Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tomorrow I'm headed to BUKU. On the agenda: Schoolboy Q, Chromeo, The Flaming Lips, Explosions in the Sky, Skream, The Glitch Mob and Danny Brown. And this one goes on until like 2AM which will be nuts because the latest I've ever been at a festival was like midnight. I'm real loving excited because it will be my first time seeing every one of those artists except for Explosions in the Sky, who I saw a couple of years ago and they were great then, so I'm expecting them to be great again tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

the last signal... posted:

Just read this and can't believe it. Live Nation is awful.

Still it was a solid lineup, but it resonates 1) people don't want to go to a different festival date/lineup of the same name or 2) don't plan big, national tentpole festivals on 4th july weekends. (There must be at least one regional festival going down that weekend and they probably do well with a limited scope)

incoherent fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 22, 2014

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

incoherent posted:

Still it was a solid lineup, but it resonates 1) people don't want to go to a different festival date/lineup of the same name or 2) don't plan big, national tentpole festivals on 4th july weekends. (There must be at least one regional festival going down that weekend and they probably do well with a limited scope)

Also the gorge in July is hot as hell. Average high temp is 87, and us Seattle folk can't handle that kind of heat.

thesg
Oct 30, 2013

Djarum posted:

My god I hope the rumored headliners for Lollapalooza that the Chicago Tribune posted today aren't true. Kings of Leon and Eminem again? Didn't they just do it like 2 years ago? Arctic Monkeys are fine, maybe not headline worthy in the states and loving Skrillex. Color me unimpressed especially in a year that Outkast and Jack White are on the circuit.

They put a poster on their store page where you can make out the lineup in very tiny font. Here's the top 11:

Eminem * Outkast * Kings of Leon * Arctic Monkeys * Skrillex * Calvin Harris * Lorde * The Avett Brothers * Foster the People * Zedd * Pharrell Williams (maybe, not 100% on Pharrell)

I love going to Lolla most years but that is not good for a major US fest.

thesg fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 25, 2014

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
I'm still skeptical about OutKast if only because that means they'd play three festivals in as many days/cities.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
I know people say worst lineup ever every year but that really is the Worst Lineup Ever.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Misandrist Duck posted:

I'm still skeptical about OutKast if only because that means they'd play three festivals in as many days/cities.

I'm sadden to say if you don't see outkast at one of the hundo festivals they're playing, you might never see them again.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

thesg posted:

They put a poster on their store page where you can make out the lineup in very tiny font. Here's the top 11:

Eminem * Outkast * Kings of Leon * Arctic Monkeys * Skrillex * Calvin Harris * Lorde * The Avett Brothers * Foster the People * Zedd * Pharrell Williams

:stonk:

Good god that is beyond awful. I can see why they sold all tickets before announcing the lineup.

edit: the best part of this is scalpers are going to be scrambling to try to sell tickets to this lovely fest at cost.

edit2: Well I just saw a rumored undercard that had The Flaming Lips and MGMT, neither of whom I've seen in a few years, so if they were on the same day and I could go for cheap, maybe.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 25, 2014

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

thesg posted:

Eminem * Outkast * Kings of Leon * Arctic Monkeys * Skrillex * Calvin Harris * Lorde * The Avett Brothers * Foster the People * Zedd * Pharrell Williams

That is truly awful. I woke up this morning because early bird ticket went on sale and was considering getting some until I saw they were 250 bucks. Sorry, that lineup for that price? Never going to happen.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

incoherent posted:

I'm sadden to say if you don't see outkast at one of the hundo festivals they're playing, you might never see them again.

I'm still dumbfounded on why they are not at Bonnaroo.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

thesg posted:

Eminem * Outkast * Kings of Leon * Arctic Monkeys * Skrillex * Calvin Harris * Lorde * The Avett Brothers * Foster the People * Zedd * Pharrell Williams (maybe, not 100% on Pharrell)

Threw up a bit in my mouth

thesg
Oct 30, 2013

ShortThug posted:

I know people say worst lineup ever every year but that really is the Worst Lineup Ever.

It's especially bad since the headliners (outside of Outkast) were just loving there. Eminem/Skrillex/AM in 2011, Calvin Harris in 2012, Kings of Leon in 2009. And every other festival except for Bonnaroo has Outkast this year anyway.

