Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I remember seeing a trailer for Song of the Sea years ago, but I always heard that they'd never managed to get the funding for it. Nice to see it's actually being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm rarely as mixed about a movie as I was about Secret of the Kells. The movie was absolutely gorgeous but the writing was pretty much garbage supporting an extremely generic plot. I think I like it overall but I also think that I could watch it on mute and pretty much get the same experience.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Looper posted:

Is anyone else really excited for Song of the Sea? It's supposed to be coming out this year and is by the same people who did the Secret of Kells a few years ago, which didn't exactly have a groundbreaking plot or anything but it was really cute and really really pretty! Plus it's always nice to see some of the more underused (but still admittedly European) mythologies in such vibrant color. This one's about selkies, magical seals that can turn into humans.

Holy poo poo, are those frames from the film? If those aren't just concept art pictures, I'd watch that.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I loved Secret of the Kells, and I am excited to hear the same people are making another movie. I hope it is just as gorgeous.

I'm kind of shocked to hear someone describing Secret of Kells as generic story wise. The hero doesn't win. There's no romance plot. The magic isn't particularly explained or important. I agree that the plotting was very slow, but I thought that it was an odd story.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wittgen posted:

I loved Secret of the Kells, and I am excited to hear the same people are making another movie. I hope it is just as gorgeous.

I'm kind of shocked to hear someone describing Secret of Kells as generic story wise. The hero doesn't win. There's no romance plot. The magic isn't particularly explained or important. I agree that the plotting was very slow, but I thought that it was an odd story.

The ending is basically Les Mis but with a book instead of a girl.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember the movie that well anymore but I just remember the dialogue being abysmal and maybe "generic" isn't the right word for the plot as much as "dull".

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah story wise I just thought it was super mediocre. I dunno. It was just like "eh that was alright" but the animation was pretty sweet.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Was it better or worse than that Ferngully ripoff from last year?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The story was serviceable, but completely forgettable.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Dull is hard to argue with. It was definitely slow and there wasn't a lot of conflict. Gorgeous animation is what the movie is really about.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Just short of literally, in fact.

I loved The Secret of Kells so I will be keeping an eye out for this.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It's been a while since I've seen it, but personally Secret of the Kells felt like a film whose story was supposed to be elevated by it's characters and acting, but it didn't have any where close to enough interesting character interactions, and no especially interesting actors or acting. It's hook is it's visuals and animation, which are undeniably well done, but nothing else. The writing of the film felt lacking in any sort of significant substance to keep viewers engaged, especially in the long term.

The friendship between Aisling and Brendan felt rushed and under-developed, rather than a deep personal bond that the film seemed to project on them. The conflict is fairly unremarkable, where the vikings are so vague and generically menacing that they could be the Huns or Romans or an evil cloud for all intents and purposes. Meanwhile I had completely forgotten about Crom Cruach until I refreshed myself with wikipedia while writing this. The fact that it is based heavily on Irish mythology is very interesting conceptually, but the film's heavy reliance on it leads to a lot of the world to feel underdeveloped and unexplored. It honestly feels like admittedly well done fan fiction. To the people of Ireland and the those who study it's myths might feel quite a bit of emotional attachment, but to someone who has never heard of the Book of Kells will just see a film about a kid protecting an allegedly importanat book because the book. It's too personal and specific to engage a wider audience. Sad enough to say, but this film probably could use to stand some Disney-fication in order to help explain and give importance to it's ideas and concepts.

As far as it concerns me, the most memorable part was Aisling, and the second most was how little her presence was felt even though the marketing and the film seemed to rely on her. She seems to suffer the same way that Elsa does in Frozen. For the most part the film is about her, but she doesn't do enough or is around enough to feel completely worthwhile. At least what Aisling had over Elsa was much stronger characterization, to the point where I felt the fact that Aisling was too strong of a character to just be second-string to Brendan. All in all, our protagonist is just too unengaging, Aisling doesn't do enough, the vikings feel as present as a rolling fog, and the world these characters live in is too unexplored to feel special or important.
But despite all this, when I see these stils, I can't help but love this movie:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SomeJazzyRat posted:

As far as it concerns me, the most memorable part was Aisling, and the second most was how little her presence was felt even though the marketing and the film seemed to rely on her. She seems to suffer the same way that Elsa does in Frozen. For the most part the film is about her, but she doesn't do enough or is around enough to feel completely worthwhile.

Yeah, I kind of find it odd that she mostly disappears from the film towards the end, even though she was an important character beforehand.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Third and final trailer for How to Train Your Dragon 2 just went up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q50qp9ujAHE

Be warned, it's very, very spoilery. Very spoilery.

Looks adorable though. Especially the bits where Toothless and Hiccup are goofing about (Hiccups' method of naming new islands is...idiosyncratic).

