Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

:frogsiren::frogsiren: CARMAGEDDON: MAX DAMAGE (basically Reincarnation: Director's Cut, with more stuff) announced for PS4, Xbox One and PC for a mid-2016 release. Owners of Reincarnation get the PC version for free! :frogsiren:::frogsiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEu-agoA4Rc

:frogsiren: POST-LAUNCH UPDATE #2 IS OUT FOR CARMAGEDDON: REINCARNATION! LOOKS BETTER, HAS MORE GORE AND MOST IMPORTANTLY RUNS WAY BETTER :frogsiren:

:gibs: STEAM GROUP IS STILL HERE :gaben:

---

Attention all competitors: This is your one-minute warning. I repeat: One minute to race commencement. Members of the public, you will now have one minute to reach minimum safe distance. (pro click)

---

Carmageddon is an open world demolition derby game where you score points for smashing other cars and running over pedestrians. In fact, there were three ways to complete each race -- kill all pedestrians (nearly impossible due to the sheer number of them), complete all the laps (boring) or wreck all the opponents (the most fun way, especially with the dynamic damage and satisfying crash physics). The game was great fun, albeit somewhat shallow and repetitive after a while.

Carmageddon is occasionally compared to Twisted Metal, but the only things the two series have in common is the fact both can be considered vehicular combat games. While TM is more of a third-person shooter on wheels, Carmageddon's roots are in demolition derbies and banger racing in the UK. Carmageddon does have weapon powerups in the later games, but they're very much temporary and most of the time your main weapon will be your car.

The original 1997 release was quite controversial at the time and was banned in a few countries, while others got censored versions with green-blooded zombies (or robots, if you were in Germany) replacing the pedestrians. Carmageddon never took itself seriously, but the gory subject matter was too much for some ratings boards and even a Pope!

(British MP Greg Pope)

Carmageddon was followed by an add-on disc called the Splat Pack, which included new cars, peds and tracks including one where you crash into Satan's dick. Carmageddon and Splat Pack were later bundled together into the Carmageddon Max Pack, which is currently available on GOG.com. It has also been put on Steam, you can buy it separately or in a pack containing all the Carmageddon games (during early access, owners of Carmageddon: Reincarnation got the old games for free). Steam trading cards are included if you care about that sort of thing.

The original Carmageddon has also been ported onto iOS and Android devices, and those versions play more or less exactly how the original game did but have been touched up a bit. Highly recommended, although for whatever reason the music on the iOS version doesn't work on iOS 9.

The sequel, Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now, was released in 1998 and added new cars, even better damage modeling (cars getting sheared in half!), new levels and new silly powerups. Despite obviously being rushed to the shelves (the game included many, many bugs and even a nonexistent car made it into the release version -- you could select it from the menu, but it didn't even have a model so the game would just crash when you tried to start a race) and featuring some really bad timed missions which DO require a ton of precision driving these games were most definitely NOT made for (especially with the default keyboard controls), Carmageddon II is another cult classic and people are still playing and modding it to this day.

Carmageddon 2 is also on GOG.com, and can now be bought on Steam as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKwMBxiKTo4

After Carmageddon 2, Stainless took a break from Carma but didn't realize that SCI would end up giving the IP to another developer to poo poo out a sequel. Carmageddon TDR 2000 was released in, well, 2000, and was developed by Torus Games. It was poo poo and we don't talk about it. :frogout:

TDR also got an expansion called the Nosebleed Pack and is now available on Steam, but who cares.

There were some crummy versions of Carmageddon on consoles, but those weren't made by Stainless and had nothing to do with the real games. There was a Gizmondo (lol) port of Carma 1 in development and Stainless was doing the work themselves, but that version got cancelled because the Gizmondo was a piece of poo poo. The engine would later be used as the basis for the iOS/Android version of Carmageddon.

In 2011, the Carmageddon rights were owned by Square-Enix, who had bought Eidos a few years earlier (SCI had merged into Eidos a few years before that). Since Square-Enix clearly wasn't going to do anything with the IP and we didn't even get Max in Kingdom Hearts, Stainless bought it back the rights and started work on Carmageddon: Reincarnation. Reincarnation had a successful Kickstarter campaign and later received $3.5 million of additional funding that allowed them to increase the scope of the project (which led to delays as the game was being rebuilt). Kickstarter and PayPal backers got their hands on the "sneak peek" early access pre-alpha build in mid-March 2014, and the date of the official Steam Early Access release was March 27th, 2014, with the full release happening on May 21st, 2015.

