Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

He said Euro.

i said usd (or more in canadian fun bux). the sh-101 and the mc-202 are the juno 106 of mono synths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
If I was going to spend 1200 EUR on something Vintage, I'd rather get a Mono/Poly :fh:

Does any one here ever played/owned a Oberheim OB-12?
One came up for sale locally and I just looks so tempting with all them knobs and sliders...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sjoewe posted:

If I was going to spend 1200 EUR on something Vintage, I'd rather get a Mono/Poly :fh:

Does any one here ever played/owned a Oberheim OB-12?
One came up for sale locally and I just looks so tempting with all them knobs and sliders...

It's up to you to get it. Then when someone else sees a sick ob-12 deal, you can say yesss

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Sjoewe posted:

Oberheim OB-12

Watch Ujiie's video about it (turn on captions for English subtitles).

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
It's just a little over budget...
Anyone looking to buy a Bass Station II or a AN/DX 200 :v:

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
A few :downs: questions.

I finally picked up an audio interface (Scarlett 6i6) so I could record over USB, but I'm running into a few weird issues, and I think the issue is more on the software side than hardware and maybe someone's run into the same issues.

1) Whether I run things through a DAW or just through Windows, everything goes through one of my stereo speakers, but it will record to mono. For example, when playing my Electribe, which is plugged from the mono jack to one of the inputs, it only plays through my left speaker. When I record it into something like Live Lite or Audacity, it'll record and play back as mono. Windows seems to treat each input as one channel of a stereo input.

2) The other issue is that it only seems to recognize my front two inputs when playing back through windows. Anything plugged into the back seems to get picked up since I can see the bars in the mixer jump around, but no audio comes through to the computer. I suspect this has something to do with ASIO drivers but I'm not having a heck of a lot of luck figuring out a solution.

3) The Micron isn't for me, so I'll be selling it. I found someone on Kijiji that wants to trade his Mopho (desktop version) for it, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trade or the cash. I've done some research but it seems like on its own, the Mopho isn't really worth it, but it might be something fun to play around with, as well as compliment the A4 I'll be picking up later this year. I can't say I'll honestly use it more than the Micron, but I can say with certainty my Micron is just going to sit here untouched forever, and it's either trade or sell. This is probably all down to personal taste though. I also have the feeling the Mopho would be easier to resell.

My foray into hardware started with the Electribe that sounds awful but I love, and then continued with two purchases I researched and seemed right but have been a little bit of a letdown. It's why I've held off on picking up a few things I've seen, like a 180 dollar TX81Z.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 5, 2014

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Your Computer posted:

The Blofeld I bought from Your Dead Gay Son just arrived. This thing's awesome! I've heard it's easy to program, but I wasn't expecting it to be this easy. Going to have tons of fun with it :dance:

I don't own a cat to put on it, but here it is with a tiny rabbit-shaped speaker:

The irony here is that programming a Blofeld is about the same as programming a MicroKorg which people say is hard :ssh:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Blofeld doesn't have a patronizing knob that says "dubstep"

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

A few :downs: questions.

I finally picked up an audio interface (Scarlett 6i6) so I could record over USB, but I'm running into a few weird issues, and I think the issue is more on the software side than hardware and maybe someone's run into the same issues.

1) Whether I run things through a DAW or just through Windows, everything goes through one of my stereo speakers, but it will record to mono. For example, when playing my Electribe, which is plugged from the mono jack to one of the inputs, it only plays through my left speaker. When I record it into something like Live Lite or Audacity, it'll record and play back as mono. Windows seems to treat each input as one channel of a stereo input.

2) The other issue is that it only seems to recognize my front two inputs when playing back through windows. Anything plugged into the back seems to get picked up since I can see the bars in the mixer jump around, but no audio comes through to the computer. I suspect this has something to do with ASIO drivers but I'm not having a heck of a lot of luck figuring out a solution.

