Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Dandywalken posted:

The jacked-up later tier research prices should be neat. Anyone know the math to determine how long it'd take to reach Tier 4 units flat-out using the new research model? Or are there too many factors to really estimate it?

poo poo, I wouldnt complain if it was like 100 turns honestly :P

It depends on how many cities you have, how fast you make them, and what buildings you make(eg. laboratory increases research.)

I teched straight for it and got there in 58 turns, I expanded pretty quickly(5-8 towns/cities/metropolises) and got research buildings quickly. So I probably did it faster than most.

But that might actually be somewhat deceptive because my cheater opponent was repeatedly sending tier 4 units against me by turn 15, so I spent a lot of time building tier 2 units to fight off attacks instead of constructing observatories, ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So I just invaded a Dwarf theocrat's city that was defended by 8 units with a whopping 32.
2 of his 8 units were shrines of smiting, and 2 were firstborn.
I've never seen so many good men die at once.

On a related note, what counters shrines of smiting?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Deltasquid posted:

So I just invaded a Dwarf theocrat's city that was defended by 8 units with a whopping 32.

They are machines, so anything geared more towards fighting machines will demolish them. Don't use arrows or blight, use fire and sabotage.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

They're machines, arch-druid has a great anti-machine spell and Adept of Water has rot.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Schach posted:

I feel like information I want is often not within easy grasp. When building units there doesn't seem to be any way to see their tier before you produce one? Also is there a way to see more information about your and others' leaders, mainly spell specializations?

You can click (right click I think) on a unit icon in the build screen to see their infocard. To see a leader's specialization you need to find them on the campaign map, then click (it's left normally) his/her potrait, the spheres are noted in the upper left of their infocard.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

What the others said and the Firstborn. They can walk up to the shrines gently caress them up hard

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Tried out the beta patch, and I must say that I find the research pacing to be vastly improved. I've found that I like the empire builder mode for random maps, since it gives a very good sense of progression (from fighting off hostile neutrals and founding a core of cities up to skirmishing with neighboring wizards and courting neutral cities, aiming at the eventual showdown with the rest of the map). The problem before was you could pretty much research everything you needed early without any trouble, and then once you had any core set of cities then even late-game techs were inconsequential to research. Now it feels like I'm making choices in my tech selection.

That said, I haven't gotten far enough to really gauge the mid- and late-game research pace yet. But this is definitely an improvement already!

Triskelli posted:

To the person that said dire penguins need to be epic mounts:

Chop chop Gerblyn

Oh my god this must happen.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.

Autsj posted:

You can click (right click I think) on a unit icon in the build screen to see their infocard. To see a leader's specialization you need to find them on the campaign map, then click (it's left normally) his/her potrait, the spheres are noted in the upper left of their infocard.

Ya I knew about that but this is why I feel like I have to be missing something. In the build menu, neither mouseover nor the infocard seem to show the actual Tier. Thanks for the info about finding spheres. It'd be nice if you could get that information about enemies without hunting down the little dude on the map.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Triskelli posted:

To the person that said dire penguins need to be epic mounts:

You guys are being entirely too silly right now. :colbert:

Expansion hook GOLD right there Gerblyn. Front box material and everything.

Zore posted:

I do wish stuff besides Unicorn Sires was more common in the lower level treasure sites.

I must have gotten twenty of those guys by now. In comparison, I've only found one Hellhound and one Blight Boar. I haven't even seen a Spider/Wyvern/Felhorse etc. yet.

Don't get me wrong, phase is pretty sweet. But having my Dreadnaught Goblin prancing around on a Unicorn is a bit weird with all the machines/wargs/beetles surrounding him.

I like that its a Sorc thing, but i'd love to see a neutral site dedicated to occasionally restocking with mounts. Some kind of mythical stables that only spawns on mountains perhaps?

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 5, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I do wish stuff besides Unicorn Sires was more common in the lower level treasure sites.

I must have gotten twenty of those guys by now. In comparison, I've only found one Hellhound and one Blight Boar. I haven't even seen a Spider/Wyvern/Felhorse etc. yet.

Don't get me wrong, phase is pretty sweet. But having my Dreadnaught Goblin prancing around on a Unicorn is a bit weird with all the machines/wargs/beetles surrounding him.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, there arent a very wide choice of mounts it seems.

