Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mindisgone posted:

Current standard could look like:

T1 foundry street denizen
T2 Young Pyromancer
T3 5 Alarm Fire
T4 legion loyalist + hellraiser goblin
T5 Molten Birth, win game?

That's like 60% less powerful! and we no longer have the alternate Burn at the Stake win-con either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Yes it kind of blows without Kenko. Maybe a Modern version of the deck would work. That would be sweet too because Modern is becoming more popular at my LGS.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mindisgone posted:

Yes it kind of blows without Kenko. Maybe a Modern version of the deck would work. That would be sweet too because Modern is becoming more popular at my LGS.

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing that, I have Goblin Guides, Chieftains and Grenades, and I may hold on to my Mutavaults from Standard. Might need more Cavern of Souls, I only have one. Wanted to do it since a friend of mine made top 4 of a GPT with Goblins in standard around Gatecrash, and he said it was Five-Alarm Fire that did it for him.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I can make Selesnya aggro work in RTR/THS! I can! :shepface:

http://deckbox.org/sets/650007

This is about as close to mono-white as a Selesnya deck gets, but I honestly think it would play well. Plus, Brave the Elements will hit every creature in this deck. Obviously dropping $200+ on Brimaz and Voice isn't exactly appealing, but they are phenomenal cards.

Any thoughts?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Made some adjustments to my Oros Control EDH deck after some recent trades-

Deck: Oros, the Avenger

Display deck statistics

My biggest concern is how much colored mana everything needs, especially on the creature side. Admittedly I don't have all the dual lands that I could but I'm worried that I'm running too many utility lands that only produce colorless mana. Also, I have a Liliana Vess coming in from a trade and I'm trying to decide where to put her, probably in place of some single-target disruption like Castigate or Orim's Thunder.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

ungulateman posted:

I can make Selesnya aggro work in RTR/THS! I can! :shepface:

http://deckbox.org/sets/650007

This is about as close to mono-white as a Selesnya deck gets, but I honestly think it would play well. Plus, Brave the Elements will hit every creature in this deck. Obviously dropping $200+ on Brimaz and Voice isn't exactly appealing, but they are phenomenal cards.

Any thoughts?

Just play mono-white with that build. You aren't stabbing your own consistency in the face for two cards. (Also you can easily get away with 23 lands with a curve stopping at four.)

As a long time Selesnya player, about the only reason to play the deck right now is Advent of the Wurm, plus the extra mono-green creatures to actually deal with Blood Baron and Stormbreath. I've been playing a much heavier green version of the deck for a long time now, and it's in a really bad place in the Born meta. Tough to beat Esper, R/G monsters is a game of how many coursers do they get out, mono blue is nothing short of hell to deal with if you don't just slam Mistcutters on them, and mono-black is as bullshit as ever. Smiter owns though, gently caress Boon Satyr, he's back as the better 3 drop right now.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
So, I've been tinkering with this thing for a while now, and it's a blast to play, but I'm looking to hear your thoughts on it.

EDIT: There was a shitload of words here. They don't matter.

I'm not going tryhard on this, I just want it to be fun to play and fun to play against. I don't want a deck that is super reliable at winning in one fashion, I want it to have a number of ways to do fun things.

Last time I played it, I kind of ran out of cards in my hand, so I need something like Staff of Nin, that lets me either draw more cards or search my library. I also need more than two heavy-hitters (them being Colossus of Akros and Darksteel Juggernaut).

Condoleezza Nice! fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 31, 2014

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

legoman727 posted:

As a long time Selesnya player, about the only reason to play the deck right now is Advent of the Wurm, plus the extra mono-green creatures to actually deal with Blood Baron and Stormbreath. I've been playing a much heavier green version of the deck for a long time now, and it's in a really bad place in the Born meta. Tough to beat Esper, R/G monsters is a game of how many coursers do they get out, mono blue is nothing short of hell to deal with if you don't just slam Mistcutters on them, and mono-black is as bullshit as ever. Smiter owns though, gently caress Boon Satyr, he's back as the better 3 drop right now.