I live in Chicago so there will probably end up being just enough bands I like to make my $225 worth it but I don't know why anyone would want to travel for this fest unless the undercard is the best it's ever been.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Full lineup is out. Undercard is okay but nothing special. It's not even worth a single day pass this year.

thesg
Oct 30, 2013
The Sunday lineup is the worst thing I've ever seen unless Run the Jewels get to play for 5 hours

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Full lineup is out. Undercard is okay but nothing special. It's not even worth a single day pass this year.

Pitchfork has a stronger lineup this year.

Think about that.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

incoherent posted:

Pitchfork has a stronger lineup this year.

Think about that.

Sad but very, very true and significantly cheaper.

I am trying to understand how they think that lineup is worth that amount of scratch. To put it in perspective in 2007 the Pearl Jam, Daft Punk, Muse year 3 day passes were 175. I am trying to figure out who is costing 25 dollars let alone almost 300 bucks on that bill. Crazy, crazy stuff there.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't think they even have the smallest delusion that the lineup is worth the money. I think they've seen how 3-day passes sell out so quickly based on the reputation to delivery big names, and knew they could serve up any poo poo on a platter because they're selling all the passes before they release the lineup. They're betting it won't hurt their reputation and future sales.

The first year I went was 2008, so I missed Daft Punk, but I did get Rage Against the Machine. Which would be worth more than all the poo poo this year combined.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I went in 2011 and the Saturday of that alone had as many good bands as the full line-ups for the past three years.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
The Obey Convention VII in Halifax, NS, Canada, announced its lineup today. I had not acutely heard of this festival until today and I'm not entirely sure why not since it seems like one of only maybe two notable festivals here (the others being the Halifax Pop Explosion and maybe In the Dead of Winter). Grouper played for this festival last year -- I didn't know that's why she was here at the time -- and I wanted to go but forgot about it until after it had already happened. :( This year looks good though, especially for $85/115...

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
http://lineup.governorsballmusicfestival.com/?sort=day now has the day by day lineup for Governor's Ball. Did any of you go last year? I'm going this year and am wondering if there's anything I should keep in mind logistically.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Forgot to add this earlier, Bluesfest is well known for eclectic daily lineups. Gonna see Foreigner and Styx open for QOTSA.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Local LA goons who can't afford coachella can always hit up Brokechella. 10 bucks, 3 dollar beers (at least that was the case last year) and some pretty good music (again, just going off last year, I recognize none of the acts playing this year).

http://brokechella.com/2014-line-up/

http://brokechella.com

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 11, 2014

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Anyone going to Electric Forest this year?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
http://www.newportfolk.org/lineup

Ryan Adams was just added today to the Friday lineup of the Newport Folk Festival, consequently the same day I'm going to! I'm also looking forward to seeing Band of Horses, Jimmy Cliff, The Devil Makes Three and Reignwolf

I also got my single day ticket to Governors Ball on Saturday, so pumped for Jack White, The Strokes, Spoon and Broken Bells!

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
moedown might belong on the list for US fests. moe., Lotus, Les Claypool, OAR, really chill spot in upstate New York over a holiday weekend. Its an older, more discreet crowd too, not a bunch of spun wookies like most jammy fests.

http://www.moedown.com

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
ACL just put up their full lineup and it rivals Lolla's for worst lineup.

http://www.aclfestival.com/2014-lineup/

I'll probably go for outkast, chromeo, st Vincent, the replacements, chvrches, and juanes but goddamn it's just a bad lineup overall.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
That is laughably bad. The only thing worse is South Florida's Sun Fest.

Read it and laugh/weep: http://lineup.sunfest.com

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 22, 2014

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's real bad but Pearl Jam and Beck would have improved Lolla's "headliners."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

It's real bad but Pearl Jam and Beck would have improved Lolla's "headliners."

People I know IRL are getting crazy excited for Eminem. I don't even know what is real anymore.

lil mortimer posted:

That is laughably bad. The only thing worse is South Florida's Sun Fest.

Read it and laugh/weep: http://lineup.sunfest.com

Holy poo poo :stare:

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 22, 2014

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

People I know IRL are getting crazy excited for Eminem. I don't even know what is real anymore.

