Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

HydroSphere posted:

Is there any reason why Kuzuryuu is so hostile to Monomi? It's really standing out in this case, where he's dialled back his attitude with everyone else.

I'm pretty sure he thinks Monomi is on Monobear's side. I think he even said so at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

HydroSphere posted:

What exactly is Hinata referring to with thinking that he hopes the after effects of Akane's fever stay around a little longer?

I think he's just creeped out by her normal aggressiveness and would like it if she were a little more meek, although perhaps not so much as when she was suffering from the fever.

Anyway, I don't believe despair fever was ever really contagious, or possibly even a disease at all. Monobear probably just "infected" whatever three victims he felt would create the most havoc and then lied to the others to make them paranoid and give them another motive to kill. It's possible he would've extended the condition to someone else if enough time passed without any killings, but it never came to that. And then he mysteriously removes it from the survivors.

I'm still thinking about the whole purpose of disguising the time of death. I was thinking at first it was to set up an alibi for the killer, to show that they were somewhere else at the apparent time of Mioda's death. But that wouldn't have worked in the first place, since the killer would by necessity be alone to put on that little performance, unless they had an accomplice. But I can't think of anyone who would willingly sacrifice themselves to aid in a murder, other than Komaeda, and he was out of commission and at any rate seems rather opposed to this particular killing.

Tsumiki and Kuzuryuu had access to the hospital, but really, so did everyone else. It's not like the doors are locked. They're just staying away to avoid despair fever, but someone could just ignore that risk and go for it anyway. Tsumiki is probably the one that could move about in there best without arousing suspicion, so I guess that's one point in favor of her as culprit. On the other hand, this crime involved trips to the supermarket to get rope and club curtain, and she didn't leave the hospital at all the day before the murder (though Kuzuryuu did). Hardly helps though, since she could've just done all the work during the night.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Someone's probably pointed this out about Sonia's name already, but Alexandander Nevermind was a pseudonym used by Prince.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
While the evidence is stacking up against Mikan, yet again, I would like the game to answer, or at least openly discount some of the things I've been noticing. Like... does it strike anybody else as odd that Saionji was locked up in her room, pushed for the quarantine, and worst of all pushed for the invalids to kill themselves, wrapped up in paranoia...and then Sonia claims she caught Saionji, with her door unlocked, trying in vain to dress herself? I don't want to get caught up in some anime/manga bullshit discussion about walking in on someone, but... her door was unlocked while she was tying on her kimono and someone waltzed in. This isn't like the circumstantial tidbit from the last case (Sonia being later to her own party being suspicious, etc.), there's some honest suspicion here.

Okay, yes, Mikan probably did it. Nagito emphasized her autopsy claims, the conference room and the missing gowns in the hospital are all looking pretty damning, but there's alot of circumstantial evidence and an agonizingly tight time frame for *one person* to have pulled all of this off in not only the night prior, but during the morning's panic.

Why would Sonia incriminate herself, potentially, by saying it was her who brought up the Music Club mirror is a valid question, but... at the moment, you either have the scenario that with one night to act, Mikan did all of this bamboozling to throw off the events of a calculated murder AND an impromptu one, or that someone or someones plotted this a few days ahead as well as set it all up.

I don't have a hedged bet going in on this; it could be Mikan, but I hope an honest to God curve is thrown into this and there's at least discussion that cuts through these suspicions rather than leaving red-herrings from the case unaddressed like last time. ...Or that I stop following wrongly inferred trails here...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Baron La Croix posted:

Someone's probably pointed this out about Sonia's name already, but Alexandander Nevermind was a pseudonym used by Prince.

It's just a nirvana reference man

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Hey oren, not to be anal retentive but you haven't updated the OP with the latest update.

iw
Oct 26, 2004

To me, this case comes down to three key areas:

1. Was the video Hinata saw video taped or acted live?

It's pretty clear that the killer was in fact in the hospital during Hinata's viewing: the matching black curtains, the dark room is way too coincidental, and the camera was not in the music hall when Hinata arrived. But if the killer indeed acted out the murder live, that means they would need an accomplice to cut the light source. That would mean Komaeda is involved, since he's the only crazy idiot we know that might agree to helping someone out (Ibuki was already dead), and then keep quiet during the investigation. And it would mean Tsumiki is the culprit, since she's the only one with access to Komaeda.