1) Are you using the Scarlett MixControl software to do direct monitoring(not through your DAW?) When I am doing direct monitoring, I use MOTU's CueMix FX(I have a MOTU Ultralite). This software allows me to select which channels are MONO or Stereo. Each input can be toggled to be either a MONO input(which comes out of both speakers) or half of a Stereo pair(in which case it's linked with the next channel, in stereo).

As far as your DAW is concerned, it has its own monitoring configuration, and should be able to turn any MONO input into a stereo channel by choosing the MONO version of the input for a channel.

2) The software also allows me to mute and unmute the other inputs and outputs.

In this Scarlett MixControl tutorial, it says that the same features exist for your interface: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/saffire-mixcontrol-tutorial

If you are currently using Windows mixer, you should be using the bundled software for direct monitoring(at least for configuration, but it has a bunch of other uses as well).

renderful fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 5, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

renderful posted:

1) Are you using the Scarlett MixControl software to do direct monitoring(not through your DAW?) When I am doing direct monitoring, I use MOTU's CueMix FX(I have a MOTU Ultralite). This software allows me to select which channels are MONO or Stereo. Each input can be toggled to be either a MONO input(which comes out of both speakers) or half of a Stereo pair(in which case it's linked with the next channel, in stereo).

As far as your DAW is concerned, it has its own monitoring configuration, and should be able to turn any MONO input into a stereo channel by choosing the MONO version of the input for a channel.

2) The software also allows me to mute and unmute the other inputs and outputs.

In this Scarlett MixControl tutorial, it says that the same features exist for your interface: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/saffire-mixcontrol-tutorial

If you are currently using Windows mixer, you should be using the bundled software for direct monitoring(at least for configuration, but it has a bunch of other uses as well).

The problem is that everything is set to mono but it only comes through one of my speakers as a mono recording. I've tried this through a handful of DAWs (Renoise, which I realized actually doesn't allow mono audio inputs), Ableton Lite and Audacity. Ditto for Mixcontrol.

It'll record perfectly fine to mono, and when I play the recording back it plays through both speakers. It's just when I play the instrument itself it plays through only one of my speakers. I've run out of forums to search, and that tutorial was the first thing I've read. Nothing is muted, everything is open, and I have no clue where to go from there.

Maybe to add something to clarify, I don't have it connected to any monitors; the 6i6 is connected to my PC and all audio is routed through my PC.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 5, 2014

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Radiapathy posted:

A few days back I posted that the only thing holding me back from selling the Virus was that I wasn't sure I could find a replacement for its wide, fizzy "hypersaw OSC" sound. Based on suggestions from here and KVR I spent some time with a number of plugins, and actually found several that get close enough for me that the Virus is hitting eBay this Sunday.

I recorded a MIDI chord progression and designed a bare-bones supersaw patch on the Virus and six different plugins. Every patch had only a few elements: single-OSC, 2-pole LP filter (wide open as saved in preset), fast attack/smooth release ENV, whatever detuning/stacking features the synth offered. I ran each patch through the same delay and reverb and posted the results to SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/ultimateoutsider/sets/supersaw-comparison

This is awesome because now I don't feel like I need to buy a Virus. I think Alchemy sounds great but I'm more happy because now I know how to do this properly with Massive, and I already own that :)

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Radiapathy posted:

However, tonight or tomorrow I'll zip up the FXPs and a MIDI clip of my sequence and put it on Dropbox or Onedrive.
Which you can find right here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4apm4il6t9rc7b1/SupersawStuff.zip

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
How prevalent are free-running oscillators in VA synths? The KingKorg annoyingly seems to have them, as combining two oscillators in a single Timbre produces different waveforms for each gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se00IabOYQI

I was unable to capture the audio, but the effect is evident. Sounds like garbage anyways.

This timbre has 2 oscillators, each an identically configured pulse oscillator. The "Analog Tune" parameter is set to 0, and I think it's applied at the Timbre level anyways. It's not a tuning difference, because the waveform is static. They're simply offset a different amount at each gate.