Yeah, I'm only playing at FNM but I am noticing the lack of new good things in Theros block for G/W. I think I'll keep my deck in its current, green-heavier state and go from there. Thanks for the advice!

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Deck: Horde Of Notions

Display deck statistics

This is what my current version of Horde of Notions EDH is looking like. Still looking for a few key money cards, sorting out manabase etc. Planning to remove the guildgate's for temples, then obtain shocklands. I removed a lot of manarocks, but still keeping a few for fixing/ramping.

On the topic of ramping, should i go full force with explosive vegetation, boundless realm etc.? Obviously it'd work better once i get more shocks!

I'm pretty great on creatures at the moment, aside from a few like faultgrinder/the abominations

Still looking for board sweepers, but fated retribution has been enough to catch people before my turn.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Your deck's private hoss.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Big Nothing posted:

Still looking for board sweepers, but fated retribution has been enough to catch people before my turn.

Rout is Fated Retribution except better.

I got a shiny Chromanticore at prerelease, so obviously I made a commander deck with it. I don't even care that it's not legendary.

http://deckbox.org/sets/651275

Last time I played Commander we all agreed to play new decks, so I played my GB reanimator/Vhati il-Dal machine gun deck. Well people whined about it because I played a good deck, even though nothing was said with regards to deck quality. So this is my response: an intentionally bad 5 color deck with a bunch of mostly complete cycles of cards and not much else.

So far I'm somehow 2/0 with it against Oona and Chainer the first time, and against my own Shauku, Endbringer deck and Lavinia the 2nd time. I pretty much plan on not playing it ever again because I already did everything I wanted to. The first game I bestowed Chromanticore on Cromat for beatdown city. The next game I got Wild Pair early for some ridiculous value, then next turn Legacy Weapon and 2+ of each color available for a pretty hard lock.

I'm not really sure why Jhoira is in there, but I'm taking her and the green Bringer out for Karnwalker and something else. It's pretty funny how good all the other Bringer of x Dawns are, and green is just "here's a beast." It could have at least Giant Growthed your guys or cast Overrun or something.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

First Bass posted:

Your deck's private hoss.

Woops. Should be fixed now!

suicidesteve posted:

Rout is Fated Retribution except better.

Noted, now i just have to find people who have the drat things! :argh:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Been tinkering with the list since Theros, where I took home two box tournies. Born? Haven't had nearly as much luck. Finally won a small tourney on Saturday with it. It's very explosive when it gets going and can smash slower decks. But I've been considering cutting the 1 drops and moving up to a more midrange strategy to survive. Also still tinkering with the sideboard. Bramblecrush was a new idea to deal with those stupid loving gates. (there's multiple local Maze's End players. uggggh.)

Deck: Selesnya Aggro

//Creatures
4 Experiment One
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Voice of Resurgence
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Loxodon Smiter
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
1 Banisher Priest
3 Mistcutter Hydra

//Spells that make Creatures
4 Selesnya Charm
4 Call of the Conclave
4 Advent of the Wurm
1 Rootborn Defenses

//Lands
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Plenty
8 Forest
7 Plains

//Sideboard
4 Unflinching Courage
1 Mistcutter Hydra
1 Rootborn Defenses
3 Glare of Heresy
2 Unravel the Ęther
2 Plummet
2 Bramblecrush

Display deck statistics

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

legoman727 posted:

Been tinkering with the list since Theros, where I took home two box tournies. Born? Haven't had nearly as much luck. Finally won a small tourney on Saturday with it. It's very explosive when it gets going and can smash slower decks. But I've been considering cutting the 1 drops and moving up to a more midrange strategy to survive. Also still tinkering with the sideboard. Bramblecrush was a new idea to deal with those stupid loving gates. (there's multiple local Maze's End players. uggggh.)

