted:

I keep forgetting Red Tails existed. It and Pearl Harbor are the unholy duology of lovely war films that practically disrespect real life events.

HOW?!?!

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Well the technical explanation is that the physics engine they wrote for the game is unable to handle certain variable and if certain circumstances are reached it wigs the gently caress out trying to correct them. Just like the swingset in GTA 4.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Stop getting mad about race cars :cmon:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Short version is that when physically simulated objects clip into eachother the engine tries to un-intersect them. When the "fix" causes a new intersection you can get weird chain reactions or feedback loops where you basically end up with astronomical forces with nowhere to go. This is what causes "corpse twitch" in tons of games, or for small objects to suddenly go soaring majestically into the distance when a bunch of physics objects in a pile get jostled.

This sort of collision correction also tends to technically violate the laws of physics--basically it creates a force out of nowhere to get things separated. The result is that chains of objects flying through the air as a system, the parts bouncing off eachother can produce forces that magically change the whole system's trajectory, like if you could fly by pulling up on your belt.

Syntax Erin
Jan 1, 2012

Zeether posted:

But remember, if you don't like Red Tails it's because you are racist (according to George Lucas)

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I really just wanted to know how to make the train do that, all the derails I get are really tame.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

clownskull posted:

I really just wanted to know how to make the train do that, all the derails I get are really tame.

It really is hard to stay on track when explaining things like that.

Edit: On a real note essentially one of two things occurs either two object intersect in a way they shouldn't and the physics engine they built over corrects by flinging the objects apart spectacularly or in the case of the GTA 4 swingset its something like building up a negative charge and again the system corrects the issue the best way it knows how.

Edit Part Deux:

Haruharuharuko has a new favorite as of 05:33 on Mar 31, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mlmp08 posted:

Just saw Red Tails for the first time last night, and despite being an unrealistic, actiony popcorn flick, even this maneuver came off as absolutely ridiculous.

Hey, I'll just bring my plane to a virtual standstill and do a zero-g loop, while simultaneously taking down a jet fighter.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just saw Red Tails for the first time last night, and despite being an unrealistic, actiony popcorn flick, even this maneuver came off as absolutely ridiculous.

Hey, I'll just bring my plane to a virtual standstill and do a zero-g loop, while simultaneously taking down a jet fighter.

actually that's extremely cool.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I like that the super-tight loops using landing flaps are a plot point in the movie.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Haruharuharuko posted:

Edit Part Deux:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-SZYZLfZ7E
This was made as "Big Art for Small People", so basically for kids.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

To be fair it kind of is a legit -- if dangerous -- maneuver, although it's not as sharp a turn. It's something you can do if your opponent is coming in at a significantly higher speed. Misjudge that, though, and you're totally a sitting duck.

But deploying the landing flaps at anything other than "I'm about to land" speed is a good way to rip them off.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
It's called the immelman turn and there is an entire anime about it please educate yourself.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Now I want to do a frame-for-frame reshoot of Raiders of the Lost Ark using nothing but chocolate bunnies.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Mad Wack posted:

It's called the immelman turn and there is an entire anime about it please educate yourself.

What was this anime called again? I watched it once and it was weird.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

:gonk: what's the context for this?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Bad Sneakers posted:

:gonk: what's the context for this?

You should really watch the movie. He is supposed to be high on ludes and there is a hot woman.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I think that is Jeremy Shada, the voice of Finn from Adventure Time, rapping with his mom.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

organburner posted:

What was this anime called again? I watched it once and it was weird.

I think he meant Last Exile.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
MORE PIES!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Mikl posted:

I think he meant Last Exile.

Ah, that's what it was called. I just keep forgetting the name all the time.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
House

Gymkata

Mr. Sardonicus

Demons

Uninvited

EDIT:
Thanks!

Robert Denby has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Mar 31, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

I can't remember what game this is from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninvited_(video_game)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There's some new site called Gfycat that converts GIFs to HTML5 video using what might well be witchcraft (as well as having no size limits). You can enter in URLs of videos and the start time + how many seconds (maximum of 15) to convert them too, unfortunately they don't look as smooth in normal GIF form:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Zeether posted:

There's some new site called Gfycat that converts GIFs to HTML5 video using what might well be witchcraft

Or I'm guessing just mp4 or webm files.

And because those are both actual video codecs, you can fit a really long animation at typical gif resolutions into just a few megabytes.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Wheany posted:

Or I'm guessing just mp4 or webm files.

And because those are both actual video codecs, you can fit a really long animation at typical gif resolutions into just a few megabytes.
So we are turning videos into gifs to turn them back into videos.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Forgall posted:

So we are turning videos into gifs to turn them back into videos.

We are turning fullcolor videos, with smooth playback and audio, into 256-color, often jerky, silent gifs, and then back into full-color videos. The conversion is lossy in both directions. The resulting video will not be 1:1 with the gif and the gif sure as hell isn't anywhere close to being 1:1 with the original video.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Oh, boy, Gymkata! Gymkata is one of the most ridiculous things ever intentionally captured on film. Witness this scene, where the evil villagers chase the hero into the town center, where there just happens to be a stone pommel horse:

I also love the high bar stretched across the mouth of the alley. You can see a big puff of chalk when Kurt jumps up to grab it. Finally, the hero is trapped in a corner, and a hand reaches down to lift him onto the roof and save him. The hand is attached to... a ninja! The ninja removes his mask, and Kurt utters the greatest one-word line in cinema history: "Dad?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

• Locked thread