Otherwise, the only other possibility is that the culprit acquired another method of video recording and simply hooked it up to the projector in the conference room. Or it means Souda is lying (unlikely). Or it means that this game is gonna piss me off and come up with an elaborate way of cutting the lights in a live recording. Someone mentioned that the projector isn't an evidence bullet, but nothing in the Conference Room is, either.

2. Was Saionji found accidentally or lured to the music hall?

If her murder was planned, Sonia might as well have just admitted to the crime. If it was an accident, it completely eliminates her as a suspect.

There doesn't seem to have been signs of a struggle, which makes me think Saionji didn't see poo poo: Saionji loves to scream, and she loves to run. But, nevertheless, there's a possibility that she came upon the murder scene while it was being set up, and whoever was using Ibuki probably told her to restrain her; blood gets on the stage and on her slipper.

But then, where did the killer get the weapon? If Saionji was a surprise, the killer must have had the weapon on them; there isn't anything in the club that could cause that kind of injury. Maybe Tsumiki decided to carry a scalpel, but if she isn't expecting to be caught, why?

3. What was the motive behind Monobear's movie?

This is another point against the "Saionji in the wrong place at the wrong time" theory -- the methods of murder are far too specific to the movie for it to be a coincidence. If the culprit set up Ibuki's murder this way, they set up Saionji's murder this way.

What does the content of the movie have to do with a motive?

Tsumiki: Zip. I cannot think of anything. She's not a wizard, nor is she the tin man. Nothing in the movie has to do with her.
Souda: He's the tin man. Monobear might have it in his stupid head that unless he recreates the first two murders, he's next.
Sonia:

quote:

...And when he did, he took over her kingdom.
She was protecting her kingdom. None of the rest of the video matters; the key here is the implication that Monobear has taken her kingdom over. She would want to get out as badly as Sayaka did (from DR1). The murders were just done up to make people think that the method of murder had anything to do with anything (misdirection), or to please Monobear, or send him a signal that she's not to be trifled with.

And it's at this point I'm leaning towards Sonia. And it's because it answers the biggest question on everyone's mind: why was this whole thing so complex? Why do the times of death matter? Two reasons:

1. Saionji has to be lured out of her room somehow. If Sonia can convince everyone that Saionji was killed after Hinata found Ibuki, or even killed after Ibuki, it provides Sonia an alibi.
2. Frame Tsumiki. Broadcasting the video from the hospital. Killing Saionji with a scalpel. Turning up the heat to confuse the times of death. The missing hospital gown. The whole elaborate thing muddies the water, and gives enough evidence against Tsumiki that it's likely she'll be accused.

But it's all no problem to someone very familiar with murder mysteries. Turning up the heat, creating diversions, and even creating a pointless "locked room" scenario. And all of this trickery is very reminiscent of the Celes murders in the first game.

I think Souda is out: there's no real evidence in his favor, just the possibility that he might have done it.

Which leaves two more stray reasons against Tsumiki:
  • She would've had to bring the camera with her from the conference room. Surely Kuzuryuu would've seen it?
  • She probably would've had to enlist Komaeda's help; surely she wouldn't have trusted him to keep her murder a secret?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Out of curiosity do we have an evidence bullet for Saionji originally being locked in her room?

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Out of curiosity do we have an evidence bullet for Saionji originally being locked in her room?

