Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Arrrthritis posted:

The more I think about it, the more I'm glad Draconians made it into the game. A draconian dude commanding an army of tanks would be scary as gently caress.

Also useful because I'm still having trouble getting the AoE of the Flame Tank working just right and as often as not I roast my own units too, so the flame resistance is useful.

How many killer builds do we have so far? I've only tried Dreadnoughts so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
In the first campaign mission, every time I cast a global spell it was dispelled by the other guy immediately. I was hoping that was just unique for that map for some reason, but another person tells me that his global spells are getting consistently dispelled the next turn too elsewhere. This seems like a big problem...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Inverness posted:

In the first campaign mission, every time I cast a global spell it was dispelled by the other guy immediately. I was hoping that was just unique for that map for some reason, but another person tells me that his global spells are getting consistently dispelled the next turn too elsewhere. This seems like a big problem...

I haven't gotten a chance to play much, but I'm not sure "the computer is playing too well/aggressively" is a big problem. It's possible that dispelling global magics needs to be rebalanced, though.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Elyv posted:

I haven't gotten a chance to play much, but I'm not sure "the computer is playing too well/aggressively" is a big problem. It's possible that dispelling global magics needs to be rebalanced, though.

It really does because having a global spell only last for 1 turn makes casting them pointless.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Splicer posted:

I was about to ask, is anyone using unit enchants? Having to give up not just an action, but your only spell action, means I'm not really touching them.

If a battle is going to be prolonged (Re: Sieges), I cast them on my more powerful units on turn one/two. They might not make as much of a difference as a hellfire or so, but it's enough of a difference to help early-mid game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Elyv posted:

In my goof around skirmish games, every single time I've ever cast a spell on the map with a duration it's been instantaneously dispelled by an AI the very next turn, without exception, dozens of times. Why waste the effort in casting them ever?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Elyv posted:

There is no point in using global spells if they get dispelled immediately. Yes, it does need to be rebalanced.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

While I completely 100% agree, some of these spells are genuinely game-ending if they aren't handled quickly

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Dispelling global spells should cost you a large chunk of mana and/or take multiple turns.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

It's super irritating that the ingame encyclopedia lists units, buildings, abilities, and techs in an alphabetical list instead of some sort of tech tree.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So far Elf Campaign 3 is going a lot smoother - it's the worst possible opponent for you but they're so generous with free cities. You're a goblin theocrat, that does blight(goblin) and spirit(theocrat) damage. They're a dwarf dreadnaught, with lots of machines that are immune to blight and spirit, as well as dwarf firstborn that are 60% resistant to blight and 100% resistant to spirit. Fortunately, I made my rogue hero learn sabotage and pumped her up with tons of defense/resists/passwall/projectile resistance, so she runs in and murders the gently caress out of steam tanks after I bait out a mortar shot on useless chaf mobs. Swarms of beetles/worg riders still hurt like hell, and exalted and zephyr birds are still great units. The main trick to winning this, it seems, is to rush a dwarf city - ideally the big one in the middle of the map. Once you get your OWN dwarven firstborn suddenly he's the one that's hosed - dwarven firstborn are immune to half of a steam tanks and all of a flame tanks damage, are tanky, and hit like a truck. Excellent for rushing in and taking them down, and then when you run into the human theocrat on the other side of him your dwarven firstborn are suddenly screwing his poor shrines of smiting over by being immune to everything they do. Then, you pair them with your main theocrat leader that can get a 10 point skill that auto-resurgences every single unit in his stack, so his squad of five firstborn will self-resurrect even if they die? Then you steamroll. The only real hard part is getting that first dwarven city and securing it long enough to start pumping out goblins, it's mostly a matter of splitting up and taking all the neutral goblin cities as quickly as possible with as few losses as possible, and then bunching up the free units, trying to get one high enough to pump out some worg riders/maybe beetles, and swarming the middle - all your free units give you a huge advantage if you rush.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Splicer posted:

I was about to ask, is anyone using unit enchants? Having to give up not just an action, but your only spell action, means I'm not really touching them.

It may seem underwhelming but it does pay off in medium sized fights. Starblades paid off more than once by putting them on archers to slow incoming enemies down and boy is putting static shield on a tanky dude worth it for the stun chances.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
What exactly carries over between levels of the campaign? I know items do, but should I be worried about milking every last drop of XP out of a level/permanently screwing my characters with suboptimal leveling decisions?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Reiterpallasch posted:

What exactly carries over between levels of the campaign? I know items do, but should I be worried about milking every last drop of XP out of a level/permanently screwing my characters with suboptimal leveling decisions?