Deck: Selesnya Aggro

//Creatures
4 Experiment One
4 Voice of Resurgence
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Loxodon Smiter
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
1 Banisher Priest
3 Mistcutter Hydra

//Spells that make Creatures
4 Selesnya Charm
4 Call of the Conclave
4 Advent of the Wurm
1 Rootborn Defenses

//Lands
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Plenty
8 Forest
7 Plains

//Sideboard
4 Unflinching Courage
1 Mistcutter Hydra
1 Rootborn Defenses
3 Glare of Heresy
2 Unravel the Ęther
2 Plummet
2 Bramblecrush

Display deck statistics

My version:

Deck: Selesnya

//Lands
3 Forest
2 Mutavault
7 Plains
2 Selesnya Guildgate
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Plenty

//Spells
4 Advent of the Wurm
4 Call of the Conclave
2 Rootborn Defenses
4 Selesnya Charm
2 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
4 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Loxodon Smiter
4 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Spirit of the Labyrinth
4 Voice of Resurgence

//Sideboard
1 Glare of Heresy
2 Plummet
2 Unravel the Ęther
3 Fiendslayer Paladin
2 Gift of Immortality
1 Rootborn Defenses
2 Unflinching Courage
2 Bramblecrush

Display deck statistics

It does reasonably well but has the usual problems with GR Monsters and Mono Black. The latter is minimized by playing spells that make creatures so they have to snag them with Thoughtseize or Duress and dodge Lifebane. Spear is probably the star, it lets you go over the top on GR and take out an early Domri or something to slow them down, while Charm exiles all their problematic poo poo besides Stormbreath.

I like Bramblecrush for that match-up as well to blow up planeswalkers without giving them a Fog for it.

I like the idea of Bestow to play around wrath effects, but with Rootborn in the main (because of the tokens especially, works nicely) and things with flash or haste (Mistcutter, Advent), it actually has a decent anti-control game. It was just too clunky to try to include both.

I also dislike playing BOTH Soldier and Experiment One. The mana is shaky as it is, and with the need to play 8 tap-lands it's not worth it. I'd rather play a Centaur on turn 2 than two 1-drops. Those little creatures are very problematic to draw late against GR or control.

4 Brimaz might seem odd for a Legendary, but he's THE best creature in the deck. He and a Spear will wreck poo poo, and he absorbs any kill spell instantly, including, often, a 1-for-1 Verdict. There's nothing like the instant change on a smug opponent's face when he wrecks Brimaz only to see him immediately recast. He's an absolute must against a Desecration Demon.

Banisher Priests would be ok in the side instead of Fiendslayer. It all depends on the local meta; I play Fiendslayer because black is everywhere. Gift of Immortality is silly, but it works really well against control if you slap it on a Voice on turn 3 and they can't counter it. I'd probably change it for a serious tournament, though, because it is just a bit of fun.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I've been playing the Rakdos Aggro deck I built a few weeks ago a good amount and having a lot of fun with it.

How rocked would I get if I tried to take this deck to FNM? I've never actually played standard at FNM, I'm assuming a well-constructed sideboard is a huge factor in your success.

What archetypes should I be on the lookout for w/ rakdos aggro and why does it not seem like it's played very much at all competitively?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

The first game I bestowed Chromanticore on Cromat for beatdown city.

How did you do this? You can only bestow from the hand. Unless your guys just let it slip for the purposes of funness.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

How did you do this? You can only bestow from the hand. Unless your guys just let it slip for the purposes of funness.

Same way I have Chromanticore as my commander in the first place; not caring. If you're not breaking the rules playing commander you're playing all wrong. And actually in the case you quoted, Crosis's Charm.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

AlternateNu posted:

Nothing about Bestow says hand. It's an alternate cost, so as long as you're casting it, and not already paying some other alternate cost to cast it from where you're casting it from, you can Bestow it. You could bestow it from your graveyard with Yawgmoth's Will.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LordSaturn posted:

Nothing about Bestow says hand. It's an alternate cost, so as long as you're casting it, and not already paying some other alternate cost to cast it from where you're casting it from, you can Bestow it. You could bestow it from your graveyard with Yawgmoth's Will.

