Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

EvilCornbread posted:

I pressed my character against the hitbox of a boss and got no talk prompt so I started attacking. Why was he even in an attackable state? It's not like he was some blacksmith, he's a goddamn boss.

Doesn't seem to be a really common problem from most other players so... pony up to Cromwell, baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

EvilCornbread posted:

I pressed my character against the hitbox of a boss and got no talk prompt so I started attacking. Why was he even in an attackable state? It's not like he was some blacksmith, he's a goddamn boss.

He's an NPC, be more patient next time.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

EvilCornbread posted:

The Emerald Herald flat out tells you that he's welcoming you and that you needn't fight him. The talk prompt comes up when you're like half the arena away from him. I'm not sure why you thought it was a good idea to even attack the guy, really. Like, what did you think would happen? He'd just shrug off that Zweihander, act like he totally wasn't sleeping and that you're really important, and then start tal--er, actually, isn't this basically what Fraampt does?

...uh

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

He's an NPC, be more patient next time.

He's also a boss, a big dragon, just like all the other ones I just killed. I mean it's not THAT big a deal, I can grind some cooperation souls somewhere (is there somewhere that I'm likely to get quickly summoned over and over?), but bleh. Not sure why redemption even exists in the game.

(Also there's another boss that doesn't aggro you that you're supposed to start attacking, as far as I understand it)

quote:

The Emerald Herald flat out tells you that he's welcoming you and that you needn't fight him. The talk prompt comes up when you're like half the arena away from him. I'm not sure why you thought it was a good idea to even attack the guy, really. Like, what did you think would happen? He'd just shrug off that Zweihander, act like he totally wasn't sleeping and that you're really important, and then start tal--er, actually, isn't this basically what Fraampt does?

She does? Where? Last time I talked to her she was blathering about the King's ring. And I thought it'd start the fight, like it does with a bunch of other sleeping enemies (white knights, that basilisk in the cage, etc) -- it's not exactly some new mechanic.

EvilCornbread fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 2, 2014

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

EvilCornbread posted:

He's also a boss, a big dragon, just like all the other ones I just killed. I mean it's not THAT big a deal, I can grind some cooperation souls somewhere (is there somewhere that I'm likely to get quickly summoned over and over?), but bleh. Not sure why redemption even exists in the game.

(Also there's another boss that doesn't aggro you that you're supposed to start attacking, as far as I understand it)

Like was said, you're flat out told he's not an enemy and wants to talk to you. This game is sorta janky with NPC prompts, you shouldn't have resorted to attacking right away.

Does anyone else appreciate how appropriately easy Lucatiel is to murder as an NPC? She barely even tries.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

EvilCornbread posted:

She does? Where? Last time I talked to her she was blathering about the King's ring. And I thought it'd start the fight, like it does with a bunch of other sleeping enemies (white knights, that basilisk in the cage, etc) -- it's not exactly some new mechanic.

At the beginning of the Dragon Shrine she's standing on a cliff near the entrance. She mentions that the Dragon wishes to see you, etc. She also gives you an infinite homeward bone (feather) which is pretty rad.

I should mention that I was joking, I think it's understandable that you'd attack the thing if the prompt didn't show up right away, dude's pretty clearly a boss. It certainly wasn't an issue for me but Dark Souls is different for everyone. V:v:V

the only reason I didn't attack him is because I assumed he was a covenant leader, tbh

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

BlackFrost posted:

At the beginning of the Dragon Shrine she's standing on a cliff near the entrance. She mentions that the Dragon wishes to see you, etc. She also gives you an infinite homeward bone (feather) which is pretty rad.

I should mention that I was joking, I think it's understandable that you'd attack the thing if the prompt didn't show up right away, dude's pretty clearly a boss. It certainly wasn't an issue for me but Dark Souls is different for everyone. V:v:V

the only reason I didn't attack him is because I assumed he was a covenant leader, tbh

Wow, I never saw her there at all -- and I didn't attack her, honest! By the bonfire somewhere?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

God-damnit, Lucatiel. You have a shield, why don't you use it?