Levels carry over, leveling decisions do not. You will start the next map with base stats and your level up points to redistribute.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not expecting any kind of official documentation on the editor because of the note on the steam page, but does anyone know of a wiki/forum/any fan-made documentation for it yet?

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

God drat the Hard AI is Battle for Wesnoth ruthless some times. A succubus just flew over my battleline, charmed one of the campaign must survive heroes and caused an instant game over. I love it!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Except it makes every form of fortification almost completely pointless (except the domain boost). Furthermore its not really clever because the AI just seems to beeline to any of your unoccupied city, even if they cannot tell if it is unoccupied.

In the second campaign level Lucian would send stacks of units from the far southeast of the map to go after the dragon lair to the northwest that I only had a single unit defending at. I sat there constantly pelting the doomstack with sunburst, they never made the trip. But that is a pretty solid call on the AI knowing things they shouldn't, no way he would of known I barely defended that place. Or maybe it was the AI being clever, cause it knew that the only thing that would make fighting his 40/40/20 doomstacks of flame tanks/cannons/knights not unbearable was by mass spamming fire dragons.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

boredsatellite posted:

It may seem underwhelming but it does pay off in medium sized fights. Starblades paid off more than once by putting them on archers to slow incoming enemies down and boy is putting static shield on a tanky dude worth it for the stun chances.

The defense spells feel really bad to use because the AI is smart enough to take them into account. That means putting a defense spell on something has the same result regardless of which one you use: The AI doesn't attack that unit because it knows that unit has a defense spell on it. They're all just "don't attack this" spells if you're playing against the AI.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I use them when I'm attacking really. Makes the retaliation suck for them. And if it means they are going to ignore the dude to go for other guys giving me easy flanks I'm very okay with this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bennyfranks posted:

I tried to win a game while staying Pure Good, but I don't think it's possible. Because the map is small and non-cylindrical, these two other Theocrats built up enough to block me off from the rest of the map by every route I can see. They both hate my guts and declared war on me the second they met me, then immediately demanded peace when they realized I could wreck their poo poo no problem I guess. They won't accept Alliances, though, so I can't pass through without declaring war from peace and eliminating one of their cities.

Is there a way to win the game without murdering everyone else and incurring Evil points?

You will incur evil points for starting wars with people, but you can get them back by just casting good aligned spells and stuff. Essentially it's OK to be a warmonger if you spend lots of mana on the environment or some bollocks like that. I'm not sure if this is biting social commentary or just coincidence.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Unit enchantments are very powerful in extended battles. Slow is downright insane for example, it's not resistable and it reduces a unit's movement by half for the entire battle. It basically kills any melee unit (since you can kite them forever) with no recourse for a measly 10 mana.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ojetor posted:

Unit enchantments are very powerful in extended battles. Slow is downright insane for example, it's not resistable and it reduces a unit's movement by half for the entire battle. It basically kills any melee unit (since you can kite them forever) with no recourse for a measly 10 mana.

There is at least one way to remove debuffs but yeah, unit enchants seem to be quite situational, but get better as the battle goes on, and as the unit you cast them on gets more powerful.

Edit: On an unrelated note, I was quite disappointed when 'create spelljammer' didn't do what I thought it did. It's cool and I like the ability, but I was hoping for an option to say 'gently caress you I'm going to space' with my dreadnaught.

Mind you, the ability itself has some interesting applications, it'd be cool if you could use the same spell mechanic to summon other things onto the map, like barriers to oppose unit movement or something, the game could use some way to get units to engage your defences more, as they tend to run around anything dangerous.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 2, 2014

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Never played AoW I or II, been looking at this for a while as it seems to be an amalgam of several games that I like, bought it, poo poo owns.

It's like the strategy game I've been waiting for my whole life.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Even though I won, a dreadnaught's final stand can be horrifying - a swarm of six steam tanks + some flame tanks is.. unpleasant, especially when his walls are surrounded by burning oil. Pretty much every single unit that was not immune to fire (or a hero standing back) died.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man, Chaos rift owns. A bunch of damage to multiple units plus another meat shield every turn? :getin:
It might be the reason I feel like playing the arch druid is like playing a poor man's Wizard (their spell only lasts 7 turns, doesn't do the extra damage, and doesn't darken the world by opeing a hole in time an space).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Can blight be removed without Creation magic? Red's starting position in the Caldera scenario starts you balls-deep in blight, and it sucks for morale.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
So does this support saves to the Steam cloud? I've logged in to a different PC, logged in with Triumph on startup, but no saves or progress is showing up

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is it just me or is the Shrine of Smiting extremely overpowered? My units including my tier 4 do almost no damage to it, yet it does around 30 damage a shot, has an extremely long range, and when you move into to try to melee, it just activates its AOE and just cuts everything in an extremely large radius to half health.