Finding units as loot is also sort of odd in some cases. Like getting a unit of Wargs as a reward for clearing an area. I'd rather just ride one!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Anyone else feel that human racials are.. lackluster? I try to avoid marine combat at all costs, so having less of a penalty when using ground units on the water, plus an unnoticable +5 production be the only racial bonuses seem a bit iffy. 5 production in 99% of cases isn't enough to shave a turn off, and excess production is wasted, so it seems kinda pointless. I'm not sure what they should get but it feels like.. something. 10-20% bonus xp towards rank ups, or maybe some sort of bonus to cavalry, or some more liked terrain. Human units are decent, but I find myself mostly using human priests more than any of their other unit, just because spirit damage is so rare and precious, while good cavalry is a dime a dozen.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 5, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah, there arent a very wide choice of mounts it seems.

Finding units as loot is also sort of odd in some cases. Like getting a unit of Wargs as a reward for clearing an area. I'd rather just ride one!

Yeah, you can get Wargs and Boars really easily from any great farm. And a random irregular tier one for clearing a bandit camp.

Getting some of the more esoteric stuff is a lot harder though. I've found a Griffin in a Legendary? ruin (tier 2 monster which isn't available any other way as far as I know. Despite the fact you can summon undead birds as a Druid). Ditto a Troll once. And I've seen people get sweet mounts only through the tier 1 Sorcerer spell that gives you an egg.

I think randomizing unit rewards, so that you can get Trolls/baby spiders/baby serpents/Kobolds as rare rewards for low level dungeons would be cool. Monsters that evolve in general are really awesome and I think are a perfect thing to get for exploring stuff. You need to put effort in to protecting and leveling them to get a unique tier 3, which can be a fun little metagame.

Summon Animal has this a bit since you can get a Warg/Boar/Hunter Spider. With the spider being by far the rarest, and having the worst stats off the bat, but the ability to turn into a sweet spider queen.

Also Wargs and Boars should also evolve. Dire Warg/Dire Boar, make it happen Triumph :colbert:

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 5, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Items carry over on the campaign btw, so whenever you play a sorcerer you should totally spam invoke mount if you can.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Items carry over on the campaign btw, so whenever you play a sorcerer you should totally spam invoke mount if you can.

I didn't think of this the one map I got to be a sorcerer and I kind of regret it now.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Slammed hard last night as a fabulous Elven Druid. Whoever said Vengeful Vines was the most impressive spell in the game wasn't kidding. Between that and my summoned shock eels and Horned Gods I was a siege machine without any kind of actual siege equipment. I will note that in the last three games I've played I've found boots of useless whateverwalk in something like 95% of my loot drops. The other drops have been five unicorn mounts, a warg mount, and a soup that gave my caster dragon breath.

Elven Hunters are so good as to be almost ridiculous. I had a couple units of those that I built early game that last the whole game long.

Highlights of that game include defending a city with 5 dragon archers versus like 10 or so infantry that just refused to clump up and learning that I can pretty much use walls + elven archers as Good Enough defense against any non-flying threat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rabhadh posted:

They're machines, arch-druid has a great anti-machine spell and Adept of Water has rot.

Being neither of these or a dreadnought basically means you have to brute force them, which means you will take retarded losses. They're terribly not fun to fight in any capacity(unless you're dwarves, in which case you can simply walk over them).

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Kanos posted:

Being neither of these or a dreadnought basically means you have to brute force them, which means you will take retarded losses. They're terribly not fun to fight in any capacity(unless you're dwarves, in which case you can simply walk over them).

Well, if you're a rogue, a wide number of your units should have the ability Sabotage. Alternatively, you could get your heroes to beef up their holy resistance. Dreadnoughts also get the sabotage ability (I believe) on some of their units/heroes. I'm sure the Warlord and Wizzzard have good ways of dealing with them as well, but I haven't played either much.

Failing any of those, you can bait out their AoE attack and focus them down with long range artillery/heavy hitting melee.

Vv Good point. When I was writing this post up I had fighting 1-2 shrines in mind, not a doom stack of 6 (As I hear most people talking about.)