I was pretty excited for Eminem back when he played Bonnaroo in 2011, mainly because he didn't tour a lot. Then I saw the show, where he rapped over a track of his own voice and only sometimes actually did even that, so sometimes you'd hear two Eminems and sometimes only one (which was the recording). Between that, and him doing maybe 45 seconds of songs because, well, he was only a guest on Airplanes so we're not going to spend more than a minute on that song, he'll just do his part, it was a really lovely show.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

ACL just put up their full lineup and it rivals Lolla's for worst lineup.

http://www.aclfestival.com/2014-lineup/

I'll probably go for outkast, chromeo, st Vincent, the replacements, chvrches, and juanes but goddamn it's just a bad lineup overall.

Holy gently caress, partial weekends for some acts? Thats not how two weekends work.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

incoherent posted:

Holy gently caress, partial weekends for some acts? Thats not how two weekends work.

Not sure why Lorde is one weekend but local acts have been scheduled for single weekends since the two weekend thing started.

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery
Lorde is one weekend because C3 was kinda embarrassed that weekend 2 took so long to sell out last year. They just had her in Austin for a sold out show, so I guess it's what they are willing to try. Dont know if it is related, but they had some movement in their festival marketing department early this year.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Am I gonna see anyone tomorrow and Saturday at 2014's best loving music festival of all time? :smugdog:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Rising Suun posted:

Lorde is one weekend because C3 was kinda embarrassed that weekend 2 took so long to sell out last year. They just had her in Austin for a sold out show, so I guess it's what they are willing to try. Dont know if it is related, but they had some movement in their festival marketing department early this year.

Yeah this makes sense but I feel like its almost backfiring now. People seem to be confused about which weekend to go to and neither weekend has sold out yet, which I think is the first time this has happened for ACL in a while. Its kinda sad the direction this festival has gone IMO.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Seriously guys, moedown or nothing. I will not be ignored, damnit.

http://youtu.be/1O_LodTRohE

E: glad to see Tesla and Queensryche represented though

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 26, 2014

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Music Festivals are a serious let down this year. I've been to Bonnaroo 9 years in a row, but I'm breaking that this year. I couldn't convince my friends to go with that crappy lineup (it's got a decent undercard though). I'm gonna go at least one day to ACL to see Pearl Jam and hopefully Interpol. The only full festival I'm going to this year is Wakarusa, and that's only because my friends are playing and I get to go as a "crew member" and camp with all of the bands :cool:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Florida goons, there's a really killer metal fest coming to Tampa in August.

Roster so far's made up of the following bands: Pelican, Phobia, Black Tusk, Weekend Nachos, Bongripper, A Storm Of Light, Lord Mantis, Coke Bust, Centuries, Junius, Everything Went Black, ASG, Jungbluth, Mouth Of The Architect, Yautja, Order Of The Owl, Sannhet, Falls of Rauros, Maruta, Strong Intention, Set And Setting, Cosm, Traitor Crucifix, and Immortal Bird.

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!
The fall (September 5,6,7) Boston Calling lineup was announced last week. It is quite solid. I think I'll be living in Boston at that point so I am definitely planning on going. Mostly excited to see NMH, the National, Future Islands, Spoon, and Nas x The Roots. I think Sky and Lake Street Dive will be really fun as well. Does anyone know if the Replacements are any good live nowadays?

http://fall.bostoncalling.com/lineup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Mr. Tibbs posted:

The fall (September 5,6,7) Boston Calling lineup was announced last week. It is quite solid. I think I'll be living in Boston at that point so I am definitely planning on going. Mostly excited to see NMH, the National, Future Islands, Spoon, and Nas x The Roots. I think Sky and Lake Street Dive will be really fun as well. Does anyone know if the Replacements are any good live nowadays?

http://fall.bostoncalling.com/lineup

What's up fellow (soon to be) Boston goon!

Here's the day to day lineup, which was just released today:

Friday:

Future Islands
Neutral Milk Hotel
The National

Saturday:

Clifflight
S.Carey
Sky Ferreira
Bleachers
The Hold Steady
Volcano Choir
Girl Talk
Childish Gambino
Lorde

Sunday:

Gentlemen Hall
San Fermin
White Denim
The War On Drugs
Lake Street Dive
Twenty One Pilots
The 1975
Spoon
The Replacements
Nas x The Roots

Sunday has the best lineup for sure, so I'll probably just go to that one. Friday is mighty tempting with NMH and The National though...

• Locked thread