I just threw 2.5 stacks consisting mostly of t3/t4 units at a siege consisting of 3 of these shrines an orc priest, settler wagon, 2 cavalary. I won by the absolutely skin of my teeth.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 2, 2014

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

The Blind spell is preventing my leader from casting spells. That is unbelievably bad. Is the spell supposed to do that?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

UberJumper posted:

Is it just me or is the Shrine of Smiting extremely overpowered? My units including my tier 4 do almost no damage to it, yet it does around 30 damage a shot, has an extremely long range, and when you move into to try to melee, it just activates its AOE and just cuts everything in an extremely large radius to half health.

I find my firstborn completely demolish them, as do Exalted. They'll only really cast their AoE when there's a lot of units around them too, try getting them stuck somewhere or blocking them off. Or even casting slow on them!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Oh, awesome - the campaign is branching, like AoW1 - I just had a choice to stick with the High Elves or break off and do my own thing in mission 4, and one of my sorcerer hero disagreed with me left and I can apparently go attempt to recruit a dwarf dreadnought instead. Wonder how many missions this campaign is.
Unfortunately my sorcerer had godlike spells and several good items, so.. yeah. Oh well :v:.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Taear posted:

I find my firstborn completely demolish them, as do Exalted. They'll only really cast their AoE when there's a lot of units around them too, try getting them stuck somewhere or blocking them off. Or even casting slow on them!

Yeah they seem to have a minimum unit count to use their AoE blast, one or two units hopefully with Sabotage will wreck them, there are a couple good Spells for killing Mechanized Units as well.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Taear posted:

You can't target Firstborn at all with those because Firstborn have loving 100% spirit resistance.

It's still powerful as hell. I think the most fun moment was when I used the spell that makes you ignore distance and terrain negative stuff on them. I was besieging and still managed to snipe off the hero defending because the walls do nothing against noscope Shrines

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

boredsatellite posted:

You can't target Firstborn at all with those because Firstborn have loving 100% spirit resistance.

It's still powerful as hell. I think the most fun moment was when I used the spell that makes you ignore distance and terrain negative stuff on them. I was besieging and still managed to snipe off the hero defending because the walls do nothing against noscope Shrines

It makes being a Dwarf Theocrat pretty amazing, in all honesty. The people who are hardest to kill with my units are my own other units so I can shoot off AoEs left right and centre.
Plus having lots of little dwarf angels is pretty great.

Taear fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 2, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Dwarven Theocrat is terrifying. Firstborn gives no fucks and pushes onwards while in the back comes the shrines and flanking you are the exalted making your life miserable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

boredsatellite posted:

Dwarven Theocrat is terrifying. Firstborn gives no fucks and pushes onwards while in the back comes the shrines and flanking you are the exalted making your life miserable.

I didn't realise they had Resurgence until all my angels died in one fight and were suddenly back in the next, they're truly great units, especially backed up by some crusaders and an evangelist for a bit of healing.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Exactly the resurgence means you can recklessly use them for flanking as you'll get them back. A mobile dwarf is indeed a terrifying thing

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there a way to see quests you've been offered by independent cities? They don't appear in the "Quests" section of the Overview Panel (top left button) or in the Events Log.

e: I tried going in to the Diplomacy menu and initiating diplomacy with each independent city I've met but none of them have the "Tell me again about that quest?" option.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 2, 2014

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

A.C. posted:

Is there a way to see quests you've been offered by independent cities? They don't appear in the "Quests" section of the Overview Panel (top left button) or in the Events Log.

e: I tried going in to the Diplomacy menu and initiating diplomacy with each independent city I've met but none of them have the "Tell me again about that quest?" option.

They showed up in the overview panel for me. I think they're in the tab with the scenario objectives: "Don't get killed", "Kill the other dudes", etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Man I do hope the dispelling gets changed. As it is it's cheaper to dispel existing enemy magic than it is to cast your own, and the AI puts such a high priority on it, that by the endgame there's no more magic in the world than there is at the beginning. If dispelling was MORE casting point intensive than the spell you're trying to remove, then that would lead to a net increase in magic in the world over time. I'd like to see giant clashes of armies each under the effects of all sorts of crazy magic, but as it is you're lucky to keep a couple stay-happy-on-terrain X city spells up, let alone have a big domain booster like Conquerer's Feast last more than a single turn.

• Locked thread