Hopefully that just shouldn't happen after the next patch. vV

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 5, 2014

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Arrrthritis posted:

Well, if you're a rogue, a wide number of your units should have the ability Sabotage. Alternatively, you could get your heroes to beef up their holy resistance. Dreadnoughts also get the sabotage ability (I believe) on some of their units/heroes. I'm sure the Warlord and Wizzzard have good ways of dealing with them as well, but I haven't played either much.

Failing any of those, you can bait out their AoE attack and focus them down with long range artillery/heavy hitting melee.

Sabotage seems pretty questionable against shrines due to its range of one versus a Shrine's gigantic AoE. If Shrines couldn't move before using it or something Sabotage might work, but I don't really see any way for most non-Dwarves to deal with multiple Shrines at once.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Playing the new beta version of the final mission is a lot nicer, having the basic buildings already in your cities is a huge relief. Still hella hard, though. The main thing I've discovered is the most powerful spell in the game is Chaos Rift, and if you leveled up Laryssa in earlier missions enough that she can cast Chaos Rift from the get go she can defeat pretty much any army by casting Chaos Rift and stalling/running in circles and distracting them with throwaway units. The problem is, there's only one Laryssa and it only takes one mistake for her to get cornered and killed.

DoubleDonut posted:

Sabotage seems pretty questionable against shrines due to its range of one versus a Shrine's gigantic AoE. If Shrines couldn't move before using it or something Sabotage might work, but I don't really see any way for most non-Dwarves to deal with multiple Shrines at once.

Scoundrels are cheap, quick to produce, and low-tier, so you can easily produce a lot of chaff scoundrels in smaller villages - you can send them in two at a time if you really want to avoid an aoe, but if you make a shrine waste the once-per-battle aoe on some trash units instead of a heavier hitter then it's at least a small victory for you.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

This game owns. I was playing a random map and Ran into one of my computer players fairly quickly. We got along fine, but after I cleared out some treasure sites, he settled a city near them before my builder could get there! This dick does this repeatedly.

I then found a legendary knife that gives me bonus damage vs elves. The game is trying to tell me something.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
So.... uhhh...

The AI will sell metropolises for 400 crystals. I bought an entire nation piece by piece then when he had no land left and his army had all decayed from lack of upkeep I declared war and killed his hero. This works on Emperor level AI. You can even do it on their last city/throne city. I'm not sure about how low I can get on the price though, I ran out of cities to experiment with.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Kanos posted:

Wizards' tier 4 Eldritch Horror has spirit immunity and will absolutely destroy the things + they're summons so you can be pumping out chaff units while you constantly get the horrors up. Can't help with Warrior yet though - that's next on my list to play.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Some of the abilities you can find on Items are hilarious. I have a Hero currently with a Stun Rod, a Freeze Rod, and a Cannon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Wolpertinger posted:

Scoundrels are cheap, quick to produce, and low-tier, so you can easily produce a lot of chaff scoundrels in smaller villages - you can send them in two at a time if you really want to avoid an aoe, but if you make a shrine waste the once-per-battle aoe on some trash units instead of a heavier hitter then it's at least a small victory for you.

Being cheap, quick to produce, and low-tier means that scoundrels can pretty easily get mulched outright by any and all supporting troops the shrines have in attendance before getting into range to drop the sabotages. Even then, successfully sabotaging one or two doesn't mean you've won or even necessarily killed the Shrines.

They're pretty unique among the tier 4s in that they're very binary to fight against. With most tier 4s(possible exception of nasty stuff like Manticores lead by a first strike-granting hero) you can swamp them or deal with them pretty effectively with almost any school of magic. To deal with shrines efficiently you need to either be a very specific class/magic school or to be dwarves/lucked into a dwarf city. If you have any of these, you're fine. If you don't have any of these you basically have to commit to a Stalingrad-esque meatgrinder. The new changes to them should help a bit, I guess.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I keep playing random maps on the 4th difficulty where apparently everyone just wants to live together in unity and all of the AI offers me peace and alliances all game long.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

MadHat posted:

Some of the abilities you can find on Items are hilarious. I have a Hero currently with a Stun Rod, a Freeze Rod, and a Cannon.