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

EvilCornbread posted:

Wow, I never saw her there at all -- and I didn't attack her, honest! By the bonfire somewhere?

If memory serves, right at the entrance you can head straight instead of heading left towards the bonfire. Straight ahead you'll find her. I'm not sure she'll still be there if you've already aggro'd the boss but I don't see why she'd disappear.

If she did disappear, and you really want that feather, you can kill her for it at least. :getin:

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)
so its from a couple of pages back, but is it true that it's JUST soul memory that determines who you invade/summon now?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
So did anyone else immediately start wailing on the Ancient Dragon's tail after talking to it?

This game doesn't even have tail weapons, but I can't not attack a dragon tail if it's sitting right in front of me.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Is there a good guide to stats so I can focus less on math and more on playing the game? Are there any stats I should avoid (like Resistence in DS1)? I'm thinking of the Paladin from this guide, but that's just a guess: http://segmentnext.com/2014/03/19/dark-souls-2-character-builds-guide-for-pvp-and-pve/

I started play as a Knight. I've also never used magic (besides Pyromancy) in DS1. I want to focus on melee, since the the melee in Dark Souls is so satisfying and I spent most of DS1 with a Claymore and an Eagle Shield.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Count Chocula posted:

Is there a good guide to stats so I can focus less on math and more on playing the game? Are there any stats I should avoid (like Resistence in DS1)? I'm thinking of the Paladin from this guide, but that's just a guess: http://segmentnext.com/2014/03/19/dark-souls-2-character-builds-guide-for-pvp-and-pve/

I started play as a Knight. I've also never used magic (besides Pyromancy) in DS1. I want to focus on melee, since the the melee in Dark Souls is so satisfying and I spent most of DS1 with a Claymore and an Eagle Shield.

Stats in DS2: Look at what they do to you when you level them up. Pick whatever you think is good/you need. Nothing is a joke/waste stat like resistance.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Stux posted:

Stats in DS2: Look at what they do to you when you level them up. Pick whatever you think is good/you need. Nothing is a joke/waste stat like resistance.

It helps that the interface in DkSII is a *lot* better and you always see what derived attributes are affected by a stat even when they're not leveling up at the moment. It's not perfect (I don't think the Souls games need the kind of obfuscated relationship with numbers they have now, where you can see them but you never quite know for sure how everything works), but it's a big step up, IMO.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Four invasions in a row and the host kills themselves off the bridge at the start of the level yet I don't get credit for the kill since I'm still standing up from the ground when it happens. Heinous.

Also: randomly invaded a player who constantly seemed to regenerate health to full every 3 seconds and did roughly 1000 damage in one hit with some fooseball before killing another phantom in two hits with melee. Welp

Spades fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 2, 2014

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Got the butterfly suit. Got two cestii. I have murdered so many people. I am a murderfly!

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

kirbyabc posted:

so its from a couple of pages back, but is it true that it's JUST soul memory that determines who you invade/summon now?

Ho boy, I can't wait until they scrap Soul Memory entirely.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Seems pretty brilliant they took one problem (soul level not factoring gear level) and came up with a solution that solves none of the problems and makes using your souls on anything other than levelling and weapon upgrades a waste because you end up fighting players with higher stats than you.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Boxn posted:

"but DARK SOULS xDDDD anyhting can kil me xD"
Yeah, they'll just be aggressive on anything because they probably think that there's little to no NPC's at all. They're probably the same people who wonder where to go and don't talk to any NPCs.