Nah, all we have is testimony from everyone on the motel-side. Not that we really need an evidence bullet for it; they're more for contradicting existing scenarios and opening up new ones. I can't see how re-affirming that she was originally in her room brings anything new to the table.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sonia has barely had any screen time this chapter and how the hell would she have set up the fake room in the hospital? The idea that it's more logical for Sonia to have snuck into the hospital, set all this up without being noticed, kidnapped Ibuki, and snuck out as opposed to it being either of the suspects in the hospital is pretty out there. It takes the already strained timeline and adds bunches extra to it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well in fairness Ibuki will go anywhere you tell her to go.

e: :doh: Wait a second... Are you guys pondering what I'm pondering?

What if Ibuki has a part in this? Helping set stuff up?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 29, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well in fairness Ibuki will go anywhere you tell her to go.

e: :doh: Wait a second... Are you guys pondering what I'm pondering?

What if Ibuki has a part in this? Helping set stuff up?

I'm almost certain Ibuki was an accomplice.

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

I'm almost certain Ibuki was an accomplice.

While I agree that the killer probably had Ibuki help her set things up, I think that she was oblivious to the intended murder aspect of what was going on.

Or at least that's what I think makes the most sense, since my theory is that Saionji was hidden to keep Ibuki from seeing her just before she got murdered herself. Altering the 'time' of death helps marginally, but since they had to go there anyway to place the extra evidence behind while Hinata went to inform the others, well, obviously they don't have an alibi for that time period anyway.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Kuzuryuu has to be the number one suspect right now. He's made a number of wrong statements that may well be him trying to cover up the crime. (Including, if you meta-detective it, a rather precise statement of his alibi that could end up being questioned at trial).

If his primary target was Saionji, then creating the elaborate set-up makes sense too. He waits for a moment when she finally leaves her room, uses Ibuki as a disposable accomplice to confuse the case even more, and does her in while also setting up his alibi. He had access to all of the important locations and the tools used in the murder. (Saionji's room being the one place he couldn't get to, which is why he'd need her to get out of it, but I don't think he lured her exactly).

Motive is pretty easy to understand, too: he blames her for Pekoyama's death, and personally dislikes her for a variety of reasons.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Kangra posted:

If his primary target was Saionji, then creating the elaborate set-up makes sense too. He waits for a moment when she finally leaves her room, uses Ibuki as a disposable accomplice to confuse the case even more, and does her in while also setting up his alibi. He had access to all of the important locations and the tools used in the murder. (Saionji's room being the one place he couldn't get to, which is why he'd need her to get out of it, but I don't think he lured her exactly).

I don't think it would make much sense for somebody to target Saionji unless they had some way of getting her to leave her room. Sitting around waiting for someone who's locked herself in her room apparently out of paranoia to come out, hoping for her to enter the selected crime scene areas and monitoring her actions from afar somehow doesn't make for a reliable plan. We know that Sonia's the one who actually triggered Saionji leaving, but how did you think Kuzuryuu would have got her to leave and enter the club otherwise?

It might make some more sense if Kuzuryuu wasn't aiming to get Saionji specifically, but happened to see her at the club, or somehow the cameras between the two locations activated and Saionji was visible on screen for a while.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'd say there are really only two reasonable suspects at the moment: Either Tsumiki did it, or Kuzuryuu did it and is trying to pin it on Tsumiki. We have no reason to suspect Nidai, Gundam, Sonia or Nanami due to their lack of involvement with the whole affair; Souda is only marginally suspicious because of his technical skill with the cameras involved in the fake suicide scene, but there are no other connections and it's easy for a murderer to do the deed without his skills; Owari and Komaeda were both hospitalized and their involvement could stretch (in Komaeda's case) to giving advice at most.

Ibuki was the intended target 100%, as the elaborate preparations show. Ibuki's coverup required collecting material from many different locations; Saionji's coverup used only material from the club, where she most likely died.

Whatever happened to that camera Saionji was looking for, by the way?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Kangra posted:

Kuzuryuu has to be the number one suspect right now. He's made a number of wrong statements that may well be him trying to cover up the crime. (Including, if you meta-detective it, a rather precise statement of his alibi that could end up being questioned at trial).

I feel like if someone was clever enough to set up fakes, they'd also try to avoid being the person to point them all out.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Van Dine posted:

I don't think it would make much sense for somebody to target Saionji unless they had some way of getting her to leave her room.

