Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

quote:

Way of Blue sucks
It sure does, and totally needs a complete revamp to be worthwhile outside the "newbie" phase. Blue Sentinels are stuck not actually getting to do the fun stuff -- being a bodyguard for a clueless, borderline suicidal apostle. Invading sinners and "sparring matches" are all well and good but these things aren't exactly specific to that covenant (anyone can use cracked red-eye orbs, and BoBs get an arena too) I'd love to continue being a Sentinel, if there was anyone to actually try protecting outside the SL//SM 1~70//0~500k range since they all left for the greener pastures of literally any other covenant in the game.

Might be better if it got lore-linked to some sort of life-giving potential, and making the covenant ring stronger based on standing, giving much more HP (to help them survive the vicious attacks from blood brothers long enough to call for help you see).

I could see something like:
Rank 0: +100 HP
Rank 1: +250 HP
Rank 2: +400 HP
Rank 3: +700~1000 HP

I could see something similar to this being a thing that could work, but only if the user is in the covenant. It would make it worthwhile all throughout the game and not just a marginally better Life Ring with the chance of summoning a protector on the off-chance they get invaded (maybe start punishing those megamules...). Those values are just throwaway suggestions, but the idea of a covenant ring that grants higher HP bonuses as rank increases...done right, mind you, since buffing HP too much could be too powerful in a game like Souls, but buffing too little makes it worthless compared to the benefits other rings provide, could actually be a really nice thing. Really though, the idea is to make it viable for all players aside from those just starting out or the scarce few who remain in the covenant for flavor reasons.

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

I really like the idea of just getting a ring that will summon Blue Bros for you, regardless of what covenant you are in.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Donald Kimball posted:

I really like the idea of just getting a ring that will summon Blue Bros for you, regardless of what covenant you are in.

I do too. Perhaps only if you have no sin yourself though?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Apparition posted:

Is there any benefit to imbuing your catalyst/chime?

Absolutely, I've noticed a pretty big difference on my lightning chime vs non lightning, but the drawback is that it restricts you to effectively using only one school of magic with that weapon. You can infuse dark on a good hexing chime to boost it, and lightning on a good miracle chime, or leave it as is on a balanced one. same applies with staves and magic/dark infusions.

Tracula posted:

I do too. Perhaps only if you have no sin yourself though?
Or one better, have it up your priority for blue phantoms to invade you if you do have sin, which would be fun if you're into that.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 2, 2014

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I think someone said that there's not really a trick to getting to the items on molten rocks in Iron Keep, other than just using all fire protection stuff you can get.

After trying putting on Fire Quartz Ring +1 and half the Alonne Captain set, using both Flash Sweat and an Orange Burr, and rolling in a water pool beforehand, I have to call bullshit. I'm still not even outliving the chest opening animation before going up in flames, even with the one nearer to safe ground.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The orange burr cancels flash sweat. I learned this the hard way.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Help Im Alive posted:

Did you kill Throne Watcher/Defender earlier in the game? I think you're supposed to fight them and then the final boss in a row but most people have already killed the Throne guys by the time they reach the end. I think it might be better if they locked you out of that fight or something so you're forced to fight two bosses in a row, right now it's just really underwhelming.

Well, if you don't know that you can destroy her cursed orbs or whatever they are it can be a real difficult fight for builds who rely on close ranged combat. I didn't know that so... I basically cheesed her with my Dragonrider Bow from far away, her ranged attacks are even easier to dodge that her close-range ones.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

BioMe posted:

I think someone said that there's not really a trick to getting to the items on molten rocks in Iron Keep, other than just using all fire protection stuff you can get.

After trying putting on Fire Quartz Ring +1 and half the Alonne Captain set, using both Flash Sweat and an Orange Burr, and rolling in a water pool beforehand, I have to call bullshit. I'm still not even outliving the chest opening animation before going up in flames, even with the one nearer to safe ground.

IIRC apply Flash Sweat last, I think someone mentioned it gets overridden by other effects, but it doesn't override others. I had a resistance of 1020 and Resplendent life active, so it was probably the miracle that made me take no damage from my experience. Be careful though, your gear can break.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Shardix posted:

It will strengthen relevant magics. Say you imbue a chime with lightning; your lightning miracles will hit harder.