I like the design of Cate Blanchetts' character and the new dragons too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Irisi posted:

Third and final trailer for How to Train Your Dragon 2 just went up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q50qp9ujAHE

Be warned, it's very, very spoilery. Very spoilery.

Looks adorable though. Especially the bits where Toothless and Hiccup are goofing about (Hiccups' method of naming new islands is...idiosyncratic).

I like the design of Cate Blanchetts' character and the new dragons too.

Just as spoilery as the first trailer, but holy hell did this new one give me goosebumps. Jonsi needs to soundtrack more animated films :allears: and I'm really getting some heavy Final Fantasy vibes too. So good.

[edit] Realized that youtube link is down. You can watch it on Apple/Quicktime/iTunes/Whatever Apple ish here: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/howtotrainyourdragon2/

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 10, 2014

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

teagone posted:

Just as spoilery as the first trailer, but holy hell did this new one give me goosebumps. Jonsi needs to soundtrack more animated films :allears: and I'm really getting some heavy Final Fantasy vibes too. So good.

[edit] Realized that youtube link is down. You can watch it on Apple/Quicktime/iTunes/Whatever Apple ish here: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/howtotrainyourdragon2/

I thought they had the same deal going with Jonsi as in the last movie, make one song for the credits. He's at least not credited for the music in the film, and the only Jonsi-esque music I could hear starts around the 0:40 mark, where Toothless dives through the clouds. There was another vocal in the end, but sounded a bit too regular to be Jonsi.

Feel free to prove me wrong, I'm interested in this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Iced Cocoa posted:

I thought they had the same deal going with Jonsi as in the last movie, make one song for the credits. He's at least not credited for the music in the film, and the only Jonsi-esque music I could hear starts around the 0:40 mark, where Toothless dives through the clouds. There was another vocal in the end, but sounded a bit too regular to be Jonsi.

He's doing three songs for this movie I think. I suppose I meant Jonsi needs to actually do the score for animated films, not just do a few one off songs for the soundtrack.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Ah, if that's right the last vocal is most likely Jonsi. And listening to it again I see I was a bit too quick to judge it.

I don't quite see the appeal of him or Sigur Rós doing an entire movie or animation soundtrack, but I guess that's because I'm used to more "usual" music in movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Iced Cocoa posted:

Ah, if that's right the last vocal is most likely Jonsi. And listening to it again I see I was a bit too quick to judge it.

I don't quite see the appeal of him or Sigur Rós doing an entire movie or animation soundtrack, but I guess that's because I'm used to more "usual" music in movies.

I feel like Jonsi's/Sigur Ros' style of music is better suited to films than like, music by M83 or Daft Punk, both of whom turned out pretty good scores for their respective films (thought M83s was bland here and there though). I think maybe Jonsi/Sigur Ros could make something really special for a film, animated or not (I'd prefer an animated film though :D).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something that I've noticed that mainly appears in Animations (and Musicals) is that the best ones have a gigantic 'moment'. A defining moment of emotional abstraction that either contains a character at the Peak or the Nadir of their narrative arc. A moment that either makes you look like this :qq:, or this :swoon:

Peaks:
Frozen - Let it go. The moment in which Elsa is at her happiest, experiencing boundless joy at finally not having to hide who she is anymore.
Les Miserables - So you hear the people sing. Blind, naive hope at a potential new dawn
Ratatouille - Ego's Flashback. Anton Ego remembering a feeling that he hasn't had in years, and his boundless joy at recalling that there are thing in life worth enjoying.

Nadirs:
Les Miserables - I dreamed a dream, On my own and At the End of the Day. Fontine, Eponine and the Factory workers respectively. Despair(first two) and Bitterness(End of the Day)
Emperor's New Groove- Leave me alone, or where the movie catches up with itself. Kusco's self loathing coming to a head as he crushes what's left of his own ego, which keeps interrupting the narrative at inappropriate moments.
Paranorman - The finale, or "I don't want to go to sleep(and you can't make me). Agatha's unrestrained fury and rage at her treatment by the townspeople and her only full scene making her the epitome of the one scene wonder.

These, of course, are just examples but weaker movies don't really have those moments. Cars came close with the big race, but the truly terrible movies don't have ones that can latch onto you, and are not as memorable in the long run as a result.

Any thoughts?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
An interesting trend at least from Disney movies has been that the most memorable song has been basically the opposite of the message the film is trying to say.

Ex: Hakuna Matata, Under the Sea, I'll Make a Man Out of You, Mother Knows Best, and of course Let it Go.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

computer parts posted:

An interesting trend at least from Disney movies has been that the most memorable song has been basically the opposite of the message the film is trying to say.

And if it isn't that, it's the villain song. Hmmmm....