Huh. You're right. All the descriptions from Wizards mentioned casting from the hand, so I just assumed it was in the comprehensive rules.

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."
Deck: Gruul Team

//Lands
9 Forest
6 Mountain
1 Rogue's Passage
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon

//Spells
4 Mizzium Mortars
2 Shock

//Creatures
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Fanatic of Xenagos
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Kalonian Tusker
2 Rakdos Cackler
2 Skarrg Guildmage
3 Slaughterhorn
4 Wild Beastmaster

Display deck statistics

So this is my budget Gruul Team deck. My aim is to use my spells to kill any early game creatures while I get my creatures out. I'll then pump up my creatures using the Blood Rush mechanic with Ghor-Clan Rampager and Slaughterhorn in combination with Wild Beastmaster to win the game. Anyone have any other suggestions to make this a better deck?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Chow-King posted:

So this is my budget Gruul Team deck. My aim is to use my spells to kill any early game creatures while I get my creatures out. I'll then pump up my creatures using the Blood Rush mechanic with Ghor-Clan Rampager and Slaughterhorn in combination with Wild Beastmaster to win the game. Anyone have any other suggestions to make this a better deck?
Any thought to using experiment one which should regularly get to 3/3 or 4/4? Fanatic + Experiment one seems like a good synergy that hasn't been explored much yet. Another good card that works with BTE that I've seen in aggressive low curve green decks is Brushstrider 3/1 Vigilance creature.

Korak fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 1, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Chow-King posted:

Deck: Gruul Team

//Lands
9 Forest
6 Mountain
1 Rogue's Passage
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon

//Spells
4 Mizzium Mortars
2 Shock

//Creatures
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Fanatic of Xenagos
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Kalonian Tusker
2 Rakdos Cackler
2 Skarrg Guildmage
3 Slaughterhorn
4 Wild Beastmaster

Display deck statistics

You could go full aggro and add rakdos shredfreaks and satyr firedrinkers, add a fourth fanatic, maybe some e1's. You have a really low average cmc right now so you definitely don't need elvish mystics, or 24 land for that matter. Legion loyalist would be a good one drop if you went that route.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Cactrot posted:

So this is the list that I'm running right now, I went 3-1 with it on Friday. My loss came from a Selesnya aggro deck that ran face first into Brimaz without an answer. I got him down to 3 for each of my games but couldn't come up with a lightning strike or a piece of removal to finish it off.

Deck: Rakdos Aggro

//LANDS
10 Swamp
8 Mountain
4 Blood Crypt

//CREATURES
4 Tormented Hero
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Mogis's Marauder
4 Pain Seer
3 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
2 Mogis, God of Slaughter
3 Xathrid Necromancer
2 Rakdos Shred-Freak
2 Spike Jester

//INSTANTS and SORCERIES
4 Lightning Strike
2 Doom Blade

//OTHER SPELLS
4 Madcap Skills

//Sideboard
4 Thoughtseize
1 Underworld Cerberus
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
2 Dreadbore
2 Burning Earth
2 Dark Betrayal

Display deck statistics

So I've been playing with a slightly modified version of this:

Deck: Rakdos Aggro

//LANDS
11 Swamp
10 Mountain
1 Temple of Malice

//CREATURES
4 Tormented Hero
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Mogis's Marauder
3 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
2 Mogis, God of Slaughter
4 Xathrid Necromancer
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
4 Spike Jester

//INSTANTS and SORCERIES
3 Lightning Strike
2 Hero's Downfall
1 Doom Blade

//OTHER SPELLS
4 Madcap Skills

//Sideboard
1 Thoughtseize
4 Pain Seer
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
2 Dreadbore
1 Underworld Cerberus
1 Doom Blade

Display deck statistics

If I were to want to run this this weekend at FNM what changes can I make to improve it and what should I be keeping an eye out for? I've never played at FNM yet. The only two constructed decks I have that I could take are this or Mono-Black Devotion and I think this might loan my mono-black deck to a friend.