So a imbuing a catalyst with magic will strengthen all sorceries, except hexes? Pretty rad.

Does leveling the item up do the same as well? As far as I knew it made no difference in DS1.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Lotish posted:

Oh really? I missed on that. So for the cost of one ascetic you can get five (1 in Jeigh, 1 in Vammar, 3 in Orro)? Wow.

Thinking about this again, the 3 ascetics in the Memory of Orro probably don’t respawn when you ascetic the area because I think they’re in a steel chest. (Not 100% sure, I’ll test it out later). Still worth grabbing first time through though.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

So apparently I maxed out my bellbro devotion. What's a fun gimmicky strategy for hidden weapon? most I could think of is hide a greatsword to keep your opponent guessing about your range.

Saber cosPvP with a Moonlight Greatsword.

You could also try playing about with weapons with very different ranges or very different movesets. Like say a twinblade and a large club, but I'm not sure how viable that would really be.

quote:

Way of Blue sucks

Blue protectors are a nice idea, but in practice it has too many moving parts and restrictions. And a huge part of the problem is that there doesn’t seem to be any point to being in the Way of the Blue - the rewards suck, you don’t get to do anything cool or interesting and even when you get invaded rushing back to summon co-op phantoms sounds way more reliable than hoping a Blue Sentinel turns up. Also I’m not sure if Way of the Blue has lower invasion priority to start with, when I was ranking up that covenant it seemed like it took longer to get invaded but that might just be me imagining it (and invasions are always random anyway). If you could get protectors whilst still getting fun stuff that would be fine, but as it is there's basically no reason to be in that covenant unless you're a complete newbie and in that case it probably won't help anyway.

If they ditched the Way of Blue covenant and allowed anybody to wear a ring that gave +3% life and (reliably) auto-summoned Blue Sentinels against invaders then that could work.

The only other thing is that blue invasions seem way more common than red invasions and don’t summon protectors. I’m not entirely sure why this is, well I have a couple of guesses but still it seems weird. Possibilities-

1) People are more interested in Wrath of the Gods than Greater Chaos Fireball.
2) Some people might like invading, but not like getting invaded themselves so they go for blue invasions which don’t earn sin (so then they can’t be invaded by blues, just reds).
3) Some people might like invading, but not like the idea of Blue Sentinel protectors interfering (however unlikely the odds may be), so they go for blue invasions instead.
4) Cracked blue orbs seem to drop more frequently than cracked red orbs. Just from standard play I ended up with a lot more blue orbs than reds, which only got exacerbated when I genocided Heide’s to invasion farm there.
5) Some people might like dicking people over, but might be more comfortable doing it to the ‘guilty’ rather than just anyone. ?
6) Maybe blue invasions take priority over red invasions. Which sounds like an okay idea if sin was only earned by carrying out invasions (increased PvP for PvP players), but it’s kinda dumb when the easiest way to earn sin is killing NPCs (which is more Fashion Souls and OCD-Souls than anything else).

I do like the idea of a covenant ring that powers up with rank but IMO a flat 500-1000 HP at max is way OP. That's equivalent to how many points of VIG?

Also I’m wondering a couple of things with ranged weapons.
- For a souped mundane Avelyn is it better to go with Heavy Bolts or Elemental Bolts? I’m not sure on the relationship between phys damage on the weapon and elemental damage on the projectile. Or is elemental worth considering over mundane?
- For a shortbow using poison arrows how much of a difference does a poison infusion on the weapon make? Though I’ll probably infuse it anyway, but wasn't sure how much it did.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Apparition posted:

So a imbuing a catalyst with magic will strengthen all sorceries, except hexes? Pretty rad.

Does leveling the item up do the same as well? As far as I knew it made no difference in DS1.

yup, levelling your catalyst/chime is very important in 2

I think I'm gonna go get a full stack of corrosive urns. It should make a good gounter to any havel nerds I come across while pvp'ing. Plus if you're using havels, you probably deserve to have it broken along with your rings. does anyone know about how many hits it takes to break armor?