My commonwealth main hero dreadnought dude has a his gun, a drill of tunneling, a spirit bolt staff, a wand that can mind control enemies at range and can also cast weakening touch, a shirt of resist 40% fire/frost/lightning, a shield of static shield, rides a giant spider with 40% blight protection, web spit, wall climbing, and night vision, boots of forestry and wetland walking, a ring of +40% phys protection, a locket of 100% spirit immunity and mind control immunity, a hood of -50% upkeep cost for units in his army, and a knife of backstabbing. He's pretty much Inspector Gadget.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

MadHat posted:

I found a rod that basically gives you the horned god's range aoe lighting attack that can stun :getin:

[e] I really enjoy the balance of the units in this game. The powerful units feel strong, but you still can't be dumb with them because they will still get shredded if they get flanked. In a game like eador you need a bunch of magic weapons and a powerful army to even think about taking out a dragon.

This is also the only game of it's genre that has the lower half of units actually have a use throughout the game.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The beta patch is pitch perfect

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This game is pretty great, but I kind of miss being able to pick a race to play as like you could in previous games. Only question I have is if its possible to play this game and be effective while staying small/compact like you can in Civ5?

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...
I'm loving this game so far. It hits all the right marks for a new AoW game. Even if the wyverns look a little goofy. Is it me or do the heads seem out of place?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Furnaceface posted:

Only question I have is if its possible to play this game and be effective while staying small/compact like you can in Civ5?

Not really, I've been playing smaller maps because I'm literally too stupid to deal with more than 4 or 5 cities before getting overwhelmed.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm somehow managing to do the final mission with the new beta changes :psyduck:. I was wandering around with Laryssa and her army-destroying Chaos Rift spell, and bumped into Saridas - the problem was she didn't have the magic stick I needed to capture Saridas. So, I sent it in the courier - four turns. To keep him around I ran her around razing cities keeping him chasing me down, and lo and behold it showed up - just as he swarmed me. I chaos rifted and using my entire nearby troops to delay long enough for it to work, so most of his troops died. He was about to die from Chaos Rift too, so I had to cancel it, and barely managed to finish off his last monster : an Eldritch Horror, with only laryssa left. He promptly ran away, which was pretty funny. However, next turn, he managed to pull in two summons to assist him, so it was just Larissa vs Saridas, a wisp, and a phantom warrior - somehow he was too much of a coward to push his advantage and I managed to snipe both his summons down with ranged attacks, then ran in and charged him with the stick of leader imprisonment, winning the fight and managing to somehow run away as a lone hero literally in the middle of their base, by the time some loners caught me I had two hellhounds and mana to cast Chaos Rift again, so I'm escaping.

The problem is, imprisoning Saridas doesn't seem to have made him unable to control his armies or cities so I'm going to have to somehow perform the same miracle on emperor Leonus with Saridas & friends troops hot on my heals if I want to win this. :ohdear:

Furnaceface posted:

This game is pretty great, but I kind of miss being able to pick a race to play as like you could in previous games. Only question I have is if its possible to play this game and be effective while staying small/compact like you can in Civ5?

What do you mean? You can pick your race. Unless you mean you can't pick all the aow2 races (someday, maybe, expansions!) or the campaign, which yes is predefined (but it was in AoW2 too, so.)

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 5, 2014

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Kanos posted:

Edit: Misunderstood what you were asking, I'm dumb.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 5, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Jesus! My dreadnought leader just soloed two juggernauts, a hero, and three spy drones :stare:. I had somehow not realized until this point that you can attack 2/3x with sabotage - once you survive a round in melee range you can do like 80 damage if you're a godlike hero. Throw in a bunch of fire resistance from items/levelups, tons of defense, decent resist, the protection field spell, and the 'great healing showers' spell that heals a random one of my units every turn for 12 (but I had only one unit), and the fact that dreadnoughts tend to ram single lone targets,.. yeah.

Now I'm just running through his 2-3 stacks of juggernauts solo and murdering them all. :stare:

I guess this teaches you the importance of having infantry to support your juggernauts!