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You mentioned Villain songs, you fool. Be Prepared for the derail of the century. :P

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
No one villain songs like Gaston

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012

computer parts posted:

Ex: Hakuna Matata, Under the Sea, I'll Make a Man Out of You, Mother Knows Best, and of course Let it Go.

Wouldn't put Mother Knows Best in the same category, it already being obvious that Gothel was a villain.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

computer parts posted:

Hakuna Matata and Under the Sea are basically temptation songs where the hero has to overcome the attraction of sitting around getting baked all day and actually do something productive with their life. In Lion King it takes Simba years to outgrow sitting around the jungle doing dick all, in Little Mermaid it's her old lifes last ditch effort to hold her back. The fact that they're contrary to the message of the film and are attractive and catchy at the same time is sort of the point, the protagonist has to resist them, and if they weren't great songs it wouldn't be much of a feat.

Mother knows Best is the same thing but using fear and shame rather than the promise of an easy life to keep Rapunzel in line and under control. Again the song has to be catchy or ignoring it is easy.

I wouldn't say Let It Go is the *opposite* of the message of Frozen as much as a step in the right direction. Elsa is coming to terms with her powers and becoming more comfortable with them, but isn't yet ready to reveal them around other people. Contrast with the earlier parts where she's scared of her powers and of people, and the end where she's comfortable with both. It's the beginning of her journey rather than the end but it's definitely a point along the way.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Fatkraken posted:

Hakuna Matata and Under the Sea are basically temptation songs where the hero has to overcome the attraction of sitting around getting baked all day and actually do something productive with their life. In Lion King it takes Simba years to outgrow sitting around the jungle doing dick all, in Little Mermaid it's her old lifes last ditch effort to hold her back. The fact that they're contrary to the message of the film and are attractive and catchy at the same time is sort of the point, the protagonist has to resist them, and if they weren't great songs it wouldn't be much of a feat.

Mother knows Best is the same thing but using fear and shame rather than the promise of an easy life to keep Rapunzel in line and under control. Again the song has to be catchy or ignoring it is easy.

If this is how we are taking the discussion, I would say that Topsy Turvy would fall under this categorization. The song is all about how everyone can forget their cares for a day and do whatever the hell they want with no repercussions. This sets up Quasimodo for a fall because when he is crowned the King of Fools he's strapped to a turnstile and mocked and ridiculed in front of everyone. Why I feel it falls under the categorization of being the opposite of the message of the film is that Quasi has been duped into thinking that for one day his disfigurement will be taken in a lighthearted, jovial manner but instead he shambles back into the safety of the cathedral with the thought that Frollo was right, people will laugh at him, mock him and even beat him no matter the circumstances.

Unlike Mother Knows Best (which is pretty obviously a Villain song) this song is the Be Our Guest of the film, it's the big musical number where all of the showmanship and colour and excitement occurs so you would think that it would actually allow Quasi to be out of the Cathedral and no one would know the wiser. This song is quite deceptive, of course bringing out the idea that Hunchback is a waaaaaay deeper film than most would think on first watch. And then it has stupid, preachy songs like God Help the Outcasts. It wouldn't be a Disney movie without one of those

Of course upon writing this I realise that A Guy Like You fits the category better but gently caress that song, as far as I'm concerned that song does not exist.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Hunchback has Hellfire which is far and away the best Disney villain song of all time and I'm one of those joyless assholes who could never stand Disney songs in any form and would fast forward through the "sing-y parts" even as a kid

I think it helps that hunchback is a really dark movie below the surface and I didn't see it till I was in college.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Iced Cocoa posted:

I thought, that John Powell did an amazing job composing the soundtrack to the first movie and am really glad, that he is back.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fatkraken posted:

This, and the reason the "villain" songs are so catchy and memorable is because you need a charismatic villain for the audience to give a poo poo about them and/or the conflict between them and the protagonist. (The only possible exception being Jafar in Aladdin, but that's because "Prince Ali" is the real villain in that movie.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The thing about some villains that I've seen is that the songs that some of them get are their only song in the movie. It seems to symbolise a loss of control, not over their situation but over themselves. Jafar and Frollo are the prime examples. They are subtle and conniving at first, but for Jafar, he gets... excited when his plans start coming to fruition and is allowing himself to stop pretending. "Prince Ali - Reprise" is Jafar completely losing control of his emotions for the first time in years and allowing himself to have a little fun with his evil. It is the purest form of "Mad with Power".

Frollo panics and makes his worst decisions when he loses control of his penis and it spooks him that such base desires affect him too. "Hellfire" is him panicking and rationalising himself before his personal ideal of God, especially as the other monks recite the a prayer admitting to their sins, at peace with that they have no control over and vowing to try harder in great contrast.

Frollo:

It's not my fault
I'm not to Blame
It is the gypsy girl
That witch that sent this flame

It's not my fault...
If in Gods Plan
He made the Devil so much stronger than the man!