I do have extra thoughtseizes I can add to my sideboard, and I realize the mana distribution isn't quite right. I'm hoping to find one or two blood crypts before Friday.

Thoughts?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How many cards have you actually drawn off Pain Seer with that build? I think I'd much rather have the full four Spike Jesters.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Entropic posted:

How many cards have you actually drawn off Pain Seer with that build? I think I'd much rather have the full four Spike Jesters.

the build on the bottom is mine, I dropped the pain seer's and put in 4 spike jesters.

Trying to decide if the pain seer's even have a place in my sideboard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like Pain Seer but there just doesn't seem to be a deck that wants him. If it had Intimidate or something it would be bananas.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

I like Pain Seer but there just doesn't seem to be a deck that wants him. If it had Intimidate or something it would be bananas.

He's really best with Madcap Skills (or Aqueous Form if you're going B/U). I wish there were more low drop blue humans. I'd really like to see Incursion Specialist make a splash in a B/U weenie deck. :v:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

quote:

2xDarkslick shores
2xSnapcaster mage
4xKiki-Jiki, mirror breaker
3xPestermite
3xDeceiver exarch
4xGriselbrand
4xSimian spirit guide

4xSerum visions
4xFaithless looting
4xGoryo's vengeance
3xLightning bolt
2Through the breach
2xLightning axe

Boseiju, who shelters all
appropriate mana
So I came across this Modern Reanimator list that needs a lot of tweaking but in some weird way looks like it could be on to some weird gameplan that actually might work? Definitely needs some counter spells or even more cheap ways to filter through the deck for what you need.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entropic posted:

I don't usually attack with pain seer unless there's a clear board, if he's got madcap skills or I know that I'm dropping Mogis's Marauder next turn. Getting that extra free land to hit a on-curve Exava does win quite a few games though.
He's also a human, so even if he dies before drawing any cards you can still trade and get a zombie out of it.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

There's a guy at my local store who runs pain seer in the side of his monoblack deck. He brings it in against anything he feels like can't deal with it in the first few turns. My deck in particular (U/G devotion) has very little interaction with it beyond blocking with Caryatids for the first few turns and he pretty much buries me in card advantage games two and three. It could probably do well for rakdos aggro in the event that your opponent stalls at the beginning of the game but can't really remove it. Even a few turns of attacking gets you a lot, but I don't think it's mainboard material unless your local meta is full of decks that try to clock up the ground early.

I'd really love if I didn't play him round two for the fifth week in a row this Friday...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I was just browsing around mtgtop8 and came across this new Boros aggro deck that seems like it's more of a burn deck than an aggro deck but whatever. I'm gonna put it together for this Friday but I'm torn between 2 versions of the deck that I've seen:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=6998&d=240227&f=ST

and

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=7003&d=240273&f=ST

The main difference is that one deck has 4 Ash Zealots and the other replaces them with 4 Toil // Trouble.

From a playstyle perspective I like Ash Zealot over Toil // Trouble (reusable damage sources vs. non-reusable) but the deck running Toil // Trouble placed higher. Toil // Trouble is also way more expensive mana-wise and I think it's mostly in there as a meta card against control decks. My local meta doesn't have a ton of Control.

Do you guys have any thoughts on which is better or does it not matter?

edit: Also can someone please explain to me why there are 4 Firedrinker Satyrs in the sideboard?

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 2, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like the Ash Zealots better. They're bad against a deck that plays 4x Sylvan Caryatid but against almost anything else you'll get more out of them then you would a toil/trouble.

I'm presuming the Satyrs come in against UW control type decks that don't have T1 plays of their own and rarely have anything to block your 1-drops early on.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

I like the Ash Zealots better. They're bad against a deck that plays 4x Sylvan Caryatid but against almost anything else you'll get more out of them then you would a toil/trouble.

I'm presuming the Satyrs come in against UW control type decks that don't have T1 plays of their own and rarely have anything to block your 1-drops early on.

OK thanks. I keep forgetting that the reason I never understand GP-level sideboards is because the meta is so much different.