Reincarnation is a reimagining of the original Carmageddon games, with everything that entails. Several of the original drivers and their vehicles return with updated designs, and the levels are heavily based on the original games, with classics such as Bleak City and Dusty Trails National Park returning almost exactly how you remember them. Obviously, there are a bunch of new levels, powerups and vehicles, so it's not just a nostalgia trip. The gameplay is more Carma 1 than 2, as there is more focus on the actual crashing and smashing than exploration.

Along with classic Carmageddon races, Reincarnation also has new game modes such as Death Race (in which you're technically supposed to finish first in a checkpoint race, but you can just murder your opponents instead and steal the laps they've accumulated) and Checkpoint Stampede (there's a checkpoint somewhere in the level and you try to get there before the opponents... or you can wait for them to grab it and then kill them to steal it). If you're a purist and don't want to play these (personally I got unpleasant Carma 2 mission flashbacks when I heard about these, but they're definitely not anywhere near that bad), you can unlock new tiers of the career mode by simply earning enough credits in Classic Carma races, although you need to win all the events to unlock all cars. Getting 100% from career requires doing all the races AND winning all the Classic Carma events in all three ways, so good luck with that.

The APO upgrade system returns in a form that is sort of a combination of Carma 1 and 2. While you still get the upgrades from the parts shop menu like in Carma 1, they're bought with upgrade tokens found in the levels (as the upgrade pickups in Carma 2 were). In addition to performance upgrades, you can customize the look of your vehicle with different colors and rims. There is an upgrade part named "Burly Chassis".

Multiplayer supports six players. No pedestrians, though. :saddowns:

---

tl;dr: Carmageddon and Carmageddon 2 are rad and awesome and you should play them. Carmageddon: Reincarnation, after some rough patches in development, is finally the worthy followup we've been expecting for sixteen years despite some frame rate issues (at least this time they didn't put an unfinished car in the release build) and other unfortunate technical problems that may hamper the experience, and it's getting better with every update.

Whether you grew up splattering peds with the Red Eagle or are a newcomer to the series, talk about all things Carmageddon in this thread. I WAS IN THE WAR!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I had an old demo disc for carmagedfon 2 that I probably player now than some actual games and I can't wait for this. Kind of wish I'd sprung for the extra ten bucks for steam EA access instead of the basic kick starter package

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

One thing I forgot to mention was the fact that the Eagle's roof blade is actually functional in Reincarnation. If you hit a ped just right or give them a boost with the ped vacuum powerup, they get gibbed and you get a splatter bonus for your efforts. The other cars also have similar features, so you can splatter cows with Screwie's drill or take out other cars' tires with the Cleaver's kneecappers.

Also, drivers can ragdoll through the windshield and you can run over them. Including your own driver.

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007
I love the Carma series; so much fun over the years and the first one got me into Fear Factory for a while.

The alpha is a little rough even on a pretty good machine. The magna-chem level in particular will drop the fps down to like 3-4 fps. I have no doubts this will improve with time though.

If you live on nostalgia and can stand a janky game for a while, feel free to buy now, otherwise wait it out.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Carmageddon is one of those games that I was aware of as a kid but that I never really played, except a few times at a friend's place. Will be keeping an eye on this.

One racing game from the same era that I loved was Whiplash. Anyone else play that? And what would you recommend for someone who is similarly interested in a straightforward but not necessarily realistic modern racing game?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I simply adored Carma 2 back when it released. Skittering around the tracks with Iron Maiden screaming out of my speakers and mowing down the peds was brilliant. This was after the installation of the compulsory "Make zombies human" patch, as the UK release had zombies and green blood. All of the PC gaming magazines just put the patch which turned them back into humans on their coverdisks.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Phlegmish posted:

And what would you recommend for someone who is similarly interested in a straightforward but not necessarily realistic modern racing game?
Next Car Game by Bugbear Entertainment is the first thing I thought of, it's a banger racing game in the vein of the good Flatout games but more realistic than that series (made by the same people, too). It's also a Steam Early Access title and is supposedly in pre-alpha, but it is technically very solid, very well optimized and is only really missing content. There's a handful of cars and tracks (two race tracks, a demo derby and a figure of eight track inside the demo derby arena) so you might want to wait for more stuff to be implemented, but the gameplay is excellent and the physics and damage modeling are amazing.