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 2, 2014

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

BioMe posted:

Try this instead. Equip Silvercat Ring and any other fall damage gear first, then equip any fire resist gear. Lower the platform so you can to the water pots, roll into the pots to douse yourself in water, Flash Sweat, and do a running jump from the scaffolding towards the chest. Run to the chest, chug several Estus, and open chest.

Iirc I had 240 fire resist when I did it, no Captain set or Orange Burr.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Elite posted:

Thinking about this again, the 3 ascetics in the Memory of Orro probably don’t respawn when you ascetic the area because I think they’re in a steel chest. (Not 100% sure, I’ll test it out later). Still worth grabbing first time through though.

Yeah I found that the ones in the steel chest do not respawn, but anything on a corpse or wooden chest does. So you can always get two ascetics, two twinklings, one petrified something and a bunch of other things I can't remember (giant's club) every time you bonfire the memories. If you want to get phantom help to distract the giant lord, you do have to go back to the other memories. I don't think you even have to talk to those guys, because I'd talk to Benhart but Drummond would be there too--you just can't go straight from bonfiring to Jeigh and get phantom help.

Do you have to kill the boss to use more ascetics or can you dash in, grab the goods, and then bonfire ad nauseum?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs posted:

So I'm nearing what I assume to be the midpoint of the game and still no spiders to be found. I'm getting nervous that the game is going to pull a bait and switch on me and have there be regular-rear end dudes and suddenly HUGE SPIDERS DEVOURING YOUR FACE.

I am not ready for the spiders Dark Souls 2 thread :negative:

Quoting this to say I WAS RIGHT AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH :stonk:

edit: JUST FOUGHT THE BOSS OF THE AREA AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 2, 2014

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Elite posted:

Also I’m wondering a couple of things with ranged weapons.
- For a souped mundane Avelyn is it better to go with Heavy Bolts or Elemental Bolts? I’m not sure on the relationship between phys damage on the weapon and elemental damage on the projectile. Or is elemental worth considering over mundane?
- For a shortbow using poison arrows how much of a difference does a poison infusion on the weapon make? Though I’ll probably infuse it anyway, but wasn't sure how much it did.

Heavy Bolts for mundane, because mundane is all physical. If you have high brain-stats and enchant it to be a Fire weapon, then you're best off with fire bolts.

If you equip the weapon and press Triangle to see all your net stats on the choose-an-infusion menu, you can see the end result of your infusion + its scaling, to see if mundane will actually be better.

The (Damage - Armor) formula is close to linear. And each type of damage gets checked against its corresponding armor type. As in, if you do 80 physical / 60 fire damage on a hit, and they have 50/50 armor, they're going to take about (30+10) damage. If you do just 110 physical damage, then you're going to hit for about 60 damage. So, even though your total sum of damage would be higher with an elemental weapon, you're going to do more actual damage against most targets with just one damage type, due to the way defenses get split. There's some fudging and percentaging, but the gist of it is, adding a piddly amount of fire damage (such as from a fire bolt on a physical-only weapon) will get ignored by anyone with piddly-or-greater fire defense. Fire bolt on a Fire Crossbow, used by someone with a good fire damage modifier, will probably hit harder than a normal one unless you're hitting something with exceptional fire defense.

edit: Elemental arrows also have non-damage benefits. Fire arrows(bolts, whatever) will ignite flammable things in the environment. There are a lot of powder kegs and pools of oil scattered around. Like, in The Black Gulch those dark pools with grabbing hand monsters are flammable. One fire arrow will light them up, and anything lurking inside burns to death. And Dark Ammo, like Dark magicks, drains stamina from whatever it hits.

You cannot put a poison infusion on any bow I've found.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 2, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

I think having the Way of Blue covenant is fine, but Blue Sentinels should aid for anyone, WoB members just have a higher priority, while WoB players wearing the ring have the highest priority.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Yes! Finally found where the Hell the Black Knight Greataxe is! I can finally get started on my Labrys 2.0 build!