Before last night I'd have said this is a silly stance to take, because Dark Souls doesn't really have any cheap death traps that you couldn't see coming. Then I tried to walk across the bridge to Dragon Shrine :wtc:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Before last night I'd have said this is a silly stance to take, because Dark Souls doesn't really have any cheap death traps that you couldn't see coming. Then I tried to walk across the bridge to Dragon Shrine :wtc:

What's the deal with it? Nothing happened to me while going through it, and I was excited for the third dragon bridge fuckery in a row for the series :shrug:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you take too long crossing, a dragon lands on the bridge, which then snaps. For a second I was hoping it was going to be an Indiana Jones thing and I'd swing back into a new part of the aerie, but nope! Fall to your death :(

I really loved the scenery after leaving Aldia's keep, gave me some heavy Grandia vibes.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Is it possible to keep NPC summons alive during boss fights in NG+ or do they just get flattened?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Going into the Shrine of Amana with a Raw +10 Avelyn is the best thing ever. 2 shotting sorcerers all day!

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Spades posted:

Seems pretty brilliant they took one problem (soul level not factoring gear level) and came up with a solution that solves none of the problems and makes using your souls on anything other than levelling and weapon upgrades a waste because you end up fighting players with higher stats than you.

Upgraded weapons and spells are better than a few stat points in near every instance though?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Upgraded weapons and spells are better than a few stat points in near every instance though?

Well when a few stat points is 50 or 100 stat points it becomes a problem. This is in addition to them having upgraded equip. That said, I've never felt outclassed by sticking around sl150.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Renaissance Robot posted:

That only happens if you smash the dragon eggs in the area, and apparently the more you smash the less you get on the bridge before the dragon destroys it. I guess yeah you don't see it coming but it's amusing that they'll punish you for being a dick to the dragons.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
ok seriously gently caress megamule. I'm farming slabs in Drangleic Castle and get invaded all the time, most of the time by overleveled haveldads or some other lamers.

I mean, I'm using chameleon / flameswathe + dual avelyn build but I got it legit

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

So now that I've gotten 2 chars up to pvp snuff I can feel I don't even want to bother with melee characters, magic is too good, though I feel miracles are a bit weaker than sorceries in pvp which is ok since pve is reversed. My caster runs dark fog, soul spear, soul greatsword, soul geyser, forbidden sun and chaos flame pillars at 43 att. (50 int) It's a nightmare to deal with and being poked out by crappy ol dex builds around the soul greatsword feels like my only weakness. I typically only have to use the pyromancy against fast builds.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

What's the level cap for doing co-op? I think I might have screwed myself by grinding too much. I'm level 101 and i'm not seeing other players soapstones or being summoned anymore. I'm getting my rear end kicked by the Sinners Rise boss and I could use some help. I will leave a soapstone and go do other things and 30 minutes will go by and nobody has summoned me.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

ChocNitty posted:

What's the level cap for doing co-op? I think I might have screwed myself by grinding too much. I'm level 101 and i'm not seeing other players soapstones or being summoned anymore. I'm getting my rear end kicked by the Sinners Rise boss and I could use some help. I will leave a soapstone and go do other things and 30 minutes will go by and nobody has summoned me.

101 is pretty high for that area, yeah.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

Undead Crypt is no fun at all. The sorcerers, the seemingly endless minion spawns, the traps, the lovely boss... also, I dunno what just happened. I beat Velstadt, barely - shoutouts to the two players I summoned who sacrificed themselves so I could get off the last hit - and then I saw a big shambling dude just past him. I was a little nervous since even with the shortcut, I'd still have to deal with the absurd enemy gauntlet.

So I tried hucking a Sunlight Spear.

A fog gate then went up, blocking me from going out there and getting whatever that item was. The hell just happened? I've not seen that before in a Souls game. Very confused. Is that thing out there passive unless you attack, and now the game considers it a proper boss fight? That's stupid. This area is stupid.

E: That boss was stupid, too! You barely have to do anything!

lol at everything in this post

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Are there any known good break points for Adaptability yet or is it purely a case of personal taste? I'm just wondering if I should bump it up to 15 from 10 to see if I get any appreciable returns or if I would be best served getting attunement up to get some more spell slots or something.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

GruntyThrst posted:

Is it possible to keep NPC summons alive during boss fights in NG+ or do they just get flattened?