(an actual in-game screenshot I took)

Frankly, NCG makes Carma Reincarnation look even jankier than it really is, but it's also a very different style of game and I've been having a shitton of fun with both.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
One of my favourite things to do in C2 was to just boost full-blast onto the hazard signs or the corner of a building and split my car in two right down the middle and see how long I could keep going without repairing.

The demo was amazing because it started you all off a few seconds from a huge uphill road that led directly to a huge glass-panel building you could just blast through. It had all kinds of poo poo like a giant construction sites with pipes you could ramp up, an underwater section and a mall, and the entire place was filled with those amazing powerups like giant springs and electrocutioners and inertia-increasers that let you plow through racers like a block of concrete. Seriously one of the best demos ever when you were a kid with no money and free demos were a Big Deal.

http://download.cnet.com/Carmageddon-II-demo/3000-2115_4-10024333.html

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Pierson posted:

The demo was amazing because it started you all off a few seconds from a huge uphill road that led directly to a huge glass-panel building you could just blast through. It had all kinds of poo poo like a giant construction sites with pipes you could ramp up, an underwater section and a mall, and the entire place was filled with those amazing powerups like giant springs and electrocutioners and inertia-increasers that let you plow through racers like a block of concrete. Seriously one of the best demos ever when you were a kid with no money and free demos were a Big Deal.
That city map was easily the best in the entire game in my opinion, only the fairground map got close but that one was much smaller. For some reason, the latter half of Carma 2 doesn't use any of the good maps and you're stuck with boring bullshit levels like the aircraft carrier, the nuclear silo and the desert. The aircraft carrier was small and glitchy, the silo was an annoying maze with a bunch of narrow corridors, and the desert is just a.... desert. There's some pyramids there, and a UFO in the last level ("GREETINGS, EARTHLINGS... AAAARRRRGHH!"), but it's just so boring and huge and empty and there isn't anything you can ram your opponents into.

But really, the city maps (both the one in the demo and the other one) are so good. The demo map in particular has so much stuff hidden all over the place, cool jumps, lots of glass to smash, and if you know where the electro-bastard rays are you can go around most of the map zapping people continuously and just rack up the credits and bonus time. Great stuff.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I love playing Carma 1 when I get bored. Haven't unlocked all the cars yet but I know that it's a pain in the rear end to get the almighty police APC without using the solid granite car powerup. GOG has a patch for the Windows 95 version which may or may not work, it's a billion times better than trying to run the 3DFX version or sticking with the regular DOS version.

Also it should be said that originally the game was going to be based on a sequel to the movie Death Race 2000 but ended up becoming its own thing.

I'll probably get Reincarnation when it comes out of early access, the gameplay I've seen looks amazing and I think they even used Fear Factory's music from the original.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 29, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I love Carmageddon. I even love Carmageddon 2 though it's a pale shadow of the original.

However, just for fun and not expecting a whole lot, I purchased Carmageddon 64. I drove a wooden stake through that cart, stuffed it with garlic, and then buried it at a crossroads at midnight. It was the only way to be sure.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Carmageddon 64 is what you get when you bury Carmageddon 2 in the Pet Sematary. It vaguely resembles the original, but everything is all wrong and horrible.

More fun in Reincarnation:

The old ladies who go "I WAS IN THE WAR" are back, and here you can see parts of one of them arranged into a modern art installation. What happened here was I bumped into the granny, she fell onto the walker and proceeded to blow the gently caress up due to some physics/collision detection glitch. Yes, her head fell in the basket. :kheldragar:

The Cop Unit: Nil Threat car didn't take too kindly to my attempts to murder everyone in the small village. Look how adorable he is! :3:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 29, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just got my access to this game after backing the $15 tier on Kickstarter. I'm a bit dissapointed that my PC can't run it, but then again, it's like 8 years old. The test map is fine, the old countryside map with the loop can go to less than 1fps if I hang out by the loop. I think it's all the cow AIs or something.