Also I figured out Toil // Trouble. I can use the Toils to draw cards for myself OR dome them for the number of cards in their hand, or both if I have enough mana. I can also force them to draw 2, lose 2, then hit them for however many cards in hand. That sounds fun and I don't use split cards much so I think I'm gonna go with that for variety's sake.

I agree with you on Ash Zealot too but Sylvan Caryatid and Frostburn Weird are all over the place in my local meta so I think I'll skip them and just go to the dome instead. It's been a long time since I've played a burn deck and this is just too cool to pass up, especially since I have all the cards just sitting around.

I think the only card I'm really worried about going up against is Desecration Demon. Ideally I'd be able to 2-for-1 it using a Helix and a Searing Blood but I think with this deck I should just ignore him and race for the kill.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I played a version of that a few weeks ago and I actually managed to kill a Desecration Demon with Chandra's +1 then a Fated Conflagration. Feels good man.

Chained to the Rocks is great for taking out problem creatures that are too big to burn, but you can't aim it at the dome... I think it shines more in the creature heavier versions where it's also helping you get damage through by taking out a blocker.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Chains is amazing and I run 4 mainboard in my burn deck. Ash zealots are also amazingly useful but caryatids shut them down. Firedrinkers are there for the control matchups and mono B devotion as well. If games go too long against either of those then you will lose, so it adds an extra measure of fast aggro.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Elephant Ambush posted:

I was just browsing around mtgtop8 and came across this new Boros aggro deck that seems like it's more of a burn deck than an aggro deck but whatever. I'm gonna put it together for this Friday but I'm torn between 2 versions of the deck that I've seen:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=6998&d=240227&f=ST

One thing I've wondered about with tournaments in China is how different is their meta? If you look at that top 8 list, there are no control decks and a freaking Esper Midrange deck. I don't think you would ever see that in a major US tournament, so I always wonder how helpful it is to look at decks from China.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

traslin posted:

One thing I've wondered about with tournaments in China is how different is their meta? If you look at that top 8 list, there are no control decks and a freaking Esper Midrange deck. I don't think you would ever see that in a major US tournament, so I always wonder how helpful it is to look at decks from China.

Because this is just an FNM deck. I'm not looking to go on the Pro Tour. I was just browsing around to see what was winning recent tournaments regardless of locale, saw this burn deck, and decided it looked fun.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Elephant Ambush posted:

Because this is just an FNM deck. I'm not looking to go on the Pro Tour. I was just browsing around to see what was winning recent tournaments regardless of locale, saw this burn deck, and decided it looked fun.

Right, depending on your LGS, it may or may not matter. A lot of the more serious players at my LGS also play at FNM, and they all seem to follow the top 8 meta pretty closely. So my FNM is about a 50/50 mix of serious tournament decks and more casual players. And I wasn't referring to your situation in particular, but your link just reminded me that I was wondering about the meta of Chinese decks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

traslin posted:

Right, depending on your LGS, it may or may not matter. A lot of the more serious players at my LGS also play at FNM, and they all seem to follow the top 8 meta pretty closely. So my FNM is about a 50/50 mix of serious tournament decks and more casual players. And I wasn't referring to your situation in particular, but your link just reminded me that I was wondering about the meta of Chinese decks.

Fair enough. It's nice to see what other metas are like. I'd like to think that regional influences will affect each other in good ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Okay, so I have a statistics question for my EDH deck.

I have to cut a few cards and I am looking at the cost vs. rewards of each card heavily. In my Grand Arbiter deck I currently have a Stoneforge Mystic maindeck. I only have 2 equipment cards being Lightning Greaves and I am tossing up between Darksteel Plate and Whisper Silk Cloak (it will likely be the Darksteel Plate).

With only 2 equipment cards would it be worth it to keep the Stoneforge Mystic? I know it would technically increase the odds of me getting those 2 pieces of equipment on the field, but does it increase the odds enough to justify keeping Stoneforge Mystic over something else? Opinions? Thoughts?

Here is where the deck currently sits.

• Locked thread