As soon and I find the right looking armor...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Quoting this to say I WAS RIGHT AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH :stonk:

edit: JUST FOUGHT THE BOSS OF THE AREA AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Be sure to light a torch and check out the ceiling of Freja's arena.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Yes! Finally found where the Hell the Black Knight Greataxe is! I can finally get started on my Labrys 2.0 build!

As soon and I find the right looking armor...

Why not use the Gyrm Greataxe? The colors match better too.
Do you know of any type of armor that would be good for a Cirno build?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Lotish posted:

Yeah I found that the ones in the steel chest do not respawn, but anything on a corpse or wooden chest does. So you can always get two ascetics, two twinklings, one petrified something and a bunch of other things I can't remember (giant's club) every time you bonfire the memories. If you want to get phantom help to distract the giant lord, you do have to go back to the other memories. I don't think you even have to talk to those guys, because I'd talk to Benhart but Drummond would be there too--you just can't go straight from bonfiring to Jeigh and get phantom help.

Do you have to kill the boss to use more ascetics or can you dash in, grab the goods, and then bonfire ad nauseum?

You have to kill the Giant Lord each time but he is so laughably easy it doesn't matter. Just stand on the platform next to him, he can only hit you with the overhand slash which is telegraphed a mile away and easily dodgeable.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
The Embedded Key has kind of a unique animation on its 2H R1 and R2 where you'll point the weapon forward after your swing like a thrust. It doesn't seem to count as a second hit so it's just a bit of a useless flourish, but it looks cool and I wonder if there's an actual useful weapon that has the same thing.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Boxn posted:

Moonlight Butterfly, no doubt.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bigass Moth posted:

You have to kill the Giant Lord each time but he is so laughably easy it doesn't matter. Just stand on the platform next to him, he can only hit you with the overhand slash which is telegraphed a mile away and easily dodgeable.

Which is super easy if you bring a phantom to distract him, assuming you don't care if the phantom dies because he will because all NPC phantoms are Pvt Pyle level gently caress-ups.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Have you played Dragon's Dogma?

That poo poo was majestic. :allears:

I have a feeling I should be playing Dragon's Dogma. Avoided that game so far, because I only heard bad things about it (NPC companions being dumb as a brick AND never shutting up, etc.), but if they have boss battles worthy of an awesome dragon...

That being said - where are my next-gen bosses, videogame developers? You'd think more complex creatures would be possible now. Like, centipedes or snakes, which have movement entirely different from a "static" creature. Or amorphous beings. Or bosses that wreck the environment and use it to attack, as opposed to purely "self-contained" or scripted attacks. Or a literal swarm of enemies, where each hit makes so many numbers pop up, and after every hit you can see gaping holes in the swarm where you hit...
I can see how these concepts are insanely challenging, but, drat, who needs fancy-pants graphics when you can have stuff like that? Instead, the boss fights get more conservative with every game. Something's going wrong, here.

Of course, if I stumble across these kind of things in Dragon's Dogma, I owe this thread another super-special Thank You :allears:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Boxn posted:

Well, I used the BKGA in 1 for the build, and the GYRM Greataxe doesn't really feel long enough to be Labry's axe.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 2, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

tractor fanatic posted:

The Embedded Key has kind of a unique animation on its 2H R1 and R2 where you'll point the weapon forward after your swing like a thrust. It doesn't seem to count as a second hit so it's just a bit of a useless flourish, but it looks cool and I wonder if there's an actual useful weapon that has the same thing.

a lot of quality greatswords do this. Dangleic, and Mirrah greatswords should have similar movesets. There are a bunch.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'll agree that most of the phantoms of useless pieces of poo poo, save for Ashen knight Boyd and Pillgrim bellclaire. Boyd tanked Freja for me like he was bored, and I've seen (never summoned) Bellclaire do some solid damage with sorceries at the Sentinel fight.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Elite posted:

In my experience elemental bolts do more damage overall, no matter what.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

NotAnArtist posted:

I'll agree that most of the phantoms of useless pieces of poo poo, save for Ashen knight Boyd and Pillgrim bellclaire. Boyd tanked Freja for me like he was bored, and I've seen (never summoned) Bellclaire do some solid damage with sorceries at the Sentinel fight.