I know they're going to port it to Mac, I just wish it was on that already, seeing as that computer is only a year or so old. (Plus, my PC could run Bioshock Infinite at a constant healthy framerate, so I imagine it's just they haven't optimized this game at all yet).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

IUG posted:

I just got my access to this game after backing the $15 tier on Kickstarter. I'm a bit dissapointed that my PC can't run it, but then again, it's like 8 years old. The test map is fine, the old countryside map with the loop can go to less than 1fps if I hang out by the loop. I think it's all the cow AIs or something.
Whoa, what, where'd you get that? I thought kickstarter dudes at $15 only got the game on release and not EA?

edit; it was because the key was lost in my spam folder. Hell yes!

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 29, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pierson posted:

Whoa, what, where'd you get that? I thought kickstarter dudes at $15 only got the game on release and not EA?

Nope, we got it a week later, but we have it now. You should have gotten an email linking you to the Humble Bundle website. You click that link, or go to your profile and at the bottom of the page is a link for the game. Click that and you can redeem it into your library.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

IUG posted:

Nope, we got it a week later, but we have it now. You should have gotten an email linking you to the Humble Bundle website. You click that link, or go to your profile and at the bottom of the page is a link for the game. Click that and you can redeem it into your library.

Yeah, folks in the $25+ tier got a two week head start on a build that had only one track.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Stainless' very own nobby and Sim streaming Reincarnation and talking to Twitch chat at http://www.twitch.tv/carmageddon right now. So far we've learned that there will in fact be elephants in Reincarnation, and apparently some races are going to have the AI actually trying to finish all the laps. Hopefully those races are optional, because actually trying to race in these games isn't exactly the most fun thing in the world.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

OH NO MAN posted:

Hopefully those races are optional, because actually trying to race in these games isn't exactly the most fun thing in the world.

Ambushing earnest racers by speeding the track in reverse is much more fun than orienteering to the next guy doing 5mph doughnuts in a tiny pit.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
For as janky as this is it's already tons of fun. I've got only about an hour but in my whole time playing I wasn't ablt to stop grinning or giggling.

Highlights for me include:

-Cop smart car
-Those gruff cow moos
-The fact that peds can run into each other and knock themselves down slapstick style. Intended or a bug, I hope that makes it to the final cut. God please let it.

It's even more enjoyable when the run into an object or another ped hard enough to kill/gib themselves. I'm really hoping they amp up the gore in the end product, it currently feels TDR2000 levels of lame. I'd love to see rope-physics intestines getting caught and wrapped around a tire and drag some poor helpless gently caress behind me. Who needs that ball'n'chain powerup? Happy Wheels or grindhouse film levels of gore. Also enjoying this PIS system, it's a nice idea for powerups and it's fun-on-demand.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 2, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Highlights for me include:

-Those gruff cow moos
I hope those are not just placeholder sounds, because hearing nobby's voice go "MOOouRGH" when I run over a cow will never not be funny. Fortunately this is Carmageddon, so I expect the cow sounds to stay the way they are.

There was a 2.4 gig patch for the game the other day, but apparently that was just a hotfix that was mainly supposed to make the replay mode work better:

April 3 patch notes posted:

The fixes in the Hot Fix are:

Action Replay Fixes:
Added Keyboard Controls for Camera (and Exit) in Action Replay
General fixes to make Action Replay more stable
Fixes to make Large/Long Action Replay sessions more stable
Fixed some issues with particles in Action Replay
Fixed some AR issues with Granny’s Zimmer frame

Others Fixes:
Fixed some physics issues related to PEDs, PUPs and Picket Fences!
Fixed crash problems when ejecting drivers from vehicles
Fixed some text issues in Russian language version
Made changes to the PowerUp Instant Selector graphic guide

New known issues with the current Steam build (Pre-Alpha v0.1.3.4668)
Cows sometimes 'Teleport' at speed in Action Replay
Caddy Fat Cat rear lights out of place when damaged
Cannot cycle through cameras in post-race replay
Slowdown when rewinding through footage of reconstruction of objects in Action Replay
Help section cannot be accessed in Action Replay

Also, new gameplay trailer (fan-made, but apparently Stainless found it good enough to use as an official trailer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMRj1usvWjQ

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 5, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Heck yeah, I've been playing this since the other week. It's so great to have a modern Carmageddon with all the totally goofy poo poo Stainless love and not have TDR be the last entry in the series. I can't wait to see the new tracks and cars this month. I wonder how far they are along with Bleak City?