It's been a really annoying feature, as creating a voice using in-tune oscillators is more or less destined to fail.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

sliderule posted:

How prevalent are free-running oscillators in VA synths? The KingKorg annoyingly seems to have them, as combining two oscillators in a single Timbre produces different waveforms for each gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se00IabOYQI

I was unable to capture the audio, but the effect is evident. Sounds like garbage anyways.

This timbre has 2 oscillators, each an identically configured pulse oscillator. The "Analog Tune" parameter is set to 0, and I think it's applied at the Timbre level anyways. It's not a tuning difference, because the waveform is static. They're simply offset a different amount at each gate.

It's been a really annoying feature, as creating a voice using in-tune oscillators is more or less destined to fail.

With rising numbers of voices in unison, freerunning oscs is something you want, actually! If they're all in sync, you'll get a flanging effect on the beginning of a note. Massive for example has an optional sync feature that can do either free-running or sync for all oscs (unfortunately not PER osc, but at least you can adjust the initial phase per osc).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Thanks man, I'm gonna see how close I can get in the coming week.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

wayfinder posted:

With rising numbers of voices in unison, freerunning oscs is something you want, actually! If they're all in sync, you'll get a flanging effect on the beginning of a note. Massive for example has an optional sync feature that can do either free-running or sync for all oscs (unfortunately not PER osc, but at least you can adjust the initial phase per osc).

Perhaps with more than two or three voices or any amount of detuning, the effect is good, but with only a few, it seems to be nothing but detrimental. I can't make a voice sound the same at each gate, and in the case of pulse waveforms, they can make a sound move from medium-fat to pencil thin.

Like it would be neat to mix a 50% pulse with a 75% pulse if they were synchronized, but any range from intended neatness to garbage if not.

Experimentation has revealed that the phase difference is not random, but cyclical, likely modulated with a triangle wave. I'm not sure if it's keyed to the gate or if it, too is free-running as I simply used an arpeggiator.

I see that the Access Virus line has a phase init parameter. I really should have gotten a used one of those instead of this, but I was uneducated at purchase time.

Edit:

I mean how can this be desirable?

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 5, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

sliderule posted:

I mean how can this be desirable?

It makes it more analog! I haven't poked the KK but I can't imagine there isn't a retrig check box in there somewhere.

e- or not, nothing in the parameter guide I can see anyway. :(
Same results with DWGS oscillators?

Startyde fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 5, 2014

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No! The DWGS oscillators are not affected, and are phase sync'd. I wasn't comprehensive with testing the "analog" oscillators, so I did some more.

It seems that the only oscillators that are free-running are: Saw, Pulse, Dual Square, Dual Pulse.... the only set I had initially tested, of course.

And of course the pulse wave is the only oscillator that can PWM.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 5, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
"I will sell all my euro and some other synths and pare down what I've got to essentials. Then I shall take the money from selling these synths, put half into savings, and take the other half and get more synths for some veriety and a fun time. Maybe a couple of outboard racks and something small, a VST or two, but certainly not just spending that entire half on a single expensive vintage synth which I'll be terrified of damaging because that would be really stupgently caress"

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

"I will sell all my euro and some other synths and pare down what I've got to essentials. Then I shall take the money from selling these synths, put half into savings, and take the other half and get more synths for some veriety and a fun time..."

I'm putting the proceeds from my Virus toward a wedding ring, apparently.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radiapathy posted:

Does she come with all of those synths or something?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Radiapathy posted:

Don't let her kill the band, man.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Needs more sun, fewer guitars.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
That's a very skewed good to bad synth ratio.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

That's a very skewed good to bad synth ratio.