Jester Thomas would like a word with you.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
The phantom outside Dragonrider's room is pretty good too but that boss is easy enough already.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Worldwide Panther posted:

Jester Thomas would like a word with you.

I've never seen his summon, only heard people talk about this npc

Edit: the dragonrider is a putz. I've never had an issue with him as a caster or as my tanky knight, and I'm a pretty mediocre player. I had a player kite me from my sig for the old dragonslayer fight to dragonrider's arena :psyduck:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 2, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Worldwide Panther posted:

Moonlight Butterfly, no doubt.

No good man, doesn't fit with her color scheme, wings don't fit her at all, c'mon son :colbert:
My autism won't settle down until I find something good for a Cirno build. What sucks is that Soul Spear and the like would be nice for her Spell Cards, but they require intelligence :(

Flytrap posted:

Well, I used the BKGA in 1 for the build, and the GYRM Greataxe doesn't really feel long enough to be Labry's axe.

I guess that's true. Would the open Knight Helm be fine for Labrys normally, while the Elite Knight Helm be for Orgia mode/Red Tearstone ring?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So apparently the Painting Guardian set has been changed. In Dark Souls, if you wore heavy gauntlets like Havel's with the set it rolled up the sleeves and looked cool. Now, the sleeves stay the same size and it just slims the gauntlets down. Lame.

Also, gonna put a cosPvP set together. What seems reasonable for a Painting Guardian? I've got the full set and two swords, so all I can think of to go along with it is throwing knives but I'm thinking I should probably bring some miracles along...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

NotAnArtist posted:

I've never seen his summon, only heard people talk about this npc

Edit: the dragonrider is a putz. I've never had an issue with him as a caster or as my tanky knight, and I'm a pretty mediocre player. I had a player kite me from my sig for the old dragonslayer fight to dragonrider's arena :psyduck:

Jester Thomas is like the guys who used Pyromancies with an Ascended Pyro +5 at DkS 1 release but instead of invading you and hammering you for daring to face them, he just kills his boss like it's a regular hollow.

He's like Tarkus but reliable.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Boxn posted:

No good man, doesn't fit with her color scheme, wings don't fit her at all, c'mon son :colbert:
My autism won't settle down until I find something good for a Cirno build. What sucks is that Soul Spear and the like would be nice for her Spell Cards, but they require intelligence :(

I guess that's true. Would the open Knight Helm be fine for Labrys normally, while the Elite Knight Helm be for Orgia mode/Red Tearstone ring?

I don't think she has an Orgia mode, though it probably would be the closest to her momentum axe.

Really, right now I'm just looking for some good red gauntlets, a white shirt, and some silver leggings. Can probably get the white shirt from the dudes in the lab thing, and just about any normal armor could work for the legs. Not sure where to find red gauntlets though. Last time I used the Painting Guardian body, Knight legs, and Lautrec hands.

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012
How do you infuse weapons? I've got a load of Poison Stones that I want to use but I can't work out how to actually infuse them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kick_the_penguin posted:

How do you infuse weapons? I've got a load of Poison Stones that I want to use but I can't work out how to actually infuse them.

Get the Dull Ember from Iron Keep. Give it to the smith at McDuff's in Bastille. If he doesn't move from the chest, light the sconce in his room.

e: The dull ember is on that dodgy looking jump you can get from if you run opposite the Smelter Demon's boss room.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 2, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

kick_the_penguin posted:

You need to get an Ember from the Iron Keep and give it to the Blacksmith behind the explodable wall in the Lost Bastille. Once he has that, he'll do infusions for you.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Have we figured out if the Blue Sentinel/BoB duel/invasion losses count AGAINST your rank up? I've heard different opinions.

Also if you're going str/faith or dex/faith is it ALWAYS smart to infuse your weapon with Lightning since it'll get the faith damage bonus? I'm still not 100% sure what the best way to infuse stuff is. On one hand, you'd get a pretty decent lightning bonus. On the other hand, you'll do split damage and it won't be as ideal. I guess maybe if you use Sunlight Blade on it you should go Lightning....

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo the ratbros have it easy. No skill? No problem, just spam healing crystals and let the mastodons do the job for you.

• Locked thread