Edit:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 7, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Do they have a RSS for the updates to the game? I'm just wondering how quickly this game gets updated, and what is updated at that time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

IUG posted:

Do they have a RSS for the updates to the game? I'm just wondering how quickly this game gets updated, and what is updated at that time.
There is an RSS feed on the website. As for the updates, the Reincarnation support page says this:

quote:

There will be regularly scheduled Updates – and possibly also at irregular intervals, if something (for instance, Multiplayer) gets finished and we really want to get it out ASAP.

No word on what the actual schedule is, but I'd hazard a guess they'll try to update at least once a month. I'll be posting all the patch notes and other important update stuff here in any case.

Also, that babby Max is terrifying. :gonk:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

OH NO MAN posted:

Next Car Game by Bugbear Entertainment is the first thing I thought of, it's a banger racing game in the vein of the good Flatout games but more realistic than that series (made by the same people, too). It's also a Steam Early Access title and is supposedly in pre-alpha, but it is technically very solid, very well optimized and is only really missing content. There's a handful of cars and tracks (two race tracks, a demo derby and a figure of eight track inside the demo derby arena) so you might want to wait for more stuff to be implemented, but the gameplay is excellent and the physics and damage modeling are amazing.

(an actual in-game screenshot I took)

Frankly, NCG makes Carma Reincarnation look even jankier than it really is, but it's also a very different style of game and I've been having a shitton of fun with both.

If you dont wanna go with an Alpha, the previous car game(s) from Bugbear - the Flatout series - still hold up well and are really fun. There's plain races, demolition derbies and physics games based around ejecting your driver from the windshield in a dart board or bowling pins, for example. Flatout 2 is €10 on steam, 'Ultimate Carnage' is €19.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Fishstick posted:

Flatout 2 is €10 on steam, 'Ultimate Carnage' is €19.
These are practically the same game, Ultimate Carnage being an HD upgrade of sorts that was released on the 360 and later on the PC. I recommend UC because they toned down the rubberband AI and decreased the bloom and HDR by approximately 800%. (Flatout 2 was released at the height of the "every game must have bloom and HDR up the rear end" phase in the mid-00s)

I actually prefer the original Flatout, as that was more of a straight-up banger racing game with some funny ragdoll physics and some semblance of realism (not too much, though) instead of full-on Finnish Redneck Burnout. Next Car Game in its current state is pretty close to the original Flatout but less arcade, which is pretty much all I wanted from it and I hope it stays that way.

edit: goddamn I'm just making all kinds of typos today :eng99:

e2: also, whatever you do, stay the gently caress away from Flatout 3. It was made by a completely different studio and sucks astronomical amounts of rear end.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 8, 2014

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Having actually looked now at some Whiplash gameplay, Burnout:Paradise is a decent arcade/stunt racer too. I'm not usually into racing games but both Burnout and the Flatout series held my interest for a good while. I don't think I ever got around to trying Flatout 2 or UC, so gowith what OH NO MAN said :v:.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Carmageddon 2 was the game that introduced me to three things:

1. Senseless violent videogames.
2. Iron Maiden
3. Actually funny comedy.

All three have stuck with me as personal favourites throughout my life and I have Stainless to thank for this.

I paid a ludicrous amount towards this kickstarter because with the amount of entertainment Carmageddon 2 gave me over the years (was one of the very first games I ever remember modding - which blew my loving mind) I honestly feel I came way, way ahead in the deal considering the stupidly low price I paid for the game when I got it.

Stainless make great games and they deserve another shot at the best. Especially since Criterion got hosed over with Burnout Paradise, I guess, and vehicle carnage is not very popular anymore.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Ddraig posted:

. Especially since Criterion got hosed over with Burnout Paradise,

What happened?

VVVVV :(

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 9, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
No more than the usual EA fuckery, I guess. They made a pretty awesome racing game, then got forced into propping up the Need For Speed franchise while the much more awesome Burnout series fell by the wayside.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

It got way worse than that, as the Criterion team was gutted after their NFS games, with most of the talent joining Ghost Games UK and the rest wanting to move away from racing games. Ghost Games UK was then hit with major layoffs and their next NFS project was put on hold indefinitely, and the employees that weren't laid off were put to work on other EA games like Battlefield.