Monks(translated from the Latin):
I confess to God almighty
To blessed Mary ever virgin
To the blessed archangel Michael
To the Holy apostles, to all the saints
And to you Father
That I have Sinned, In thought, In word, In deed
Through my fault, through my fault, through my grievous fault
Lord have mercy

Also after re-watching that song just now, when the guard bursts in to check in on him in the middle of the song Frollo is startled, embarrassed, vulnerable, hurriedly fixing his hair. He's basically been caught masturbating.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 12, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm really goddamn certain that Hellfire was very directly inspired by the cut "Mea Culpa" song from Sweeney Todd, wherein the singer actually is masturbating, and climaxes at the end of the song. The primary difference is that in that song, the hatred is entirely self-directed; he doesn't shunt any of it off on the object of his lust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVe8x4iof7s&list=PL831E9AF36E7879B9

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

raditts posted:

This, and the reason the "villain" songs are so catchy and memorable is because you need a charismatic villain for the audience to give a poo poo about them and/or the conflict between them and the protagonist. (The only possible exception being Jafar in Aladdin, but that's because "Prince Ali" is the real villain in that movie.)

Man, I know prejudiced gender roles are the real villain of Mulan but Shan Yu and his happy horde are such bland antagonists. The vikings from Kells might fill a similar role and are similarly uninteresting, but at least they're visually striking. I guess maybe Disney was going for a more serious and subdued villain, considering all the flamboyant and theatrical villainy their movies were more known for? Frozen seems to have pulled that off successfully, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how memorable that bad guy proves.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I do think they made Shan Yu more or less a mute to make him more menacing and a 'force of nature' - which would've been effective if Mulan hadn't effectively wiped out his entire army mid-way through the film.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

couldcareless posted:

No one villain songs like Gaston

Except Jafar in the second Aladdin movie. :colbert:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Darth TNT posted:

I hate that whole movie except for that song, which is amazing and just about validates its entire existence.

BioEnchanted posted:

The thing about some villains that I've seen is that the songs that some of them get are their only song in the movie. It seems to symbolise a loss of control, not over their situation but over themselves. Jafar and Frollo are the prime examples. They are subtle and conniving at first, but for Jafar, he gets... excited when his plans start coming to fruition and is allowing himself to stop pretending. "Prince Ali - Reprise" is Jafar completely losing control of his emotions for the first time in years and allowing himself to have a little fun with his evil. It is the purest form of "Mad with Power".

Frollo panics and makes his worst decisions when he loses control of his penis and it spooks him that such base desires affect him too. "Hellfire" is him panicking and rationalising himself before his personal ideal of God, especially as the other monks recite the a prayer admitting to their sins, at peace with that they have no control over and vowing to try harder in great contrast.
"Hellfire" should also be compared with "Gaston", because I think Frollo has more in common with Gaston than Jafar. Jafar lusts for power and is primarily motivated by jealousy and greed because he's not the one in charge but desires to be. In contrast Frollo is shown to be basically the highest ranking authority in Hunchback. He's used to being respected and getting his way, just like Gaston. Both characters get rebuffed by the targets of their affection, and their songs show how they deal with rejection. Frollo makes excuses for himself while Gaston surrounds himself with yesmen; ultimately the result is the same, that they manage to convince themselves that the flaw is with the girl rather than with themselves, which in turn leads them to devising their course of action.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

BioEnchanted posted:

Frollo:

It's not my fault
I'm not to Blame
It is the gypsy girl
That witch that sent this flame

It's not my fault...
If in Gods Plan
He made the Devil so much stronger than the man!

Monks(translated from the Latin):
I confess to God almighty
To blessed Mary ever virgin
To the blessed archangel Michael
To the Holy apostles, to all the saints
And to you Father
That I have Sinned, In thought, In word, In deed
Through my fault, through my fault, through my grievous fault
Lord have mercy

Also after re-watching that song just now, when the guard bursts in to check in on him in the middle of the song Frollo is startled, embarrassed, vulnerable, hurriedly fixing his hair. He's basically been caught masturbating.

Oh, I hadn't listened to the song in ages and I hadn't notice that they recite the same prayer we do in Catholic church. *Smacks chest three times*

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Darth TNT posted:

I don't remember that one. Got a YouTube link handy?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
You're Only Second Rate

It's sad because the animation quality is just slightly above saturday morning cartoon level, but the animators were trying their hardest to try and make something on the level of "Friend Like Me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Strange Matter posted:

You're Only Second Rate

It's sad because the animation quality is just slightly above saturday morning cartoon level, but the animators were trying their hardest to try and make something on the level of "Friend Like Me."

So is it ever explained why Genie's still wearing his cuffs?

• Locked thread