I can only pick out an asr-10, a microkorg and an m1. What's the deal with no rack gear though? I've got, like, not counting some novelty casios, 2 keyboard synths and all the rest of my stuff is rack.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

All I see is synths, who is that? Should I know? :( I don't like missing the joke.

e: An M1 can't be bad. There are so many sweet songs were made using the M1.

net work error fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 6, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
There were so many songs made using a piano preset.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Hey, an organ preset too. M1 was as all over the place as the DX7.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Maybe a couple of outboard racks and something small, a VST or two, but certainly not just spending that entire half on a single expensive vintage synth which I'll be terrified of damaging because that would be really stupgently caress"

They're pretty robust. I'd feel safer traveling with that than a fleet of wavestations. :v:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
According to AIM a few people didn't know "gently caress" was a link. Also, robust or not I'm terrified of hurting it. :ohdear:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sizone posted:

I can only pick out an asr-10, a microkorg and an m1. What's the deal with no rack gear though? I've got, like, not counting some novelty casios, 2 keyboard synths and all the rest of my stuff is rack.

I had the N364 as my first synth (the grey one under the microkorg)

It's a great synth for gig's, but loving horrible for sound design. At least I got $800 for it... which is what I paid for it new.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

net work error posted:

All I see is synths, who is that? Should I know? :( I don't like missing the joke.
Her name is Johallyn Luy Tecladista-de AraVan. I only know of her because she posted the above photo on KORG's Facebook page.

She likes synths and satan. Really, what else is there?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Really, what else is there?

Not lovely synths?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
That's why she's into satan. In hell, the only synth you can have is a Microkorg.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

All gear is poo poo, hail Satan

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks to the advice from the previous thread, I'm feeling brave enough to make my own leads, plan my patchbay, and hook everything up in a usable state (I hope). It's never been very productive playing one synth at a time through awful headphones so I'm coming out from lurking to publicly commit myself to getting this done.

Griff Lee did you post anything from your Little Bits Synth yet? I'm keen to hear it if you do.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Go for it, Stoca Zola! I've just finished rearranging some of my rackmount stuff to setup my drum/effects rack.

Not shown: lots of over-thinking and head scratching.

Hrm, this digital clock doesn't seem to function right. :saddowns:

On the long-past topic of using guitar pedals on synths, my recommendation for that is to have some EQ pedals to hand if you're lacking in full fat mixer channels (Behringer sell some graphic EQ pedals for dirt cheap). Being able to sonically sculpt the input to find the right sweet spot is a god-send. The Line6 PODs are also great at giving synth tones some wonderful heft and weight.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

Griff Lee did you post anything from your Little Bits Synth yet? I'm keen to hear it if you do.

I haven't posted anything yet but I've been playing with it constantly for the last few days and it's boatloads of fun. I will try to share ASAP! :)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Your Computer posted:

Since it's really neat having a tiny speaker when you just want to sit down with a synth and do some noodling without wiring everything up, I've decided on the name Noodles :colbert:

Noodles is a great name for a speaker bunny. :3:

Junior says "hi." (Get off that modular, Junior, before I start blaming you for it's non-functional state.)

Griff Lee posted:

I haven't posted anything yet but I've been playing with it constantly for the last few days and it's boatloads of fun. I will try to share ASAP! :)

In the meantime, you still need to tell us the name of your fluffy synth kitty. :colbert:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

ynohtna posted:

On the long-past topic of using guitar pedals on synths, my recommendation for that is to have some EQ pedals to hand if you're lacking in full fat mixer channels (Behringer sell some graphic EQ pedals for dirt cheap). Being able to sonically sculpt the input to find the right sweet spot is a god-send. The Line6 PODs are also great at giving synth tones some wonderful heft and weight.

I've been getting more into guitar effects the last month or so actually. So far I've found the OCD Fulltone overdrive to be pretty nifty for synthy bass stuff (it can do HP and LP overdrive) and I just got a Moog Ring Modulator in the mail. The Red Panda Particle is a quite interesting grain delay I have my eye on. Trying to find a good cheapo compression pedal as well for drums.

I've got the POD X3 right now actually and it gives you a lot of options as far as effects go. I was able to make it do some REALLY great tones on some sub bass the other day, but now that I'm building out an actual pedal collection I'm think about selling off the X3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

ynohtna posted:

In the meantime, you still need to tell us the name of your fluffy synth kitty. :colbert:

Lucy, Queen of the Dumb Idiots <3