Burnout :smith:

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Cheer up with some HAWK!

I really love Carma modding community, the game is still pre-alpha and here you have them adding new cars already.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This is beautiful.

Carmageddon 2 is one of the first games I remember modding, and it was crazy. Glad to see the community can still step up to the plate.

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008
I really hope they keep all the old sounds... even selecting something on the menu sounds so good with the old effects. Cos lets face it, everyone just wants a graphically updated version of Carma or Carma 2 with pretty much the same gameplay.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

THE_Chris posted:

I really hope they keep all the old sounds... even selecting something on the menu sounds so good with the old effects. Cos lets face it, everyone just wants a graphically updated version of Carma or Carma 2 with pretty much the same gameplay.

I dunno man, I mean something as abstract as a menu sound sure (I can still hear it in my head now). But the handful of, by todays standards, poorly recorded crashcam speech clips, crash sounds, the powerup pickup noise etc, they'd be pretty jarring set against the modern graphics.

I want them to recreate the feel of the earlier games but I don't want them to entirely ignore 15 years of game design and tech improvements.

On an unrelated note, is that Noddy as Psycho Pitbull? That is amazing.
http://www.carmageddon.com/reincarnation/drivers-and-vehicles

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 12, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Fwoderwick posted:

I dunno man, I mean something as abstract as a menu sound sure (I can still hear it in my head now). But the handful of, by todays standards, poorly recorded crashcam speech clips, crash sounds, the powerup pickup noise etc, they'd be pretty jarring set against the modern graphics.

I want them to recreate the feel of the earlier games but I don't want them to entirely ignore 15 years of game design.

On an unrelated note, is that Noddy as Psycho Pitbull? That is amazing.
http://www.carmageddon.com/reincarnation/drivers-and-vehicles

Pratcams are coming back. They got a mate of Nobbie's in for Max and Sim is playing Die Anna. It not a priority according to them and won't be in till later.

Also yeah Nobby is Pitbull! Someone posted a blog about heading to Stainless to get his own car and portrait done. I think he was a kickstarter backer pr something

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fwoderwick posted:

In the Early Access version, the only sound that seems to be directly ripped from the old games (and even then, it's been remastered a bit) is the old menu confirm sound. Everything else is redone from scratch, but keeping to the feel of the old audio.

Shoehead posted:

Pratcams are coming back. They got a mate of Nobbie's in for Max and Sim is playing Die Anna. It not a priority according to them and won't be in till later.

Also yeah Nobby is Pitbull! Someone posted a blog about heading to Stainless to get his own car and portrait done. I think he was a kickstarter backer pr something
Yeah, they're bringing back the original Pratcam Max, who was also helped provide reference footage for the past games by volunteering to be hit by a car. Multiple times. Yeah, Stainless are a wee bit unhinged.

A few of the drivers and peds will be based on Kickstarter backers, because who wouldn't pay vast amounts of money to get dismembered in a videogame?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh yeah that's right everyone should know that when you are playing a Stainless game you're playing a game made by nutjobs who run each other over with cars, participate in stock car races and throw entire dishwashers down flights of stairs.

They covered Nobbie's car with giant dick decals for his fiftieth the other month. :allears:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was playing this yesterday, and besides the low framerate, I also noticed that the game has cards now. I got two Halfwit Harry cards before the toxic plant went to about 1 frame per minute, and I had to force quit the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Shoehead posted:

Oh yeah that's right everyone should know that when you are playing a Stainless game you're playing a game made by nutjobs who run each other over with cars, participate in stock car races and throw entire dishwashers down flights of stairs.

They covered Nobbie's car with giant dick decals for his fiftieth the other month. :allears:
Stainless is pretty much the best video game company. Here's the interview Eurogamer did with nobby a couple of years ago: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-01-the-cunning-stunts-of-stainless

nobby posted:

"During the foot and mouth crisis a large white breeding sow left a farm, wandered across the fields and ended up at ours. It was a Sunday when no-one was at work - someone came running shouting 'There's a f***ing great pig in the car park!' So we went out and there was, indeed, a f***ing great pig in the car park."

• Locked thread