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 5, 2014

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I should have been asleep hours ago, but I just had to keep playing the beta patch. This game is a ton of fun now. I can't emphasize enough how much I'm digging the Empire Builder pacing on a Small size map: games have an early game, midgame, and endgame, and are even completable within a single evening's play!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Thanks, AOW3, I have ruined my ability to maintain normal relationships with my family because I stay up too late being religious elves.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Yes, but you need to find a way to stop the AI getting lots of cities too.

Easiest way is to make an RMG map and set: Cities = Few, Dwellings = Few, City Founding = Disabled.

In that way, mid game empire should only be 4 or 5 cities. Playing like Venice in Civ5 and conquering the world from one city isn't at all viable though (unless you literally constrict the AI to just one city too).

Wolpertinger posted:

The problem is, imprisoning Saridas doesn't seem to have made him unable to control his armies or cities so I'm going to have to somehow perform the same miracle on emperor Leonus with Saridas & friends troops hot on my heals if I want to win this. :ohdear:

I'll have to check with someone on Monday, but that sounds like a bug. AFAIK imprisoning Saridas should make him surrender to you in some way...

Edit: I can't PM you, could you maybe upload a save to dropbox and post a link? If you broke the scripting we could take a look and see why Saridas is still fighting.

Kanos posted:

Playing a Lord difficulty random map as a goblin warlord, ended up having every AI declare war on me on sight. Fine, okay, good practice for fighting on multiple fronts. I manage to squash one, start making inroads on another. Then I realize that three of my remaining opponents are theocrats. Cue the ridiculous, loving endless stream of Shrine of Smiting/Exalted stacks torpedoing into my territory like guerilla infiltrators from all directions. None of my garrisons can handle this in the slightest, so I spent about 45-50 turns playing whack a mole with my hero stacks squashing the endless tide of annoying garbage flowing in from all directions before finally quitting in disgust because I didn't see a way to dig out of the eternal cycle.

In principle, if the guy is fielding Shrines + Exalted, you should go Manticore Rider + Phalanx. Phalanxes will absolutely shred Exalted, and are tough enough that the Shrines won't just melt them. The manticore riders should be able to get up to the shrines and trash them before they can do much damage. This is theory crafting though.

A lot of people are complaining that we should somehow nerf T4 spam, and we're hoping that removing devout from them should help with the Shrines. It's tricky though, because as you say, often they can be countered by correct troop choices and clever play, but then what do you do if you don't have the counters available?

Wolpertinger posted:

Jesus! My dreadnought leader just soloed two juggernauts, a hero, and three spy drones :stare:. I had somehow not realized until this point that you can attack 2/3x with sabotage - once you survive a round in melee range you can do like 80 damage if you're a godlike hero. Throw in a bunch of fire resistance from items/levelups, tons of defense, decent resist, the protection field spell, and the 'great healing showers' spell that heals a random one of my units every turn for 12 (but I had only one unit), and the fact that dreadnoughts tend to ram single lone targets,.. yeah.

That's awesome. Could you screenshot your leader's hero panel? Beta Testers reported you could get a hero capable of soloing Multiple Tier 4s, but I never managed it myself. I'm curiosu to see what it takes.

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

The AI will sell metropolises for 400 crystals. I bought an entire nation piece by piece then when he had no land left and his army had all decayed from lack of upkeep I declared war and killed his hero. This works on Emperor level AI. You can even do it on their last city/throne city. I'm not sure about how low I can get on the price though, I ran out of cities to experiment with.

Looks like one for the next patch. Thanks!

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 5, 2014

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Gerblyn - I don't know how you Dutch fucks managed to do it, but ya'll made the best 4x game in a decade. And it's not full of bugs. This is an amazing piece of work, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Can I just say how absolutely stellar everything is? From the fantastic music to the art style to the polished gameplay and Gerblyn actively posting here, I feel like a ton of love has gone into AoW3. It's early, but I might already nominate this for my favorite game of 2014.

EDIT: I have one gripe though, every time I launch the game, the launcher decides I want to play in French and I have to change it before launching the game. Both steam and my OS are in English so I guess my game goes "oh you live in Belgium? Guess you speak French then" which might be true but I'd still like the launcher to remember my last settings in English. Unless there's a toggle I'm overlooking somewhere?

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 5, 2014

• Locked thread