I managed to keep Lucatiel alive for NG+ Flexile Sentry without any additional help. Just laid into him with my caestus' after focusing down the minions, it ended up being a bit of a damage race in the end, but it probably wouldn't be too hard with help. Still pretty wary of the inevitable smelter demon situation, though.

Speaking of this, where all can Bernhart be summoned? I think I saw on a wiki that it was just Giant Lord, Prowling Magus, and Throne guys and/or Final boss, but I also remember people earlier in the thread mulling over one or more of those not having counted for them.

Aurain posted:

Are there any known good break points for Adaptability yet or is it purely a case of personal taste. I'm just wondering if I should bump it up to 15 from 10 to see if I get any appreciable returns or if I would be best served getting attunement up to get some more spell slots or something.

I don't know the ADP numbers, but having your agility end between 100-110 is a good place to be, so I suppose get whatever puts you there if you want to roll better, be it through attunement or adaptability, though the later boosts it faster if you want quicker AGI gains for fewer souls.

Raizor fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 2, 2014

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Genocyber posted:

No, it's lag.

Eh, I dunknow. Even offline the hitboxes on some attacks are a bit iffy. It's really obvious with stabbing attacks as you'll move to the side, and somehow get hit still even though whatever is hitting you easily missed. It sticks out really badly in Heide's because both bosses are pretty stab-happy due to their weapons of choice. Obviously no game has pixel-perfect hit detection, but it's a bit annoying to see a visible gap between your character and what supposedly stabbed them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Raizor posted:

I don't know the ADP numbers, but having your agility end between 100-110 is a good place to be, so I suppose get whatever puts you there if you want to roll better, be it through attunement or adaptability, though the later boosts it faster if you want quicker AGI gains for fewer souls.

Okay, thanks dude.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I put hundreds of hours into the first Dark Souls, but I think the Amana Shrine has sapped any desire I have to play anymore. Trying to kill those 2 spell casters in the open as a low hit point wizard is beyond frustrating. The one time I got past them I went over to the little ledge to grab the treasure, and the NPC I summoned ended up pushing me off the edge into the water.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I put hundreds of hours into the first Dark Souls, but I think the Amana Shrine has sapped any desire I have to play anymore. Trying to kill those 2 spell casters in the open as a low hit point wizard is beyond frustrating. The one time I got past them I went over to the little ledge to grab the treasure, and the NPC I summoned ended up pushing me off the edge into the water.

Invest a few points into str and Grab a gold magic shield and infuse it. Helps a lot.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

More megamule testing: I can put down a red summon sign in Belfry Luna and I get a lot of bites. Soul memory is 300k, but I'm max level with Max stats and fast rolling in havels and I see lower level people and bellbros.

I think at least in NG, soul memory is the main factor for matches. I also use cracked red eye orbs (as level 838 mind you) and saw lots of invasions succeed.

Say what you will but megamules are even more hosed up in DS2. You max out your stats, munch on some souls to bring yourself into an invasion range and invade or be invaded. Hell you can invade people in fofg with Max stats. At least in DS1, megamules was more of a shortcut and making a PvP build with it made you match up with similar PvP builds. (I confess, I made a level 9 dick wraith legitimately with a +5 fire bandit knife and Pyromancy got me through a lot of bosses to help gather my stuff, but I couldn't do low level invasions like I can in DS2 with fast rolling havels, chime of want and great respondent soul which one shots everyone. It's disgusting)

Also you can still coop. People are really going to break this game with megamules since they can interact with legitimate players while having maxed out stats and inventory but help you kill the pursuer. It's going to feel very cheap if you summon a guy for smelter demon and he just destroys it in two lightning bolts or something. And you know he shouldn't be that strong at your soul memory range.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

:siren: USE. A. BOW.:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah, sadly it seems soul memory is a terrible idea. The only thing they can do now is add server side sanity checks. Like having at least as many souls in soul memory that your SL needs.

• Locked thread