She'd have to leave for food at some point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

of bees posted:

She has an indoor grow‐op. :drugnerd: It’s only slightly less plausible than the ninja trick from last chapter.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Platystemon posted:

She has an indoor grow‐op. :drugnerd: It’s only slightly less plausible than the ninja trick from last chapter.

So she'd.. Be more hungry?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anatharon posted:

So she'd.. Be more hungry?

Nah, she’s growing tomatoes in her shower, just like all the other people buying hydroponics equipment.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Oraculum Animi posted:

Hey oren, not to be anal retentive but you haven't updated the OP with the latest update.

Because he was getting interviewed by Giant Bomb, son. :colbert:

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/danganronpa-was-translated-before-it-was-translate/1600-816/

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

of bees posted:

She may have taken some food in with her, and that could potentially have lasted a while. But, even if she were to leave her room of her own accord in a predictable way, it's one thing for her to go and get some food and another for her to go to a particular location in the hospital or the club where the murderer is lying in wait specifically for her. Unless the murderer is Sonia, who would have just shot herself in the foot by admitting that she suggested the club to Saionji.

Going by Orenronen's "but I think I'm going to stop anyway" in that interview, it's not looking too good for the possibility of continuing translation further than the end of chapter 3, then. Though the "I'm not sure I'm going to continue it" earlier in the interview is less firm.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Van Dine posted:

Going by Orenronen's "but I think I'm going to stop anyway" in that interview, it's not looking too good for the possibility of continuing translation further than the end of chapter 3, then. Though the "I'm not sure I'm going to continue it" earlier in the interview is less firm.

You may have noticed the update rate has been going way down - this actually has more to do with some Real Life business taking away my free time and energy than with the localization news. I'm still determined to finish the third chapter, though. Since it's taking so long anyway, I think I'll try to do it in fewer but significantly longer updates. Once that's done, I'll think of what to do next.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

If it means anything, I'm interested because your LP doesn't add random quips every second sentence or you screaming/mumbling over a video, it shows off the game. The only way for me to get this experience is to wait for the game to come out and play it myself, which also involves buying both a console and the game, and playing through the previous parts of the game. It doesn't really seem viable that I'd ever see the rest of the game if you stopped. The only thing I could think of is if you continued the game on the translated version. It's still just a screenshot LP in that case, technically no different to how you started, just minus the translations. If you don't want to continue translating perhaps you could consider something along those lines?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Jewel posted:

If it means anything, I'm interested because your LP doesn't add random quips every second sentence or you screaming/mumbling over a video, it shows off the game. The only way for me to get this experience is to wait for the game to come out and play it myself, which also involves buying both a console and the game, and playing through the previous parts of the game. It doesn't really seem viable that I'd ever see the rest of the game if you stopped. The only thing I could think of is if you continued the game on the translated version. It's still just a screenshot LP in that case, technically no different to how you started, just minus the translations. If you don't want to continue translating perhaps you could consider something along those lines?

I'm in the same boat as you. I want to see this thing out but hell if I'm going to buy a PS Vita. But even if Oren doesn't LP this game when it comes out in English I'm sure somebody will, and they'd be stupid not to do it in the same format Oren and team have been using.

Won't be quite the same though :smith:

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
The big thing about doing the rest of the LP after it comes out though, is that Oren would have to rerecord everything on the Vita, something I'm not entirely sure we know how to do yet.
His choices are to translate something that's already been translated, or to redo all the work he's done by playing through chapters 1-3 and then playing through the game another two times.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

curiousTerminal posted:

The big thing about doing the rest of the LP after it comes out though, is that Oren would have to rerecord everything on the Vita, something I'm not entirely sure we know how to do yet.
His choices are to translate something that's already been translated, or to redo all the work he's done by playing through chapters 1-3 and then playing through the game another two times.

Fedule could do it, he's been recording his Vita for VLR.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I don't think that's fair to the developers here. If I manage to find a used Vita on craigslist for cheap, I'll probably pick one up along with DR2, since I'd want to play through it. Maybe we could have a "three month rule" pause after the game releases if one of the guys wants to continue after chapter 3?

Do we even have any release date other than "fall 2014"?

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't think that's fair to the developers here. If I manage to find a used Vita on craigslist for cheap, I'll probably pick one up along with DR2, since I'd want to play through it. Maybe we could have a "three month rule" pause after the game releases if one of the guys wants to continue after chapter 3?

Do we even have any release date other than "fall 2014"?

How does this affect the developers at all? People who want to play the game are still going to play it. I know plenty of people that read the DR LP went ahead to play the game all the way through anyway. Not everybody has the means to buy the console and game, and pausing an in-progress LP for 3 months when the game is released will just make it that much harder for people like me to avoid spoilers. If you want to play DR2 yourself, why don't you just stop reading the LP?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Not to mention, the first was only brought over in the first place because of how popular the LP made the series.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't think that's fair to the developers here.

Honestly, this could be applied to a lot of story-based LPs, and yet they happen and life goes on. Though I can see where you're coming from in this one case.

I'm not trying to influence oren one way or the other, I'm just saying.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 2, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Urban Wizard posted:

How does this affect the developers at all? People who want to play the game are still going to play it. I know plenty of people that read the DR LP went ahead to play the game all the way through anyway. Not everybody has the means to buy the console and game, and pausing an in-progress LP for 3 months when the game is released will just make it that much harder for people like me to avoid spoilers. If you want to play DR2 yourself, why don't you just stop reading the LP?

3 months would give me more time to find a used Vita for cheap. It just seems like the same sort of courtesy to the developers that we do for the 3 month rule in general.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

If I may ask, Oren, have you given any thought to how you may proceed with Dangan Ronpa Zero? As far as I'm aware NISA currently don't have any plans on bringing Zero over.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

3 months would give me more time to find a used Vita for cheap. It just seems like the same sort of courtesy to the developers that we do for the 3 month rule in general.

Geop already said 3 month rules doesn't apply for translations, quite specifically for this LP.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Geop already said 3 month rules doesn't apply for translations, quite specifically for this LP.

They're talking about continuing the LP with the official English localization when it comes out, though. That wouldn't be a translation. The rules thread specifically mentions this LP being allowed because its "based on the Japanese version".

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Honestly I would prefer to read oren and Fedule's version regardless. Switching the LP to the official translation wouldn't be the same.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Personally, I like all the translation and cultural notes Oren and Fedule include in this LP. I don't think the official translation would include all of those, which is why I'd love to see this LP continue.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

tiistai posted:

Honestly I would prefer to read oren and Fedule's version regardless. Switching the LP to the official translation wouldn't be the same.

of bees posted:

Personally, I like all the translation and cultural notes Oren and Fedule include in this LP. I don't think the official translation would include all of those, which is why I'd love to see this LP continue.

I'd have to agree with these. It's an alternate translation, sure, but it also gives us insights to the origins of the references to culture, ideals or even hierarchy. And in essence, the translation allows us to see the game as it was originally intended - for a Japanese audience and a Japanese culture (okay, maybe "DULL START" is against this, but that's a mark of creative talent from the translators - doubly so in that nobody (or barely anyone) actually got the reference), which helps understand the game better in a way than a translated version that may be more intended for other audiences.

I guess it's an informative segment that I enjoy. Might explain why I loved Geop's LP of AC1 and 2 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Urban Wizard posted:

Seconding this. Just because there's an LP of it doesn't mean developers suffer. The only reason I bought VLR was because I was following Fedule's LP and wanted to play it for myself. Having finished it, I went back to reading the LP to enjoy seeing Fedule's commentary and finding dialogue I missed.

of bees posted:

I'm not sure, but a possible compromise could be to use the English version and point out the differences from the original Japanese version. It might cut down significantly on the work involved. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I could get over Monobear being replaced by Monokuma.

• Locked thread